Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

AeroXan

Mar 14, 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #101 of 234 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the gate is not the point of failure because on most biners the load is concentrated away from it. most biners fail at the elbow where the bending load is concentrated. the load on the spine and elbow will cause it to fail before the load on the gate exceeds its strength. the gate being open greatly reduces the strength of the biner as a whole but not a reduction of simply the gate strength. the gate reduces the bending moment on the spine so the spine fails at a higher load.

g_i_g_i

Mar 14, 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #102 of 234 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

Answer me this

What is the purpose of the lock on a locking-biner ?

A-is to stop gate flutter
B- To prevent the gate/hook misalignment
c- I do not know what to say
D other reason like.......................

Since the reply was to my post, here's my answer.
The purpose is to prevent the gate from opening (and consequently the pin disengaging) for ANY reason, gate flutter being one.

What are you trying to get to at this point?
As if it was necessary, you were presented evidence that the pin/notch design does exactly what it's supposed to do, the carabiners in the video had their gates kept open.
You gave the impression that you thought the pin is the component of the carabiner that normally fails, and you were proven wrong.
Actually you've seen many failed carabiners with pin/notch intact, and instead of coming to the obvious conclusion, you thought that the design was faulty.

You know, if I were to use your style, I could tell you that since you have no basic background in mechancal engineering and design, all this makes no sense to you, and this post should have been open in the beginners forum, not the lab. But I, like many others, don't like this style.

majid_sabet

Mar 15, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #103 of 234 (5872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g_i_g_i] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

g_i_g_i wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

Answer me this

The purpose is to prevent the gate from opening (and consequently the pin disengaging) for ANY reason, gate flutter being one.

As if it was necessary, you were presented evidence that the pin/notch design does exactly what it's supposed to do, the carabiners in the video had their gates kept open.
You gave the impression that you thought the pin is the component of the carabiner that normally fails, and you were proven wrong.
Actually you've seen many failed carabiners with pin/notch intact, and instead of coming to the obvious conclusion, you thought that the design was faulty.

You know, if I were to use your style, I could tell you that since you have no basic background in mechancal engineering and design, all this makes no sense to you, and this post should have been open in the beginners forum, not the lab. But I, like many others, don't like this style.

Gi Gi
Unless you log in with user name Trench then I am ok your answer. If you were only trying to contribute to this post then that is fine too but do not make any assumption about my background and please read the entire post and then drop your comments. Also If you think, this belongs to a beginner forum or any other place then you should ask mods to relocate this post. Till then, This discuccion is going to stays here till we get some answers.

Partner baja_java

Mar 15, 2008, 1:31 AM
Post #104 of 234 (5846 views)
Shortcut

Re: saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I been looking at biner failures for long time and recently I reviewed the UIAA test page that offers several films related to biner failures during pull test. it seems to me that locking pin on the gate does not appear to catch the hook during shock load or pull test.

majid_sabet wrote:
The way I see it, the pin and the little hook do nothing. Basically, they are both worthless and I am pretty confident that, this is the biggest Screw-up in the history of climbing gear design and yet, manufactures are still making them with the same problem

The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period.

oh my god! if what you're saying is true, all such solid gate non-locking biners actually only have up to open-gate strength, as the gate pin never engages and the closed-gate strength would never come into play in a fall

with something this serious, DO NOT waste any more time here on an online forum. you need to IMMEDIATELY contact all such non-locking biner manufacturers and retailers so they can stop productions and sales and issue recalls immediately, on products dating back decades

right this moment, climbers out there could be taking big falls thinking they're safe with their biners' higher closed-gate strength but who are actually in great peril. and if they get hurt and sue, not only can they sue the gear makers but also sue you because you've been aware and convinced of this danger and didn't contact the manufacturers and retailers right away. they can use a copy of this discussion as proof. since you've posted this at 10:01 pm on march 10, 2008, you've still only been chitchatting on a website about this and waiting for some manufacturer to happen to come across this discussion by chance. that's not going to cut it. they can sue you. this is how america works. call the manufacturers and retailers now. i don't want to see you get sued and lose everything and become broke and homeless. i am your friend

call them now!!

trenchdigger

Mar 15, 2008, 3:38 AM
Post #105 of 234 (5820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

Answer me this

D.

Back to the original point...
majid_sabet wrote:
The way I see it, the pin and the little hook do nothing. Basically, they are both worthless and I am pretty confident that, this is the biggest Screw-up in the history of climbing gear design and yet, manufactures are still making them with the same problem

The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period. If the hook is there to stop the gate from bending backward (extend travel) then they could just cut the notch and keep the hook straight like a regular Chinese key chain biners .
Are you still standing by this assertion?

qwert

Mar 15, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #106 of 234 (5794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so, has anybody done any pulling on this?
without that this is just speculation. unfortunately due to the weather i had to work at the pond in the garden, and not in the orchard with the big 4ton winch, so i couldnt do any tests.
next saturday is easter, so i can go out, but maybe in two weeks.
however if someone with an actual testing rig would try it would be better.
but another problem: if i want to observe if the hook engages, i have to get really close to the biner. but my winch is a rather brute tool, meaning the biner could snap at any moment. any ideas how i would avoid to get hurt?
or should i use the slackline?

qwert

g_i_g_i

Mar 15, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #107 of 234 (5783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
g_i_g_i wrote:

Gi Gi
Unless you log in with user name Trench then I am ok your answer. If you were only trying to contribute to this post then that is fine too but do not make any assumption about my background and please read the entire post and then drop your comments. Also If you think, this belongs to a beginner forum or any other place then you should ask mods to relocate this post. Till then, This discuccion is going to stays here till we get some answers.

Try to go by your own rules, especially the one about reading (and, most importantly, understanding) somebody's post before replying. In particular, read again the part where I say I don't like a certain style.

Anyway, what answers are you talking about, here?
Trench asked you a question twice, and you have not replyed yet. I asked you what you're trying to get to, and you have not replyed.
Can you please ask the questions you want answered?

patto

Mar 16, 2008, 1:20 AM
Post #108 of 234 (5742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
without that this is just speculation.

Not true. Closed gate strength are significantly stronger than open gate strengths. Thus, logically, the hook must catch on the pin.

I don't know why this is even being debated. Carabiners are simple engineering and have been rigorously tested by manufacturers. I don't see how you could possibly claim that there is a problem.

majid_sabet

Mar 16, 2008, 2:00 AM
Post #109 of 234 (5732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
qwert wrote:
without that this is just speculation.

Not true. Closed gate strength are significantly stronger than open gate strengths. Thus, logically, the hook must catch on the pin.

I don't know why this is even being debated. Carabiners are simple engineering and have been rigorously tested by manufacturers. I don't see how you could possibly claim that there is a problem.

There is no argument about how strong the biners with their gate closed and this is not what were are taking here, however, I am questioning how efficient the the pin-hood do their job during shock load. From what I can see ( based on several bend biners with undamaged pin-hook) the hook does not fully engages with the pin and shortly after initial shock, the hook pushes the pin (gate) backward causing misalignment which eventually causes axis line to bend faster during tensioning .

Again ,if pin-hook are fully engaging during tension mode then we should see some sort of damage to the pin or the hook.

I mean how much forces would it take to bend a pin or snap the hook off the biner ?

patto

Mar 16, 2008, 3:46 AM
Post #110 of 234 (5716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
There is no argument about how strong the biners with their gate closed and this is not what were are taking here, however, I am questioning how efficient the the pin-hood do their job during shock load. From what I can see ( based on several bend biners with undamaged pin-hook) the hook does not fully engages with the pin and shortly after initial shock, the hook pushes the pin (gate) backward causing misalignment which eventually causes axis line to bend faster during tensioning .

Again ,if pin-hook are fully engaging during tension mode then we should see some sort of damage to the pin or the hook.

I mean how much forces would it take to bend a pin or snap the hook off the biner ?

Whether it is a shock load or not. If the gate is closed then the gate is closed and the biner should perform as the closed gate strength indicates.

If you want to bring so called gate flutter into it then that is a different issue.

It probably takes 5 or so kN to break the hook. But that is largely irrelevant because the gate is not where ulitmate failure usually occurs.

gr4t

Mar 16, 2008, 5:15 AM
Post #111 of 234 (5703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

You should not see damage to the pin or hook. You are continuing to ignore how biners work. They are effective enough at keeping the load on the spine side of the biner that the pin/ notch does not receive enough force to be damaged before the biner breaks at the elbow or the biner bends enough to disengage the pin and the biner breaks at the elbow.

You don't argue against the closed gate strength of the pin/ notch style biner. And it's been demonstrated that the failure during closed gate occurs without damage to the pin Therefore the fact that you see field failures without pin damage does not logically lead to the conclusion that the pin/ notch do not engage properly.

ajkclay

Mar 16, 2008, 6:37 AM
Post #112 of 234 (5695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course there's always the chance that all the UIAA etc tests have been completely wrong and that someone notorius for making completely illogical and ridiculous statements on this site is right...

Isn't there?

Errr, thanks, but for now I'll go with the UIAA... their certified gear seems to have kept me alive so far.

Anyone else going over to the Majid Certification Scheme?

Crazy

Cheers

Adam

ajkclay

Mar 16, 2008, 6:55 AM
Post #113 of 234 (5690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Baja_java is right Majid... If you seriously believe this to be the case why have you not contacted every manufacturer out there?

Do our lives not matter to you?

You have been speaking with such a level of seriousness and alarm that your inaction upon this matter which you apparently feel so strongly about can really only be interpreted as major and gross negligence.

That is, if you truly believe what you are saying.

I call bull majid. put your money where your mouth is and contact the people who should know or cut the crap.

Adam

majid_sabet

Mar 16, 2008, 8:26 AM
Post #114 of 234 (5679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajkclay] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to see some damaged pins or destroyed hook

Attention all rock climbers, please show me some proof that a pin or a hook that has acutely been damaged during drop test or an actual fall.

Till then, MS will continue to press on this pin-hook misalignment myth.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

majid_sabet

Mar 16, 2008, 8:53 AM
Post #115 of 234 (5672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gr4t] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

You should not see damage to the pin or hook. You are continuing to ignore how biners work. They are effective enough at keeping the load on the spine side of the biner that the pin/ notch does not receive enough force to be damaged before the biner breaks at the elbow or the biner bends enough to disengage the pin and the biner breaks at the elbow.

You don't argue against the closed gate strength of the pin/ notch style biner. And it's been demonstrated that the failure during closed gate occurs without damage to the pin Therefore the fact that you see field failures without pin damage does not logically lead to the conclusion that the pin/ notch do not engage properly.

patto

Mar 16, 2008, 9:20 AM
Post #116 of 234 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Attention all rock climbers, please show me some proof that a pin or a hook that has acutely been damaged during drop test or an actual fall.

Attention majid_sabet. You ignored everybody elses posts and contined to assert the is an issue without any evidence.

You won't find many damaged pins or hooks because that is not the weak point in a carabiner.

qwert

Mar 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #117 of 234 (5652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid, with all the pictures you post, are these yours or do you just have them from teh intertubes?
have you taken a magnifying glass and looked at the pin and the groove where it should rest?
even at unbroken biners of mine i can sometimes see some slight deformations, wich look like the pin has been pressed into the notch.

and you are always talking about shockloading, and how it causes the nothc and the pin not to engage.
isnt this a known issue, when you are having gate whiplash or gate flutter?
i really appreciate your thoughts, and sometimes out of the box thinking, but your "im an *insert matching job here* and i know about *insert subject here* and i know that something that seemed to be working fine for dozends of years doenst work, but im not going to proove it, im just posting wacky pictures without the story behind them and insulting everybody" behaviour is very annoying.

as i said, i can see what you mean with some issues, but please, post real proof, and not just speculation. for example pull tests, or do some computer simulation. if matlab is too expensive, GNU Octave is also very powerfull, and its open source. And since you are a *insert job here* you should have no problems doing such a complicated analisys.

qwert

gr4t

Mar 16, 2008, 1:41 PM
Post #118 of 234 (5647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

OK, you've put it in bold, but didn't comment. Does that mean you accept the argument and we can go home now? Because, the reported closed gate strength is the point at which the biner bends far enough for the pin to be push passed the notch.

gr4t

Mar 16, 2008, 3:00 PM
Post #119 of 234 (5630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Here's a video you dismissed earlier http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVD0FBLiFQ. In this video we see a carabiner that is loaded to its breaking point. The gate is closed until it breaks, and yet magically the biner breaks at the elbow. This is proof that you will not see damaged pins or destroyed hooks. But this is not evidence that the pin/hooks does not work.

Show me a notchless style biner where the opening in the gate has been stretched around the biner's nose?

majid_sabet wrote:

That's right, pin-hook misalignment is a myth, and if you can't demonstrate it's not a myth, you should stop perpetuating it.

Partner baja_java

Mar 16, 2008, 3:54 PM
Post #120 of 234 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Re: saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

your claim was NOT about HOW EFFICIENT the pin-hood do their job during shock load. your claim was that the pin DOES NOT interlock with the hood under tension AT ALL, that they are USELESS. if the pin-hood don't engage under tension, then there would be no closed-gate strength to speak of. any rational person would see that, aside from maybe people with major brain damage

again, your exact words were:

majid_sabet previously wrote:

do you have a hard time keeping track of what you have said, or are you now trying to lie and change your claim and weasel your out of a mess you have started (in The Lab, of all places) that is now making you look like a complete fool?

it's really quite simple why the pin isn't damaged on broken biners. if the deformation or break happened elsewhere, like at the biner's elbow, then of course the pin would remain intact. it's a very simple piece of logic to compute. it's absolutely amazing that an "expert" like you, even after this has been pointed out again and again by one person after another, from earlier in this discussion to present, that you're still convinced the pin should be damaged. at some point, the inevitable question needs to be asked: what is the major malfunction inside that head of yours?

instead of raising a ruckus based on sheer ignorance and incompetence and making unfounded denouncement like this:

majid_sabet wrote:

an "expert" like you should do a better job of demonstrating to others the finer points of shutting the fuck up when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. owning up to ignorance and incompetence and gross overreaction, that's not that hard, is it?

majid_sabet

Mar 16, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #121 of 234 (5626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

OK, you've put it in bold, but didn't comment. Does that mean you accept the argument and we can go home now? Because, the reported closed gate strength is the point at which the biner bends far enough for the pin to be push passed the notch.

no it means that you are supporting my fact that pin-hook barley become engage and that is why there are no sign of damages and if the biner fails before pin becomes engage with the hook then what is the purpose of the pin or hook?

majid_sabet

Mar 16, 2008, 4:38 PM
Post #122 of 234 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Here's a video you dismissed earlier http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVD0FBLiFQ. In this video we see a carabiner that is loaded to its breaking point. The gate is closed until it breaks, and yet magically the biner breaks at the elbow. This is proof that you will not see damaged pins or destroyed hooks. But this is not evidence that the pin/hooks does not work.

Show me a notchless style biner where the opening in the gate has been stretched around the biner's nose?

majid_sabet wrote:

That's right, pin-hook misalignment is a myth, and if you can't demonstrate it's not a myth, you should stop perpetuating it.

The person who conducted that pull test is BOB. He is a friend of mine and we done some testing together but unfortunately what he is showing in youtube is invalid due to fact that he is using two big fat shackle that applies forces to the middle of the biner and away from the axis line.

applying forces to the middle of the biner causes tension to be divided evenly along the both axis line which does not allow the axis line to bend. this is like applying forces to an OVAL biner which load is evenly applied till gate gives up.

So to valid his test, BOB should use a bolt hanger on one side ( to subsitute as a climbing protection) and a
smaller size cable to substitute as climber's rope under full falling load.

remember, the radius ( diameter) of the shackle pin makes a huge difference during biner's pull test and its result.

edit to add; there are some biners with deeper groove in the hook which engage better than others pins. Not sure about omaga biners but I have seen some improved biners out there but still, majority of commonly used biner lack from hook-pin full engagement.

Hey Bob, you got some time to break few of my biners ?

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 16, 2008, 4:48 PM)

gr4t

Mar 16, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #123 of 234 (5600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

no it means that you are supporting my fact that pin-hook barley become engage and that is why there are no sign of damages and if the biner fails before pin becomes engage with the hook then what is the purpose of the pin or hook?

Except that I say the biner pin disengages, meaning that it is engaged until the biner is bent under a force that is essentially the measured closed gate breaking point. If the pin disengaged at an earlier point then wouldn't the measured closed gate strength of the different types of biners be different. http://www.bdel.com/...n_detail.php#compare. Unless Black Diamond is just making up their numbers, the pin/hook, keylock, and locking biners of both type are very similarly strong with the gates closed. Note that the locking and non-locking Quicksilver have the same strength - the locking mechanism prevents the gate from coming open due to gate flutter or contact with the gate from another object, but does not have a measured effect from keeping the pin-notch aligned when the biner is loaded.

basilisk

Mar 16, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #124 of 234 (5595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T 1,000,000

You guys are fools.

gr4t

Mar 16, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #125 of 234 (5589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
gr4t wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

majid_sabet wrote:

The person who conducted that pull test is BOB. He is a friend of mine and we done some testing together but unfortunately what he is showing in youtube is invalid due to fact that he is using two big fat shackle that applies forces to the middle of the biner and away from the axis line.

applying forces to the middle of the biner causes tension to be divided evenly along the both axis line which does not allow the axis line to bend. this is like applying forces to an OVAL biner which load is evenly applied till gate gives up.

So to valid his test, BOB should use a bolt hanger on one side ( to subsitute as a climbing protection) and a
smaller size cable to substitute as climber's rope under full falling load.

remember, the radius ( diameter) of the shackle pin makes a huge difference during biner's pull test and its result.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1248/screenhunter1de2.jpg[/IMG]

edit to add; there are some biners with deeper groove in the hook which engage better than others pins. Not sure about omaga biners but I have seen some improved biners out there but still, majority of commonly used biner lack from hook-pin full engagement.

Hey Bob, you got some time to break few of my biners ?

I agree that this is not indicative of how a biner is actually loaded, but that does not mean it's not useful. How about asking Bob if this biner test resulted in a damage pin or hook? We see obvious pin/hook engagement up to the breaking point. If this biner does not have pin damage would you accept that asymmetrical D biners break at the elbow without pin/hook damage.

Considering how weak the open gate strength of biners is, if the pin engaged as poorly as you claim then we should see bent and broken biners on a very regular basis. The numbers that we see are more in line with gates being opened by other causes than an inherent design flaw.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook