Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sshagy

Jun 6, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #26 of 33 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

munky wrote:
That sounds disgusting!
far from it my friend, don't knock it till you try it.

the advantage of green smoothie + protein = shake is that you're getting a much wider variety of nutrients than basic milk + protein = shake formulas.

but whatever floats your boat should work...

pmp

Jun 6, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #27 of 33 (1409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmp] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EAS.com offers some simple height to weight calculators and it categorizes me as being borderline overweight. I'm 5'10 175 with very little bodyfat. I can't understand it....

climbinwv

Jun 6, 2007, 7:49 PM
Post #28 of 33 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmp] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My buddy came across a thing called "The Weiner Test"
Simply, if your belly is too big that standing straight up you can't see your dick....your too fat (or your pecker is too small).Crazy

tivvis

Jun 6, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #29 of 33 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tivvis] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After reading everyone's replies it made me think... Maybe I don't need to worried sooo much about protein. I really just want to lose more weight. Lose about 15 to 20 pounds of fat and tone up. I have been working my arm a lot for climbing and just don't want to lose this muscle and go down in my climbing ability. I am concerned that if I don't get enough protein while dropping this extra weight I'll loose the little muscle I have and the efforts I am putting in to gain (a little more muscle/tone up) will be lost. I am not trying to get cut or look like a body builder. I just trying to tone up, lose weight, and climb better. Someone said I should see a trainer or nutritionist. I really wish I could. I feel in one sitting everything I need to know will be answered, but I can't afford one at this point in my life. I have talked to a lot of people, but everyone seems to say different things.

Thank you all for your post and I look forward to reading what everyone has to say.

Jay if your out there I would love to hear what you have to say!!!

sshagy

Jun 7, 2007, 6:30 PM
Post #30 of 33 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you have to remember that exercise is what builds and maintains muscle mass, protein shakes are just a suppliment: w/o exercise the protein shakes won't give you any gains.

I recommend HIIT (high intensity interval training)
which would help you lose weight, and don't worry about 'losing' muscle mass because you won't; as long as you do high intensity cardiovascular exercise then you'll be gaining lean muscle mass. and lean muscle requires less oxygen to fuel which is good, and w/ the HIIT you'll be gaining fast-twitch muscle fiber.

sidepull

Jun 7, 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #31 of 33 (1332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tivvis wrote:
. . . I am not trying to get cut or look like a body builder. I just trying to tone up, lose weight, . . .

Do you realize you're talking about the same thing, just different levels of commitment/time? You get "toned" the same way you get "cut." It's not as though either happens over night - the process is largely the same, you just tweak the parameters a bit. This is like women who say, "I don't lift weights because I don't want to get HUGE!" As if 1 session of curling 50lbs would immediately produce 20 inch biceps.

Indeed, if you read Jay's thread on "how to lose weight while gaining muscle*" and compare it to most bodybuilding diets you'd find a remarkable level of similarity. Jay isn't advocating bodybuilding (in fact weights are almost an anathema to climbing for him) but a good process is a good process, e.g. there's a reason why the diets look so similar.

*edit: HA! Jay must have rolled his eyes when he saw this. Sorry, I must have been looking at too many weight lifting sites today. I'll leave the wrong title just as a joke on my own idiocy. Enjoy!Sly

(This post was edited by sidepull on Jun 8, 2007, 5:04 AM)

jt512

Jun 7, 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #32 of 33 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tivvis wrote:
My question is if I should use a protein shake and if so which one? I am trying to lose weight (fat) while gaining muscle. I am 5'2 and weigh about 128. I have been eating about little under 1000- 1500 calories a day. I have managed to eat around 40-80 grams of protein a day, but have had a hard time eating much more than that. My main goal is to lose weight, but I don't want to lose any of the muscle I have worked soooo hard to get and I would really like to keep gaining muscle. Should I be using shakes to get more protein? If so what kind? This is a whole new world to me.

In advance thanks for all your help!
Tivvis

First of all, you need to get a better handle on how many calories and how much protein you are consuming. 1500 kcal is a lot more than 1000 kcal, and 80 g is a lot more than 40 g. 40 g of protein is definitely too low (it doesn't even meet the US RDI).

You definitely should use a protein supplement of some kind while dieting. See my thread in the Technique and Training forum entitled "How to Lose Weight to Improve Your Climbing."

Jay

scotchie

Jun 8, 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #33 of 33 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need 1 - 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. After that you're just throwing money away (and adding calories). The per/lbs thing was invented by those who don't know the difference between a lbs and a kg.

For your bodyweight that's 60-70 g/day, which you are probably already getting. Most people who aren't vegetarians get much more protein than they can use.

Some research suggests that whey protein shakes might help one hour after a muscle-pumping workout to promote muscle recovery. I suspect that the carbs, minerals, and hydration probably help more than the protein does.

Climbing is lifting weight. It's just that you're lifting your bodyweight instead of iron weights.

Aim for a small calorie deficit and maintain it over a long time. If the calorie defecit is too large, it will make you weak.

Be sure to get enough vitamins, since eating less food means eating fewer vitamins.

Good luck and have fun!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook