Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wanlessrm

Mar 1, 2007, 4:35 PM
Post #26 of 41 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Learn the Monkeys Paw and you'll always have the right gear for any size crack!

markc

Mar 1, 2007, 4:36 PM
Post #27 of 41 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus, you reminded me of the time my twin and I ran away from home. While we were defiant enough to run away, we didn't have the nerve to cross the street without permission. We took a big bag of popcorn and a few toys and played on the sidewalk just around the corner. We eventually decided to go home, only to realize no one knew we'd run away.

dingus

Mar 1, 2007, 4:52 PM
Post #28 of 41 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc

When I was 10 I decided to hit the trail. I gathered the gear I had... army pup tent, sleeping bag and the cheap aluminum frame backpack I got at Rockaway Sales somewhere in NE New Jersey. Headed off into the woods and made camp in a big stand of pines near the woods road where we went sledding every winter.

After sitting in camp for a while it dawned on me I had no food. And I'd already started one wild fire so I couldn't summon the nerve to try a camp fire.

Back to the house I went, probably a 1/4 or a 1/2 mile away.

My pop had a pop-up camper and in it was a propane stove bolted to a counter top. I caved into it, debolted the stove and slid it out.

I was in the process of stealing some Campbell's Beef Soup (always loved that beef soup with those little oat thingies in it) out of my mom's cupboard when my eldest sister Christine caught me.

"What are you doing?"

My lies were insufficient as a can of soup was sticking from my pocket. "What is that, SOUP???!!!"

Slowly she interrogated the truth out of me... I was running away but came back for food, haha.

Know what my big sis did? She had me put the soup back, she helped me bolt the stove back in the camper, then we hiked to the pine grove and broke camp. She even carried the back pack for me!

So we put all the stuff back and so far as I know, Christine NEVER told my parents I'd run away that day.

That was the first time. I got much farther on subsequent attempts.

Cheers
DMT

moof

Mar 1, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #29 of 41 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Done!

Well not really. The problem is that you can never be complete. There will always be some oddball route you run into that call for 4 pink tricams, or want to aid some monster that requires a pile of knifeblades, etc whatever.

Once you have a good base of nuts, small to largish cams, go out and climb. As you find yourself scared away from routes due to lack of gear, buy what you need. A few years back I wanted to jump on Double Cross. The night before I hit the store and grabbed an extra #3 and #3.5 friend so I would have a total of 6 pieces in the #2-#3 camalot range. I plugged everyone of them into that 80' pumpfest.

I since bootied another #2 camalot, and now have 5 pieces of that size. Sure enough, an aid route I want to do calls for about 5 as a minimum. Sheesh.

(This post was edited by moof on Mar 1, 2007, 7:09 PM)

Partner cracklover

Mar 1, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #30 of 41 (1141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've gotta be kidding, right? To climb anywhere in the country (again aside from splitterville) you need: 8 cams, 1.5 sets of nuts, two or three tricams, and either a few doubles in mid-size cams or a half set of hexes.

That's it. Why you'd think your rack is not up to snuff is completely beyond me. Though if you really want to spend more, you could pick up a couple ballnutz and/or rps. They're light, and, especially on harder climbs, it's sometimes that or nothing.

To become an all around climber, you need to climb all around.

I dare you to go on a long road trip. Climb all over the place. Have a blast. And just try to haul that whole rack of yours up all your climbs, and do it over and over again for weeks. You'll quickly learn that less is more.

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 1, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #31 of 41 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, with the exception of some hooks and smaller gear, you've got a pretty sweet aid rack there, buddy. Bigger than mine.

Sheesh.

GO

8flood8

Mar 1, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #32 of 41 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

heheh

so are you calling me a gear whore?

i must admit to the charges.

I definitely agree i am not going to be carrying every piece up every route.

I was asking for opinions on how close to "complete" everyone else thinks this rack is. To me, the responses have told me pretty much what i have been thinking to myself.

my rack is mostly complete... its time to climb! hehe

i'll probably buy a c4 #5 and a #6 and then climb until i find that i "NEED" another piece of gear.

Thanks again for the discussions!

So here is my plan... i'm gonna dog my way up every 8 in sight and then start aiding harder shit until i can climb it :)

thanks again !!

ROCK ON

moof

Mar 1, 2007, 8:31 PM
Post #33 of 41 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd hold off on the #6 till you really have a route to go with it. My #5 finds lots of use, but the #6 has probably averaged about 2 pitches a year that it was placed on, and I'm a bit of a chimney hor.

Partner hosh

Mar 1, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #34 of 41 (1106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no doctor, but I think you may all be suffering from "Dysphoric Social Attention Consumption Deficit Anxiety Disorder." This condition (DSACDAD) May be treated, but it may require medication. But there's hepl! http://www.havidol may be able to offer some hope for us all...

hosh.

dr_feelgood

Mar 1, 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #35 of 41 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got most of you out gearwhored...
suckers

nedsurf

Mar 1, 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #36 of 41 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tyler Durden: F*** off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.Wink

Partner cracklover

Mar 2, 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #37 of 41 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moof wrote:
I'd hold off on the #6 till you really have a route to go with it. My #5 finds lots of use, but the #6 has probably averaged about 2 pitches a year that it was placed on, and I'm a bit of a chimney hor.

Hey, if the dude want's to support BD by buying a big useless boat anchor, why stop him?

Unless you're way into wide already, bigger than a #4 Camalot is a place you only need to go when push comes to shove - it's not a typical climber's need. Only time I've placed nything bigger than that is aid and sustained offwidth.

GO

8flood8

Mar 5, 2007, 9:19 AM
Post #38 of 41 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a climb at enchanted rock, called jackknife (2nd pitch is cave crack) that takes the number 6. it will get used, but what i didn't mention

i've been selling my first rack off to buy newer cooler toys.
so its not like i'm digging deep. I like climbing and i like gear. it doesnt just stop at cams :P

dr_feelgood

Mar 5, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #39 of 41 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:
there is a climb at enchanted rock, called jackknife (2nd pitch is cave crack) that takes the number 6. it will get used, but what i didn't mention

i've been selling my first rack off to buy newer cooler toys.
so its not like i'm digging deep. I like climbing and i like gear. it doesnt just stop at cams :P
Sure... It'll take a #6... Or you could just run it out.

sky7high

Mar 5, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #40 of 41 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wanted your rack to bew complete, you would need to know all the routes in the US and the specific pieces they will take, since that's not possible, I'd say I would go climbing with your rack anytime, Actually, there's routes that only require a set of stoppers, unless of course you are planning to do some aid climbing.

8flood8

Mar 8, 2007, 7:30 AM
Post #41 of 41 (981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sky7high] opinions on trad rack "completeness" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

inevitably

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook