RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

aireq

Oct 14, 2002, 6:07 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

dynamic climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

From what I understand "dynamic moves" or "dynamic climbing" is when you are constantly moving. In contrast, "static climbing" is moving between distinct "static" positions.

So how do you do it? Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises which help with climbing dynamicly?

repseki

Oct 14, 2002, 6:13 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

dynamic climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well you "do it" by basically jumping from one hold to another, as opposed to having at a foot on a hold at all times.

nailzz

Oct 14, 2002, 6:17 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Methinks you are a bit confused about 'dynamic climbing' or 'dynamic moves' or even yet 'dynos.' Here's the definition from this very website:

Dyno - n. abbreviation for "dynamic movement", a move that requires some use of momentum. (antonym: static movement) 2. (vb.) to perform a dyno.

So, the key difference between the two is the use of momentum. In dyno-ing, you are sort of 'jumping' to the next hold, if that makes sense. With a static movement, you are simply reaching to the next hold while the rest of your body remains basically in control. It's kind of hard to explain. If you have a gym, go there and ask somebody to demonstrate. It'll all make sense then.

ratstar

Oct 14, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hense the name dyno. When you dyno you 'jump' up the rock.

aireq

Oct 14, 2002, 6:31 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No I know what a dyno is, but that's not "dynamic climbing". Well at least not how I see it. Dynoing is when both hands and both feet leave the wall and you jump to the next hold. Dynamic climbing is when you just don't stop. As one hand is moving for the next hold the other foot is too, all the while your body is movign to keep you in balance. Static climbing is just that, "static". You move to one position and stop, and to the next and stop etc.. etc.. etc.

It's obviously not something you can just show someone how to do. And I think most of it just comes from experience, and knowing before hand the best way to position your hands and feet.

eric

monkeyarm

Oct 14, 2002, 6:53 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically any dyno is where you need to do soemthing more than simply reaching for the next hold. This encompasses everything from a slight bend in the knee to "bounce" to the next hold that is slightly out of reach to taking all 4 points of contact off the wall to reach the next hold.

But waht dyno is most commonly used to describe is when all 4 points loose contact as you jump to the next hold.

jgill

Oct 15, 2002, 3:24 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nailzz has it right. That's essentially what I had in mind when I introduced dynamic moves here in America, back in the 1950s. E.g., I did a "swinging lieback" that involved swinging up and reaching for a hold, using momentum. Later, this was referred to as "deadpointing". There are lots of different types of dynamic moves. On the other hand, the "dynamic climbing" you refer to, I would call "continuous motion", which may occur with or without momentum.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook