Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

aerili

Aug 8, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #51 of 143 (8221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
reminiscence

An improvement in later performance due to rest or non-practice.

For sure rest is a real and direct influence on performance, and there have been both designed studies and case studies to support this. But in 'Ted's' case, two straight months of no climbing wouldn't bear out a climbing performance increase in and of itself in my opinion. That is a verrrry long rest and would allow for significant detraining to occur in skeletal muscle.

Additionally, bcombs, your running wouldn't have any transfer effect to specific muscle requirements for strength or power in climbing (except, possibly, for keeping certain muscle groups generally conditioned for muscular endurance [like your core, your legs, and your hip stabilizers]), and it probably aided you in the general aerobic requirements of any climbing you did.

This is a very interesting topic, with so many things to think about.

jt512

Aug 8, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #52 of 143 (8212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
jt512 wrote:
reminiscence

For sure rest is a real and direct influence on performance, and there have been both designed studies and case studies to support this. But in 'Ted's' case, two straight months of no climbing wouldn't bear out a climbing performance increase in and of itself in my opinion. That is a verrrry long rest and would allow for significant detraining to occur in skeletal muscle.

Additionally, bcombs, your running wouldn't have any transfer effect to specific muscle requirements for strength or power in climbing (except, possibly, for keeping certain muscle groups generally conditioned for muscular endurance [like your core, your legs, and your hip stabilizers]), and it probably aided you in the general aerobic requirements of any climbing you did.

In my personal experience, you can take several months off of climbing, and come back a technically better climber. The phenomenon appears not to be solely due to rest, but to the very avoidance of the activity (ie, "non-practice"). It's almost as if, during the time away from the activity, you lose the bad movement habits, and retain the good ones.

I have taken periods of climbing off long enough to lose considerable climbing fitness, yet am often able to do routes just as hard as when I was fitter, finding that my balance and movement on those routes has improved during the layoff. Combine that with losing 20 lbs I think could account for a 2-letter grade increase in performance during a layoff.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 8, 2007, 6:18 PM)

fluxus

Aug 8, 2007, 6:46 PM
Post #53 of 143 (8200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:

aeril if I have a criticism of your (frequently very good) posts its that you tend too look at climbing from only the phsiological point of view, not taking fully into account the kinesiological, cognitive and emotional aspects of climbing performance.

There are many times when a climber comes "off the couch" and does something amazing despite a loss of fitness. Those of us who have a few years under our belts have seen this, and done this many times.

I suspect the essential element in these performances is emotional. When one comes off the couch and tries something "hard" there is no performance pressure, infact climber's often allow themselves to relax and just climb in a way that they don't normally do, when they are fit and expect themselves to do well.

Also climber's tend to over emphasize the importance of fitness to begin with so we don't really understand the relationship between muscular fitness and performing at a specific level.

sorry for the thread jack.

aerili

Aug 8, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #54 of 143 (8167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluxus] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
aeril if I have a criticism of your (frequently very good) posts its that you tend too look at climbing from only the phsiological point of view, not taking fully into account the kinesiological, cognitive and emotional aspects of climbing performance.

You are right in that sports psychology is soooo not my forte. However, I’m not sure I understand your comment about the “kinesiological” aspect, especially since I offer information on this particular topic from a physiological/biomechanical standpoint, and these encompass the broadest aspects of kinesiology in most curriculums. Anyway, excellent to point out the psych side of things regardless. The athlete's mental state seems to be more in my mind when in a hands-on/live/right here, right now situation.

In reply to:
There are many times when a climber comes "off the couch" and does something amazing despite a loss of fitness. Those of us who have a few years under our belts have seen this, and done this many times.

I’ve seen this happen as well, but not consistently in either one person, one sport, or across the board. I’ve seen it occur in a couple runners (which is strange because I haven’t worked with many runners since endurance sports aren’t my specialty). Personal experience has proven the opposite effect to happen in my own physical pursuits over a time period of ~13 years total (when compared to what Jay said he experienced with time off)… Both in climbing and ballet and modern dance over the years, I almost invariably suffered performance decrease along with fitness decrease with time off. So, although I think you have a really good point in the mention of the cognitive and emotional aspects, I am not sure this occurs consistently enough to have statistical significance? (Not only in terms of x number of individuals, but in terms of repeated performance for a single individual.) Could these be outlier values? Are we not forgetting to take into account many other variables occuring when these “off the couch” experiences happen, all of them probably differing in actual occurrence, consistency and weight each time they happen?

Also, as Jay’s reference stated, there is no known or recommended value for time off in order to see performance improvement, so it’s hard to make any certain claim. Just food for thought...Darn it, I am adding to thread jack!

In reply to:
…we don't really understand the relationship between muscular fitness and performing at a specific level.

I don’t completely understand what you are saying here, either, but pm me to explain it (with regard to the probability that everyone else’s boredom variables are increasing and it's off topic-ness!). Smile
Attachments: EmoticonPirate.gif (0.50 KB)

jt512

Aug 8, 2007, 8:31 PM
Post #55 of 143 (8163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Also, as Jay’s reference stated, there is no known or recommended value for time off in order to see performance improvement, so it’s hard to make any certain claim.

As far as recommendations go, I think it is Horst who recommends taking every 10th week, plus one full month a year, off of climbing.

Most sports have on- and off-seasons, so athletes get periods of time off more-or-less automatically.

Jay

caughtinside

Aug 8, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #56 of 143 (8159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:
jt512 wrote:
reminiscence

In my personal experience, you can take several months off of climbing, and come back a technically better climber. The phenomenon appears not to be solely due to rest, but to the very avoidance of the activity (ie, "non-practice"). It's almost as if, during the time away from the activity, you lose the bad movement habits, and retain the good ones.

I have taken periods of climbing off long enough to lose considerable climbing fitness, yet am often able to do routes just as hard as when I was fitter, finding that my balance and movement on those routes has improved during the layoff. Combine that with losing 20 lbs I think could account for a 2-letter grade increase in performance during a layoff.

Jay

that's interesting that there is a term for that.

I was quite surprised when the same thing happened to me. After taking time off because of injury, I was definitely weaker/had less endurance, but I was able to send routes I couldn't before.

aerili

Aug 8, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #57 of 143 (8149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Most sports have on- and off-seasons, so athletes get periods of time off more-or-less automatically.

Agreed. Although in sports where the athletes are either professional and/or quite serious, this never means a full break in conditioning. There is always an off-season conditioning schedule and protocol; there just isn't any sport specific conditioning or play involved.

fluxus

Aug 8, 2007, 8:54 PM
Post #58 of 143 (8145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
So, although I think you have a really good point in the mention of the cognitive and emotional aspects, I am not sure this occurs consistently enough to have statistical significance?

Just to be clear, I was not claiming stat. sig. As far as I know this has never been looked at with any rigor. but I've seen it happen open enough to be curious about it, even to think there is something to be learned from these experiences. But yea, its a big unknown except to say that increase in fitness levels, probably don't play a role.

lemon_boy

Aug 10, 2007, 3:12 AM
Post #59 of 143 (8064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jay and aerili,

the point that i am trying to make, is that the boulderer is pretty much the only climber that isn't experiencing a change in system mass as they climb (although a sport climber clipping draws on a short route is pretty close). climbers doing long pitches end up with a fair amount of rope weight (and often rope drag), that can affect their climbing, i can't count the number of times i've seen somebody slowly get shut down as they pass the 100', 120' 150' mark on a pitch crying about the weight of the rope, despite the fact that the climbing wasn't very hard.

jay, you mention that the 11mm rope would only serve to make my balance worse, but the results didn't really support that. the overall result was improvement (ie sending). 8 lbs can be a lot of weight.

aerili, i do actually have a pretty good idea of the definitiion of sport specific exercise, and what i am trying to say is that lumping ALL of them into one category and making a total blanket statement about what will cause improvement and what will cause decline, is going to be difficult to prove. for example, adding a weight belt to a gymnast for a beam routine is probably going to be a pretty bad idea. on the other hand, offensive and defensive linemen performing blocking drills with sleds of different weights is substantially different.

the main difference is that when a gymnast performs a routine, he/she is performing at the same weight, on the same size balance beam, etc. similarly, a tennis player's racket, ball, etc weigh and perform the same. however, the offensive lineman's opponent varies in shape, size, weight, strength, speed, and skill. to prepare for this, altering sled weight can give a broader experience spectrum.

i think this is similar to the all-around climber who climbs in many different situations where weight and other factors are variable. it is kind of similar to saying that a climber who climbs mostly crimpy routes is going to have negative results if he climbs some sloper-dominant routes. you have to define improvement or loss. is it based on his crimp climbing, sloper climbing, or overall climbing. perhaps he will have a slight loss on crimpy ground, but he also will probably find improvement on slopers. how will this affect his overall performanc when he goes to a new area for the first time, etc?

jt512

Aug 10, 2007, 4:03 AM
Post #60 of 143 (8065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lemon_boy wrote:
jay, you mention that the 11mm rope would only serve to make my balance worse...

No. I said that it'll change your balance, which, according to aerili's information would likely be detrimental to performance.

In reply to:
...but the results didn't really support that.

The results following "a couple of runs" don't really say anything at all about the effect, if any, of those runs. It isn't enough evidence, and I doubt that two runs carrying a few pounds extra weight would have impacted your fitness more than two runs without a few pounds extra weight.

Jay

aerili

Aug 10, 2007, 6:24 AM
Post #61 of 143 (8042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lemon_boy wrote:
climbers doing long pitches end up with a fair amount of rope weight (and often rope drag), that can affect their climbing, i can't count the number of times i've seen somebody slowly get shut down as they pass the 100', 120' 150' mark on a pitch crying about the weight of the rope, despite the fact that the climbing wasn't very hard.

Then they should practice climbing more often with long stretches of shitty rope drag. Other kinds of weighted appartuses won't help you perform better with rope drag.

In reply to:
aerili, i do actually have a pretty good idea of the definitiion of sport specific exercise
Not that I can tell

In reply to:
and what i am trying to say is that lumping ALL of them into one category and making a total blanket statement about what will cause improvement and what will cause decline, is going to be difficult to prove. for example, adding a weight belt to a gymnast for a beam routine is probably going to be a pretty bad idea. on the other hand, offensive and defensive linemen performing blocking drills with sleds of different weights is substantially different.

What research have you done or read that says putting sleds on linebackers is such an effective protocol? Most of the so-called 'evidence' is purely anecdotal. Most of the studies I have read finds that resisted sprinting has virtually no performance effect when compared to the same training without. Keep in mind, I go to professional seminars about this stuff, dude. That is what I DO to stay CERTIFIED which kept me employed working with many different kinds of athletes for a long time. And YES, with this kind of topic I generally can make blanket statements about neuromuscular responses to altered sport specific training because they've studied this on many different types of athletes doing many various and unrelated types of sports movements. Go back and read my quote from Mel Siff about this very concept; he applies it quite broadly to all athletes. I doubt you can win against one of the greatest names and investigators into
this very issue.

In reply to:
the main difference is that when a gymnast performs a routine, he/she is performing at the same weight, on the same size balance beam, etc. similarly, a tennis player's racket, ball, etc weigh and perform the same. however, the offensive lineman's opponent varies in shape, size, weight, strength, speed, and skill. to prepare for this, altering sled weight can give a broader experience spectrum.

No. Every athlete's conditions are changing all the time with each performance no matter how stationary they appear to you; horizontal and angular velocities are constantly dynamic, changing directions and involving differing planes of movement with regard to players, balls, equipment, terrain, general environment, etc. To be truthful and objective, your arguments reinforce your lack of education on what you are trying to argue about.

Lemon boy, just train however you 'rationally' believe you should; your personal performance or beliefs about cause and effect have zero influence on my stance on this matter. I take my cues on training from the people in my industry who really know what they're talking about, have the credentials and application to back it up, and whose entire CAREERS are based on staying on top of this kind of thing. I really have nothing more to say because I'm starting to feel like a hamster on a wheel.

theclimbinglab

Aug 10, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #62 of 143 (8006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, interesting thread. I've been away for a while so apologies for not being involved in any discussions recently (fluxus)

I've never prescribed the use of weight belts as I believe that they could increase the risk of injury. For most of my clients there are other exercises that are more suitable and safe.

However one of my clients climbs on the British team and I wouldn't be too concerned. Why? Well she is aware to some degree about pushing the envelope of injury vs performance. Her movement skills are excellent and having a weighted COG would not make a massive difference to performance. More importantly I have anecdotal evidence from other climbers (and my own) that suggests that gains can be made. I know of several School Room users (Malc Smith for instance) who swear by their use. This is as much evidence as their is to movement skills improving climbingWink Common sense says that they do though.

From what I've read hypergravity - was introduced by BOSCO (1985b), and SANDS & co-workers (1996) corroborated his results. Their work indicated that special weighted clothes bring important benefits to power events specialists.................

Does anyone have any ACTUAL experience using added weight?

BOSCO, C. Adaptive response of human skeletal muscle to simulated hypergravity condition. Acta Physiol. Scando, 124(4): 507-13,1985b

SANDS, W.A. Hypergravity training: Women's track and field. J. Strength and Conditioning Research. 10(1):30-34, 1996

theclimbinglab

Aug 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #63 of 143 (8001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theclimbinglab] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also check these

http://www.springerlink.com/content/gp0g2316p5l87119/

http://nsca.allenpress.com/nscaonline/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1519%2F1533-4287(1996)010%3C0030:HTWSTA%3E2.3.CO%3B2

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/jgs/2004/00000052/00000005/art00023

sidepull

Aug 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #64 of 143 (7994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PepsiTwist] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PepsiTwist wrote:
All you have to do is provide specific studies, and it would also be helpful if you ahd some sort of letter to from the scientific community saying this is the held belief, otherwise I am sure there are plenty of experts who would disagree with you. A good case in point is global warming, people like to come out and say that the scientific community and experts agree to the causes of global warming, when that is just not the case. But people throw that out there, and the lay people believe it because the opposition isnt as vocal in having their side heard.

All in all, I really dont doubt your expertise and knowledge in this field, I just want to make sure that you are citing your sources and not making overarching generalizations in a complex science. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

In reply to:
Global average air temperature near the Earth's surface rose 0.74 ± 0.18 °C (1.33 ± 0.32 °F) during the twentieth century. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes, "most of the observed increase in globally averaged temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations,"[1] which leads to warming of the surface and lower atmosphere by increasing the greenhouse effect. Natural phenomena such as solar variation combined with volcanoes have probably had a small warming effect from pre-industrial times to 1950, but a small cooling effect since 1950.[2][3] These basic conclusions have been endorsed by at least 30 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is the only scientific society that officially rejects these conclusions.[4][5] A few individual scientists disagree with some of the main conclusions of the IPCC.[6]

Note that you can find the citations of all the scientific studies cited here by clicking the URL. In doing so, you will also find that you are an idiot.

aerili

Aug 10, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #65 of 143 (7983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theclimbinglab] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm…do you really believe anecdotal evidence is the same as peer-reviewed methodology? Do you believe that all cause and effect is as simple as “common sense” likes to tell us?

I had already read all the abstracts you provide in your second post, btw. Regarding all the references: your first two citations are fairly dated, especially on this particular subject. Of your last three cited references, none apply to this topic. I will tell you why:

#1 Didn’t even list the variables they studied and it doesn’t matter anyway because the weighted training they did consisted of GENERAL conditioning and plyometric exercises. It does not state they did any SPORT SPECIFIC track and field training in the vests whatsoever.

#2 Was about plyometrics as well—plyometric training has an established base of research behind it, and although it has specificity behind it for power development, it doesn’t make people better at their actual technique. In-game or in-performance jumping and running involve a lot more “things” going on. They also were not measuring these women's competition performance, they were measuring nothing more than straight up jumping power. This says nothing about whether they were improving their actual track and field performance.

#3 Was about geriatric women and their trouble with Activities of Daily Living—no reasonable relationship whatsoever to what we are talking about. It was published in a journal about geriatrics, not athletes.

With regard to vertical jump tests, the vertical jump test is not administered with respect to form and technique the way athletes truly perform jumping motions in sports like basketball, football, lacrosse, volleyball, etc. I know because I have used the Vertec device for testing athletes as described in citation #2.

One other clarification: activities like straightforward jumping and running are considered “low skill” movements, i.e. they aren’t terribly specific and the “language” used by nerves to tell the muscles how to perform them is relatively simple when compared to more complex motor skills. Climbing is full of very complex motor skills that are all 100% specific to performance, which is the topic at hand in this thread.

theclimbinglab

Aug 11, 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #66 of 143 (7969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad that you have read those citations. I posted references so that other people could read them. Despite what you are saying I believe they have relevece to this debate. Apologies # 3 was not the one I meant to post.

When did I say that anecdotal evidence was the same as peer review? I said that in the absence of research. I also said that this was my opinion. You can't prove this wrong until you set up the research project ad gather the data. Trust me this is very hard. I unsuccessfully tried to complete a Doctorate while working full time as there is NO funding for this kind of work.

There does seem to be SOME research to prove this kind of training works. As a professional in the field I have witnessed this, maybe other have too.

In reply to:
Climbing is full of very complex motor skills that are all 100% specific to performance, which is the topic at hand in this thread

Don't be so rude. I'm fully aware what this thread is about. Just ask the OP. I think he was asking about the effects of training with a weight vest. No?

antiqued

Aug 11, 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #67 of 143 (7968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
One other clarification: activities like straightforward jumping and running are considered “low skill” movements, i.e. they aren’t terribly specific and the “language” used by nerves to tell the muscles how to perform them is relatively simple when compared to more complex motor skills. Climbing is full of very complex motor skills that are all 100% specific to performance, which is the topic at hand in this thread.

Thread drift: I am really surprised that you call climbing highly complex. Running takes kids years to learn - typically they walk at 12 months after only a couple of months of trying, and then take 8 years or more to run with decent co-ordination. And Dr J and others have demonstrated jumping as something that I see to be a highly developed, complex skill in basketball. On the other hand, lots of 4-6yr olds can throw themselves up, down and around jungle gyms fluidly, using many of the climbing motions, not to mention climbing trees and plastic. Another example of what I think is highly complex would be overhand throwing. Just about every guy will 'throw like a girl' if required to use the unpracticed arm, and I've never heard of a professional baseball player (not pitcher, just position player) changing sides due to injury and learning this 'simple' skill with the other arm.

Is the jumping test you describe a simple two footed standing jump?

Anyway, I have no training in this, and need some education. I would have said that things like jumping on the run, broken field running, etc are highly complex skills. Where do you rate Triple axels, bowling, pool shooting, or whatever illustrations make sense to you? Pole Vaulting is pretty complex in my book. Many of the others deal with precision - isn't a pool stroke generally simplified as much as possible to encourage precision?

fluxus

Aug 11, 2007, 2:03 AM
Post #68 of 143 (7956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [antiqued] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

antiqued wrote:
Thread drift: I am really surprised that you call climbing highly complex. Running takes kids years to learn - typically they walk at 12 months after only a couple of months of trying, and then take 8 years or more to run with decent co-ordination. And Dr J and others have demonstrated jumping as something that I see to be a highly developed, complex skill in basketball. On the other hand, lots of 4-6yr olds can throw themselves up, down and around jungle gyms fluidly, using many of the climbing motions, not to mention climbing trees and plastic.

First, running is a repeated motion activity, every intro text to mechanics or kinesiology descrbes it as such. Now you can make it more complex by running down a steep talus feild so there are degrees, but running is still fairly simple. Second 4 -6 year olds do not climb jungle gyms and trees in the same manner we climb rocks!! FEW of the movements found in climbing are present in these activities. And certainly the cognitive skills necessary can't even be compared.

fargoan

Aug 11, 2007, 2:43 AM
Post #69 of 143 (7945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the repost, but this is fascinating:

aerili wrote:
If additional weight is used, all factors in terms of how you move will be altered, even if it is not to a large degree. But this still results in a negative transfer of skill--it programs your nervous system to direct your motor units (i.e. muscles involved) to contract in a pattern or method that allows them to move you and your adjusted motion in as efficient way as possible, thus setting up and reinforcing new muscle memories. The late, great Mel Siff, a true ICON in the exercise and sport sciences research field, puts it this way: by simulating your exercise (in this case you are apparently simulating outdoor, real world climbing while adding resistance in a mode you don't employ when climbing in actuality), "that simulation of any movement with significant resistance is inadvisable since it can confuse the neuromuscular programs which determine the specificity of the actual movement. If one tries to replicate the sporting movement too closely in the gym, there will usually be changes to the centre of mass, speed of movement, lines of pull, moments in inertia, and the centre of rotation that will alter the fine neuromuscular skills required for the sport and therefore may impede sporting performance."

I'm not sure if that was understandable, but I hope so. It does take a bit of knowledge about how the muscles and nervous system work together, as well as some basic understanding of physics as they apply to the human body (kinesiology).

To answer your second question (a strength training regimen for climbing without adding weight): there's no single answer as to how to best accomplish this, and it all depends on what kind of performance you're looking for too. One thing to understand, though, is the difference between GENERAL CONDITIONING for a sport (best time to get bigger and stronger, more flexible, etc.) and SPECIFIC CONDITIONING for a sport (in other words, work on your technique).

The only place you should "add weight" is when doing general weight lifting--here you can add as much weight as safely possible to strengthen whatever you want to strengthen because weight lifting exercises have no transfer effect on sport skill. (In other words, hamstring curls won't make your heel hooking technique better, although they might make it easier because you're stronger, but it shouldn't negatively impact your technique because the exercise is so fundamentally removed from the neuromuscular patterns required for heel hooking.) These exercises do condition your body to withstand demands placed on the joints in any situation, including climbing. Campusing, hangboard, traversing, etc. can also be considered general conditioning since they are supplementary training to assist in developing the motor skills and conditioning the fitness capacities encountered in climbing AT A GENERAL LEVEL.

These qualities are then developed into sports specific strength, speed, power, endurance etc by the actual sport itself. You can now incorporate sport specific "drills" while climbing, which many people talk about on this forum; this may include things like laps or burns on a route, downclimbing (although again, I think this mainly makes you better at downclimbing, although it may assist in training to improve hand and forearm lactate threshold), repeated tackling of certain kinds of climbing (i.e. OW, liebacking, etc.) and so on. If you needed to climb with lots of additional weight (like a pack for instance), then I would incorporate training/climbing with a pack under the most specific conditions possible (because then you get true transfer of skill), not during one's general conditioning.

If you have more specific questions, then try pm'ing me.

This whole topic is fascinating for me, because I truly enjoy reading about sport-specific physiology and most-effectively becoming a better climber. What is particularly interesting is that I haven't seen jt512, aerilli, or fluxus once suggest that weighted fingerboard training or campusing has appreciable application to improving climbing through increasing hand/finger strength. This is despite such recommendations in both Performance Rock Climbing (pp. 109-114) and the Self-Coached Climber (pg. 161, 163), two books for which I have tremendous respect.

I fully understand your arguments regarding climbing movement and neuromuscular firing patterns for improving movement. However, there must be something to say for "dumb" hand strength and power? Do you all believe that there is no value in developing this in a non-movement oriented way? (As in, hangboard training or campus-board training.) If so, how does one develop such strength in an efficient, but "sport-specific way"? Very curious for your responses, thanks for writing.

Jonathan

(This post was edited by fargoan on Aug 11, 2007, 3:03 AM)

fargoan

Aug 11, 2007, 2:46 AM
Post #70 of 143 (7943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fargoan] training with a weighted vest? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Additionally, can anyone with a background in gymnastics or ballet chime in with their experiences? Just curious, because these are two sports that are extensively steeped in training that also have very complex motor skills and strength demands.

Thanks!

(edited for clarity)

(This post was edited by fargoan on Aug 11, 2007, 3:04 AM)

curt

Aug 11, 2007, 3:12 AM
Post #71 of 143 (7936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fargoan wrote:
Additionally, can anyone with a background in gymnastics or ballet chime in? Just curious, because these are two sports that are extensively steeped in training that also have very complex motor skills and strength demands.

Thanks!

I'm going nowhere near the "weighted vest" debate, but I can give you some input here. I think the primary carry-over from gymnastic training to rockclimbing relates to what Gill would call "kinesthetic awareness" and becoming comfortable with dynamic movement. Gymnastics does absolutely nothing (except perhaps for the floor exercise event) to develop balance over one's feet and none of the events build any type of finger strength. I suspect that (as opposed to say, weight training) gymnastics also develops some useful muscles for climbing--since the gymnast, like the climber, is primarily involved with pushing and pulling his own mass around.

Curt

lemon_boy

Aug 11, 2007, 3:18 AM
Post #72 of 143 (7933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili,

so, it sounds like you are saying that locking off a hold, dyno-ing, and each of the climbing movements are sport specific.

and hangboard training, campusing, and performing certain climbing movements with different weight configurations fall under general conditioning.

so, if a climber climbs primarily crimpy routes, and spends a few days climbing sloper dominated routes, where does that fit in? in the overall climbing performance scheme, it seems like it would fit in as sport specific, but relative to his/her primary climbing it would seem that it might fall under general conditioning. again, i think this is an example of where the actual GOAL determines, to some extent, whether a movement is sport specific or other.

re: the gymnasts performance. i know that the angles, positioning, linear/rotational speeds and accelerations, rotational inertia, etc are all changing. but, her body mass isn't. that is why i wouldn't advocate adding weight in this case. you keep bashing me on this by stating that i don't know anything about sport specifity, but you haven't pointed out anything that i didn't already know. i'm not trying to brag or be confrontational, but i don't think you are listening to and addressing what i am really saying (or trying to say).

that is great that you read the latest journals and attend the conferences, which often have a wealth of useful info. however, i also know from a fair amount of first hand, as well as second hand experience, that these aren't always unbiased, or the amount of ACTUAL USABLE data is not enough to extrapolate a blanket conclusion. i still stand by my statement that performing an entire, unbiased or uncompromised, significant research project in this area is pretty much impossible. there just isn't enough of the population with exact same variables to really bring it together.

regarding your statement about lifestyle diseases, i assume an example would be smoking. with smoking, there is an enormous population that does, and an enormous population that doesn't. with numbers this big, assumptions are made that the distributions of variables are similar. i don't really think you can make this assumption when performing complex research on 100 athletes.

i know that you are going to log back on and point out that i am an idiot and that my training methods make me an inferior climber, etc, but i think that there is a lot of testimonial out there (ie rockprodigy's documentation, my own documentation, malcom smith, etc) that for SOME people, non-specific training might provide more benefit. i love fluxus's book, and i have adhered to it as well as possible for the last year and a half, but to be honest with you, i am climbing 2 to 4 letter grades below the levels i was consistently climbing when i was doing all of my training on the hangboard. i DO feel that i have learned a lot about movement (especially initiating movement from different centers, GOLD! also the CIR info), but i think that i am going to spend 2008 using a mix of the 2 training methods to see how that turns out.

fluxus (i think you mentioned this?) that running is repetitive (and therefore not sport specific? not sure if you said this or not, just asking). i would compare this to cycling. from a general view it would seem that it might not be sport specific(?) (waiting for aerili to beat me for this one too). could it be argued that that there is enough complexity and change in a pedal stroke (chaning angle ankle to pedal more with lower leg or higher leg, change in cadence, change in upward pulling amounts, etc) that are all implemented to respond to terrain changes, to consider it sport specific?

i guess my overall question to aerili (back on the wheel!) is, that some of the sports that have a lot of money at stake, and that are likely to invest in determining these questions, seem to use added weight or resistance as a tool (football, cycling, boxing). do they not put any effort into this sort of research, etc? i do respect your opinions on this, even if my tone is harsh and my questioning hard-headed. have you tested any of these questions on your own climbing?

lemon_boy

Aug 11, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #73 of 143 (7930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jay (and others),

i went back and looked through my journal about the trail rope route. here is the info,

i had attempted the route 19 times over approx 4 months (i know, i know beating a dead horse).

i used the trail line 4 times on a saturday. returned the following day, tried it once with the trail line and was pretty much there. rested, dropped the line and sent it.

i agree with your assesment that the number of laps with the trail line would not be sufficient to really result in much improved power, or power endurance. i also agree that it would potentially result in changes in movements, for better or worse. however, the end result was finally getting the route, which to me was an overall improvement. perhaps it helped mentally, in terms of confidence?

just curious about what people's opinion on how the increased performance occurred.

valeberga

Aug 11, 2007, 5:51 AM
Post #74 of 143 (7916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG so am I reading in this thread that weight doesn't matter for climbing at all?! Take that, gravity! I'm glad that the lab coats could clear up for us that F does not equal m*a, and/or that resistance training does not increase peak muscle force.

I bet Twight could have climbed a lot better if he hadn't been able to lat pull 300 lbs, eh? What's that quote again... "Imagine the climber who can pull 300 in training but only needs to pull 200 while climbing. He will be able to pull 200 all day long because 200 can't overtax his physical capacity."

It's training. As in weighted strength training, followed by unweighted technique training. If you have no strength, you have nothing to train.

The coats have done way too much spraying in this thread. How about we hear from some more climbers?

(This post was edited by valeberga on Aug 11, 2007, 6:07 AM)

jt512

Aug 11, 2007, 6:59 AM
Post #75 of 143 (8097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fargoan wrote:
What is particularly interesting is that I haven't seen jt512, aerilli, or fluxus once suggest that weighted fingerboard training or campusing has appreciable application to improving climbing through increasing hand/finger strength. This is despite such recommendations in both Performance Rock Climbing (pp. 109-114) and the Self-Coached Climber (pg. 161, 163), two books for which I have tremendous respect.

I think that adding weight to deadhang exercises is different from adding weight while actually climbing in that deadhangs don't involve climbing movement. Therefore, by adding weight, one should be able to increase strength without risk of inculcating poor movement habits. That's a logical deduction, not an empirical conclusion, which is why I didn't mention it. Fluxus is a co-author of The Self-Coached Climber, so I suppose he either agrees, unless that was Dan's chapter. Douglas?

I can't imagine being able to do weighted campusing without ending up in the orthopedic surgeon's office the next day, but maybe that's just me.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook