Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

codhands

May 23, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #26 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Re: This vegetarian needs energy! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eat wild Alaskan salmon. Those things go up river/spawn and die an ugly gruesome death. Chunks of meat just hangin' off their bodies, missing eyballs, laying there dying on the beach shallows while the seagulls, ravens, and eagle, rend their putrid flesh from their still alive bodies. And the reason I suggest Alaskan salmon is because of the excellent fish management we have up here. They don't let the fishermen go after them until a certain amount has already gone upstream to spawn. How's that for a job, sitting out in the middle of the wilderness counting fish. Alaskan salmon, damnit!

Partner csgambill

May 23, 2006, 6:10 PM
Post #27 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure why no one has suggested this yet, but there have to be some other biologists out there who have some idea how the body functions.

If you need additional energy, why don't you eat foods that provide you with energy. Since you said you weren't anemic getting oxygen to your cells shouldn't be a problem. But your diet sounds like it may lack carbohydrates. Low carb diets are not healthy for active people, or anyone for an extended period of time. Try eating more breads and pastas. You can still cut fat as it is not an important an energy source for active people such as us climbers. I'm sure you've probably heard it before, but carbohydrates are just another name for sugars. Your body converts sugars to ADP and ATP, which are molecules your muscles use for energy. Sound relevant to your situation? Good :-) Pastas and breads, and I would imagine the cereals you mentioned, are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates (candy is an example of a simple carbohydrates - avoid candy) and a great source of energy. If you've heard of runners carboloading the day before a big race, this is the reason. They load up before a race and use that stored energy the next day during the race.

Now, in addition to carbs your muscles also need calcium to contract. I remember you saying you ate cheese, and I assume you put milk in your cereal - definitely a good thing! Keep it up. Women always seem to need more calcium, I can't remember exactly why though.

Another suggestion is to listen to your body. If you have a craving for something in particular it's probably because your body is lacking some nutrient that food gives you. The body has an amazing array of feedback mechanisms that release hormones that tell you you're hungry, thirsty, have to poop (yaay gastrin!! :lol: sorry) and all sorts of other things. To say the least, it's really pretty incredible.

If you have any more questions or want more detail I can pull out my anatomy and physiology book and give you some more information.

jt512

May 23, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #28 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Another change is that I lost about 10lbs in February from a bad bad flu, and have only gained 2lbs back since then. I also noticed not getting my energy back after the flu even though I snack all day like a madwoman.

Then it sounds like your lack of energy is a lingering effect of your "flu," not your diet. There are some nasty viruses that can leave you feeling lethargic for months or years after the acute symptoms of the disease are gone.

Your diet sounds really good. If you want to gain weight, then increase your intake of high unsaturated-fat foods, such as nuts, nut butters, tofu, olives, and olive oil. Since you have a propensity for high cholesterol, emphasizing high unsaturated-fat foods, such as nuts, rather than carbohydrates, will help keep your LDL-HDL ratio low; unsaturated fats lower LDL-cholesterol only, whereas carbohydrates lower both LDL- and HDL-cholesterol.

Jay

thedus

May 23, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #29 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've suggested it before here, but if you don't already have a copy of Laurel's Kitchen, you should get it and read the nutritional information in the second half. It talks about nutrition from a vegetarian point of view, and really has a tremendous amount of good information, in addition to great recipes and menu suggestions for a balanced diet. In the same thread, jt512 recommended The Vegetarian Way by Messina and Messina.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you're doing, food-wise, and maybe are only missing a small piece of the food puzzle. So, at the risk of being redundant, here are some things that I like that seem to do a good job of providing me with energy:
    [*:19d16c84ce]4 grain hot cereal in the morning with almonds, walnuts, and raisins
    [*:19d16c84ce]yogurt (I make my own)
    [*:19d16c84ce]large salads every night with a variety of veggies
    [*:19d16c84ce]100% whole grain bread (I also make my own)
    [*:19d16c84ce]I tend to eat a lot of peanut butter when I'm out doing things which may or may not be a good thing, but sure seems to keep me going
    [*:19d16c84ce]beans
    [*:19d16c84ce]various cooked grains (rice, wheat berries, barley, quinoa, etc)

Good luck in your quest.

krusher4

May 23, 2006, 6:42 PM
Post #30 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

smoke more grass, then you won't care about having more energy.

cliffwoman

May 23, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #31 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been a veggie for several years -- and I always try to get in a lot of soy and wheat. they have great vegan products now (though a lot of them are processed, maybe they would help). also whole grains and more carbs!!

wjca

May 23, 2006, 6:57 PM
Post #32 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello WW!

A pleasure to meet another veg head.

So, energy tips that help me:

Sprout your Almonds, soak them for 12-24 hours in live water...sometimes it is nice to add a bit of the rosy Himalayan salts. Peel the skins. I think they are high in tannins or some other acid.

Goji Berries, once again soaked and alive! They have the highest fat content of any berry and are action PACKED with vitamins.
Quinoa, rinsed, toasted and steamed, the night before climbing. I feel like this is the cleanest energy for my body! It is amazing how great I feel after a meal of quinoa, braggs aminos and nutritional yeast (ONLY purchased from Frontier Foods, it is in the processing). It is quick to cook. Fast food.

Spinach, at least once a day, raw, dressed or undressed.

Avocado is heavenly. Also, combine with flax seed oil and nutritional yeast.

Barley Miso with seaweed is an incredible energy boasting lunch to bring along in a thermos.

Oatmeal for break-fast! With soaked walnuts and soaked raisins. I think rolled oats are preferred.

My general philosophy is *you are what you eat*, i know it is quite radical and crazy...but i am happy, present and healthy! so i stick with 75% live/raw...no gluten!!!...no refined grains, sugars!!!!!!....25% cooked. Experiment with the ratio, find what works for you. Talk to your acupuncturist.
The choice we have made to eat differently than the masses necessitates exploring non-western-trad options.

*LESS IS MORE*. the less you eat, the more time and energy the body can divert from digestion to repair and maintenance of the organs.

YOGA. Ashtanga is my personal preference...daily recommended min:
5 suryanamaskar a's
5 suryanamaskar b's
headstand for 5 minutes.
Aligning and internal cleansing with breath for energy.

May your days be healthy and high.
Namaste.

In reply to:
Sprout your Almonds...soak them for 12-24 hours in live water...

rosy Himalayan salts...

Nothing beats live water and rosy Himalayan salts. And how else are you supposed to eat your almonds if you don't first sprout them?

In reply to:
Goji Berries, once again soaked and alive

True dat. I fucking hate deat Goji Berries.

In reply to:
a meal of quinoa, braggs aminos and nutritional yeast?

Yeah, but I have that like every other day. I'm so sick of quinoa.

In reply to:
Talk to your acupuncturist?

Easy for you to say. My acupuncturist is a mute.

In reply to:
the less you eat, the more time and energy the body can divert from digestion to repair and maintenance of the organs?

I was thinking the same thing. She needs to eat less to get more energy. Duh. How obvious is that?

In reply to:
internal cleansing?

Oh yeah! Now we're talking. Nothing like a coffee enema to get your day started. I go to new wave strip mall were my acupuncturist is two doors down from the big fisted german women who gives me the back door treatment. I say they are two doors apart because the landlord can't rent the space next door to the enema lady. No one can stand the smell.

In reply to:
Avocado is heavenly.

Fuck yeah it is. For serious.

In reply to:
headstand for 5 minutes.

Only pussys come down after five minutes. Go for double digits, baby!!

danutter

May 23, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #33 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wonderwoman...So, your doctor tells you "no meat" but has no alternatives when you're feeling low-energy? Maybe it's time for a new doctor...

A few people have commented on low dietary fat levels correlating to low energy. I have never heard this, and am betting high-fat Mediterranean diet-consumers would be surprised at this. Does anyone out there have any evidence of a fat-content/energy level relationship? I'm very curious.

jt512

May 23, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #34 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So I am trying to find a healthy balance while I attempt to swallow my guilt, and the fish.

Sorry, I just find that so... strange I guess. I just don't feel guilty for doing something that is necessary to have a healthy, happy existence. Fish don't feel guilty for eating their food... it swims too.

Careful, flax seeds can have a high omega 6:3 ratio.

No. They have an extremely low omega-6:3 ratio, on the order of 1:4.

Jay

jt512

May 23, 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #35 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wonderwoman...So, your doctor tells you "no meat" but has no alternatives when you're feeling low-energy? Maybe it's time for a new doctor...

A few people have commented on low dietary fat levels correlating to low energy. I have never heard this, and am betting high-fat Mediterranean diet-consumers would be surprised at this. Does anyone out there have any evidence of a fat-content/energy level relationship? I'm very curious.

There is little, if anything, in the original post to suggest that her fatigue is diet related. She was a vegetarian before she got sick and had no reported energy problems. On the other hand, she reports being fatigued since her illness. This suggests that her fatigue is illness, not diet, related. Furthermore, she has gained 2 of her 10 lost pounds back after her illness, indicating that she is getting enough calories from her diet to maintain (if not increase) body weight.

-Jay

clanalbania

May 23, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #36 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While differences in body types do exist, and some people find out that they just cant make it without meat, I rather doubt that this is your problem.

I'm 43, and been a vegetarian all my life, 15 of those years with no dairy at all. I have been very active during all of these years, for long periods of time cycling 20 miles a day, 5 days a week. While climbing and mountaineering, same thing. I have never had an energy problem.

Along with a few others I would tend to suspect your recent flu. If not that, just make sure you get really good variety.

wjca

May 23, 2006, 7:28 PM
Post #37 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is little, if anything, in the original post to suggest that her fatigue is diet related. She was a vegetarian before she got sick and had no reported energy problems. On the other hand, she reports being fatigued since her illness. This suggests that her fatigue is illness, not diet, related. Furthermore, she has gained 2 of her 10 lost pounds back after her illness, indicating that she is getting enough calories from her diet to maintain (if not increase) body weight.

-Jay

But still, who couldn't benefit from a handful of live Goji berries to supplement the Quinoa? Get with it, man.

smartmonkey

May 23, 2006, 7:34 PM
Post #38 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of good info here, but I think Faeiry said it best-eat simple and pure. That’s more or less the diet that I follow and it gives me plenty of energy to commute everywhere by bike (fixed gear track bike no less), climb several times a week, and race mountain bikes on the weekend. The two things that you might want to look at are calorie intake and exercise. Us veggies can eat all day long, but vegetables and fruit don’t necessarily have a ton of calories, so you can still come up short at the end of the day. Try keeping track of your calories for a week. Exercise is really important too. Get out there every day and get your body moving however you can. I know I have way more energy if I exercise a lot. I have also found that climbing alone isn’t enough; you need some kind of aerobic workout to get the right balance. More than anything though, don’t listen to anything any of us has said so far. Find some reputable sources online or read a book (the two recommended by thedus are great). There are so many conflicting views that its tough to know who to listen too.

kantkatchme

May 23, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #39 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have you thought of maybe getting a blood analysis done?
im with the others that think it might be related to your recent illness.
im not totally sure that a blood analysis would help. but it may, it will at least inform you of what your blood cells loolk like...lol

i go to a college for homeopathy and heilkunst, and they do them there. i will learn about them eventually but i havent yet.
im sure that there are places that do them somewhere near you.

good luck and i hope you feel better.

i dont know if you eat tempeh, but its sposed to be better than just regular tofu. i dunno something about the fermentaion process. but it has to be cooked.

peace,
kenni

faeiry

May 23, 2006, 8:25 PM
Post #40 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow!!! I have never experienced so much anger in my climbing/surfing community.

I will work on taking my post down...I do not pleasuring in angering anyone, was just trying to share my experience as a life long vegetarian.

WJCA:
Thank you for representing the community.
I will definitely go far away!

Hope you choose to make your existence lighter.
Life is *actually* a really excellent time.

Cheers.

archygal

May 23, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #41 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard that combining sesame seeds (or products) with flax seeds (or products) successfully balances out the 6:3 omega ratio. Use equal amounts of both.

If veggie is new to you, that might explain the energy loss while your body gets used to it. It should balance out over time if that's the case. Also, you probably already know this since you make all of your own food, but be sure to use whole grains as opposed to processed ones (ie. brown rice instead of white rice), and avoid processed sugars (use maple syrup, xylitol, or other natural sweeteners) which can cause lag.

Also, have you looked at food allergies or household allergies? Maybe the problem is not in your diet. You might have a mold issue, or other low level allergy from your surroundings. Think about any changes (office, apartment, new coffee shop) in your environment as a starter.

kantkatchme

May 23, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #42 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nm

happybob

May 23, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #43 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this might not be the case, but I know that whenever I don't eat enough, I get really low on energy. I usually try to lose those winter pounds in the spring and keep my exercise up so I am dead tired for about a month and a half.
Sense you lost ten pounds from your flu and have only gotten 2 back, maybe more food might be the key for you... Try to get lots of protein though, so it comes back as muscle and not fat.
Just my two cents. My diet sucks... Includes microwave burritos with cottage cheese, oatmeal, lots of milk products, McDonald's, and the occasional apple so my advise isn't very credible.

wonderwoman

May 23, 2006, 8:55 PM
Post #44 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I will work on taking my post down...I do not pleasuring in angering anyone, was just trying to share my experience as a life long vegetarian.

WJCA:

Cheers.

Please don't erase your post! You just have to laugh back at that person.

deltav

May 23, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #45 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If "you are what you eat" then what would you rather be, a nut or a fruit.

While vegans claim to get everything that they need in vegan food, then where do you get amino acids?

Someone please tell me what there is to feel "guilty" about. After all, all those fruits and veggies have souls too

jt512

May 23, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #46 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have heard that combining sesame seeds (or products) with flax seeds (or products) successfully balances out the 6:3 omega ratio. Use equal amounts of both.

That is pure nonsense.

Jay

wjca

May 23, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #47 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

WJCA:

Cheers.

Please don't erase your post! You just have to laugh back at that person.

What she said. Don't take your toys and go home 'cause one guy is an asshole. Tell me to f*ck off and die with clogged arteries, but don't run away sulking.

Perhaps meat actually provides essential nutrients to feed one's sense of humor. Is there a supplement for that?

jt512

May 23, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #48 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
While vegans claim to get everything that they need in vegan food, then where do you get amino acids?

Hard to believe that it's the 21st century, and people are still asking that question. Take a nutrition class; read a book.

Where do cows get their amino acids?

Jay

jt512

May 23, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #49 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hard to believe that it's the 21st century, and people are still asking that question. Take a nutrition class; read a book.

Where do cows get their amino acids?

Jay

jacobmbuckmaster

May 23, 2006, 9:26 PM
Post #50 of 58 (4904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try useing MACA root. It is the greatest. It works by nourishing and equalizing your glandular system. It boost energy and has a whole lot of other great effects. The best part is its organic and vegetarian. Try www.macaweb.com also add hemp protein to your diet as well. You will really feel like wonderwoman than!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook