Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rockclimbchar

Oct 13, 2007, 3:26 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4446 views)
Shortcut

Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Birdsboro)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I realize there is a sign at the quarry but does it show many of the climbs? It seems outdated and vague. Is there any up-to-date guide available somewhere or from someone? Or, at least, the most current/ accurate one? PM me if needed. Also, if someone has a topo or something that they could email me that would be great. Just PM me and I will pass on a good email address to send me it. Any info. is appreciated. Thanks! Also, I heard there is a bolt-fund for Birdsboro. Who is coordinating this? ...someone I could contact to get more info. about what is being done there (new routes, replacing bolts/ anchors, whatever...). If I end up climbing there and find it is worth the trip to go back then I wouldn't mind contributing. Sport climbing is my favorite. The rock looks nice in the photos. I have gotten completely mixed opinions regarding this place and would like to check it out and form my own opinion. Seems worth a day trip.
Thanks again. Wink

gblauer

Oct 15, 2007, 7:45 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockclimbchar] Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are more than 61 sport climbs, rated from 5.4 to 5.14. We have some multipitch climbs, slabs and everything in between. The rock can be chossy in places, but, most of the classics are really clean and the rock solid.

RC.Com needs an update, but, it's not that out of date. I do have the latest route listing and will scan and upload ASAP.

There are several volunteers that maintain the climbs, headed up by Ted Coffelt. If you would like to make a contribution to the bolt fund, please PM me and I will send you Ted's address.

thatoneshortkid

Nov 3, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockclimbchar] Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that copying and pasting all of the info from this site works the best. If you look at the photos, there is an old one that is a picture of a sign that gives a pretty good topo. Although the website is missing a bunch of new routes on the lower level slabs.

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 6, 2007, 4:26 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EDIT: the link below is the most up-to-date

(This post was edited by cliffhanger9 on May 9, 2008, 5:24 PM)

photoguy190

Dec 6, 2007, 5:55 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cliffhanger9] Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed here a bunch is the Lower Wall legal or is that in the shooting range/reservoir. Just don't want us to lose access, but i guess its already limited with the bridges out.

kfc6936

Dec 6, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

do you now if you need some sort of pass to get back here cuz a little while ago some cops were at the shooting range and asked us to not let ant on the big wall cuz there were shooting and if we had a permit to climb

gblauer

Dec 6, 2007, 2:38 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kfc6936] Guides or Topo for Birdsboro? Also re: bolt-fund? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:
do you now if you need some sort of pass to get back here cuz a little while ago some cops were at the shooting range and asked us to not let ant on the big wall cuz there were shooting and if we had a permit to climb

There was a misunderstanding between the police and climbers (Ted Coffelt was present) a few weeks ago. The police do use the area for target practice and when they do, you have to vacate the big wall and lower climbing areas.

A climbing pass, however, is not required. The Birdsboro police are aware that climbing passes are not required, but, individual officers may not be entirely aware of the situation at the quarry.

As such, be polite, keep your cool and calmly suggest that they call the station to get a debrief on Birdsboro access. By all means, please be courteous, calm and non confrontational. Acting in a way other than that could jeopordize your personal freedom and our access to the climbing area.

Here is a link to the latest route map:

http://www.readingrocks.com/Downloads/birdsboro.pdf

(This post was edited by gblauer on Dec 6, 2007, 2:46 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook