RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jermeng

Apr 25, 2006, 5:05 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

REI is back in the alien business!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is just an FYI to those who still love their Aliens and those still loyal to CCH (I may fit into one or two of the above categories). As of the 18th, the CPSC has completed their recall of CCH's Alien cams: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06141.html . Their recall is no different than CCH's. You should now start to see these suckers return to the shelves are your local REI and soon on .com.

Jeremy

demand_bub

Apr 25, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Re: REI is back in the alien business! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Free advertising? How about you pay for a banner there Jeremy.

miavzero

Apr 25, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome!
now all they need to do is help Dave pull his head from his butt, and everything should be good to go.

jermeng

Apr 25, 2006, 5:23 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hey, I'll stand by a good company, and REI is just that. I'm just excited to see that the CPSC has finally announced their recall on the Aliens. Now I can get the racks of good (and bad) Aliens off my desk (yes I do work at REI too!). As for CCH, I don't care too much for how they handled the recall, but I do like their Aliens.

-Jeremy

scuclimber

Apr 25, 2006, 6:09 AM
Post #5 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Bah. People will get their Aliens wherever they want. Many on this site detest REI as being corporate, the "Evil Empire of the Outdoor Industry," etc.. He was obviously just giving a PSA. As a disclaimer, I also work at REI, but don't give a rat's ass whether any Aliens leave our shelves or not. We have them in stock at the Saratoga store in the Southern San Francisco Bay Area. We also got C3s in the other day, FYI. Again, I'm just a lowly peon (read: $9.81/hr) in the REI corporate hierarchy who wants his fellow climbers to know that Aliens and C3s are now available via a channel through which they were not available for a while.

Colin

billcoe_

Apr 25, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Appreciate the heads up guys: thanks from us all.

caughtinside

Apr 25, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Appreciate the heads up guys: thanks from us all.

Yep. I take this as a good sign CCH isn't going out of business, which was a real concern of mine. Where else was I going to go to get the best small cams?

PS, I played with a C3 yesterday, and thought the trigger was waaaaay to stiff.

sspssp

Apr 25, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep. I take this as a good sign CCH isn't going out of business, which was a real concern of mine. Where else was I going to go to get the best small cams?

I love my Aliens, but I really wouldn't have been that upset if CCH had gone out of business.

Aliens have a very dedicated following. CCH would have sold its patent to somebody as part of going out of business.

I certainly have nothing against Dave and his crew personally, but you frequently have to wait weeks if not months to get an Aliens. There have been time when hydbrid aliens have seen a six month backlog.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Alien production go to some company that can keep up with orders (nevermind the quality control issues)/

caughtinside

Apr 25, 2006, 9:33 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's true to some extent, but it hasn't exactly worked out with the hb offsets... knowwhatimean?

taraus_de_bull

Apr 25, 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I thought the same thing.

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 25, 2006, 9:58 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Bah. People will get their Aliens wherever they want. Many on this site detest REI as being corporate, the "Evil Empire of the Outdoor Industry," etc.. He was obviously just giving a PSA. As a disclaimer, I also work at REI, but don't give a rat's ass whether any Aliens leave our shelves or not. We have them in stock at the Saratoga store in the Southern San Francisco Bay Area. We also got C3s in the other day, FYI. Again, I'm just a lowly peon (read: $9.81/hr) in the REI corporate hierarchy who wants his fellow climbers to know that Aliens and C3s are now available via a channel through which they were not available for a while.

Colin

Jesus. 9.81 an hour? I know people at McDonalds who make more. I hope the gear discounts makes it worth it.

If not, apply for a job at Wallmart or Home Depot - they pay way more than that.

notch

Apr 25, 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As a disclaimer, I also work at REI, but don't give a rat's ass whether any Aliens leave our shelves or not. We have them in stock at the Saratoga store in the Southern San Francisco Bay Area. We also got C3s in the other day, FYI. Again, I'm just a lowly peon (read: $9.81/hr) in the REI corporate hierarchy who wants his fellow climbers to know that Aliens and C3s are now available via a channel through which they were not available for a while.

Colin

All respect man, but if I'm someone at REI corporate reading this, I'm making a call down to your store and you don't work there anymore.

jimdavis

Apr 25, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As a disclaimer, I also work at REI, but don't give a rat's ass whether any Aliens leave our shelves or not. We have them in stock at the Saratoga store in the Southern San Francisco Bay Area. We also got C3s in the other day, FYI. Again, I'm just a lowly peon (read: $9.81/hr) in the REI corporate hierarchy who wants his fellow climbers to know that Aliens and C3s are now available via a channel through which they were not available for a while.

Colin

All respect man, but if I'm someone at REI corporate reading this, I'm making a call down to your store and you don't work there anymore.
F*ck em..if that's what they're paying their employees, they shouldn't be so ashamed of it that they have to fire someone for making it public.

I made $7.50 at EMS, working seasonally for them...they don't pay much at all. Then they cut down employee hours and I didn't get my job back then next season I was around, despite my high level of gear knowledge (by retail standards) and my experiences in just about every activity the store sells gear for ('cept for biking).

EMS has gone downhill big. Their return policy is getting to be more of a pain in the ass, their gear selection sucks, and they're sales people aren't all that knowledgable...the other online retailers offer better prices, and a better selection. If I want customer service, I'll shop small local stores.

All EMS really had to offer was their return pollicy. You could buy a jacket, beat on it like a borrowed mule, then take it back after a big trip and get something else. Those days seem to be gone...and they've lost my loyalty.

Cheers,
Jim

scuclimber

Apr 26, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Colin

I hope you're referring to my reference to selling Aliens, not my pay. It's pretty common knowledge that we make jack shit and I think the taboo about talking about personal salaries is bullshit. I never said I didn't like working there as a part-time job. I wouldn't do it full-time... at least as my only job in the Bay Area. I wouldn't be able to pay the rent. And perhaps my remark was too flippant (incidentally, I'm not worried about being fired, I was just thinking I might clarify what I said) because of the initial comment about free advertising. It's cool to sell stuff, but we're not on commission and I don't really have very much "company loyalty," so I really don't have much of an incentive to sell things other than to see people have a good time and get good gear. It's a chill work environment, a generally good company, and yeah, the discounts, free gym pass, etc., make it worth it... as a part-time job. But yeah, as to corporate having me fired for a comment like that, I don't think so. :wink:

Colin

notch

Apr 26, 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="scuclimber"][quote="notch"]
In reply to:

I hope you're referring to my reference to selling Aliens, not my pay.

Like I said, no disrespect. I don't think management would be too worried about you posting your salary. However, as one who has worked himself up from front line retail into a corporate position, I'd be ripshit if I logged on and found an employee publicly stating that they didn't care if a product that the company invested in sold. If what you're saying is that you don't care because you're not on commission, that's a different story. OK, I'm done hijacking this thread!

renohandjams

Apr 28, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I certainly have nothing against Dave and his crew personally, but you frequently have to wait weeks if not months to get an Aliens. There have been times when hydbrid aliens have seen a six month backlog.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Alien production go to some company that can keep up with orders (nevermind the quality control issues)/

It is interesting that for being around for so long that supply has never really been able to keep up with demand. Taking basic business classes you would think this wouldn't be a big deal. Need more aliens=hire more people+buy more space=supply met. When we first opened with CCH we were very frustrated with waiting times, sometimes 3-4 months if not longer, now that we have gotten to know Dave better, and our order sizes have begun to grow we have learned to deal with it.

Word of advice: Never do a CCH backorder with anyone (unless it's REI) because they really have no idea when it will show up.

tradrenn

Apr 28, 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just want to say that I'm glad they are back.
About a week ago I was at New Paltz and at Rock and Snow they had quite a few of them just hanging there, good sign if you ask me ( finally I can get some more for way cheaper then I can in Canada )

In reply to:

I absolutely have to agree with you on this one, I was just playing with C3 in the store and I already didn't like them.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting more Aliens.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook