Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 5:12 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4636 views)
Shortcut

"Technical" Approach Shoe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a buddy who wants to do a little climbing, but is pretty cheap and does not want to buy approach shoes AND technical rock climbing shoes. He'd rather get a pair of shoes that does both as well as is practical. I know that some approach shoes can have nice technical characteristics. I have an old pair of 5.10 Guide Almighties which I use, for example, which handle both jobs pretty nicely, but you can no longer get those. Any suggestions?

shoo

Sep 14, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 34 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tdsharkey] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't buy the approach shoes and get a decent pair of beginner rock shoes. Search "beginner shoes" on the forum for more info. A technical approach shoe isn't really needed for the vast majority of popular climbing areas.

shimanilami

Sep 14, 2007, 5:45 PM
Post #3 of 34 (4605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My approach shoes are a pair of flip-flops. And if I need more than that, I wear running shoes.

IMO technical approach shoes are really only necessary if your scrambling around alpine-style or aid climbing.

Tell your friend to get some decent climbing shoes.

tahamsh

Sep 14, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check your local gym... they often have old rental shoes for sale in the $15-20 range. They may require a little Lysol but should do the trick until he gets more serious about climbing.

kevinheiss

Sep 14, 2007, 5:50 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally agree with Shoo.
And if your friend is so cheap that he doesn't want to buy or rent a pair of climbing shoes, than he probably shouldn't be going rock climbing (not to be mean).

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4581 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your input. I think I'll suggest to him the 5.10 Guide Tennie...

8flood8

Sep 14, 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, but that's not what we told you to do

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #8 of 34 (4569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:

And no one answered the question I asked.

krusher4

Sep 14, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 34 (4553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, rent some 'rock' shoes 10-15 bones and wear pretty much any shoe for approach.

EPiCJAMES

Sep 14, 2007, 6:52 PM
Post #10 of 34 (4540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tdsharkey wrote:
8flood8 wrote:

And no one answered the question I asked.

the answer you wanted to hear would be the "incorrect" answer. instead, they gave you a better alternative. here's ANOTHER, buy a pair of used shoes from the gym, then go down to payless and buy a cheap pair of walking/running shoes fo 20 bucks. after everything, he'd have 2 pairs of shoes, for about 30-40 bucks. now go buy your APPROACH shoes.

reg

Sep 14, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've climbed 60' of 5.6 with 30 lb pack in my
la sportiva exum ridge with FirXion rubber soles - excellent shoes - sometimes u can find them here for more then half off!

shoo

Sep 14, 2007, 7:27 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's because the question you asked does not lead to the ideal situation. Approach shoes are, in your situation, a complete waste of money. They are almost worthless for any real rock climbing (in comparison to any actual rock shoe) and aren't really necessary for an actual approach. They just won't cut it.

Then again, it's your (friend's) money. Feel free to waste it as you please.

Partner baja_java

Sep 14, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just bought a pair of La Sportiva Barr Trail

http://www.explore64.com/...nning-Shoe-Mens.html

they're trail runners, technically. but they do have the very sticky FriXion rubber, and a flat spot at the big toe area for decent edging, and are ridiculously light and nimble. did a 4-pitch 5.6 in them recently, and felt very good in them. better than Guide Tennies, but that's just my opinion. never cared much for dot rubber. got mine at the Bishop shop on sale. you can probably get them at closed-out price, if you look around. i've also tried on the La Sportiva Exum Ridge. also a very nimble shoe that you can do easy stuff in. neither i'd use for climbing harder stuff though

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Reg, if I remember correctly, a about five or more years ago Nike had the Exum Ridge name. As far as I know, it is the only time that Nike has gone into anything like a climbing or mountaineering shoe. The Nike version had the reputation for falling apart kind of quickly. I'm hearing the same thing about the 5.10 Guide Tennie, but it looks like a good all-purpose shoe. I'll be sure to point the Exum Ridge out to him as well..

As an aside, the purpose of the shoes in question is for a trip to the Tetons next summer. The wearer is looking at climbing a number of class 3 or 4 summits (Teewinot Mountain, Buck Mountain..) and do some sport climbs, likely top roped, at easier grades (probably 5.8 and under, perhaps much under..) some of which have a fairly long approach with a fair amount of scrambling. He may do a fairly small amount of gym climbing to prepare (we are in Florida..) but I don't think it will become a hobby..It may be just me, but flip-flops seem inadequate to the task..

So, again, thanks Reg for answering the question I asked, and not answering the question you think I should have asked.

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 7:39 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:
i just bought a pair of La Sportiva Barr Trail

Huh, interesting...With that more lugged bottom, did they seem to suffer much when smearing? I guess it would make them better on muddy terrain though..

shoo

Sep 14, 2007, 7:53 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tdsharkey wrote:
As an aside, the purpose of the shoes in question is for a trip to the Tetons next summer. The wearer is looking at climbing a number of class 3 or 4 summits (Teewinot Mountain, Buck Mountain..) and do some sport climbs, likely top roped, at easier grades (probably 5.8 and under, perhaps much under..) some of which have a fairly long approach with a fair amount of scrambling. He may do a fairly small amount of gym climbing to prepare (we are in Florida..) but I don't think it will become a hobby..It may be just me, but flip-flops seem inadequate to the task..

That's a bit of a different question than the one you originally asked. If the primary purpose of the shoe is class 3 and 4 ascents, then by all means go with the approach shoes. However, this is not technical rock climbing and therefore not what you asked to start.

Also, for the record, "sport climb" refers to leading a bolted route, not top roping.

Partner baja_java

Sep 14, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Barr Trail and Exum Ridge have similar bottoms, both treaded like trail runners. neither forefoots are flat, but good enough to smear with, at least they felt good enough for me on lead. more key for me is the little flat spot around the big toe area for edging. not all approach shoes have that

another option would be to resole an old pair of running shoes with Stealth or whatever rubber of choice. Positive Resoles at JTree is willing to slap on a half sole like that for you, for example. i was getting ready to do that with a pair of runners that was slightly on the tight side. might still do that at some point

runners are light by design. plus, when people see you climbing in running shoes, they just naturally think you're badass. and that's what's important!!

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoo, I asked for a suggestions on approach shoes which have some ability to do technical rock climbs. It seemed like a pretty straight forward question to me that did not require me to post an complete trip itinerary to get a straight forward answer. Other people didn't seem to have a problem doing that.

reg

Sep 14, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tdsharkey wrote:
As an aside, the purpose of the shoes in question is for a trip to the Tetons next summer. The wearer is looking at climbing a number of class 3 or 4 summits (Teewinot Mountain, Buck Mountain..)

great shoe for that, as long as the weather holds. on an attempt of Grays Peak in early september we were turned back by snow that kept gettin deeper by the minute - had all the right gear and supplies but the shoes, damit!

tdsharkey wrote:
So, again, thanks Reg for answering the question I asked, and not answering the question you think I should have asked.

ur welcome on the frist part - 2nd: wish i could take credit for that!
p.s. - chk out baja java's responce

(This post was edited by reg on Sep 14, 2007, 8:27 PM)

tdsharkey

Sep 14, 2007, 8:37 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:

great shoe for that, as long as the weather holds. on an attempt of Grays Peak in early september we were turned back by snow that kept gettin deeper by the minute - had all the right gear and supplies but the shoes, damit!

Haha..I appreciate your concern, but this trip is =next= summer in July, as opposed to the last few days of what passes for summer in September in the Tetons. I know how you feel though. Two years ago practically to this day I was in Death Canyon in the Tetons and had an early snow storm rudely dump on us. We weren't set up for that and got the hell out!

sidepull

Sep 14, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tdsharkey wrote:
Shoo, I asked for a suggestions on approach shoes which have some ability to do technical rock climbs. It seemed like a pretty straight forward question to me that did not require me to post an complete trip itinerary to get a straight forward answer. Other people didn't seem to have a problem doing that.

snarky.

Shoo is right to point out the difference between your OP and what you're now telling us. If you had asked "what is a good shoe for the class 3/4 scrambling needed in the Tetons to get to the class 5 stuff?" then maybe you would have received "better" answers. But you posed a poorly worded question, expected people to read your mind, and then responded with a know it all attitude. Assholes like you don't need advice, they want to be told what they already think they know (and sadly, they never realize that they're assholes). Good luck.

wolfski

Sep 16, 2007, 9:58 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

where do you climb that a beginner needs approach shoes anyways?

lithiummetalman

Sep 16, 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #23 of 34 (4239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This might sound unusual, but how about a pair of water moccasins? Can pick up a pair from wal-mart for less than $5.

I've been using the same pair (with reinforced toe) for the last two years for general walking, technical approaches, and light climbing. They have worked wonderfully for smearing, light jamming and smedging

One thing I like about them is that they breathe better & dry out faster than running shoes, plus the fact they're light and have a very low profile. (great for clipping to the harness on a climb)

just my two cents

cheers

vegastradguy

Sep 17, 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #24 of 34 (4217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] "Technical" Approach Shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Acopa Lowriders- meant as a street shoe, but with a smooth sole on the bottom made of Acopa sticky rubber. My buddy is currently using them as his approach shoe, and while he doesnt climb in them, he feels very comfortable in 4th class- much more so than other shoes he's tried.

personally, i'm pretty sure i could climb 5.9/5.10 in them if sized right. my only concern is the lack of any padding/eva.

Acopa has another model coming out this spring (the name escapes me at the moment) which is essentially the Lowrider with an EVA sole.

deltav

Sep 17, 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #25 of 34 (4190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I am guiding, I use the La Sportiva Cirque Pro. I can hike in them, do 3rd & 4th class plus climb 5.7 with a pack on. All around great shoe.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook