RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

neeshman

Sep 27, 2002, 6:03 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Death in Linville Gorge NC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whoa, that is horrible. Sorry to hear it.

deafclimber

Sep 29, 2002, 2:18 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Death in Linville Gorge NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sad... sorry to hear that... i wished he was with someone with trad climbing experiences.

micronut

Sep 29, 2002, 3:11 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very sad. I remember when I was 19 and teaching myself how to climb. I don't know how I survived.

Fortunalely, I was able to hook up with a "mentor" named Don, who took me under his wing and put me on a program. I cleaned gear on literally 100 pitches before I lead anything harder than 5.6. By the end of that first season with Don, I was on-sighting 5.8's at Josh. I have since had several apprentices who have become solid, it's something I'm so happy to be able to give back. I hope the trad. masters out there make a point of helping the next generation, so things like this will be less likely to happen.

jmlangford

Sep 29, 2002, 3:45 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a thread that was started a couple of weeks ago on this accident.

This is the article from the Morganton, NC newspaper:

Morganton man falls to death climbing at Table Rock

By SHARON McBRAYER
The News Herald

MORGANTON -- A Morganton man fell to his death Saturday while he was rock climbing with a friend at Table Rock.

Colin Guy Treiber, 20, of Hopewell Road, according to Burke County Emergency Services, was climbing in the North Carolina Wall area when he slipped and fell about 150 to 200 feet. The North Carolina Wall area is south of the Table Rock parking area.

Burke County Sheriff's Detective Robert Beall, who assisted in the investigation, said Treiber, who was an experienced climber, lost his balance before he was able to clip into the fifth protection pin.

"He got number five in but he never got connected to it," Beall said.

When Treiber lost his balance and began falling, the rock where the fourth protection pin was anchored broke, causing the pin to come out. The first, second and third protection pins remained but were not enough to hold him.

Jerry Carter, a family friend, said by the time anchor pin three could catch him, he had fallen far enough to be injured.

Treiber was in a section of the cliff that was jutting outward over his head when he lost his footing.

Beall said there were numerous climbers at the scene with 25 years of experience in climbing who said Treiber was using the right equipment and it was in good working order.

"Right now, none of his equipment was a contributing factor," Beall said. "It's just an unfortunate accident."

Beall said, "He was a well-thought of man. All of his teachers thought he would be president."

Treiber was a rising junior at the School of Design at North Carolina State University but had taken the fall semester off to extend his internship with Henredon Furniture.

He had attended Freedom High School and was a graduate of the North Carolina School of Science and Math in Durham.

"He was well on his way," Carter said. "Burke County has lost one of its brightest rising stars. He followed in the wake of his phenomenal twin sisters, but he found his own path to excellence."

Treiber's mother remembers him saying he wanted to create designs which would make people's lives better.

Treiber, in addition to climbing, was an avid bike rider, speed skater, body builder and ran on the Freedom High track team.

Carter said Treiber also snorkeled and had just gotten back from a family vacation in the Bahamas.

Treiber was the son of Miklos and Kelly Sprinkle Treiber and was the brother of twin sisters, Kyle and Kimberly Treiber.

Resources from Burke County Emergency Services, Burke County EMS Special Operations Team, Jonas Ridge Fire and First Responders, Burke County Rescue Squad, Lake James Fire Department, Oak Hill Fire Department, Burke County REACT, N.C. Outward Bound School and Linville Central Rescue were dispatched to the scene.

Beall said rescue workers were dedicated to getting Treiber out of the area. His body was recovered Saturday around 10 p.m.

"There were about 40 emergency workers out there who did an outstanding job," Beall said. "My hat is off to them. It was very rough terrain."

d9durante

Sep 30, 2002, 4:01 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, incredibly sad and unfortunate

billcoe_

Oct 21, 2002, 7:14 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Orgave: I have never (thats correct) never seen an accurate newpaper artical on any accident of incident I have been involved in.

I have talked slow to the sherrif explaning the nature of the setup I have found, how the ropes are positioned etc etc: had him write down every damn word, and seen something else appear in the paper.

Can't tell you why it's like that, but it's made me damn jaded over trusting the newpaper for any info.

Bill

rocks4jules

Oct 21, 2002, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must be friggin nuts to keep this hobby/art up? Of course, that goes for all of us here on rc.com. I keep hearing stories like this, and I keep wanting to climb. That is so sad about another climber losing his life. Especially at such a young age too. In addition, I just read on the SpokaneMountaineer website that a climber lost his life on Sept. 28, 2002. We have certainly lost many climbers throughout this year.

However, I will continue to climb. Be safe, and CLIMB ON!!!

JULES

jmlangford

Oct 21, 2002, 8:06 PM
Post #8 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jules...I believe that climber was Goran Kropp.

Billcoe...you're right the newspaper NEVER gets it right on stories like this. My dad and I rode our bicycles from Canada down here to central CA when I was a kid and the local newspaper interviewed us on our trip. They asked about anything unusual and we told them about one time when my dad kept breaking spokes and ran out of spares-had to go about 25 miles with broken spokes. The paper said he went 25 miles with NO spokes. A levitating bicycle wheel, cool!

The media isn't real bright sometimes. I work for the CA Hwy Patrol and the patch on our shoulder has the CA state seal and a gold miner and the word "Eureka". I was near Santa Maria CA one day with a spike strip waiting to throw it out in front of a car that was being pursued toward me. The media babe was there waiting to get in on the action and she looked at my shoulder patch and said, "You came all the way from Eureka for this?". Never mind that we were over 600 miles from Eureka...the crazy gal had no idea what the state seal was or that she was looking at a patch,not an advertisement of where I was from. Unbelieveable!

rocks4jules

Oct 21, 2002, 10:07 PM
Post #9 of 9 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, Mike Merriman, chairman of the Spokane Mountaineers, passed away from a heart attack 9/27/02.

Jules

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook