Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Aug 6, 2007, 5:22 AM
Post #1 of 77 (19412 views)
Shortcut

Building mechanical advantage part II
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright n00bs, you had two weeks since I posted my 3:1 MA, and now quiz time.

To review 3:1 click link
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Three questions;

What type of MA we got here

A- simple MA
B- Complex MA

What is the MA on both system combined ?

A- 4:1
B- 8:1
C- complex 3:1
D- 7:1
E- 5:1

Assuming all ropes are in straight line. if tire weights 300 lbs, how much weight Joe is pulling +_.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Aug 6, 2007, 4:55 PM)

curt

Aug 6, 2007, 5:28 AM
Post #2 of 77 (19403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who the hell is Joe? Also, I'll guess (C) - what do I win?

Curt

(This post was edited by curt on Aug 6, 2007, 5:30 AM)

majid_sabet

Aug 6, 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #3 of 77 (19398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry curt, It was Jay

Partner j_ung

Aug 6, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #4 of 77 (19353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll guess 5:1, 60lbs, but I've never seen this set up before.

I'll guess complex, because it doesn't look very "simple." Also, though I don't have anywhere near the rescue experience you do, I think there are better ways to achieve 5:1, such as redirecting a Z-drag and getting a little help from old man gravity (or even piggybacking a C onto a Z (since you have an extra piece of rope) for 6:1). This looks similar to that, but unless Joe/Jay wants to continually untie and adjust the length of the blue rope, I don't think he'll be able to get the tire to the top with this particular system.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Aug 6, 2007, 1:45 PM)

Partner j_ung

Aug 6, 2007, 1:44 PM
Post #5 of 77 (19348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this system reduce friction over a more simple set up that might achieve the same theoretical advantage?

trenchdigger

Aug 6, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #6 of 77 (19313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Does this system reduce friction over a more simple set up that might achieve the same theoretical advantage?

Nice job, Jung... 5:1 is correct, as is "complex".

The cool thing about this system is that it's a simple mod to turn a 3:1 system into this 5:1. Sure, you could just stack a Z-rig on a 3:1 system with the same extra equipment to get 6:1, but with this 5:1 system, you still only have one prusik to reset with each haul. With the 6:1, you would have two prusiks to reset.

The 5:1 shown will surely get the tire to the top - and without retying anything. Simply haul until the pulley on the blue rope gets to one end of the rope, reset the prusik on the main line, and haul again.

There isn't much difference friction-wise if you assume all pulleys have the same loss, though the 6:1 is ever so slightly less efficient.

One thing to keep in mind with this system is that one of the pulleys endures twice the load of the other two pulleys (80% of the weight of the tire). If you have pulleys of different strengths, choose their locations wisely.

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Aug 6, 2007, 3:28 PM)

stymingersfink

Aug 6, 2007, 9:35 PM
Post #7 of 77 (19242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:

The 5:1 shown will surely get the tire to the top - and without retying anything. Simply haul until the pulley on the blue rope gets to one end of the rope, reset the prusik on the main line, and haul again.
Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

You see, majid has forgotten his progress capture device on the red pulley of the green rope, so he'll merely be lifting the weight up and lowering it back down with the system he has designed here. Perhaps such was his intention, however, IDK.

With inefficiencies inherent with pulley hauling systems, I'll guess about 65-70ish pounds of upward force will be exerted by the sorry sucker at the top of the line. The fact that the hauler is not wearing a helmet means that an asteroid will certainly fall fall from the sky striking his noggin and knocking him unconscious, causing the load to fall abruptly to the ground from whatever height it had been raised to, thereby crushing and killing someone in the middle of an attempt to attach a truck to the tire.

trenchdigger

Aug 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #8 of 77 (19223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
[IMG]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5350/untitled1lj4.jpg[/IMG]

You see, majid has forgotten his progress capture device on the red pulley of the green rope, so he'll merely be lifting the weight up and lowering it back down with the system he has designed here. Perhaps such was his intention, however, IDK.

With inefficiencies inherent with pulley hauling systems, I'll guess about 65-70ish pounds of upward force will be exerted by the sorry sucker at the top of the line. The fact that the hauler is not wearing a helmet means that an asteroid will certainly fall fall from the sky striking his noggin and knocking him unconscious, causing the load to fall abruptly to the ground from whatever height it had been raised to, thereby crushing and killing someone in the middle of an attempt to attach a truck to the tire.

hah... I stand corrected.

Is it ironic that I'm sitting in a tire shop getting new tires put on my truck?

el_layclimber

Aug 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #9 of 77 (19218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would not identify myself as a noob, but I have no idea what is going on there.

That's why I: a. do not do anything that involves hauling (or pooping in a bag and saving it).
b. do not get in accidents/fall in crevasses/ have a partner do same, and have to self-rescue.

majid_sabet

Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #10 of 77 (19213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

el_layclimber wrote:
I would not identify myself as a noob, but I have no idea what is going on there.

That's why I: a. do not do anything that involves hauling (or pooping in a bag and saving it).
b. do not get in accidents/fall in crevasses/ have a partner do same, and have to self-rescue.

You do not need to hide it, just say you only do bouldering

curt

Aug 7, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #11 of 77 (19177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
el_layclimber wrote:

Well, at least boulderers are smart enough to avoid hauling 300 lb. tires up the rock.

Curt

stymingersfink

Aug 7, 2007, 2:39 AM
Post #12 of 77 (19171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
[IMG]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5350/untitled1lj4.jpg[/IMG]

hah... I stand corrected.

Is it ironic that I'm sitting in a tire shop getting new tires put on my truck?
only if a ton rope were to fall from the ceiling, crushing you from its massive weight.

you ARE wearing a helmet... right?Wink

rasoy

Aug 7, 2007, 3:11 AM
Post #13 of 77 (19151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trenchdigger

Nice analysis and stymingersfink nice sharp eye.

Majid, you really need to stop calling these people here n00bs.

stymingersfink

Aug 7, 2007, 3:49 AM
Post #14 of 77 (19130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
One thing to keep in mind with this system is that one of the pulleys endures twice the load of the other two pulleys (80% of the weight of the tire). If you have pulleys of different strengths, choose their locations wisely.

Um, I'm thinking along a different set...

The first red pulley above the tire would experience 200% of the weight of the tire, no? 100% of the initial weight, plus the 100% necessary on the other side to perform the lift.

Am I totally off with that line of thinking? If pulley strength were a consideration, I'd definitely put the strongest one in the position mentioned above. Hopefully it has the largest sheave, too.

edit to add:

Durr... the system with the blue rope will provide a portion of the lift, thereby relieving the pulley mentioned above of x-percentage of the entire load. The top pulley will hold 100% of the load while resetting the haul (if it were a pro-traxion lets say, with ratchet engaged!), but the pulley would experience less load when actually hauling due to the secondary pulley system taking some of the load off??!?

I guess I haven't spent enough time working with complex pulley systems...

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Aug 7, 2007, 4:07 AM)

trenchdigger

Aug 7, 2007, 4:13 AM
Post #15 of 77 (19115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:

The first red pulley above the tire would experience 200% of the weight of the tire, no? 100% of the initial weight, plus the 100% necessary on the other side to perform the lift.

Am I totally off with that line of thinking? If pulley strength were a consideration, I'd definitely put the strongest one in the position mentioned above. Hopefully it has the largest sheave, too.

See the attached photo. Here's my logic...

Assume you're pulling with tension T at point (A).
Assume the pulleys are frictionless.
Assume the system is loaded, but static (not accelerating or moving).

The red circles are pulleys.
The blue and green lines are ropes.
The blue line at pulley 2 is attached to the anchor, not the pulley.

If the tension at point (A) is T, then the tension at points (B) and (C) must also be T.

For equillibrium at pulley 1, the tension in the blue rope at point (F) must be 2T. Therefore the tension at point (E) must also be 2T.

For equillibrium at pulley 3, the tension at point (G) must be 4T.

The tension, then, at the load (H) must be the sum of (G) and (C) which is 5T - hence the 5:1 mechanical advantage.

If we look at the tensions in the lines, pulleys 1 and 2 endure 2T, or 2/5ths of the load. Pulley 3 must endure 4T, or 4/5ths of the load.

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Aug 7, 2007, 4:18 AM)
Attachments: 5to1.gif (6.37 KB)

stymingersfink

Aug 7, 2007, 5:04 AM
Post #16 of 77 (19095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:

See the attached photo. Here's my logic...

Assume you're pulling with tension T at point (A).
Assume the pulleys are frictionless.
Assume the system is loaded, but static (not accelerating or moving).

The red circles are pulleys.
The blue and green lines are ropes.
The blue line at pulley 2 is attached to the anchor, not the pulley.

If the tension at point (A) is T, then the tension at points (B) and (C) must also be T.

For equillibrium at pulley 1, the tension in the blue rope at point (F) must be 2T. Therefore the tension at point (E) must also be 2T.

For equillibrium at pulley 3, the tension at point (G) must be 4T.

The tension, then, at the load (H) must be the sum of (G) and (C) which is 5T - hence the 5:1 mechanical advantage.

If we look at the tensions in the lines, pulleys 1 and 2 endure 2T, or 2/5ths of the load. Pulley 3 must endure 4T, or 4/5ths of the load.
nice graphic!

I knew my logic was failing me somewhere, else how would there be a mechanical advantage, eh?

I suppose with pen an paper i MAY have figured it out eventually, but probably not as quickly as I might have had I tried googling it.

Obviously then, pulley 3 would be the point to place the stronger pulley if there were wide disparities in pulley strengths. All other things being equal, of course.

I noted in your explanation that the blue rope labeled (E) was attached to the anchor itself, not the pulley (2). A key point in your equation when considering pulley strengths (i believe?).

However, in your summary the sum of the tension forces felt by the pulleys totals 6/5ths the load. Can you explain this a little more for me?

majid_sabet

Aug 7, 2007, 5:15 AM
Post #17 of 77 (19089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasoy] Building mechanical advantage part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rasoy wrote:
Trenchdigger

Nice analysis and stymingersfink nice sharp eye.

Majid, you really need to stop calling these people here n00bs.

I call every one n00b in a good way and people should not take it too personal as I even call myself noob too.

trenchdigger

Aug 7, 2007, 5:41 AM
Post #18 of 77 (19079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
I noted in your explanation that the blue rope labeled (E) was attached to the anchor itself, not the pulley (2). A key point in your equation when considering pulley strengths (i believe?).

Yah, basically. Otherwise that pulley's attach point to the anchor would take 4T of load. Also, your average pulley doesn't have an attach point on both ends (though some do).

stymingersfink wrote:
However, in your summary the sum of the tension forces felt by the pulleys totals 6/5ths the load. Can you explain this a little more for me?
I don't think it really matters (it would actually be 8T rather than 6T, making the pulley totals 8/5ths of the load). I don't know without thinking about this more, but it may tell you something else useful about the system. Or it may not Tongue

majid_sabet

Aug 7, 2007, 5:45 AM
Post #19 of 77 (19073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:

Yah, basically. Otherwise that pulley's attach point to the anchor would take 4T of load. Also, your average pulley doesn't have an attach point on both ends (though some do).

stymingersfink wrote:
I don't think it really matters (it would actually be 8T rather than 6T, making the pulley totals 8/5ths of the load). I don't know without thinking about this more, but it may tell you something else useful about the system. Or it may not Tongue

Tranch

Draw me a 5:1 closed system

I hope you know how to do it without google.

reno

Aug 7, 2007, 6:02 AM
Post #20 of 77 (19066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

15.683:1.782 hauling ratio.

Freaking n00b OP.

el_layclimber

Aug 7, 2007, 6:13 AM
Post #21 of 77 (19057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
el_layclimber wrote:

When I was a boy, I was taught how to climb. We didn't have none of this sport climbin' or trad climbin', or bouldering with them pads. We climbed stuff. We just called it climbing. If it was tall we used a rope. If we wanted safety and fun, we used a top-rope.
We saw some guys rap-bolting and some guys aid climbing. They did little climbing. It looked slow and boring. We called that whack and dangle tom-foolery.
As for hauling and self-rescue, I would like to know more, but given the available hours I have I would rather spend them climbing. Yes, I will probably be in one of your accident posts one day, and someone will call you an asshole for making a direct quotation of the clueless reporter who wrote my traumatic brain injury up in the paper as "Safety thinamajigs that failed when he put them in a crevasse in the cliff face he was scaling."
Oh, I also totally jerked off all through high-school physics.

stymingersfink

Aug 7, 2007, 6:22 AM
Post #22 of 77 (19054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
There's gotta be something I'm missing here... at least, that's what my understanding of the law of conservation of energy is telling me. WTF?

Is the extra 3/5ths lost as inefficiency within the system? There's something wrong here... the pulley system, as a total, should only experience 5/5ths the mass of the load, plus perhaps a small percentage of efficiency lost as friction within the system. I'm finding it hard to believe that 3/5ths the load, or 180lbs of tension, is added due to inefficiency within the system.

Can I get a ruling from the judges please?

Rasoy? I know you've got someone who can provide an experiential/scientific answer for me in layman's terms. Care to enlighten me/us?

trenchdigger

Aug 7, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #23 of 77 (19018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
There's gotta be something I'm missing here... at least, that's what my understanding of the law of conservation of energy is telling me. WTF?
You're right in assuming the sum of the forces must be zero (otherwise this will be a dynamic system), but you're looking at it wrong. The SUM of the force on each pulley isn't the force we're calculating for each pulley - it's zero. So for example on pulley 1, the green rope exerts force T with each strand in the upward direction, and the blue rope exerts force 2T in the downward direction. The net force on that part of the system is zero.

stymingersfink wrote:
Is the extra 3/5ths lost as inefficiency within the system?
No. It's just an error in calculations. The sum of the loads that exist on the pulleys in the system tells you nothing as far as I can see.

Let's say you throw in a few change of direction pulleys. We're assuming they're frictionless, so they should have no impact on the end result of the system, but they'll jack up this ratio you're coming up with.

stymingersfink wrote:
There's something wrong here... the pulley system, as a total, should only experience 5/5ths the mass of the load, plus perhaps a small percentage of efficiency lost as friction within the system. I'm finding it hard to believe that 3/5ths the load, or 180lbs of tension, is added due to inefficiency within the system.
Again... there are no losses here to inefficiencies. We're assuming everything is frictionless. You're adding random numbers that aren't supposed to add up to anything. Hope that helps straighten it out...

trenchdigger

Aug 7, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #24 of 77 (18999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Tranch

Draw me a 5:1 closed system

I hope you know how to do it without google.

Major Sorbet

If we assume the pulleys are 100% efficient (or if we included a bunch of complicated friction and thermodynamic calculations), then this is a closed system.

Do you know the definition of a "closed system" without Googling it?

Did you possibly mean a simple 5:1 system?

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Aug 7, 2007, 4:14 PM)

sgauss

Aug 7, 2007, 4:49 PM
Post #25 of 77 (18977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent diagram, excellent explanation! Thanks!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook