Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

petsfed

Feb 15, 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #51 of 85 (6272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:

d.

That picture is why its been April of 2007 at most of my friends' houses for the last 9 months.

If I'd owned the calendar, it'd probably be the same at my house too.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Feb 15, 2008, 10:22 PM)

petsfed

Feb 15, 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #52 of 85 (6265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gimikspitter] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As to Joe himself, he's got so much "psych" (to use the lingo) that he comes off kinda like a golden retriever. He's fully stoked (wicked stoked, some might say) all the time and its a little frightening.

Couldn't care less about how hard he climbs, although he always seems overshadowed by Dave Graham, who also seems waaaay too excited that people are talking to him. In Dosage IV, DG reminded me of that crazy hobo downtown who will talk to you for hours if you make eye contact. Birds of a feather I suppose.

unrooted

Feb 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #53 of 85 (6261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why anyone would smack talk joe kinder is beyond me. He does a lot of work for the Access Fund, is a model for professionalism in professional climbing and looks like he has fun when he climbs. So what if he wears different clothes than you, not everyone can be a stinky boulderite. Joe climbs at our local crags sometimes, he is super supportive of us weak climbers and always super considerate.

I wish all you fucks that think you're such a better person would take up a different sport, go play baseball shit talking is not only encouraged but will get you a spot on the television!

clausti

Feb 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #54 of 85 (6233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sterlingjim wrote:

BTW, I don't care for Joe's public self either but I do like him.

now, i tried to keep my comments directed at what i can honestly say about- magazine appearance, but i think it's both unrealistic and unfair to ask people to judge public figures (and joe kinder is, to the climbing community) by the "private personality" when the "public persona" is the only thing that the "public" will see, and, indeed, is how the public figure is selling themselves to us.

joe is not an elected official, he is a sponsored athlete. his "job" is dual- to climb hard and advance the sport and to represent his companies to the climbing public. the climbing public is going to "buy" joe, and the products that put their logos on his picture, based on that public persona. so no, i don't think its valid to defend defamatory remarks about a celebrity, when the opinions were formed in public, with "but he's so nice in person!"

In reply to:
I'm just not going to cast judgment on anyone from what I read in magazines with content I don't care for or fully trust.

really? now I know only that your sn is sterlingjim, and nothing specifically about your role in the company, but sterling sponsors joe kinder, according to his web site. how does corporate feel that his comments about girls in booty shorts jive with their women's weekends and commitment to women in climbing?if obviously the guys in charge like his public persona well enough to support him.

and as far as magazines go- you guys put your ads in them, you support the magazines. the manufacturers and the rags are symbiotic in the industry aren't they? so are you telling me that sterling rope wants me to ignore what the magazines say and just look at the ads? or is jim telling me that he doesnt buy the mags either, because more and better content can be found on the web?

In reply to:
I honestly can't say I've read any degrading comments made by Joe. Guess I'd have to read the mags more to do that but that's probably not going to happen.

the articles that my mind goes back to when thinking of joe kinder were on two different occasions in urban climber. the MOST offensive was when he was asked what was "hot in climbing right now" and he spent two paragraphs talking about specific items of women's clothing, i.e, the booty shorts comment. i think references to his "skrillaz" was that same article.

know that i do not mean to attack you, personally. my main point is what i said first- that i dont think it's fair to defend a celeb's public persona with "but they're so nice in private," while acknowledging that the projected image is distasteful. you can't have it both ways.

disclaimer: i think some of the comments in this thread were over the top too- but i thought sterlingjim's method of defending him was unfair (and biased, re:sponsorship.) hopefully, jim will PM me if he has any interest at all in continuing this conversation, which i doubt, having said his piece and me mine, and HOPEFULLY THIS THREAD WILL DIE.

sterlingjim

Feb 16, 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #55 of 85 (6211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
disclaimer: i think some of the comments in this thread were over the top too- but i thought sterlingjim's method of defending him was unfair (and biased, re:sponsorship.) hopefully, jim will PM me if he has any interest at all in continuing this conversation, which i doubt, having said his piece and me mine, and HOPEFULLY THIS THREAD WILL DIE.

Sorry, I can't let this go unanswered.

Here's my disclaimer.
1. I knew Joe before he was sponsored by anyone.
2. I am the engineering department for Sterling, not marketing or sales.
3. I have little if any influence on matters of sponsorship
4. My defending Joe is entirely based in friendship and nothing to do with who I work for. There are people on our athlete list that I do not think highly of. There are people, past and present, on the sponsored list that have come under public fire yet I felt no compulsion to defend them.
5. Personally I believe financial sponsorship of climbers is a waist of money so obviously I have no corporate interest in defending Joe.

I'm done with this.

jakedatc

Feb 16, 2008, 5:01 AM
Post #56 of 85 (6186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Christina.. go do something significant in climbing and go get an article written about you or by you. Then you can tell people whatever the hell YOU want.

did you really think that Jim was spewing sponsor bullshit? really?

I am not as fortunate as Jim is to have climbed with Joe but i have climbed with friends and others who have and have also never heard a bad thing about the guy.

you're so focused on that one article that you seem to be closing out the rest of Joe's whole career and contributions to the community.

You say he's a bad influence on climbing.. what the FUCK have you done?

Partner angry

Feb 17, 2008, 4:59 PM
Post #57 of 85 (6118 views)
Shortcut

Fshizzle my wizzle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So what are the chances that gimikspitter is Joe Kinder drumming up hits for his website?

dlintz

Feb 18, 2008, 5:43 AM
Post #58 of 85 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
dlintz wrote:

d.

That picture is why its been April of 2007 at most of my friends' houses for the last 9 months.

If I'd owned the calendar, it'd probably be the same at my house too.

Actually, it's March, and I still haven't changed it on my fridge as well although I have added the 2008 calendar next to it. Wink

d.

petsfed

Feb 18, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #59 of 85 (6036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
Actually, it's March, and I still haven't changed it on my fridge as well although I have added the 2008 calendar next to it. Wink

d.

Tells you what part of the calendar I was paying attention to.

sausalito

Feb 18, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #60 of 85 (6029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am glad to say I have no clue who this guy is but I will say that getting so bent on a young guy making a comment on booty shorts seems incredibly silly. Alas my fever of 102+ persists and so I for some reason felt compelled to read this and respond.

crankmas

Feb 18, 2008, 7:03 PM
Post #61 of 85 (5991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sausalito] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe, Colette and Dave Graham hiked up to a crag at the Red a week before the 07, Roctrip, all three were very nice, considerate of everyone there and totally psyched on "our" area which was cool considering the credentials, along with tearing up all manner of 5.13 grades they cracked me up by not watching each real closely while belaying as to not screw up their individual onsites, I even called Joe, Luke thinking he was their buddy Parady I had read about in the mags earlier, it became a week long inside joke, I'm glad they all came to Roctrip and thank them for the courtesy and low key vibe they had. Hope they enjoyed the trip as well.

phUnk

Feb 18, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #62 of 85 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
nawt that hawt.

where's she from, Nose City? Bignose.

Whatever, Mr No-Nose. Pirate

Partner camhead

Feb 18, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #63 of 85 (5913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phUnk] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat

Feb 19, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #64 of 85 (5902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Hey Christina.. go do something significant in climbing and go get an article written about you or by you. Then you can tell people whatever the hell YOU want.

You get bullshit comments like this on climbing sites worldwide. All it shows is the poster's ignorance.

" Unless you've climbed 5.14 or V12 whatever, your opinion doesn't count!"

Well that's crap!

Imagine how fucking interesting this forum would be if only those who had appeared in Hot Flashes were allowed to voice an opinion?

In a country that prides itself on democracy and free speech and it's famous Bill of Rights, there seem to be a lot of people who are very totalitarian in their ways of thinking.

Everyone has an opinion and everyone should be able to voice that opinion. It doesn't matter if you climb 5.14 or 5.6.

"You can tell people whatever the hell YOU want", whenever the hell YOU want.

Don't listen to narrow minded thought dictators who would have been well placed in Stalin's Ministry of Sports. They suck!

justroberto

Feb 19, 2008, 1:43 AM
Post #65 of 85 (5879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallwombat] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
In a country that prides itself on democracy and free speech and it's famous Bill of Rights, there seem to be a lot of people who are very totalitarian in their ways of thinking.
My country's better than yours!
wallwombat wrote:
Everyone has an opinion and everyone should be able to voice that opinion. It doesn't matter if you climb 5.14 or 5.6.
I think they've both expressed their opinion without censorship, no?

wallwombat wrote:
Don't listen to narrow minded thought dictators who would have been well placed in Stalin's Ministry of Sports. They suck!
Ah, good! Stalin! He hasn't been referenced here lately. It's always "Hitler this, Hitler that..."

jakedatc

Feb 19, 2008, 2:26 AM
Post #66 of 85 (5861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

You get bullshit comments like this on climbing sites worldwide. All it shows is the poster's ignorance.

" Unless you've climbed 5.14 or V12 whatever, your opinion doesn't count!"

Well that's crap!

Imagine how fucking interesting this forum would be if only those who had appeared in Hot Flashes were allowed to voice an opinion?

"You can tell people whatever the hell YOU want", whenever the hell YOU want.

Who said I thought she had to climb something hard.. she could help Access Fund save a bouldering area.. she could do clinics at gyms to help raise money for some cause.. etc etc.

narrow minded people.. like the people here judging a person by what they've said to a magazine and have no idea the situation or atmosphere the questions were being asked..? riiight

everyone can voice their opinion... like.. Joe Kinder

thanks for clearing that up

wallwombat

Feb 19, 2008, 2:46 AM
Post #67 of 85 (5852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Roberto. I didn't say my country was better than yours. All I said was the USA was a nation that seems to pride itself on democratic rights, one of which is free speech and that I seem to see that forgotten on occasion.

My country doesn't tout itself as the home of democracy, free speech, etc, etc. In fact the majority of us, Australians seem to be quite happy with the rest of the world being quite unaware of our existence.

If you see an attack on your country in every comment made by someone not from your country that's a shame. There was no attack there.

wallwombat

Feb 19, 2008, 3:07 AM
Post #68 of 85 (5845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

Who said I thought she had to climb something hard.. she could help Access Fund save a bouldering area.. she could do clinics at gyms to help raise money for some cause.. etc etc.

narrow minded people.. like the people here judging a person by what they've said to a magazine and have no idea the situation or atmosphere the questions were being asked..? riiight

everyone can voice their opinion... like.. Joe Kinder

thanks for clearing that up

Come off it dude. You weren't talking about doing good deeds. You were talking about climbing hard or getting your head in the glossy climbing mags. Don't suddenly go all Oprah on me. Read your initial post. It's pretty clear what you were implying.

I agree with everything else you said. Joe is allowed an opinion. That's what his site is about. But this is an internet rockclimbing forum - people slag other people off. That's what happens on them all. It's allowed. It happens in real life. It's pointless getting all steamy and worked up about it.

jakedatc

Feb 19, 2008, 4:53 AM
Post #69 of 85 (5818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually i didn't. Yes.. she could go climb some hard shit and get noticed.. or could do something good for the community she says Joe is a bad influence on.. despite his non-climbing work.

i'm not getting all steamed up.. just putting my point of view on someone who was a decent influence on many of my local climbing areas.

wallwombat

Feb 19, 2008, 5:00 AM
Post #70 of 85 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fair enough.

justroberto

Feb 19, 2008, 6:20 AM
Post #71 of 85 (5791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see it as an attack, and I wouldn't care anyways. Free speech means being able to tell someone else you don't agree with them and that they may kindly STFU.

Also, it's hard to find pictures of Collette. Unless more start popping up, this thread is kind of useless, isn't it?

dingus

Feb 19, 2008, 6:28 AM
Post #72 of 85 (5787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't know the dude if you posted a pic. Don't care what he's climbed, ever. Never read an interview. Never want to. The cult of personality sucks.

DMT

ts83

Feb 19, 2008, 9:44 AM
Post #73 of 85 (5771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get a kick out of the shitstorm that flew up in this thread... somewhere we went from: check out this website, to; I don't like him, he talks funny, to; he's a sexist pig! How dare he discuss women in short shorts?!?!111!, to; his rhetorical positioning as a public figure is sadly lacking in responsibility?

GFG, I think we're losing sight of what's important here... is the end result of this thread going to be a date for dlintz with Collette? And if the answer is no - can I see more pictures?

carabiner96

Feb 20, 2008, 4:48 AM
Post #74 of 85 (5709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ts83] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hm. Reading his page pissed me off, not because of his attitude, but because EMS is like THE only outdoors company to not use its employees as athlete-models.

S'all I'm saying. Frown

unrooted

Feb 20, 2008, 5:04 AM
Post #75 of 85 (5700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Joe Kinder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Hm. Reading his page pissed me off, not because of his attitude, but because EMS is like THE only outdoors company to not use its employees as athlete-models.

S'all I'm saying. Frown

That's because EMS employees are the leftovers from REI, just too ugly.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook