Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #26 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear Shop Quotes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

She actually did try to say something about Aliens, to which I cut her off and showed here that I have CCH on speed-dial...

Sorry babe, but I'm quite confident that I know more about Aliens than, oh, most people at this point in time! :mrgreen:

redlegrangerone

Sep 21, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #27 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually Tgreene, you know more about aliens than I EVER want to know. :lol:

[but people here sure make you pay for it]

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #28 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I never thought I needed one, until I bought one. Once you have a #4, it seems you always find a place to use it. :lol:

More often than not, I use it as a 1st piece and/or re-direct, however I've found a ton of placements on otherwise unprotectable sections.

I would actually love to have a #5 as well.

shakylegs

Sep 21, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #29 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry babe, but I'm quite confident that I know more about Aliens than, oh, most people at this point in time! :mrgreen:

I think it's so cute that you set such lofty goals for yourself.
You most definitely deserve a Bud Lite.

bill413

Sep 21, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #30 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I never thought I needed one, until I bought one. Once you have a #4, it seems you always find a place to use it. :lol:
If only to get it off your rack so that the second has to carry it up!

qtm

Sep 21, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #31 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I popped in to one of the local outdoor shops over the summer, browsed for a while, then told the first guy I saw that I needed someone to cut some webbing for me. Kid comes over and asks what I want, and I tell him, "25 feet of this and 25 feet of that." He's pulling it off the spool and he says, "You know, it's not safe to tie a harness..."

I never said I was tying harnesses ... I never said anything about what I was doing with it. Nevertheless, I've climbed in many, many modified Swiss seats over the years... this webbing, though, was for TR anchors.

I just looked at him kind of quizzically and said, "Just ring it up."

You should have asked it if was safe to tie up little kids. Say you're starting a baby sitting service and need to keep the kids tethered. Ask about how well it slips, you don't want them choking after all.

djnibs

Sep 21, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #32 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heres a good newb story. I was at the store, purchasing shoes and harness for the lady friend, and this gumby (refering to a customer) is purchasing ice climbing gear.

He bought everything from a jacket, to clothes, to a pack, to ice picks, rope, webbing, carabiners, belay. You name it he bought it.

The reasoning he used to buy it was that hes going climbing with a buddy, (who has climbed ice for 10 years or somthing). He bought 3 of everything for him, his wife, and his smoking hot daughter! The clerk then insisted he get some ice pickets, and a couple ice screws. To which he replied, thankfully,

"What are they for?"

It was quite amusing to watch him shop. He had no clue what anything was, or what it was for. I asked if he would adopt me, and he looked at my puzzled. :(

He probably droped about $3000 on gear that he might only use once. haha. damn

dbrayack

Sep 21, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #33 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Heres a good newb story. I was at the store, purchasing shoes and harness for the lady friend, and this gumby (refering to a customer) is purchasing ice climbing gear.

He bought everything from a jacket, to clothes, to a pack, to ice picks, rope, webbing, carabiners, belay. You name it he bought it.

The reasoning he used to buy it was that hes going climbing with a buddy, (who has climbed ice for 10 years or somthing). He bought 3 of everything for him, his wife, and his smoking hot daughter! The clerk then insisted he get some ice pickets, and a couple ice screws. To which he replied, thankfully,

"What are they for?"

It was quite amusing to watch him shop. He had no clue what anything was, or what it was for. I asked if he would adopt me, and he looked at my puzzled.

He probably droped about $3000 on gear that he might only use once. haha. damn

You'll be seeing that on ebay sometime in the not so distant future I'm sure :P

desertdude420

Sep 21, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #34 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it when trust funders start climbing. When the weather goes bad, they tend to bail off and leave half their rack behind. Just wait for the rain shower to pass then go get all the shiny new gear that they left!

desertdude420

Sep 21, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #35 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it when trust funders start climbing. When the weather goes bad, they tend to bail off and leave half their rack behind. Just wait for the rain shower to pass then go get all the shiny new gear that they left!

zacrobinson

Sep 21, 2006, 5:38 PM
Post #36 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking for some skis the other day. Let me preface this by saying that even though I am from TX and know absolutely nothing about skis, I have skied enough recently to at least know I wanted a ski length of about 185.

I ask the guy at the counter to give me some info and after his spiel he picks up a pair of 165's and tells me that these would be perfect for me. I tell him I was wanting something longer. He gets a 172 and says that these should be agressive enough for me. I tell him I want a 185 and he tells me that is too much ski for me and I should not get that. I have skied 182 all last season (and by all last season, I men teh 8 days I got to see snow, I am from TX)

I walked out without buying anything. Mostly cause they didn't have what I wanted, but if they did...

Partner ewtotel

Sep 21, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #37 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the tagline, desert:

In reply to:
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend."

but I'd prefer,

"Hold my girlfriend while I drink your beer..."

(Hey, we'd get along great!)

desertdude420

Sep 21, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #38 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was looking for some skis the other day. Let me preface this by saying that even though I am from TX and know absolutely nothing about skis, I have skied enough recently to at least know I wanted a ski length of about 185.

I ask the guy at the counter to give me some info and after his spiel he picks up a pair of 165's and tells me that these would be perfect for me. I tell him I was wanting something longer. He gets a 172 and says that these should be agressive enough for me. I tell him I want a 185 and he tells me that is too much ski for me and I should not get that. I have skied 182 all last season (and by all last season, I men teh 8 days I got to see snow, I am from TX)

I walked out without buying anything. Mostly cause they didn't have what I wanted, but if they did...
The salesman was right... A 185 is a huge ski these days. Some manufacturers don't even make skis that long. Unless you are 225 lbs. and ski 50+ days a year, go shorter. And don't forget...Design means more than actual length. Walking into a ski shop and saying;"I want a pair of 185's" is a rooky move. No offense.

svilnit

Sep 21, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #39 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No wonder they looked at me funny when I went in there saying I wanted the 500's :lol:

dutyje

Sep 21, 2006, 9:58 PM
Post #40 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not that I own a #4 BD, but I've certainly wished that I owned one on at least 20 occassions!

I've got a shiny new #4 that I've only brought along on one occassion (as in brought it in the pack). Looking at the route, I decided to leave it on the ground. Didn't need it, and it never has made it into the pack again. I've wanted a #4 on a number of occassions, but I've always made do by just climbing to a different placement (after much whining about runouts and stuff). I do have a route or two on the tick list where I know I'll want it, but with those couple of minor exceptions, the thing is just collecting dust.

redlegrangerone

Sep 21, 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #41 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^^^Send it to me, I'll scratch it up for you^^^^^^^^

talons05

Sep 22, 2006, 1:47 AM
Post #42 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Walking into a ski shop and saying;"I want a pair of 185's" is a rooky move. No offense.

It's "Rookie..." And there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay with what makes you comfortable. Too many salespeople assume that they know better than you what you want. If he is comfortable skiing that length then who is anyone to say it's the "wrong" size? I went in to buy some big alpine skiis for approach/descent/drunken bar brawls, and was told that I "needed" to be looking for something different. By God, if I want to make a quick ski descent of "Lotus Flower Tower" using a Necky touring kayak for each foot, then that's what IIIII want. So just ring it up -- Bitch.

Cheers,

A.W.

Partner brent_e

Sep 22, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #43 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I walked into the local gear store the other day and the hot babe working there told me she wanted to do me on the floor right then and there. Then she stuck her tongue in my mouth. Of course, she's my wife...

yeah, but how much did it cost?

and where is the store???

anykineclimb

Sep 22, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #44 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heres something from the other side.
A few years ago when working at a shop this guy comes in asking about a "cheap" biner. So I'm showing him various ones and he's asking how strong they are. Not bothering with trying to explain kilonewtons to him I give him some rough pound force measurements, which, he didn't seem to understand either. THEN in a test to measure the strength of one of the biners, he grabs each end with his fingers and pulls it along its spine!

"ok, that one will do" and buys the one he tested.

dleighto

Sep 22, 2006, 3:13 AM
Post #45 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A few years ago when working at a shop this guy comes in asking about a "cheap" biner. So I'm showing him various ones and he's asking how strong they are. Not bothering with trying to explain kilonewtons to him I give him some rough pound force measurements, which, he didn't seem to understand either. THEN in a test to measure the strength of one of the biners, he grabs each end with his fingers and pulls it along its spine!

My money says that he used it for a key ring or some other non-climbing purpose.

ropeboy

Sep 22, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #46 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Related topic: When I was running marathons I went to Sports Authority for some running shoes. I needed an Asics, for a lightweight runner, a training shoe, with pronation control. The first question out of the clerk's mouth was "What color are you looking for?"

mattyp

Sep 22, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #47 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The longer I look around, the more I notice that the only place to get running shoes, is from a store that specializes in running shoes.

p.s. I know, this is off topic.

bill413

Sep 25, 2006, 1:56 PM
Post #48 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Ah - "each piece of gear is individually pull tested."
Makes me feel secure.

mattyp

Sep 25, 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #49 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"You going to do some climbing?" to which I reply, "Nah, I'm decorating my Christmas Tree."

palmieri

Sep 25, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #50 of 77 (7835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Playing with a large tricam at EMS, an employee comes up to me and my buddy and says, "Those are Aliens! You'll need about a half dozen of those." - this is why i love ems

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook