Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

shanz

Jan 26, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #51 of 80 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
mushroomsamba wrote:
well I do more than boulder.

I lead sport "hopefully trad soon" and I love to get out and TR. but bouldering is just fun, it's more of a community thing when you can get alot of your friends together and work on a problem. But I still say that bouldering is just like any other form of rock climbing no matter what the trad guys say.

you sound like one of those 14 year old kids who has a chip on their shoulder about people who, you know, are real climbers.
\

Hehe but then again most of us trad guys dont have any friends and the ones we call our friends we only tolerate when they are on the lead or drunk

reg

Jan 26, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #52 of 80 (1417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there's probably ah handful of reasons that make some folks in the climbing community want to bash bouldering. hatred IMHO aint one of them but jealousy, envey, insecurity, boredom, bi polar disorder, in your face rudeness for fun, etc.

that said i don't believe bouldering to be on par with climbing cause you ain't riskin your life and you ain't xteen rope lenghts off the deck. that makes it a whole nother sack o beans.

edit: but i will add that i like bouldering it's ah cool thing to do - neat group of folks havin ah good time hangin and pullin down - gettin down. cool stuff

(This post was edited by reg on Jan 26, 2007, 8:27 PM)

kriso9tails

Jan 26, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #53 of 80 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:

you sound like one of those 14 year old kids who has a chip on their shoulder about people who, you know, are real climbers.

I deny the right of anyone that gives a sport line an 'R' safety rating to make such a remark.

caughtinside wrote:
killer route. on the R side, especially first and second bolts

Don't worry, someday I'll come to your crag so you can see what a real climber looks like. =P

kriso9tails

Jan 26, 2007, 8:44 PM
Post #54 of 80 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
that said i don't believe bouldering to be on par with climbing cause you ain't riskin your life and you ain't xteen rope lenghts off the deck. that makes it a whole nother sack o beans.

I guess, sort of... not really (IMO). No matter how many rope lengths off the deck I am on a roped climb, I'm still not hitting the deck if I fall (and if I am... well, I guess I fucked up). No matter how many rope lengths I am not off the deck, when I boulder I'm still hitting the deck if I fall.

You can push it on or off the rope. It's funny how pulling a move some 30' above your last piece and throwing a dyno to unknown holds at the top of a 25' boulder can start to feel similar.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Jan 26, 2007, 8:45 PM)

billcoe_

Jan 26, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #55 of 80 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be hatin bro.

joe

Jan 26, 2007, 9:23 PM
Post #56 of 80 (1369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll take the bait on this trollfest. I could use a little target practice, anyway...

fulton wrote:
yeah, i totally agree with you. I mean, what's more corethan bouldering? think of the perils:
1) leaving the lights on in your Range Rover
2) running out of weed
3) getting a rock stuck under your filp flops
4) trousers getting dirty
5) girlfriend getting board watching you not send
6) oh, and god forbid that 8 feet of air under you feet... scary...

Stereotype much? I was wondering if you were feigning such blatant fucking ignorance and audacity, but then I saw you have a degree in English Lit and that answered my question. I could go on about the comprehensive abilities of someone who spent a shitload of money for a paper towel with some fancy letters on it, but I'm getting kinda "board" with it.

In reply to:
side note: no one has ever died bouldering - which is why boulders like it.

Hey, there's a nice little factoid! Very Condoleeza Rice-ish

Sidenote: Go to Flagstaff or Hueco and ask around for someone who knew Robert Drysdale, he or she can straighten you out on that. They didn't teach you fact checking in Fancy Book Learning School, did they?

Okay and on to next dumbfuck...
petsfed wrote:
First, bouldering is only training for real climbing. You don't see any really good climbers bouldering all the time.

Come to Moab sometime. I'll introduce you to a guy who has spent the last five or six winters onsighting "5.11+" first ascents in Patagonia, as well as a authoring a handful of unrepeated 5.12 X routes in Millcreek. You know, what you describe as Real Climbing™. Guess what? He boulders all the fucking time. I know about five or six other "boulderers" who also participate in Real Climbing™. They'll be happy to put the rope up on that 5.10a Real Climb™ you've been struggling with.

In reply to:
Second, the critic wants to make sure that boulderers everywhere keep their feet firmly planted in reality when it comes to the their actual ability (see above).

What the fuck is this drivel? Actual ability? You mean the ability to climb something that isn't a jughaul or a slab? Or do you mean the ability to give every fucking ounce of your strength to pulling the hardest moves you've ever done, to do a problem that some goober who flails on 5.8 will just dismiss as invalid. Firmly planted in what reality? You mean, the one you've created in your mind to help you cope with actual reality, the one where someone sending a hard problem is just plain, flat out more bad ass than some chickenshit goob with a huge rack dinky-doinking up some stupid crack.

In reply to:
Third, bouldering really isn't all that hard. Its a mystery to many why so many people spend so much time doing something so pointless and easy.

It's a mystery because you haven't really tried it. How do I know? Because you think it's easy.

People diss bouldering for the same reason people diss slacklining, because they can't do it and are afraid of trying it. If you really believe that bouldering is never scary or bold, there's a moderately rated little problem in Little Cottonwood Canyon called Big Baby Jesus for you. Go on, stud. You got it.

fulton

Jan 26, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #57 of 80 (1353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joe] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe, thanks for offering to introduce us to "reel" climbers Wink
hahahaha

joe

Jan 26, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #58 of 80 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
Joe, thanks for offering to introduce us to "reel" climbers Wink
hahahaha

Hold on, I gotta get this goddamn hook out of my mouth.

You bouldering-haters are the Real™ ones. Don't you ever forget that.

raymondjeffrey

Jan 26, 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #59 of 80 (1300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that it is the difference in the overall 'scenes'. Bouldering scenes often include younger folks who like different music, food, beer, etc than the older trad guys. Therefore you get different personalities when comparing the groups. I don't like bouldering cuz I don't like gymnastics (which is what it is when you are performing hard-ass moves 5 feet off the ground) and I like the older guys' trad stories of suffering and misery over stories of how hard a crimpy sequence is on boulder probs. But with that said, one can't deny that bouldering is a supreme wrkout and training tool.

JiBs22

Jan 26, 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #60 of 80 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joe - that was single handedly one of the best flame / rants I've heard in awhile...thank you I had a really long day at work and this made it much better.

big_red

Jan 27, 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #61 of 80 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JiBs22] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"You know how I know you're gay? You like to boulder..."

haha sorry a friend of mine said that to me and it cracks me up.

Creek_Nostalgia

Jan 27, 2007, 6:12 AM
Post #62 of 80 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
mushroomsamba wrote:
somthing I've just noticed, is that people tend to call bouldering "not climbing" or "useless/stupid".

I'm just curious as why people are saying this. we're in a community sharing the thing we love, why do people feel the need to bash others. Bouldering is just like other forms of climbing, your climbing a rock plain and simple.

if you dont like bouldering, suck it up allready, we're tired of hearing your shit.

There are three reasons for this:

First, bouldering is only training for real climbing. You don't see any really good climbers bouldering all the time.

Second, the critic wants to make sure that boulderers everywhere keep their feet firmly planted in reality when it comes to the their actual ability (see above).

Third, bouldering really isn't all that hard. Its a mystery to many why so many people spend so much time doing something so pointless and easy.

Hope that cleared it up for you. Wink

wow. this coming from you, bouldering a V4... bouldering isnt hard? and i guess you also bench 3 times your body weight. Every part of climbing is unique, thats why its so freakin great!

jt512

Jan 27, 2007, 6:47 AM
Post #63 of 80 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mushroomsamba wrote:
somthing I've just noticed, is that people tend to call bouldering "not climbing" or "useless/stupid".

I'm just curious as why people are saying this. we're in a community sharing the thing we love, why do people feel the need to bash others. Bouldering is just like other forms of climbing, your climbing a rock plain and simple.

if you dont like bouldering, suck it up allready, we're tired of hearing your shit.

They don't hate boulderers per se. They hate people who randomly capitalize the first word of their sentences, don't know the difference between "your" and "you're," don't use apostrophes in their contractions, omit commas, use commas in place of periods, and think "already" has two "l"s. For some reason this describes many boulderers, especially boulderers from Pennsylvania.

Jay

styleboy

Jan 27, 2007, 7:18 AM
Post #64 of 80 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

They don't hate boulderers per se. They hate people who randomly capitalize the first word of their sentences, don't know the difference between "your" and "you're," don't use apostrophes in their contractions, omit commas, use commas in place of periods, and think "already" has two "l"s. For some reason this describes many boulderers, especially boulderers from Pennsylvania.

Jay

I'm sure he appreciates the english lesson here at rockclimbing.com. I think my next stop will be englishasmysecondlaunguage.com for all my climbing inquiries.Shocked

Partner jammer

Jan 27, 2007, 1:56 PM
Post #65 of 80 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody really hates bouldering or boulderers. We all just like to have fun at your expense ... Wink

It's really a progression:

1.Start bouldering at a very young age and like it. Added by request: "Don't touch the ground"

2. After bouldering for awhile, you step up to Sport. Not too scarry, for bolts are in place, but pretty high.

3. Hit a ceiling in sport, getting a little older and feeling like the sport crags are too packed, you try trad.

4. After awhile in trad, you feel like you have not pushed yourself on these easier lines, so you add aid to your mix.

5. After flailing around trad lines for awhile, you realize you're getting older and have a hard time climbing after thrashing around in the brush trying to find the start of your next climb.

6. You start climbing trad lines nearer to your parked car to save your dying energy.

7. You then go back to sport climbing cause the gear is too heavy to carry around for miles and miles and .... Found that you can climb harder then before and have a new love for the sport.

8. Sick of having to wait in lines for the routes you've had you eyes on for a long time, so you diss the harness and rope and replace it with a matteress.

9. Back to where it all started. This time, you have the experience of sport, trad & aid and can feel like a "real climber" for that reason. Pulling down on V5's ain't as bad as you first thought.

10 ..... You end up laying around, drinking too much and becoming like "curt", a grumpy old fart.Wink

So ... all in all, we are all boulderers in the beginning and in the end ... why hate ourselves?

(This post was edited by jammer on Jan 27, 2007, 2:45 PM)

armsrforclimbing

Jan 27, 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #66 of 80 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hear Hear.

As a reformed boulderer in the "goob with a rack thats too big" category, I have to say I wholeheartedly agree.

The only real climbing is Ice Climbing anyway.

armsrforclimbing

Jan 27, 2007, 2:38 PM
Post #67 of 80 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armsrforclimbing] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jammer, I want to add to your list at the begining. I started with playing "Don't touch the ground" in my basement when I was a kid. Cranking off the wainscott moulding is the only real climbing.

hidemu

Jan 27, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #68 of 80 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bouldering is awesome, bouldering is my favorite type of climbing right now. im just starting to get into sport but for me nothing beats having a great day bouldering, no worries, no real dangers (besides hurt fingers) just you vs the rocks

curt

Jan 27, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #69 of 80 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jammer wrote:
10 ..... You end up laying around, drinking too much and becoming like "curt", a grumpy old fart.Wink

So ... all in all, we are all boulderers in the beginning and in the end ... why hate ourselves?

...kind of like starting out and ending up in diapers. Jesus, that's depressing. Thanks a lot.Wink

Curt

jgloporto

Jan 27, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #70 of 80 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't hate boulderers or bouldering as a discipline for the simple fact that there are a lot of poor kids out there in countries like Thailand, Africa and Kentucky that have a love for climbing and can't afford gear. They should have a way to enjoy this sport and it would be wrong to hate Sally Struthers type kids.

Likewise, some of those poor kids might have been smart enough to sniff around the base of trad lines and assemble enough gear to put some draws together and can then progress to sport climbing.

For those reasons, I can't in good conscience say that I hate boulderers and sport climbers as a group. It's damn near immoral.

Oh, and whoever said ice climbing is the only real climbing, I sadly have to concur. While I don't consider myself to be an ice climber, based on the few times I have done it I must admit, that is some scary shit. So, since trad climbing isn't real climbing either, I suggest we come up with some new names. I suggest the following:

Bouldering ---> No need to change it since it doesn't imply actual climbing

Sport climbing ---> "Sport Knitting"

Trad Climbing ---> "Trad cookie baking"

I'd love to hear some alternatives so feel free to cut and paste:

Bouldering ---> _______________

Sport climbing ---> ________________

Trad Climbing ---> __________________

flamer

Jan 27, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #71 of 80 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joe wrote:
I'll take the bait on this trollfest.

Joe you're so hot....can I toss your salad?

Might be out your way next week..let's get a beer!

josh

Partner jammer

Jan 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #72 of 80 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
joe wrote:
I'll take the bait on this trollfest.

Joe you're so hot....can I toss your salad?

Might be out your way next week..let's get a beer!

josh

Shocked ... Shocked ... Shocked

I ... ah ... well ... mmm ... never mind! Unimpressed

Partner jammer

Jan 27, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #73 of 80 (1046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jammer wrote:

...kind of like starting out and ending up in diapers. Jesus, that's depressing. Thanks a lot.Wink

Curt

Damn Man! That Depends!! Cool

dharmatreez

Jan 28, 2007, 7:15 PM
Post #74 of 80 (1005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Curt

depressed, you should not be

end of climbing's life cycle, you have reached

...a twist on jammer's evolution idea

(This post was edited by dharmatreez on Jan 29, 2007, 6:30 AM)
Attachments: climber life cycle.jpg (122 KB)

Partner jammer

Jan 28, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #75 of 80 (1002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] why this hatred for bouldering... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dharmatreez wrote:

depressed, you should not be

end of climbing's life cycle, you have reached

Yoda strikes again!

(This post was edited by jammer on Jan 28, 2007, 7:19 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook