Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

clausti

Oct 8, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

carry out at houndears- i'm ok.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey... I just though I'd put a little something up here...

I took a fall off of a problem at the houndears competition yesterday, and landed about 10 feet down on my back on a bare rock.

I had just moved the pad from that rock and to the left, because I had previously completed a problem "nameless" that had the same first move, but nameless went directly up instead of left. That move I had done ~a dozen times that day, and never missed. I felt it was safe to move the pad. That last time, I fell.

I was calmed and stabalized by the wonderful personel of the rescue squad that was standing by. I was carried out of the boulder field tied to a backboard by many I knew and many I'd never met. I was taken to the hospital and x-rayed; the doctor there informed me I had not broken or fractured anything in my back. He said it is severely strained. He said I should see an orthopedist in the next week, which I plan to do tomorrow. I was given pain medication and released. I returned to houndears and watched much of the awards ceremony.

This thread is not for critiqueing whether or not I should have moved the pad. i will take personal offense if someones' posting degenerates into that.

This thread is to thank the rescue squad for helping me. It is to thank whomever you were who said "do you want to climb again-- ever?" who convinced me to let them carry me out on the backboard when I was crying and scared and just wanted it all to not really be happening. It is to thank, profusely, those who carried me out, many of whom I had and have never met, and may never see again. This thread is also in very large part to reassure many ppl who know me or who have at least met me, climbed with me, or spoken with me, who may have seen me carried out but might not have seen me later to know I'm going to be OK. I'm not OK yet... I'm still on heavy pain medication and wearing a brace. But I was lucky. I am walking around. I drove myself home today. I'm going to climb again, probably within a few months.

So, thank you to everyone. This time, everything is going to be ok.

htotsu

Oct 8, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #2 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Re: carry out at houndears- i'm ok. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear you're OK! Take good care of yourself, and take your time.

shockabuku

Oct 9, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #3 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear it wasn't (too) serious. Hope you're back at it soon.

tantrikclimber

Oct 9, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #4 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Christina, this is Kush, good to see you alive and kicking.

Bouldering falls happen. I tore an acl in a bouldering fall last year in a similar fashion. I was at the climbing gym (of all places) and fell during a roof move on the easiest part of the problem. Never thought in a million years that I'd miss that move. Missed the pad and hadn't asked for an 'active' spot. Took me about 4 months before I started climbing and that darned knee still feels wobbly. I amazed myself at how stoically I dealt with the whole situation.

Bottomline is that climbing (esp bouldering) is a dangerous sport, and human beings are frail creatures. Every once in a while despite all care, the odds are gonna go against you.

Good luck with getting better, rehab and all that. Again very sorry that you got hurt, but I'm sure I'll see you back in no time.

Partner blazesod

Oct 9, 2006, 8:09 AM
Post #5 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post- Trophy :)

svilnit

Oct 9, 2006, 8:41 AM
Post #6 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, that must have been scary... Glad to hear that you are ok!

-Steve

overlord

Oct 9, 2006, 8:56 AM
Post #7 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ouch. glad youre ok :wink:

mischief8

Oct 9, 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn dude. glad to hear your okay. here is to wishing you a faster recovery than i had. take it easy and slow.

Daniela

Partner mr8615

Oct 9, 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #9 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad you posted up, Christina. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Mark

Partner neuroshock

Oct 9, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #10 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take your time and get healed up right, the rock will still be there.

however, i hope to see you in chattanooga...we still have to go out drinking.

p.s. - damn you for getting Sexy Back in my head ;) :P

gymbo

Oct 9, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know you, but I've enjoyed your posts. I'm wishing you a full, speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Tony

clausti

Oct 9, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey y'all... thanks so much for everyone wishing me well!

Update: saw an orthopedist today, and I officially did *not* break my back, or compression fracture anything. I do not have to keep wearing the brace. I will climb again, and at the soonest it will be 6-8 weeks. But I will climb again, and I dont need physical therapy. It is still very painful, for which I will continue to take the meds, but it will heal up on its own as long as I am careful with myself for a bit.

And, mike? even if I'm not climbing, you can count on me bringing the sexy back in chatt in dec. I'm looking forward to it.

noell

Oct 10, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, Christina, hope you feel better! That had to have been rough. Good to know you'll be back! Sometimes a little time off is a good thing, because you come back remotivated and ready to go!

Take it easy, k! You'll be cranking again soon. :P

Partner j_ung

Oct 10, 2006, 3:19 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard about this Sunday! I'm so damn glad you're OK, Christina. Wendy and I both send our best. Call us if we can do anything for you.

saxfiend

Oct 10, 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey y'all... thanks so much for everyone wishing me well!

Update: saw an orthopedist today, and I officially did *not* break my back, or compression fracture anything. I do not have to keep wearing the brace. I will climb again, and at the soonest it will be 6-8 weeks. But I will climb again, and I dont need physical therapy. It is still very painful, for which I will continue to take the meds, but it will heal up on its own as long as I am careful with myself for a bit.
Good news! I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.

I hope it's some consolation that you placed in the top 5 in the comp in spite of your fall! :wink:

JL

clausti

Oct 10, 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard about this Sunday! I'm so damn glad you're OK, Christina. Wendy and I both send our best. Call us if we can do anything for you.

oh, man, jay... yeah. i guess dan told yall? thanks for the well wishes... it means a lot to me, esp in the lag period in between everybody freaking out and me being actually ok, you know? to read this stuff in this thread and in my inbox.

you never know, though, i'll get cleared for driving 5 hours long before i get cleared for climbing again, and i might come up to the new to visit. be psyched if yall'd led me throw my crash pad on your floor again. [hard surfaces better.] as long as you promise not to let lewis eat my face.

anykineclimb

Oct 10, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yikes. Sounds like a scary situation for ya. Glad everything is working out well. So much for the road trip eh?

clausti

Oct 10, 2006, 9:21 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yikes. Sounds like a scary situation for ya. Glad everything is working out well. So much for the road trip eh?

hahahah. oh no bitches, the road trip is on. they said climbing again in 6-8 weeks. road trip isnt for another three months/12-13 weeks. i may not be kicking ass and taking names at the beginning of my trip, but i'm still going.

noell

Oct 10, 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So much for the road trip? Nah!!! I'd say, she'll be able to climb again in 6-8 weeks (said dr right?) so that's just in time for her trip!!! Definitely go if you feel up to it Christina - Criag and I just got back from three months on the road and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's about cranking but it's also about meeting people, climbing on different types of rock, just having a good time, and you can totally do that when you are feeling better.

clausti

Oct 10, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

noell, you get it. :D

i miss you, girl, i aint seen you in a long long time.

irish_ice

Oct 11, 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #21 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear you're ok. It's a bummer, but it could have been so much worse. (I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times). A broken back sticks with ya forever, no matter how well it heals, but a sprain, that should go away with no scars, so to speak. Certainly not a doctor, but I can speak from experience, take it easy, wear the brace like it's your bones (as annoying and uncomfortable as they are), and you'll heal up in no time :wink: On the bright side, it's sweater weather comin up, hides the brace well :lol:

anykineclimb

Oct 11, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #22 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

hahahah. oh no b----, the road trip is on. they said climbing again in 6-8 weeks. road trip isnt for another three months/12-13 weeks. i may not be kicking ass and taking names at the beginning of my trip, but i'm still going.

AWESOME!

good to hear.

clausti

Oct 11, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #23 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Glad to hear you're ok. It's a bummer, but it could have been so much worse. (I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times). A broken back sticks with ya forever, no matter how well it heals, but a sprain, that should go away with no scars, so to speak. Certainly not a doctor, but I can speak from experience, take it easy, wear the brace like it's your bones (as annoying and uncomfortable as they are), and you'll heal up in no time :wink: On the bright side, it's sweater weather comin up, hides the brace well :lol:

actually, about the brace... well for one, they didnt have a brace either in the ER or the orthopedistin clemson that was small enough to fit me properly, so the one i have doesnt quite fit. and the doctor said that unless i really felt like i needed it for the pain, that i didnt have to wear it because it deconditions the stabilizer muscles for standing, ect.

i am trying to not wear the brace. we shall see what happens.

and, sadly, sweater weather isnt going to begin in clemson, on a consistent basis, for months yet. ohwell.

htotsu

Oct 11, 2006, 1:52 AM
Post #24 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tell everyone it's a new corset from Paris. A well-placed "you have seen this in Vogue, haven't you?" wouldn't hurt.

fenix83

Oct 11, 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Claust, good to hear you're doing well.

Take care.

*Good vibes from bannana-land*

-F

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook