Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Dec 11, 2007, 1:40 AM
Post #1 of 113 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is an interesting discussion in the Injuries and Accidents forum, under the title "'Regulating' Safety Outside, about when to intervene when you observe other climbers doing something that might be dangerous. The consensus is, well, that there's no consensus. It depends on the situation and your philosophy in such matters.

I thought it might be interesting to present some scenarios and see which ones people think they should react to, and how they would react. So, here are 10 scenarios involving at least questionable safety practices. Each one of these scenarios really occurred, and I'll post how I reacted to them after enough people have responded that my response won't bias the results. In responding, use the quote function wisely. ;-)

Scenario 1.
A middle-aged climber is belaying a younger climber on a 5.9 sport route, which the leader is finding challenging, though she doesn't appear to be over her head. From the belayer's manner, you're essentially certain that he's a trad climber with many years of climbing experience, but he's belaying sitting down, has a large amount of slack in the rope, constantly holds the ropes together in front of his face with both hands wrapped around both ropes, and feeds slack by completely letting go with his brake hand and repositioning it on the rope.

What if anything, do you do?

Scenario 2.
Exactly the same scenario as above, except that the belayer is a famous climber from the '70s, with numerous first ascents of classic routes in Yosemite and elsewhere.

Scenario 3.

Again the same scenario, but the belayer and climber are both obviously beginners.

Scenario 4.
A male and a female in their mid-teens, either a brother and sister, boyfriend and girlfriend, or possibly both, are "climbing" at an obscure local sport crag. They have real harnesses, but are wearing tennis shoes, and are using a hardware store rope. As you approach the crag, the male climber has just completed a rappel.

Scenario 5.
You've just arrived at your local sport crag and, while hiking past a formation, you overhear someone in his teens, apparently teaching several others to belay, say with a tone of dismay in his voice, "At the gym, they teach this convoluted method of belaying where you always keep your brake hand on the rope."

Scenario 6.
Same scenario as above, but instead the "teacher" says, "Back clipping isn't really that bad."

Scenario 7.
A group of three arrives at the sport wall you're climbing. One of the group -- apparently the most experienced -- leads up to the 4th bolt of a sport climb, clips in direct, and calls "Off belay." He then girth hitches a nylon runner to the bolt, unties, feeds his rope directly through the runner, and raps down. He then instructs one his partners to tie-in to the rope to toprope the route.

Scenario 8.
Part 1.
At your local sport crag two male climbers, one with his hair in a pony tail, who are wearing full military camoflage uniforms, including berets and infantry boots, but with no military insignia, are working a 5.11 route. The leader is struggling and hanging, and can't get past the first bolt. In spite of the fact that he's on a 5.11, and there are numerous easier routes in the area, your impression is that it is his first time climbing. Though the belayer's back is to you, he appears to be haveing an inordinate amount of trouble maintaining control of the belay.

Part 2.
Assume you decide to investigate. As you approach the climber, you find that although he has an ATC on his harness, he is belaying with the rope only passed through a carabiner on his belay loop for friction.

Part 3.
Assume you suggest that the climber return to the ground, and he does. You ask why the belayer wasn't using his ATC. He responds that they couldn't figure out how to use it.

Scenario 9.
A group of four teenage males arrives at the sport crag, and one procedes to attempt to lead a tricky, sandbagged 5.11a. The leader is having trouble getting to the second bolt. He takes several whippers, including a couple of ground falls with rope stretch. Your impression is that they are 5.11 gym climbers, and that this is their very first outdoor route.

Scenario 10.
A strong European guy in his mid-20s has just lowered off a 5.10c sport route that he led with ease, and has cleaned all the draws, except for those on the anchors. The route goes up one wall of a dihdreal, traverses, and then goes up the other wall of the dihedral. His girlfriend has tied in and has started up the route on TR. As she gets to the start of the traverse, she is clearly struggling, and becomes frightened. She probably has a 50/50 chance of falling here, and if she does, she'll take a dangerous pendulum swing into the other wall of the dihedral.

(This post was edited by jt512 on Dec 11, 2007, 1:41 AM)

coastal_climber

Dec 11, 2007, 2:01 AM
Post #2 of 113 (5499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would inform the climbers of the errors. BUT it's up to them whether or not to take my advice. Ultimately, its their decision, not mine.

>Cam

dr_feelgood

Dec 11, 2007, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 113 (5481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Steal their sandwiches while they are not looking. Befriend, console and seduce their girlfriends during their time of mourning. Take a dump in their climbing shoes. Teach them the munter hitch.

shoo

Dec 11, 2007, 2:28 AM
Post #4 of 113 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These solutions are all if I'm feeling generous. It also helps if you have some form of legit certification (AMGA or the like) to show qualification.

Scenario 1
Nothing except possibly ask if the belayer is okay. While it may be clear that the person is in fact physically fine, it will let him know that he doesn't appear to be paying enough attention.

Scenario 2
Same as above.

Scenario 3
Definitely as if the belayer is okay. When he asks why, you can tell him his belay looks a little off.

Scenario 4
Hardware store rope = get them the hell off the crag immediately. Approach them nicely, tell them it's clear they are beginners. Offer to assist, maybe even using your own gear if you're super nice, but ensure they don't climb without proper instruction ever again.

Scenario 5
Wait until the leader of the pack is away from the others and politely enter into discussion with him. Smile lots and laugh a little so his friends don't know what's going to on, but inform him of why he is wrong.\

Scenario 6
Same as above

Scenario 7
Same as above

Scenario 8.1
If it doesn't look like he's doing anything unsafe, nothing.

Scenario 8.2
Instruct him on top rope, inform them that they need to have proper instruction and certainly shouldn't be leading, make sure they don't climb that day.

Scenario 8.3
Same as above

Scenario 9
Leave them be. They'll figure it out.

Scenario 10
Nothing. Anything you do will make things worse at this point.

endercore

Dec 11, 2007, 2:32 AM
Post #5 of 113 (5444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go to another crag

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 11, 2007, 2:50 AM
Post #6 of 113 (5422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay - I'll play.....

I wouldn't do anything for the first 6 scenarios, except make a "n00bs" comment to my partner about the sitting down/hands off belayer in #3.

Scenario Seven I would go up and tell them the sling tr anchor is mank and explain how the rope against runner will saw through. Now, unless Jay has some reasoning as to why I'm wrong, I'd be pretty adamant, to the point of "you're going to rip and could die if you do it" and have no problem explaining the leader is clueless. So - please do explain asap if that's the case, because I sure don't want to embarrass myself. If they have been open to the criticism, I would explain a decent anchor set up. If not, I would make a snide "asshole" remark and walk away.

On Scenario 8, part 1 - I'd notice them but unless I happened to be walking right past them, would probably not notice the problem mentioned in part 2.

In Part 2, after he says he doesn't know about the ATC, I say - "I can help you out" and if he's willing, I'll thread my belay device behind his belay, pull up close, make sure the climbers not about to fall, and then tell him he can let go.

Show him how to work an ATC after the climber comes off, see that they understand, and then get the hell away from them, probably after making a snide remark about getting competent guidance.

In Part 3, I wouldn't have suggested the climber come down.

In Scenario 9, I would probably stop and watch, thanking my lucky stars that I am a trad climber and don't get on shit where I will probably fall unprotected at 15 feet up.

Scenario 10 - Think the guy's a fucking asshole, not protecting his partner. The truth, I'd probably not be able to help them. Perhaps she can climb back to a secure stance, and clip in to some natural protection if she's carrying a sling and biner, use it as a directional and then lower off. Perhaps a superman climber happens to appear at the clifftop and can lower and set a few directionals for her.

This is the sort of crap where I hold to my belief that we are supposed to be self-reliant. We are supposed to understand the risks of the situations we put ourselves in. We aren't supposed to be going out and putting blind faith in others. N00bs need to get enough knowledge to be able to vet their partner's experience level and read basic climbing situations as quickly as possible.

If my partner had led a route and started to pull the directions for my TR, I would know to tell him to put them back in. Actually, I would never climb with someone who would do something so stupid.... And I knew how to avoid those types VERY early on.

There's no reason someone who has climbed at least once before should not have the ability to find out how to protect themselves and make sure they are going with competent partners.

caughtinside

Dec 11, 2007, 2:59 AM
Post #7 of 113 (5403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1-10.

Bellow, "YER GONNA DIE!!!"

dr_feelgood

Dec 11, 2007, 3:12 AM
Post #8 of 113 (5393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. You're remarkably stupid. How is it you were the dominant chromosome?

billcoe_

Dec 11, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #9 of 113 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it hold or don't it?

joshy8200

Dec 11, 2007, 3:24 AM
Post #10 of 113 (5371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Scenario 1.

...pray that they don't fall before I have a chance to say something. After climber is safely on the ground...beat said trad climber with their own hex or tricam.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 2.

Say something and when the climber is safely on the ground...hang said 70s climber with his painter's pants and beat him with his EBs.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 3.

Try to as safely as possible intervene, get climber to the ground safely and give them some info on safe belaying techniques.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 4.

If one has already rapped on the rope...I'd take a look at the rope see if it was damaged. Maybe say something about how that rope isn't designed for this use...then tell them the number for 911 (leave my cell phone with them is needed).

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 5.

Politely (really...) find a time that I could interject and ask the 'instructor' why he thinks this is a good idea. Tell him why it isn't...possibly give him the number for 911 also.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 6.

Probably wouldn't say much here...maybe try to start a conversation in passing if we were close by about how it is pretty important not to back clip because of the possiblity of unclipping.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 7.

Hmm...what's a few less sport climbers in the world? At least they're not top-roping directly through the anchors!

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 8.
Part 1.

Hmm...this may be a bit of a low blow, but I would just carry on without saying anything. At least they're not at the top of the cliff trundling rocks (just read the passages in Climbing...feel bad for all involved with that). But I'm living in Fayetteville, NC and see a lot of macho military chumps at the wall and around town. I don't really have a lot of sympathy for some of those guys.

jt512 wrote:
Part 2.

I might actually give them some beta if they seem willing to actually follow advice.

jt512 wrote:
Part 3.

Definitely help out if they respond with sincerity that they'd like help.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 9.

Not because of the type of climbers they are. But depending on their attitudes...maybe start up a conversation with them. See if they want to work some other routes in the area.

jt512 wrote:
Scenario 10.

Probably not much that can be done here. If she's immediatetly going to fall. Maybe just help out if there's any carnage.

(This post was edited by joshy8200 on Dec 11, 2007, 3:35 AM)

sky7high

Post #11 of 113 (5366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, here goes:

Scenario 1:
(Chances are, all the gear he has is borrowed, and he doesn't have too much experience after all.)
If he looks like an experienced guy, then I'll ask him why is he belaying on such a poor manner. I have nothing against a sitting belayer, but the hands off the rope is a big no-no for me, so after I ask him about this, I'll make sure he knows what the proper technique is, and make sure the younger climber hears us. It's better to be a little scared than a little dead.

Scenario 2
Pretty much the same, although I'll pay more attention to the response, and elaborate from there, if it's something along the lines of "Back in the day I belayed like this and no one got killed so I don't care" then I'll probably tell this to the leader he/she has a right to know that the belayer is being negligent.

Scenario 3
I'll ask if he/she knows exactly how to belay, and how he learned. Then I'll proceed to explain why it is wrong and how to correct it. All of this in a humble manner. Chances are, they'll appreciate it a lot.

Scenario 4
Approach them immediately, say they can't be climbing on that and why, and invite them over to climb with us, if they and my partner(s) are OK with it, and tell them a little more about the sport, maybe invite them climbing at the gym or at a local crag, as they're obviously very interested in climbing. Possibly suggest a climbing course

Scenario 5
Get over there with my entire party, and ask him about where he learned to belay, then, if we DONT get blown off, then I would teach him the correct method of doing do. If we DO get blown off, then we would at least make sure the "students" get the point.
This is, IMO, the most difficult scenario, and the above is a pretty ideal solution.

Scenario 6
Same as above

BTW, in 5 and 6, scaring the students would be a good idea, might not be the best solution, but it'll keep them off the wall, or at least they'll be too freaked out to climb high.

Scenario 7
Go over immediately and tell them why not, most likely they don't know better.

Scenario 8
Part 1: go there and investigate
Part 2: Instruct him why he is wrong, ask for permission, and lower the other dude myself
Part 3: After he's down, I'll tell them to go to the gym or to get a climbing course, they clearly don't know how to climb. Maybe invite them over with us.

Scenario 9
Open the bag of chips, a coke, and watch the show.
Maybe cheer him on a bit. Then flame the gym rats on this forum.
Laugh

Scenario 10
Nothing really. Can't think of anything to save her. Maybe she learns why some people have that funny-looking thing they call a helmet.

As a final note, I would probably bring my parner along on most of the scenarios above for support, if two people tell someone he/she is wrong, then he/she is more likely to think about it.

Now, I have another scenario for you, it actually happened, although nothing went wrong.

Scenario 11
A young couple comes to a local crag, but there's no one around but you and your partner. The male, who is clearly more experienced, ties in and prepares to lead a very easy 5.6 route. He tells his girlfriend, who is clearly a total n00b, to "remember what I taught you", and she puts him, or tries to, on belay. She is very freaked out, and really doesn't know how to belay, but her boyfriend trusts her and starts climbing

What, if anything, would you do?

shockabuku

Post #12 of 113 (5364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think in most cases that aren't immediately threatening the best way to start off anything is to engage the other party in discussion and ask about what they're doing, then go from there.

Scenario 1.
If I'm nearby I might ask if he thinks he has an inordinate amount of slack out and maybe how he responds to a fall (that I can't tell if he can even see). Then hope for the best and maybe walk away if his response isn't encouraging.

Scenario 2.
Ask about his belay style and point out how it differs from what I believe to be current ideas on belaying.

Scenario 3.State the possible outcome of that belaying style and suggest better alternatives. If they aren't well received - walk away.

Scenario 4.
Ask if they're climbing on that rope. Hopefully this will elicit some discussion about the properties of different kind of ropes and go from there.

Scenario 5.
Become an uninvited member of the audience and suggest better technique or pass on depending on the group vibe.

Scenario 6.
Is back clipping that bad there? I don't see too many newbies trying to lead overhanging terrain where it's most disconcerting. If it is really a significant issue I think the same as above.

Scenario 7.
This calls for definite intervention. Perhaps in the manner of suggesting that I can saw through the runner with their rope in less than five minutes for a six pack bet.

Scenario 8.
Part 1.
I'm hard pressed to walk away from this group but, I might engage them in conversation to try to determine what they actually know through discussion of the local area, what grade climb they're on (do they know, do they know anything about grades) and how they're doing. Let the conversation evolve from there.

Part 2.
ASk if it isn't hard to control the belay that way. Work from there with his answer.

Part 3.
Show them how to use it, suggest they try top-roping and explain the difference between belaying a leader and a top-roper in the hope that they might back off a little. Maybe suggest they observe some other people belaying.

Scenario 9.
"Damn dude, aren't you worried you're going to get hurt doing that?" Maybe suggest stick clipping. Depending on the reaction, leave.

Scenario 10.
Point out the possibility of the pendulum. Not much else to do. Is she hot?

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Dec 11, 2007, 3:33 AM)

scott0708

Dec 11, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #13 of 113 (5356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool Question. I have been in a few situations like the ones you’ve described. I guess I’ll answer each individually:

“Scenario 1.
A middle-aged climber is belaying a younger climber on a 5.9 sport route, which the leader is finding challenging, though she doesn't appear to be over her head. From the belayer's manner, you're essentially certain that he's a trad climber with many years of climbing experience, but he's belaying sitting down, has a large amount of slack in the rope, constantly holds the ropes together in front of his face with both hands wrapped around both ropes, and feeds slack by completely letting go with his brake hand and repositioning it on the rope.”

I’d find it tough to do anything here. Though it’s obviously a dangerous setup, I’d probably be afraid that me talking/arguing with him would only serve to distract him further. Also, I wouldn’t feel that comfortable rebuking an older, presumably more experienced climber, since I’m only 22.

”Scenario 2.
Exactly the same scenario as above, except that the belayer is a famous climber from the '70s, with numerous first ascents of classic routes in Yosemite and elsewhere.”

Same as above.

Scenario 3.

Again the same scenario, but the belayer and climber are both obviously beginners.

Here, I would be much more likely to step in, though I’d be very careful not to make the situation worse by getting in a heated argument while the belay was still on.

Scenario 4.
A male and a female in their mid-teens, either a brother and sister, boyfriend and girlfriend, or possibly both, are "climbing" at an obscure local sport crag. They have real harnesses, but are wearing tennis shoes, and are using a hardware store rope. As you approach the crag, the male climber has just completed a rappel.

I would try to be friendly, ask them if they’d climbed here (or anywhere) before. If I was feeling generous and they seemed nice, I would probably offer to let them toprope on some routes that I was doing. If they insisted on using their own rope for leading, I would strongly advise against it and talk to them about climbing rope, specifically its dynamic properties.

Scenario 5.
You've just arrived at your local sport crag and, while hiking past a formation, you overhear someone in his teens, apparently teaching several others to belay, say with a tone of dismay in his voice, "At the gym, they teach this convoluted method of belaying where you always keep your brake hand on the rope."

If there are some climbs in the vicinity that I wanted to climb, I would mind my own business while keeping an eye on them. If they were actually belaying with unsafe techniques, I would try to start friendly conversation and give them some tips on better belay technique.

Scenario 6.
Same scenario as above, but instead the "teacher" says, "Back clipping isn't really that bad."

Same, and it I actually saw someone backclip, I would advise them on the potential consequences the right way to clip. Again, I’d try to be friendly.

Scenario 7.
A group of three arrives at the sport wall you're climbing. One of the group -- apparently the most experienced -- leads up to the 4th bolt of a sport climb, clips in direct, and calls "Off belay." He then girth hitches a nylon runner to the bolt, unties, feeds his rope directly through the runner, and raps down. He then instructs one his partners to tie-in to the rope to toprope the route.

This is probably the most immediately threatening of the situations given, since the result will almost certainly be a groundfall. I would definitely step in and explain how the sling WILL FAIL if the climber falls, or when they begin to lower through it. Most likely, the climber about to top-rope the route would listen. If they seemed receptive and nice, I would offer to lead the route and set up a proper TR setup for them.

Scenario 8.
Part 1.
At your local sport crag two male climbers, one with his hair in a pony tail, who are wearing full military camoflage uniforms, including berets and infantry boots, but with no military insignia, are working a 5.11 route. The leader is struggling and hanging, and can't get past the first bolt. In spite of the fact that he's on a 5.11, and there are numerous easier routes in the area, your impression is that it is his first time climbing. Though the belayer's back is to you, he appears to be haveing an inordinate amount of trouble maintaining control of the belay.

Tricky one, since these guys seem weird. Military uniform, but with a ponytail? I guess I would attempt to start friendly conversation, and maybe suggest alternate routes.

Part 2.
Assume you decide to investigate. As you approach the climber, you find that although he has an ATC on his harness, he is belaying with the rope only passed through a carabiner on his belay loop for friction.

I would tell the climber to downclimb.

Part 3.
Assume you suggest that the climber return to the ground, and he does. You ask why the belayer wasn't using his ATC. He responds that they couldn't figure out how to use it.

If they seem receptive, and I was feeling generous, I would probably take the time to instruct them. If I was feeling less generous, I would give them info on the nearest gym or guide service and suggest they go there and take a class.

Scenario 9.
A group of four teenage males arrives at the sport crag, and one procedes to attempt to lead a tricky, sandbagged 5.11a. The leader is having trouble getting to the second bolt. He takes several whippers, including a couple of ground falls with rope stretch. Your impression is that they are 5.11 gym climbers, and that this is their very first outdoor route.

I would try to start friendly conversation, and maybe recommend some easier routes in the area. Again, if I had the time and was feeling generous, I might offer to ropegun so they could TR, where they might feel more comfortable.

Scenario 10.
A strong European guy in his mid-20s has just lowered off a 5.10c sport route that he led with ease, and has cleaned all the draws, except for those on the anchors. The route goes up one wall of a dihdreal, traverses, and then goes up the other wall of the dihedral. His girlfriend has tied in and has started up the route on TR. As she gets to the start of the traverse, she is clearly struggling, and becomes frightened. She probably has a 50/50 chance of falling here, and if she does, she'll take a dangerous pendulum swing into the other wall of the dihedral.

There doesn’t seem like much could be done here, since she’s already up there. If I did yell something about the potential danger, it would probably only serve to make her more nervous/likely to fall. Maybe after the climb, assuming she makes it down without getting too badly hurt, I would try to start a conversation with the guy and, if he seemed receptive, give him tips on how to better protect the second on TR (ie leaving some draws in place).

All of these questions are pretty tough, and would largely depend on how friendly and receptive the climbers in question were. For the most part, if they are jerks and not listening, I wouldn’t be super-persistent. I guess the only exception would be the “Certain Death” situations, like #4 and #7. In those situations, I would be very persistent and emphasize the serious consequences. I tend to believe that, if I come across as level-headed and experienced, the noobs’ self-preservation instinct would kick-in and recognize the good advice.
I work in a climbing gym, so I have had experience dealing with beginners and teaching proper techniques. Obviously, in my gym, it’s very easy to step in when someone is doing something unsafe, since I’m in a position of authority as an employee. Outside, people might not be as receptive, since they view the climbing area as public, and so I wouldn’t have any real authority.
Anyways, I love climbing, and I really want others to enjoy it as well. Hence my willingness to help others by leading/setting up TRs, teaching them the basics, etc. There is a bit of self-interest on my part as well, since accidents or deaths at the crag would not have a great effect on access or general attitude towards climbers.

Thanks for the question,
-Scott

caughtinside

Dec 11, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #14 of 113 (5354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:

Do it hold or don't it?

That's an interesting photo.

I think the belayer makes the catch. His left hand is clamped on the wrong side, but I think between that and the angle of the right hand, he makes the catch. Hopefully the belayer pulls back that right hand farther.

I can't fault the belayer too much based just on the photo, from the cam in the wall, he was probably getting ready to feed slack for the leader to clip. Looks like the climber just came off.

sky7high

Dec 11, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #15 of 113 (5352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, pretty good post Jay!

boymeetsrock

Dec 11, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #16 of 113 (5347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow... The LovePirate

edit to add: didn't see the serious responses before my post went up... This is a great post!!

(This post was edited by boymeetsrock on Dec 11, 2007, 3:44 AM)

jt512

Dec 11, 2007, 3:39 AM
Post #17 of 113 (5334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sky7high] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sky7high wrote:

Scenario 9 [Gymbies who think they can climb 5.11 their first day out]
Open the bag of chips, a coke, and watch the show.
Maybe cheer him on a bit. Then flame the gym rats on this forum.
Laugh

Substitute "Red Bull" for "Coke" and "Cliff Bar" for "chips," and that's exactly what I did, including the report to rc.com.

I'll hold off on commenting on the others until more "votes" are in.

In reply to:
Now, I have another scenario for you, it actually happened, although nothing went wrong.

Scenario 11
A young couple comes to a local crag, but there's no one around but you and your partner. The male, who is clearly more experienced, ties in and prepares to lead a very easy 5.6 route. He tells his girlfriend, who is clearly a total n00b, to "remember what I taught you", and she puts him, or tries to, on belay. She is very freaked out, and really doesn't know how to belay, but her boyfriend trusts her and starts climbing

What, if anything, would you do?

My response would range from nothing to fully taking over the belay, depending on how experienced the leader was. Is he an expert who understands that he's essentially free soloing the route? If so, there's no reason to do anything. At the other extreme, if there's a serious a chance he could fall and she wouldn't catch him, I'd at least back up the belayer, and possibly just take over the belay myself.

Jay

ja1484

Dec 11, 2007, 3:43 AM
Post #18 of 113 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Scenario 1.
A middle-aged climber is belaying a younger climber on a 5.9 sport route, which the leader is finding challenging, though she doesn't appear to be over her head. From the belayer's manner, you're essentially certain that he's a trad climber with many years of climbing experience, but he's belaying sitting down, has a large amount of slack in the rope, constantly holds the ropes together in front of his face with both hands wrapped around both ropes, and feeds slack by completely letting go with his brake hand and repositioning it on the rope.

Trad bit's a decent troll.

What I do: Be sure to climb with someone else.

In reply to:
Scenario 2.
Exactly the same scenario as above, except that the belayer is a famous climber from the '70s, with numerous first ascents of classic routes in Yosemite and elsewhere.

Get a photo, then be sure to climb with someone else.

In reply to:
Scenario 3.

Avoid getting into an impromptu belay lesson for which you will not be paid, or being involved in a rescue, by moving to a different section of the crag and climbing with someone else.

In reply to:
Scenario 4.

Note to them that they might die, then leave without explanation.

In reply to:
Scenario 5.

Walk by and make a very hearable comment about this "convoluted form of climbing where you attach yourself to a rope".

In reply to:
Scenario 6.

Attempt to start an argument by claiming that forward clipping isn't that good but is, at best, average.

In reply to:
Scenario 7.

Point out to the leader of group 6 that this method is plainly superior to his as it involves no clipping whatsoever. Suggest he do this at every bolt.

Go back to your campsite, drink beer, and listen to the police scanner.

In reply to:
Scenario 8.
Part 1.

Wait until they say something to you then loudly say "Where are you? I can't see anyone?" and look around confused. They've never heard this one before.

In reply to:
Part 2.

Tell him you're relieved that he's not using a GriGri, because they instill unsafe belay habits.

In reply to:
Part 3.

Show him every in and out of ATC operation, and then claim absolute ignorance regarding how to use the bolts.

In reply to:
Scenario 9.

Give them the beta, and be sure to tell them you can climb the blue route.

In reply to:
Scenario 10.

Clearly a trick question. European sporties don't deign to climb 5.10c, even if ropegunning. You have to be at least a .13b toprope to climb with European sporties.

joshy8200

Dec 11, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #19 of 113 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
[Scenario 11

Been there done that when I first took a girlfriend out climbing...

I'm getting married to her in April. I climbed with some confidence in her belay, but basically followed the 'leader never falls' mentality for awhile with her.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 11, 2007, 3:51 AM
Post #20 of 113 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Wow. You're remarkably stupid. How is it you were the dominant chromosome?

Oh, really? Please elaborate, by all means!

shockabuku

Dec 11, 2007, 3:59 AM
Post #21 of 113 (5277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JT,

I think it would be interesting to wait until blueeyedclimber comments.

areyoumydude

Dec 11, 2007, 4:35 AM
Post #22 of 113 (5222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scenario #1

Hop on the bus, Gus

Scenario #2

Make a new plan, Stan

Scenario #3

Get off of the hill, Bill

Scenario #4

Repeat

kricir

Dec 11, 2007, 4:39 AM
Post #23 of 113 (5210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scenario 11 sounds like any given day of work for a climbing guide, I wouldn't do anything.

Besides that, only #4 and 7 seem really dangerous enough to justify physical action, all others would probably be solved just by saying something about what they could be doing better.

this thread reminds me of some similar situations that I've seen myself. If you want to hear 3 more tales off n00bnicity check this one out.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=1756808;#1756808

(This post was edited by kricir on Dec 11, 2007, 4:43 AM)

jt512

Dec 11, 2007, 4:41 AM
Post #24 of 113 (5204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kricir] Ten climbing scenarios: When do you intervene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kricir wrote:
The one about the army want-a-bies is the gyms problem, not yours.

All scenarios occurred at crags, not in the gym.

Jay

kricir

Dec 11, 2007, 4:45 AM
Post #25 of 113 (5193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm, you right, where the hell did I get that from?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook