Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

adatesman

Apr 11, 2008, 2:23 AM
Post #51 of 198 (8209 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

tradklime

Apr 11, 2008, 3:15 AM
Post #52 of 198 (8200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
I don't know what Tradklime's situation is, so maybe the cost difference between the quicklinks vs new webbing plus rap rings is a factor.
The cost isn't the issue at all. If it's interesting to folks, when I first bought them, I saw a good deal on rated and stamped quicklinks from a rigging supply company, so I bought some. When I received them, the "Made in China" caught my attention. Upon inspection, they seemed completely appropriate for the intended purpose, they still do. I sent them to you more out of curiosity, and thought others might be interested as well. And I thought there was a chance that it would elicit an interesting discussion. And it did, sort of...
In reply to:

Speaking of which, please pardon the personal interjection... Hey Tradklime- you around the 11th or 12th of May (Sunday/Monday)? Looks like my wife will be bailing on me for climbing while we're out in Boulder visiting relatives, so if you'd be interested in showing an out-of-towner around the Flatirons (or wherever, preferably trad) drop me a PM. I'll have the prototypes with me and promise not to replace any of your raps stations (while you're looking....). Wink

-aric.

Yes, I should be around, and would be happy to climb with you, anywhere you'd like to go. I'll send you my number PM.

jt512

Apr 11, 2008, 4:27 AM
Post #53 of 198 (8193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
The equipment in question has a SWL of 1550 lb, which is greater than any expected load when used in the manner tradklime has in mind.

Since the SWL is well above the expected load, then the fact that he sent the units in for testing suggests that he didn't trust the SWL. After seeing the test results, I don't trust it either, although it's possible that the results would have been more satisfactory if you had tightened the the links with a wrench, per the manufacturers suggestions. It still might me interesting to see how wrench-tightened links perform compared with finger-tightened ones.

In reply to:
If I found one (or two) of these quicklinks at a rap station would I rap off them? Hell no. But I'm also the kind of guy that tends to cut off all the tat and completely replace everything at a rap station when I get to it.

Why not? First you say the SWL indicates that they're safe for rapping off of, and then you say you wouldn't do so. I don't get it.

In reply to:
We can debate the appropriateness of using them until the cows come home, but long story short we're seriously lacking in information about the quicklinks (materials, safety factors, etc.) and no amount of online bickering is going to change that. If the results I got makes Tradklime trust them for the use he intends, more power to him. If I find them and replace them with climb-spec gear, more power to me.

Yeah, but the average climber is just going to assume that they're good, and go ahead and rap on them. Frankly, I can't imagine how two of even these lousy quick links could fail under rappel loads, so there's probably no danger in using them. On the other hand, if an 8% coefficient of variation is good enough for our purposes, why do reputable companies go to the effort and expense of making better hardware according to more rigorous standards?

Jay

curt

Apr 11, 2008, 4:55 AM
Post #54 of 198 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [russwalling] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
Holy fuck...In a similar vein, how do we know the head of your penis won't pop off from all of the pulling? How big was the sample size? No penis heads have ever failed before, but that does not mean that the head couldn't just pop off from work hardening....

Happened to a buddy of mine in Flagstaff. No shit. It was just awful.

Curt

adatesman

Apr 11, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #55 of 198 (8165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jt512

Apr 11, 2008, 6:13 PM
Post #56 of 198 (8130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
... although it's possible that the results would have been more satisfactory if you had tightened the the links with a wrench, per the manufacturers suggestions. It still might me interesting to see how wrench-tightened links perform compared with finger-tightened ones.

I agree, that would make for an interesting comparison but no one I know of keeps a wrench on their rack so I have doubts as to the relevance of the results (unless it convinces people to keep a wrench on their rack for this purpose...).

Most climbers don't carry quick links on their rack either. They keep them in their tool box, along with their wrench and other tools they use when they install hardware on routes. I thought that these links were to be used in permanent rappel anchors, in which case I would hope that they would be wrench tightened. Actually, you shouldn't have made the decision about wrench tightening yourself. You should have consulted your "client."

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
adatesman wrote:
If I found one (or two) of these quicklinks at a rap station would I rap off them? Hell no. But I'm also the kind of guy that tends to cut off all the tat and completely replace everything at a rap station when I get to it.

Why not? First you say the SWL indicates that they're safe for rapping off of, and then you say you wouldn't do so. I don't get it.

What's there to get? Yes, I believe they're probably safe to rap off. I also clearly stated that I'm the type of guy that generally replaces everything regardless of what's there due to concern about the soft goods. If I'm going to go to the trouble to replace the soft goods I might as well leave the station with unquestionably good, climb-spec gear. If there was climb-spec gear there to start with, I'll just replace the soft goods and reuse the gear. If the gear isn't climb-spec, is in poor condition or is of unknown origin, I'll replace it. While I feel confident in my ability to make the determination of what's good enough because of my background in engineering and manufacturing, I don't know if the next guy will be similarly qualified and would prefer doing what I can to make it so that its not an issue for him.

Changing out "non-climb spec" anchor hardware on a routine basis is impractical, since the vast majority of anchor hardware on trad routes in the field is not "climb spec." You'd need to invest $1000 in hardware to climb for a week at some place like Joshua Tree.

jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
Yeah, but the average climber is just going to assume that they're good, and go ahead and rap on them.

Exactly why I do it.

Exactly why they shouldn't be installed in the first place.

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
... if an 8% coefficient of variation is good enough for our purposes, why do reputable companies go to the effort and expense of making better hardware according to more rigorous standards?

My guess would be that the market for these sorts of things has considerable overlap between recreational climbing and uses that demand far stronger and more rigorously tested gear such as emergency services, search and rescue, military, law enforcement, etc. Its far cheaper to just make a lot of one product to the higher standard than smaller quantities of two different products with different design criteria.

I don't understand your answer. Why would, say, law enforcement applications require more rigorous manufacturing standards than climbing anchors (hell, we're the one's taking lead falls). Besides, there is loads of gear that is made specifically for recreational climbing, and it's made according to CE and UIAA standards with appropriate quality control.

Jay

adatesman

Apr 11, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #57 of 198 (8150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jt512

Apr 11, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #58 of 198 (8142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Most climbers don't carry quick links on their rack either. They keep them in their tool box, along with their wrench and other tools they use when they install hardware on routes. I thought that these links were to be used in permanent rappel anchors, in which case I would hope that they would be wrench tightened. Actually, you shouldn't have made the
decision about wrench tightening yourself. You should have consulted your "client."

True, it was an assumption on my part lead to only hand tightening them. I don't know offhand whether Tradklime intended to use a wrench or not as it wasn't discussed. As to what "most climbers do", I think neither you nor I are qualified to say what that is with any degree of authority. It wouldn't surprise me if someone were to use them in the fashion I envisioned though, and believe I've read about that very thing here on rc.com. Please feel free to send along some quicklinks for testing with the nuts wrench tightened, but until you do I'm not terribly interested in quibbling over the validity of the assumptions I made for the testing in a nonconstructive manner when they are, in fact, quite valid assumptions to have made regarding the use of the samples being tested.

It wasn't my intent to get into an argument with you, but apparently you had other plans.

An assumption is "valid" when it is true. So your arbitrary assumption that the quicklinks would not be wrench tightened in use is valid if, luckily, that's how tradklime intended to use them. If not, then, frankly, by failing to clarify an important parameter of the test, you fucked up.

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
Changing out "non-climb spec" anchor hardware on a routine basis is impractical, since the vast majority of anchor hardware on trad routes in the field is not "climb spec." You'd need to invest $1000 in hardware to climb for a week at some place like Joshua Tree.

Good thing I don't climb in JTree then, I suppose.

There is nothing unusual about the rap anchors at J Tree. If you think you can routinely change out every rap anchor you come across you're utterly naive.

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
I don't understand your answer. Why would, say, law enforcement applications require more rigorous manufacturing standards than climbing anchors (hell, we're the one's taking lead falls).

Well, off the top of my head OSHA regulations come to mind pretty quick. Plus I would think that law enforcement probably follows the guidelines set by the search and rescue folks, so perhaps someone like Majid could provide some insight on the how and why they spec their gear the way they do?

So you think that the OSHA regulations are just arbitrary, and that the only reason manufacturers confirm to them is that they must do so legally? While I doubt that the standards are perfect, I equally doubt that they are baseless. Do you think the same about climbing equipment standards? Do you think that the only reason that BD and Petzl maintain high quality standards is because the CE and the UIAA says they must? I rather doubt it, especially since UIAA is a climbing industry organization. That is, the climbing equipment industry develops its own equipment standards (to which conformance is voluntary).

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
Besides, there is loads of gear that is made specifically for recreational climbing, and it's made according to CE and UIAA standards with appropriate quality control.

Actually, I'd contend that only occurs because CE and / or UIAA certification is required on equipment sold in Europe for use in rock climbing.

So, you believe that if no regulations existed that all climbing goods would be substandard? I hope you're deluded, and I suspect that you are. Like I said, the climbing equipment industry developed its own standards voluntarily.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 12, 2008, 1:20 AM)

adatesman

Apr 11, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #59 of 198 (8129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jt512

Apr 11, 2008, 9:59 PM
Post #60 of 198 (8120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
It wasn't my intent to get into an argument with you, but apparently you had other plans.

Jay, I'm afraid I have yet to see much of anything from you in this thread that wasn't argumentative, so my defensive reaction to your nitpicking my methods shouldn't be surprising.

You've established a pattern of calling every disagreement as "nitpicking." Correcting completely false statistical inferences is not not-picking, nor is criticizing your unilateral decision to perform your tests without wrench tightening the links.

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
An assumption is "valid" when it is true. So your arbitrary assumption that the quicklinks would not be wrench tightened in use is valid if, luckily, that's how tradklime intended to use them. If not, then, frankly, by failing to clarify an important parameter of the test, you fucked up.

And without specific information regarding torque specifications, how valid would the test be with tightening the nut with a wrench an arbitrary amount?

I could explain that both conceptually and mathematically, but I'm convinced that you're too dense or too defensive to understand the explanation.

In reply to:
Given the uncontrolled nature environment that rap stations are in, the best way to assess suitability of the gear would be worst case scenario, which in this case would be having the nut only finger tight. That way the test would account for cases where a climber gets to the rap station and finds the quicklink undone and somehow manages to close the nut by hand.

That's a one lame rationalization of a questionable decision.

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
If you think you can routinely change out every rap anchor you come across you're utterly naive.

Did you miss the part where I talked about the community at large maintaining things, thereby reducing the need for any one person to shoulder the entire load?

No. I missed the part about you being just another Gumby In Pennsylvania (TM) who happens to have a machine.

In reply to:
Personal attacks are never part of productive discussions and frankly inappropriate here in The Lab. I think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon amusing myself with the irony of using your own killfile tool on you.

Good idea. Killfile the only person in the fucking thread with enough knowledge to criticize your methods, and to correctly interpret your test results.

In reply to:
And I might as well quote the whole thing for context and posterity....

Or just to waste bandwidth.

Jay

dingus

Apr 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #61 of 198 (8118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So use 3/8" quick links instead. No stats degree required.

DMT

sed

Apr 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #62 of 198 (8110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice one dingus, but i don't think a welded foot thick beam would satisfy some people unless it was "properly tested and certified"
S

adatesman

Apr 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #63 of 198 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jt512

Apr 11, 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #64 of 198 (8096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Or just to waste bandwidth.

Jay

...Or to see about having you banned from The Lab. Frankly you've added little value to this discussion...

Little that you've actually understood anyway.

In reply to:
I've PM'd a Mod with my complaint about it and the quoting was to prevent you from hiding the evidence.

How often do people tell you to grow up?

Jay

curt

Apr 12, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #65 of 198 (8075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
...Or to see about having you banned from The Lab. Frankly you've added little value to this discussion and your behavior has clearly violated the TOS for this forum. I've PM'd a Mod with my complaint about it and the quoting was to prevent you from hiding the evidence...

Just quoted to prevent you from erasing clear evidence that you're an idiot. Quid pro quo.

Curt

dynosore

Apr 12, 2008, 3:15 AM
Post #66 of 198 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1) n=6 is hardly a big enough sample to say with any certainty that these are "safe". Ever hear of bimodal distribution? Maybe 1 in 15 will fail at 500+/- lbs for some reason.

2) What type of error is introduced due to your test frame? Hand pump I take it? Looks like each stroke shock loads the sample...not exactly an ASTM compliant setup.

The only conclusion I would draw based on what I've seen is that these are "reasonable strong" and I would rap off 2 of them if I had to, but wouldn't install them myself. How much do you save, is it worth it?

Slightly better than the guys who tested aliens with their car......

tradklime

Apr 12, 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #67 of 198 (8057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Do you think that the only reason that BD and Petzl maintain high quality standards is because the CE and the UIAA says they must? I rather doubt it, especially since UIAA is a climbing industry organization. That is, the climbing equipment industry develops its own equipment standards (to which conformance is voluntary).

Against my better judgement, I'll offer because they are designing and building equipment that could conceivably experience forces near it's ultimate strength when used as it's designed. Not to mention the liability related to products designed for life critical applications.

Regarding the hand tightened links. I have used links that have been hand tightened and wrench tightened. So either would have satisfied my interest.

tradklime

Apr 12, 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #68 of 198 (8056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
It still might me interesting to see how wrench-tightened links perform compared with finger-tightened ones.
If you are truely interested, I would send some more to Aric, assuming he is willing to continue this...

jt512

Apr 12, 2008, 3:50 AM
Post #69 of 198 (8050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
1) n=6 is hardly a big enough sample to say with any certainty that these are "safe". Ever hear of bimodal distribution? Maybe 1 in 15 will fail at 500+/- lbs for some reason.

What's this? Someone else gets it?

Jay

curt

Apr 12, 2008, 5:17 AM
Post #70 of 198 (8039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradklime] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradklime wrote:
jt512 wrote:
It still might me interesting to see how wrench-tightened links perform compared with finger-tightened ones.
If you are truely interested, I would send some more to Aric, assuming he is willing to continue this...

There won't be any difference--unless the "wrench tightened" links were over tightened to the point that the tightening itself weakened the metal.

Curt

maracas

Apr 12, 2008, 6:00 AM
Post #71 of 198 (8029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1500 lb no name harware quicklinks are way better than the 2" shrub for rappelling of a route.

Unless your belayer is fooling around with you, 1500 lb backed up by a second bolt/quicklink on a top rope or rappel is quite solid to me. I would use it anytime.

I would be more concerned with noninspectionable bolts, and then only the first 2 anyway.

Nice testing though, proof that even cheap chinese no names are perfectly fine to rap off.

You should rap off the ones that actually say 300 kg on them before complaining about the 1500 lb ones.

adatesman

Apr 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #72 of 198 (8254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

qwert

Apr 12, 2008, 1:51 PM
Post #73 of 198 (8242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another lab thread that turned into a kindergarden fight.
Crazy

I think i have once rappeled from a quicklink that had an even lower load thn 300kg stamped on it.
And also some very questionable pins and slings, that where way more doubtfull than the quicklinks discussed here.

so to summarize:
Most likely, the cheap chinese links are OK, but since it is only a "most likely" and not a "definitely" case, one should better use "climbin spec" ones form respected manufaturers.
qwert

jt512

Apr 12, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #74 of 198 (8221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maracas] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maracas wrote:
1500 lb no name harware quicklinks are way better than the 2" shrub for rappelling of a route.

Unless your belayer is fooling around with you, 1500 lb backed up by a second bolt/quicklink on a top rope or rappel is quite solid to me. I would use it anytime.

I would be more concerned with noninspectionable bolts, and then only the first 2 anyway.

Nice testing though, proof that even cheap chinese no names are perfectly fine to rap off.

You should rap off the ones that actually say 300 kg on them before complaining about the 1500 lb ones.

All that the test proved is that the 6 quick links that were tested were safe for rappelling. Inference to the population from which the sample was drawn requires additional assumptions, whose justification is dubious. No matter what anybody claims after the fact, let's face it: the reason that these links were sent for testing in the first place is that the owner didn't trust the quality of a 75-cent quick link made by an unknown Chinese manufacturer. What the testing showed is that, compared to an industry standard quick link, the tested links were weaker on average, and more variable in strength. The latter finding implies poor quality control, precisely the suspicion that led to the testing in the first place. If quality control were good then the failure rates would presumably have an approximately normal distribution, which would allow us to make valid predictions about the minimum strength an arbitrarily selected unit might have. However, given the original hypothesis (and the support for it by the results), assuming anything about the distribution (like normality) is not justified. Hence, we have no basis for making inferences about the strength of any links that weren't actually tested. As another poster said, the distribution could well be "bimodal," with a significant percentage of units being dangerously weak outliers.

In spite of the fact that I have clearly explained this repeatedly, there is evidence that only one other participant in the thread has understood; while, in contrast, the majority of participants, including the owner of the links and probably the tester himself, believe that the testing has proved that these 75-cent links are safe. The apparent ability of tests conducted by some random guy in Pennsylvania, playing quality control engineer on the Internet, to mislead the majority of those who read the test results shows that these amateur tests can do more harm than good. Maybe we should leave this job to the manufacturers, who are in a position to the job properly. Or maybe this so-called "Lab" isn't the best place for homemade test results to be published.

Jay

tradklime

Apr 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #75 of 198 (8183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
No matter what anybody claims after the fact, let's face it: the reason that these links were sent for testing in the first place is that the owner didn't trust the quality of a 75-cent quick link made by an unknown Chinese manufacturer.
Please don't imply that you have any idea what I'm thinking. We are clearly not on the same page.

This came out of the "pull test suggestion thread". I sent Aric some other stuff as well. Again, out of curiosity.

In reply to:
In spite of the fact that I have clearly explained this repeatedly, there is evidence that only one other participant in the thread has understood; while, in contrast, the majority of participants, including the owner of the links and probably the tester himself, believe that the testing has proved that these 75-cent links are safe.
Again, dude, you and I, not on the same page. No one ever set out to prove anything.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook