Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dayspringgirl

Jul 24, 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #26 of 57 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to be a girly-girl - advice wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

isn't this forum thing a place to voice your opinion wether or not everybody agrees or not? i am new to this and just posted some advice on the girly thing - totally just my opinion and i had poop thrown at my post. :shock: and you don't know who throws it. :cry: i quickly took my words off the page and wondered why is this? i am very girly and so what if i wished i could have been more like the girls that were able to do sports and physical stuff, and who cares if i carry lipgloss in my chalk bag?? wow, i am such a nerd with this stuff. maybe ~who cares that someone threw poop at me. i don't know. just a thought - sorry it is out of line with the girly advice (is this what you call hijacking a thread? :? )- i feel the poop flying at me now..... :shock:

i like to be girly, and maybe my advice sucks, but i do like to climb and camp and backpack. i have found that a little girly-ness goes a long way. i think most people feel more comfortable just being friendly and confident, i just like to add lipgloss and mascara.

forthesunrise

Aug 18, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #27 of 57 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i grew up the same way- with mostly older male influences. sports and being outside, camping, hiking, building forts, getting into trouble, that was my entire childhood. i'd have to say i didn't really start to want to be girly until college.

as far as clothes go- all it took for me were some skirts (i went with the more casual hippy style - you can find them everywhere now- and i think they're pretty and far from presumptuous. theyre fun you know?) some simple tank tops. instead of crazy girl shoes i opted for platform flipflops in the summer and some cute boots in the winter. you have to find something you like or you just wont wear it.

girls are cleaner than guys... :wink: my hygiene is improved in the sense that my hair and skin products and better now and my legs/armpits/(whatever you think you need to shave) are shaved all the time. i definitely feel more girly.

however one thing to realize is that people are going to treat you differently if you seem more 'girly'. guys treat me more like a girl but they know i am still up to all the fun outdoor activities i've always done. to sum it up, they seem to want to 'help' me more when i'm doing stuff, but you can always refuse if you don't want to seem like too much of a "girl". its best to stick with people who will respect you as you are anyway you know?

crazygirl

Aug 18, 2006, 7:34 PM
Post #28 of 57 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ISometimes now I'll look at the girly-girls and I honestly wish that I could be like that - sometimes I just want to feel like a girl. I don't own a skirt or any vaguely girly clothes, and to be honest I would feel embarrassed buying any (I doubt I would know what to get anyway). I don't wear make-up, because I don't know how to put it on. But mostly, I don't see any way to keep doing what I love, climbing, camping and playing sports, and still occasionally get to be feminine.

So what I was hoping for was some advice from the more feminine of you out there ( I know there have to be some of you on this site) about how you mange to climb and still be feminine - is there anyway to have both? And also, though this may sound kinda stupid, for those of you who didn't have older sisters/mothers/ect how did you learn to be a girl (put make-up on and do your hair and similar) - I feel like I should intuitively know this stuff, but I don't.

by no means am i an expert on being girly, but this is what i think.

Dressing up is all occasion-related. Next time you go to a dressy event, wear a dress instead of slacks. there is no need to wear tons of makeup- that look is outdated, anyway.

"But mostly, I don't see any way to keep doing what I love, climbing, camping and playing sports, and still occasionally get to be feminine."

- surely, you get to go out and do other things, go out to dinner, movie, social events?

Get a makeover (i've never had one myself, but who knows it might be fun). You can probably find a local salon that does it. But then again, you might hate it, and then you'll know not to change your look.

I'm not advocating girly vs non-girly. Until I was 20, i did not wear a skirt.
Have an image that you are comfortable with. Change it as often as you like, its supposed to be fun.

winter

Aug 18, 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #29 of 57 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very girly outdoorsey girl checking in.
I have every colour of makeup you can buy, I own more skirts than pants, I have as many pairs of high heels as I do regular shoes. I hike backcountry in a short skirt always (not skort).

Background: I used to be super anti-girl. Anti makeup, anti shopping (except thrift store and mec) all that stuff. Always hangin with the boys, always priding myself on how little I cared about how I looked, then one day I don't know what happened, I had a girly 180. I realised I did not want to be one of those androgynous outdoors women. The kind who always wear quick dry pants and hiking shoes with a wicking t-shirt. Yuck.

Now I am get super glammed up at night, and am still my dirty old self when out in the mountains.

Ok, here are some tips to get you started.
1) Skin. How is it? A little red/blotchy/windburned/tanned (this is me)?
Do not get thick foundation, get tinted moisterizer. MAC makes a good one. Slap it on all over your face every morning. If your skin is really nice, leave it alone.
2) Lipgloss: Find a neutral lipgloss. Anything shiny. Just put it on whenever you remember. Slightly pink works on basically everyone. Doesn't have to be expensive.
3)Blush. Get a big brush and a very pale pink or peach kind (again, get help from saleslady). Pinch o' peach by MAC works on virtually anyone. Apply very sparingly from your hairline on the apples of your cheeks. If they are already super pink, skip this.
3) Eyes. Get a pale shimmery shadow, something close to your skin tone, something with very little colour (beige or something). (vanilla pigment from MAC is perfect for this) Put this from your lashes to your eyebrows. Must be shimmery. You can use small brush (get real hair brushes or skip them) or your fingers. Apply sparingly. It should just be highlighting your eyes.
Mascara: I would just put it on at night (the mabelline kind in the pink tube). If you are fair get a neutral brown or bronze for during the day, or skip it.
4) Get a haircut. If it's long get some layers or bangs or something. At least if you have bangs a pony tail looks less done. Luckily messy pony tails are super in. Put it up then mess up the top part (at the back/top of your head) with your fingers. King of pull the hairs half out of the elastic.
Look in magazines. If your hair is mousy die it darker or lighter. Do something with it.
5)Jewlery. This is very important. Putting on a pair of dangly earings instantly glams you up. Go to town.
6)Clothes. Outdoors clothes are for OUTDOORS. Do not wear your hiking shoes as your daily wear, no quick dry/wicking. Yikes. Wear some trendy cute runners or get some heels. Yes. Get some trendy jeans and a few tops. Even a thin cotton t-shirt with a funky silk screen is super in.

Good luck!!!

lewisiarediviva

Aug 22, 2006, 4:46 AM
Post #30 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to be a girlie-girl - advice wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, maybe I can throw in some red tape.

I've often worn heels, since sixth grade. I've worn the mini skirts, the make up, florescent sheer scarves in my hair, polka dots, make up, curls in my hair, flashy earrings, plaid stockings- you name it and I've probably been close. (Yes, I said florescent.)

But I never "knew" anything.

Most of the things I found girlie girl I didn't wear, like ribbons and lace on my formals, mouse in my hair.

Know after 35 years, I can say that the real trick has nothing to do with what you look like you are-

Think about it. How many times have you found yourself cut off because you didn't hear about the sale. You don't understand why she is so excited about the 50's dress she found with the purse to match AND IS ACTUALLY DISCUSSING IT.

How many times do you find yourself out with your friends and suddenly you are the only girl talking with the guys.

It's not what you wear, it's what you are comfortable talking about.

(One idea is to go to a spa, kind of spendy but this works, and speak with the experts confidently- they love teaching us. Believe it or not, this is a great place to learn that they don't despise us as well. In fact they love the chance to ask us questions they can't ask their friends. I have one spa girl who always has to tell me about her latest camping trip- because I am part of the reason she became brave enough to go with out a shower for a day.)

Am I totally off base?

tavs

Aug 23, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #31 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I realised I did not want to be one of those androgynous outdoors women. The kind who always wear quick dry pants and hiking shoes with a wicking t-shirt. Yuck.

6)Clothes. Outdoors clothes are for OUTDOORS. Do not wear your hiking shoes as your daily wear, no quick dry/wicking. Yikes. Wear some trendy cute runners or get some heels. Yes. Get some trendy jeans and a few tops. Even a thin cotton t-shirt with a funky silk screen is super in.

"Yuck"? "Yikes"? Crap--does this mean, after my hike this afternoon, I have to go home and change into something trendy before I go to class tonight?

For the most part, the tone of this thread has been encouraging--wear what you're comfortable in, here are some small changes, being feminine isn't about what you wear but how you feel, etc. I know you were trying to offer some concrete suggestions, but the idea coming across to me is that a woman is somehow unfeminine ("androgynous" to use your term) if she doesn''t fit your mold. I beg to differ--it's all about what YOU feel comfortable in.

lewisiarediviva

Aug 23, 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #32 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
-- but the idea coming across to me is that a woman is somehow unfeminine ("androgynous" to use your term) if she doesn''t fit your mold. I beg to differ--it's all about what YOU feel comfortable in.

I totally agree. The important thing is is that we don't have to fit a social requirement, and we don't have to be men to avoid that social requirement.

wa_hoo

Aug 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #33 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought I was the only one with no clue about make-up and girly stuff since my mom never taught me anything. What a cool thread.

But on to ideas. I totally agree with all the ideas about getting help for the make-up. I've found the mall gals are a little too heavy on the make-up for my style. I've had better luck at a specialty store (I like Aveda) or at a spa. I think it's worth one indulgence in a facial/makeover to ask tons of questions and get good advice and good products.

Also - do what feels right. If you want the full make-up stuff - go for it. If you want subtle, but feminine - do that. It has to fit you and your inner style as someone else said.

I have found, as I've discovered and nurtured my girly-girl side recently, that I don't want really flowery, lacy stuff, but that there are many great options for femininity with texture, color, softness, jewelry, and now I'm even getting into the shoes. I'm fussy about my shoes being comfortable - try Nordstroms for incredible shoe choices.

Most of all have fun and listen to your inner girly girl - she knows what you are really seeking!

winter

Aug 28, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #34 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I realised I did not want to be one of those androgynous outdoors women. The kind who always wear quick dry pants and hiking shoes with a wicking t-shirt. Yuck.

"Yuck"? "Yikes"? Crap--does this mean, after my hike this afternoon, I have to go home and change into something trendy before I go to class tonight?

For the most part, the tone of this thread has been encouraging--wear what you're comfortable in, here are some small changes, being feminine isn't about what you wear but how you feel, etc. I know you were trying to offer some concrete suggestions, but the idea coming across to me is that a woman is somehow unfeminine ("androgynous" to use your term) if she doesn''t fit your mold. I beg to differ--it's all about what YOU feel comfortable in.

It has nothing to do with 'my' mold, it's just how things are. I certainly wasn't suggesting that she wears things that she feels uncomfortable in, not would anyone. Quick dry pants and hiking shoes are not flattering on anyone, boys or girls. She asked for advice on how to be more girly, wearing the same clothes to hike in and to go out in the evening is not the way to do it. You certainly don't have to wear flowers and lace to be feminine (again yuck) but a cute pair of jeans and t-shirt goes a long way, or anything that is not designed for sport specifically. That is hardly a 'mold' it's just getting away from clothes that are meant for practicality. She already knows how to dress outdoorsey, she is asking for advice on how to do something a little different.
You're feeling just like I used to that "it shouldn't matter, everything looks nice on everyone". That is just simply not true, and naive to boot.

tavs

Aug 28, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #35 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, what I'm "feeling" is that what looks nice and/or feminine is subjective. And that we're definitely not going to see eye-to-eye on this one, because I have no interest in telling someone they have to wear X to look, be, or feel feminine. The mold you're representing may not be just YOUR mold, but it is also just ONE mold. My mold happens to be that I wear what I'm comfortable in on any given day for any given event--which means sometimes I go to class in a skirt and tank, and sometimes I go to class in my climbing pants and a capilene top....either way, I don't feel any like any less of a female. And at this stage in my life, to have someone suggest that my wardrobe choices are naive is highly entertaining.

winter

Aug 28, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #36 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're missing the point entirely, she asked for ideas on things that might make her feel more girly, she has stated that her current 'style' does not make her feel feminine. So in her opinion, her current outdoorsey/tomboy clothes don't make her feel super girly. That' not my opinion, it's that of the OP. I don't think that she has to dress a certain way to feel feminine, absolutely not, but she asked for suggestions, so I gave some. The point is not that you think she should feel feminine no matter what she wears, the point is she does not in her current routine.

And I don't care, a trendy capilene tank and some well fitting cropped climbing pants is way more cute than ill fiting quick dry zip off pants and a baggy old t-shirt. One may feel just as feminine in both, but guaranteed the cute tank looks better, and that's what the OP was asking for.

tavs

Sep 1, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #37 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe I've actually allowed myself to be dragged into an internet back-and-forth, but here's one last point. You missed the point of my original response to you, which was that you DIDN'T MERELY offer suggestions, you did so with a tone and with language that suggested that anyone who didn't follow those guidelines was being unfeminine (androgynous was YOUR word). That's what I took issue with, and that's what I still find to be unnecessary.

crazygirl

Sep 1, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #38 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget an equally important way of being girly:

ask guys to do things for you. anything, really. stand near the door until they get the message and open it for you. get them to open cans, wine bottles, get you a drink (i don't mean get them to pay for it, just get them to bring it to you).

clausti

Sep 4, 2006, 3:02 AM
Post #39 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fun ways to feel girly:

-shave. take a long time doing it. buy shaving lotion, and a three blade razor with fun moisture strips, if you dont use one. shave... whatever you feel like. confession: i always shave my stomach because i think it glistens sexily when i work out.

- lotion, yay lotion! after shaving, put on gobs of moisturizing lotion.

add clean sheets, or pants that are not jeans [i.e. any kind off smooth fabric pants] and viola! much yummyness.

htotsu

Sep 4, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #40 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And at this stage in my life, to have someone suggest that my wardrobe choices are naive is highly entertaining.

Sigh. Where is the love? Where is the looo-ooo-ooove?

First, Tavs, it is clear that what she was referring to as naive is the notion that "it shouldn't matter, everything looks nice on everyone." Not "your wardrobe choices." Maybe that's not your notion, but it is the notion she was talking about.

And the OP did ask for suggestions. Now, yes, Winter did write hers as something of a "to do" list. But I don't think anyone could honestly think she considers her list to be mandatory, or the only way to appear feminine, just because she didn't expressly write "One option is to..." before every suggestion. I read it as her just being excited to share what has worked for her.

As for the androgynous comment, it seems evident enough that she was referring to a common interpretation of "not stereotypically feminine." By definition, an androgynous appearance can be ascribed to someone of either gender. The clothes she described fit that description.

Winter, perhaps your choice of "yuck" is the cause of Tav's tone in her replies. Even if it's how you feel about that look for yourself, it is certainly understandable for someone else to take offense if that "yucky" style is how she chooses to dress when not necessarily doing outdoor activities. Not everyone values dressing up, and not everyone devalues dressing down.

Clausti, you're on to something with the lotion thang. I dig the nice scented ones because there are a million kinds to choose from (I don't love florals but do love food - vanilla, coconut, ... mmmm), and it's an easy way to do the girl thing since, hey, I was going to use lotion anyway, right? Yummy indeed! :D

sdkbcassidy

Sep 6, 2006, 2:16 AM
Post #41 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread reminds me of how my boss describes our first encounter to new people. My failed attempt at being a girly-girl. Since we do project-based work, I still hear about this every other week just my luck.

Up until around ’96 we still had to wear matching skirt suits or dresses, panty hose, heels. I friggin’ hated it, hated it, hated it. The story gets exaggerated as time goes on, but my boss basically describes our first meeting as me walking up to him in a great red dress, fancy heels – only the way that I was walking was like how a 3-year old wobbles while playing dress-up with heels. It’s pretty funny to watch him re-enact it, still makes me laugh every time. A word of advice – never work for a Welshman unless you’ve got a really thick skin.

Since ’96, the ban on pant suits and heels has been lifted, and I haven’t worn a skirt, dress or heels since (unless forced to as a member of a bridal party and then I wobble my way down the aisle). But, the things that I’ve found I do like on the feminine side:
- painted toenails
- simple, artist-designed necklaces
- cute tops
- a bit of eyeshadow (try something like Revlon eyeglide, hard to get it wrong) and lipgloss
- and another vote to the scented lotions

But, being comfortable w/ what I’m wearing comes first and foremost.

- Deb

oopps

Sep 10, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #42 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe this thread is still going... yay!

Slowly getting more girly... moving helped, actually, because it mean I could wear make-up and skirts without having everyone remake on how surprised they were by it. I found that make-up didn't work for me (except for on special occasions), just couldn't be bothered each morning to put it on... but my clothes are slowly getting more girly. Two best choices I made were getting my ears per iced and cutting my hair. I LOVE short hair... lower maintenance, actually looks more feminine than my former habitual ponytail and it isn't such a mess after a day under a helmet when kayaking or climbing.

And one secret I've discovered... make-up, skirts, and shaved legs (basically all the trappings of girlyness) are a very nice treat after a few days backcountry getting filthy.

Thank you guys.

tigerlilly

Nov 8, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #43 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know you're a tomboy when:

For a friend's wedding, you decide put on a skirt for a change, and your 4-year-old cat looks at you like you've just sprouted 6" fangs and slinks off to hide under the bed.

That's a true story and it happened just last summer. I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only tomboy seeking her inner girly-girl. I lost my mother when I was young, and my two older sisters and I were not close until we reached adulthood, so there was little female influence in my formative years. I played keep-away, climbed trees and rode bikes with the neighbor boys. I could care less about make-up and loved it when my father taught me how to use tools and fix stuff around the house. I've been a bike nut for most of my life and have a workshop in the garage that is the envy of most of my male friends.

After college, I ended up in a male-dominated profession, so I felt I couldn't dress feminine and still get respect. I wore skirts for several years, but they were conservative navy pinstriped suits. I changed jobs and the skirts weren't convenient (had to wear a clean-room jumpsuit), so I switched to chinos, but kept the man-tailored blouses. Bike-event t-shirts or sweatshirts were my standard non-work outfits. In order to not get "run-over" buy the guys, I adopted a male-style method of communication. This has been hard to overcome, and I have been told by more than one person that I am intimidating. (I'm really harmless and don't have 6" fangs.)

It wasn't until I got divorced and started thinking about dating that I started to pay attention to how I looked. I've never been into the really foo-foo stuff, but have started looking for trimmer-fit v-neck sweaters instead of bulky crew necks, slim-fit pants instead of pleated chinos and things like that. I discovered tanks and shimmels from the likes of
Brooks, Prana and Mountain Hardware for summer, so can have my performance clothing and still look like a chick at the same time. No more baggy cotton T's! I'd never make it as a model, but for 44, I'm in better-than-average shape. I'm learning to let it show a little, without being trampy.

The one thing I haven't done much with is my hair. I wear it short and layered for wash-and-wear convenience, and it looks boy-ish. I've thought about growing it longer, but every time it gets a little long, I hate the way it looks and get it cut off again. My hair isn't straight and it isn't curly. It gets random waves that I think look dorky and unkempt,
especially when I pull off my helmet. Short, low maintenance hairstyle suggestions are welcome! My ex, and last ex-boyfriend both wished openly that I would let my hair grow long. Can I ever be a girly girl with short hair?

Kathy

clausti

Nov 8, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #44 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The one thing I haven't done much with is my hair. I wear it short and layered for wash-and-wear convenience, and it looks boy-ish. I've thought about growing it longer, but every time it gets a little long, I hate the way it looks and get it cut off again. My hair isn't straight and it isn't curly. It gets random waves that I think look dorky and unkempt,
especially when I pull off my helmet. Short, low maintenance hairstyle suggestions are welcome! My ex, and last ex-boyfriend both wished openly that I would let my hair grow long. Can I ever be a girly girl with short hair?

Kathy

this summer i got all my many-times-dyed hair chopped off for my sister's wedding, to honor her request that my hair match my eyebrows as maid of honor.

I got it done in a little *short* pixie cut, which could be faux-hawked, or bed-headed, or done very profesional looking. takes ten minutes to roll out of bed, shower, slop some sculpting putty in it, and look awesome. really wanna look girly, thow on some dangly earings.

only then i shaved it all off. i dont reccomend that :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm currently trying to get it back to the pixie.

lena_chita

Nov 8, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #45 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You know you're a tomboy when:

For a friend's wedding, you decide put on a skirt for a change, and your 4-year-old cat looks at you like you've just sprouted 6" fangs and slinks off to hide under the bed.

An old thread, but I couldn't let this pass... I realized how RARELY I wear skirts when I had to put on a dress for some special occasion or other, and my then-3.5 yo son said: Mommy, wow, you look like a WOMAN!

Oh well...

kantkatchme

Nov 9, 2006, 2:49 AM
Post #46 of 57 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Kathy

only then i shaved it all off. i dont reccomend that :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm currently trying to get it back to the pixie.

:lol: i shaved my head 1.5 yr ago. my then current (but not so great) relationship fell apart that day. lol
it was for the best, but most guys dont seem to be able to deal with chick with no hair......
im still trying to grow it out. about every 3 weeks it looks ok and then it looks like shit again. i would go get it cut, or trim it myself. im just afraid that if i do i will cut it all off again.
peace

jaema

Nov 14, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #47 of 57 (2256 views)
Shortcut

advice: don't [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really want my advice on the subject : don't.
Frankly, girly-girls who drool over boys all day, have a hissy fit because they broke a nail, scream bloody murder if there's a spider, and don't participate in gym class because they're afraid of geting muscles and becoming "masculine"... oh and did I mention the hair and makeup?
Frankly, I think it's all BS, if you'll exuse my language. Why can't girls just be ourselves? What's wrong with that? Why do we have to hide behind 2 tonnes of makeup and "volumptuous" hair? I think it's in an effort to impress the boys, but any clear-minded guy (and there's not alot of them) won't care about your fashion or makeup or - whatever!
While I'm at it, dating someone you hardly know makes no sense to me.
Anyhow, you GO girl!
I was in a similar situation at the gym where we were trying some big dynos. Some guy said "I don't have the balls to try that" I said i didn't have any at all, and trided it. (didn't get it; turned out to be impossible)
Girly-girls tick me off, so please don't become one. They generally lack self esteem and modivation.
of course, this is just my oppinion, you can do whatever the heck you want :)

tigerlilly

Nov 14, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #48 of 57 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaema] advice: don't [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Frankly, girly-girls who drool over boys all day, have a hissy fit because they broke a nail, scream bloody murder if there's a spider, and don't participate in gym class because they're afraid of geting muscles and becoming "masculine"... oh and did I mention the hair and makeup?

She said "girly-girl," not Drama Queen! Wink

I think the challenge is how to be strong and active and participate in sports rather than being a wallflower, without losing our femininity. We want to get out there and play like the guys but not look like them.

Kathy

jaema

Nov 15, 2006, 3:47 AM
Post #49 of 57 (2217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] advice: don't [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd agree with that, (who wants to look like a guy?!?!) but who says some muscle can't be sexy? I'm not anti-feminist or anything, I just don't think it should stop us from kicking butt. Smile

Partner missedyno

Nov 17, 2006, 8:03 AM
Post #50 of 57 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [librik] How to be a girly-girl - advice wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[reply]From somebody who tries to be very feminine in her appearance :)

1) I have to say that I completely agree that being girly is not about the looks at all, it's ALL in the attitude.
2) For me, a big thing about girlyness in physical aspect is as simple as hygiene. (barring backpacking trips :)
3) If you are one of those girls with great complexion, fresh skin and bright coloration, you DON'T NEED MAKEUP. In any event, start small, figure out what you need the most. Say, for me, it's eyebrow shadows, my eyebrows just stop in the middle, looks very funky. It can be foundation, it can be mascara (by the way, I swear by Maybelinne, you know, the one in a pink tube, it's cheap and awesome, much better than expensive ones), stick with one or two things, there's no reason to wear it all.
4) If you want jewelry, that's great, I think two most easy-never-get-in-your-way pieces are a) necklace and b) if you ears are pierced, earrings. With necklaces, i think that the ones made of natural materials (hemp, leather) look great, if that's your thing
5) I personally think that when it comes to clothes, only one piece is important determinant of girliness: shoes. And I don't mean spiky ones, but when you can, wear athletic shoes that are nice and small in appearance, and that are not dirty or falling apart. If you have small feet, that's great, pretty much everything would look good on you. I have huge feet, so I really have to shop around, and even then my feet never look pretty.
5) But, again, it's not about clothes or makeup, it's about attitude.

What do you girls (and guys) think about this?[/reply]

best post i've read in a while!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook