Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jgross

Dec 4, 2005, 7:33 PM
Post #26 of 33 (16793 views)
Shortcut

Re: Home Gym Database v.1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Name: John Gross
Length/Width/Height: 8' high, 15 ' in perimeter
Total Climbing Area: 120 square feet
# of T-Nuts: about 400
# of Climbing Holds: about 125 (but always buying more!)
Types of Holds: Metolius, Cheap Holds, Oddity, Teknik, ...
Favorite Holds: Oddity skull, Cheap Holds hula hoop
Building Materials Used: exterior plywood on 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 & 4x4 girts

Construction Methods:

40 steel anchors (mostly 3/8" x 6" long, some 3/4" x 8" long!) in holes drilled into foundation/masonry with a hammer drill. Each vertical girt is secured by 4 anchors. The plywood panels are then screwed onto the girts. The T-nuts are hammered in at roughly 6" spacing, but deliberately not exactly in a grid.

Approximate Cost to Build: close to $CDN 2000 including holds, the structural engineer I consulted, and the contractor I hired to drill the holes for the anchors (both of whom were good investments)
Future Expansions: no plans...
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': I did not know about screwing in T-nuts; handful of mine have fallen out, some of them on panels that are not removable!

Oh, and.....: The back side of the wall overlooks my street hockey court; I laid down some rubber matting that fits into that. The fall zone on the side part is 2 tons of sand.

I mixed some sand (I had plenty at hand!) into regular exterior paint, and got an OK texture.

I was worried that with all the panels being mounted vertically the wall might get boring quickly. No such problem, the back corner, and the corners around the chimney keep it very interesting.
Here is a photo of the wall:

shurafa

Oct 11, 2007, 1:16 AM
Post #27 of 33 (7566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chizelz] Home Gym Database v.1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: Alan Shurafa
Length/Width/Height: Its an odd shape with two main section. One part is H8'xW9'XL10' and the other is H8'XW12'XL4'
Total Climbing Area: About 1000 Cubic Feet
# of T-Nuts: Around 3000
# of Climbing Holds: Approximately 1200 with several boxes of spare holds.
Types of Holds: Metolius, Nicros, e-grips, Franklin, Vodoo, Three Ball Climbing
Favorite Holds: Nicro's
Building Materials Used: Wood and Plywood
Construction Methods: For the second wall I decided to make a frame that mirrors the frame of the house. It is much sturdier and easier to work with. I also make a cat walk to fix spinners.
Approximate Cost to Build: First part of wall including tools about 1500. Second part just wood 400. Holds over $5000 and always buying more.
Future Expansions: I am thinking about building one in the attic. The ceiling is really low but there are some amazing angles that could be really really fun. (This post actually inspired me to go up there and take a look at it today!!!)
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': Not framing the first part of the wall better. Not nearly enough holds at the start.Smaller more manageable roof sections to make removing spinners easier.
Oh, and.....: Here are some photos of wall. http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157602361776443/

(This post was edited by shurafa on Oct 11, 2007, 1:24 AM)

mnanao

Nov 6, 2007, 5:50 AM
Post #28 of 33 (7449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: max n
Length/Width/Height: 12' at base, 12' tall vertical, 50 degree and 20 degree overhangs
Total Climbing Area: ~190 ft^2
# of T-Nuts: I aimed for a density of ~75 per 4x8 sheet
# of Climbing Holds: not enough
Types of Holds:so ill, revolution, voodoo, stoneage, metolius, nicros
Favorite Holds: so ill, revolution, voodoo, stoneage
Building Materials Used: Wood
Construction Methods: The loft we rent has huge beams (9x13") which made things easier
Approximate Cost to Build: I dont want to think about it
Future Expansions: NONE
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': shoulda found a cheap and good source of T-nuts way earlier. Also shoulda used Google Sketchup earlier in the process (I used it for the rightmost panel to aid in figuring out how to cut that plywood sheet down, and for the angles of the supports).

for scale: washing machine at left, old metolius pad on left, cordless deluxe in middle.

northfacejmb

Nov 7, 2007, 5:54 AM
Post #29 of 33 (7416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: the Bunker
Length/Width/Height: 11ft at its highest, 12ft wide,
Total Climbing Area: about 224 ft^2
# of T-Nuts: 600-1500
# of Climbing Holds: 170+
Types of Holds: California, revolution, synrock, nicros, metolius, and my own
Favorite Holds: synrock, metolius and nycros
Building Materials Used: 4x4s, 2x4s and 3/4 ply
Approximate Cost to Build: don't even know where to begin
Future Expansions: I'll add some more roof, and whatever else I feel like
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': Nope, I pretty much built it perfect, though it would be nice to have a 30 degree wall

(This post was edited by northfacejmb on Nov 7, 2007, 6:04 AM)

rhonius

Nov 15, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #30 of 33 (7325 views)
Shortcut

Home Gym Database v.1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: The Berlin Wall (my last name is Berlin)
Length/Width/Height: 8 x 11.5 x 10
Total Climbing Area: 270 sq ft
# of T-Nuts: 1200 - 1500
# of Climbing Holds: ~ 200 just started collecting them
Types of Holds: Woodies, 3-Ball, Metilous, Nicros
Favorite Holds: Nicros Alien Head
Building Materials Used: wood, plywood
Construction Methods: Freestanding with front removable panels
Approximate Cost to Build: ~400 without holds and T-nuts
Future Expansions: I think im good for a bit
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': Shoulda remembered to add the thickness of the plywood to my measurements. Not a big deal but made assembly more difficult.

The coolest thing about my wall is that it is freestanding and the panels are removable from the front. I was forced to to this since a don't have access to the back of the wall and since im renting I might be moving in the near future and wanted to make sure I could get the wall out. In order to do this I framed each panel separately and the bolted the panel to the freestanding frame using long bolts and the plethora of T-nuts I had. Then I drilled a hole in the plywood so that I could access the bolt. The only problem is that to be truly modular the features that I built could only be on a single panel.

http://picasaweb.google.com/...bingWallConstruction

(This post was edited by rhonius on Nov 16, 2007, 12:07 AM)

xxkilo

Jan 22, 2008, 2:45 PM
Post #31 of 33 (7010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: The wall (very original)
Length/Width/Height: The height is 3.8m. the back side is 2m wide. The vertical face is 3.3m wide. The overhang is 1.5m wide.
Total Climbing Area: about 32m sq.
# of T-Nuts: about 1000
# of Climbing Holds: so far only about 120, looking to get more. Anyone have beta on Italian manufacturers? Smile. Shipping from the US is just not feasable. I might be going back to Canada for the summer so I might see how many holds I can cram into my suitcase.
Types of Holds: Sintroc and some woodies that I made from a dead cherry tree. Like I said, hoping to get lots more. Anyone know Armaduk brand holds. It's a supplier that is in Italy.
Favorite Holds: Can't say yet. Sintroc holds are pretty generic and all have a positive part on them.
Building Materials Used: garage walls: stone and cement (a nightmare to anchor to.. why cant they use wood like north america Tongue ) Frame: 5cm steel beams. Surface: they call it multi-strata which is pretty much plywood 18mm (3/4 inch). I find it a bit soft though. If I tighten the holds too tight, the tnuts start to pull though the plywood.
Construction Methods: The wall was designed to be self supporting so that it did not have to be anchored into the garage wall or put any load onto the ceiling. The frame is designed like an irregular dome/cube made of 5cm square steel bars(hollow). Intermmediate bars are at irregular intervals (some 1m apart, others 87cm, etc) I wasn't too specific when I showed th weilder the design who had no idea what a climbing wall was. Holes were drilled into the steel and the plywood was bolted on (8mm bolts)where possible due to the irregular sizes of plywood sheets here and my irregular frame pattern. I had to attach some edges together with spare boards because there was no steel in some parts to bolt the edge of the plywood to. I left 50cm from the actual garage wall so that I could walk behind and work. This proved to be a good idea as I put in the t-nuts after the plywood was attached.
Approximate Cost to Build: steel frame: €800. plywood: 7sheets of 252cm x 187cm: €530. t-nuts: 3000pz: €150. Holds: €530. Other misc nuts, bolts, screws, etc.: €100. Grand total: way too much (around €2000+)
Future Expansions: yes. definately. Probably a wide, slightly overhanging section. The 45 degree section is only 1.5m wide so it doesn't provide a lot of room for lateral moves, pretty much just straight up.
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': Many!
First, I blame unconventional building methods here (in terms of north american standards). Learning to work with steel and stone and attaching wood to it was my greatest headache.
I should have taken into account the size of plywood sheets and adjusted the mesures of the frame accordingly.
I shoulda made the overhanging section wider instead of just 1.5m.
If I could have I would have built the frame in wood and not steel.
Oh, and.....: try to build everything yourself or with a friend if possible. Hired wielders, masons, etc. will take any chance to rape your wallet.

check out the pictures:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/...are&conn_speed=1

neslo2003

Feb 4, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #32 of 33 (6886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: Skyler Olsen
Length/Width/Height:~15'/9'/8.75'
Total Climbing Area: ~200sq.ft
# of T-Nuts: ~400
# of Climbing Holds: ~350
Types of Holds: Project Holds, Voodoo
Favorite Holds:Project Holds
Building Materials Used: 3/4" plywood, 2x4's
Construction Methods: entire design was done with Rhinoceros modeling software then built using specs
Approximate Cost to Build: $1000 w/o holds/$2000 w/ holds
Future Expansions: adding another 500 sq.ft. in a couple weeks
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': the construction went pretty smooth due to the time spent on the modeling.

Here is the entire build

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/neslorelyks

(This post was edited by neslo2003 on Apr 16, 2008, 6:23 PM)

Partner betaben

Feb 13, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #33 of 33 (6766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Name: The Arch of Doom (okay we don't really call it that, but so many others had great names)
Length/Width/Height:~12'-6"/4'-0"/8'-6"
Total Climbing Area: ~90.33sq.ft
# of T-Nuts: ~380
# of Climbing Holds: ~170 (just built it, need to get more)
Types of Holds: Metoulius, homemade
Favorite Holds:Metoulius/nicros/petrogrips
Building Materials Used: 3/4" plywood, 2x6's
Construction Methods: Standard 2x6 framing, built into panels. Panels joined by 1/4" custom cut steel gusset plates for easy takedown. since it is in an Apartment it is free standing and has to be easily moved.

Future Expansions: none
Cost: not including holds, roughly $275.00
Shoulda'/Woulda'/Coulda': This is the 3Rd home wall I have built and I also helped build 1 commercial wall, so there were no hiccups on this little one. I would like to add a crack system up one side and down the other, but haven't been able to get to that yet

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook