Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

May 13, 2008, 6:01 AM
Post #26 of 145 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Majid,
I think the whole point of what angry is implying is that this should be possible to do with gear that any climber has at hand. He didn't say this explicitly, but he did imply it.

I carry a knife. I carry an ATC. I carry rope, sometimes 2 ropes. I carry gear. I carry a headlamp. I carry a jacket, sometimes extra clothes. I carry water and food.

I don't carry a modified rescue 8 for belaying. I realize this can be used for belaying, but out of the people who use a figure 8 in the USA, very few of them use a rescue 8.

we got two issues here which we need to discuss;

A- This SOL method does not work at all and just forget about it.

B- It could work with the right tools, and right person as the last resource considering all the risk that is involved with it.

Now, you want sit on the ledge and hope someone will show up 9 days later to bag you up or you want to try to become creative and save your life?

of course , you could die while trying this but , do you rather die on the ledge cause no one came for you or die while trying to save your life?

I know I am not sitting on the ledge crying and waiting for SAR to get me out. Unless I am in really in a bad shape with a missing leg or an arm, I will do any thing and make any rig to get myself out of the situation.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 13, 2008, 6:02 AM)

tarsier

May 13, 2008, 7:42 AM
Post #27 of 145 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Give that same amount of rope/cord that Angry is shown to an inmate in death row and then put them on the top of 20 story high building and tell them “freedom is at the bottom of the wall”

You will see how they manage to get down.

Yeah, by falling.

tb69hikeclimb

May 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #28 of 145 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work ! Angry you did a great job..... but I have to give the win to Majid.  you see while many of Majids  post are bullshit they have just enough truth in them to make us all think HMMMM will that work?In this case the results are a solid maybe. BUT Majid gets the win because he made you waste most of a day (A good weather climbing day) to prove him wrong.  Majid is a distorted individual who gets off pissing people off and wasting their time .  Clearly he won this round.Pirate

NICE JOB MAJIDWink

dingus

May 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #29 of 145 (4101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tb69hikeclimb] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tb69hikeclimb wrote:
Nice work ! Angry you did a great job..... but I have to give the win to Majid.  you see while many of Majids  post are bullshit they have just enough truth in them to make us all think HMMMM will that work?In this case the results are a solid maybe. BUT Majid gets the win because he made you waste most of a day (A good weather climbing day) to prove him wrong.  Majid is a distorted individual who gets off pissing people off and wasting their time .  Clearly he won this round.Pirate

NICE JOB MAJIDWink

I think angry didn't waste his time at all and his test is actaully a great outcome from an majid declaration.

Thanks angry.

DMT

WVUCLMBR

May 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #30 of 145 (4101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tb69hikeclimb] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Woah....he didn't win yet.....first he has to prove it will work. I smell a new thread popping up in the I&A forum with lots of red arrows.

Partner j_ung

May 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #31 of 145 (4103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

I suggested this solution by ripping the cord apart and tie it together to make the last effort to help you in getting down to base. As I said, use it as the last effort when you have insufficient length of soft gear to complete a long rap. Yes, you can die if you rig this thing incorrectly but you still have higher chances to survive if you get down vs. sitting on a ledge and die for not reaching the base. Give that same amount of rope/cord that Angry is shown to an inmate in death row and then put them on the top of 20 story high building and tell them “freedom is at the bottom of the wall”

You will see how they manage to get down.

You've been called out. Now either record your own successful attempt at this, or take your big-boy medicine.

dutyje

May 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #32 of 145 (4099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

B- It could work with the right tools, and right person as the last resource considering all the risk that is involved with it.

Now, you want sit on the ledge and hope someone will show up 9 days later to bag you up or you want to try to become creative and save your life?

of course , you could die while trying this but , do you rather die on the ledge cause no one came for you or die while trying to save your life?

I know I am not sitting on the ledge crying and waiting for SAR to get me out. Unless I am in really in a bad shape with a missing leg or an arm, I will do any thing and make any rig to get myself out of the situation.

I SEE

irregularpanda

May 13, 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #33 of 145 (4051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
Majid,
I think the whole point of what angry is implying is that this should be possible to do with gear that any climber has at hand. He didn't say this explicitly, but he did imply it.

I carry a knife. I carry an ATC. I carry rope, sometimes 2 ropes. I carry gear. I carry a headlamp. I carry a jacket, sometimes extra clothes. I carry water and food.

I don't carry a modified rescue 8 for belaying. I realize this can be used for belaying, but out of the people who use a figure 8 in the USA, very few of them use a rescue 8.

You know, this isn't a personal attack and because we're in the *sigh* lab, I'll keep it constructive.
It's been a while since you've drawn green and red arrows with army men climbing around on floating asteroids....what's up man? Where's the love?

I could dig a couple books off the shelf and try to revive the SAR dork in all of us, but your obscure scenarios and horrific grammar do that much better.

Anyway, my point is actually this. I agree that what you stated above is the essence of this thread. Will you sit on a ledge and die? Or will you try to do something about it?

What I was trying to say was this: NOBODY IN AMERICA USES A MODIFIED RESCUE 8. Do this with an ATC. Do it several times, enough to manage several, say 8, rappels, and I'll be impressed at your obscure improvisational techniques, rather than annoyed by them. And use a knife, with avocado on it. Maybe some cheese.

Partner angry

May 13, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #34 of 145 (4044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Angry

I am going to get the 5 meter rope apart and have that 30 footer tied up to rap with my 8.

You better hope something happens to me, otherwise , I am coming after you once I get down.

Oh so much bullshit!!

Your claim was you could get down 30 feet with 5 feet of rope.

Don't change your own rules now.

majid_sabet

May 13, 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #35 of 145 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Angry

I am going to get the 5 meter rope apart and have that 30 footer tied up to rap with my 8.

You better hope something happens to me, otherwise , I am coming after you once I get down.

Oh so much bullshit!!

Your claim was you could get down 30 feet with 5 feet of rope.

Don't change your own rules now.

if you got 12 cords inside a rope then I could use 3 of them to hold a body weight . That will give me @ 4 sets of 5 meter tied up togehter.

That is 20 meter or 60 feet. Now , I am not going to tied all there cords togehter on one tie like what you did but alternate the knots 6 inches apart. That means the first knot will reach the ATC or the biner set 6 inches ahead of #2 and #3 knot which should make it easier to pass thur the rap device.

I guess you never thought about that or did you ?

will see

Gmburns2000

May 13, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #36 of 145 (3993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, Majid? Are you there? Hellooo?

Guys, I'm not sure he made it.Frown

Partner angry

May 13, 2008, 5:44 PM
Post #37 of 145 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did think of that Majid. In fact, I thought of it first.

This is the way twisted ropes (non-climbing) are put together. Hell the ancient people did this by hand with yucca or hemp. It truly is best to spread out the connection points.

However, your claim in the equallette thread was

majid_sabet wrote:
Keep your cash dude cause I could take that 5 feet of rope rip it apart and rap 30 feet of distance with it if I get stuck in a situation while people like you call 911 for help.

A meter is a little more than 3 times the length of a foot. You cannot use them interchangably.

My 11mm maxim rope had 13 strands inside. We need to travel down 30 feet with those 13 strands. This is according to your own specifications.

30 divided by 5 is 6. This is simple math. That means in order to travel 30 feet down the rock we need to rap on pairs of 2 strands each. There will be one left over strand.

We already have problems because knots take up distance, putting us under the 30 feet already. I'm willing to ignore that. Now to stagger the knots on each and every strand would take up even more of the strands that we are already short on.

You're running out of rope Majid.

Now if we follow what you just said

majid wrote:
if you got 12 cords inside a rope then I could use 3 of them to hold a body weight . That will give me @ 4 sets of 5 meter tied up togehter.

But change it to the original foot (12 inches) specification then we will have 4 sets of 3 strands with one left over. At 5 feet per set that gets us 20 feet down the rock.

Most people will survive a 10 foot fall, but you hardly got safely to the ground.

roy_hinkley_jr

May 13, 2008, 5:51 PM
Post #38 of 145 (3967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Now to the actual rap.

Lets ignore distance knots use, and say that 5 feet of rope will make 30 feet of double strands. That means it will need to be tied to the anchor and you'll rap is as a single line and pass knots.

Standard setup

Angry fails to make his case: That is merely testing a scenario that is so obviously wrong that the conclusion was inevitable. A better way to increase friction with thin line is multiple wraps around a cylinder (ever go sailing?). Repeat your test with 10, 15, 20 wraps around the carabiner. No Munter nonsense to snag knots.

Partner angry

May 13, 2008, 6:02 PM
Post #39 of 145 (3951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Roy,

Be my guest. With no more than a handfull of biners you need to rap in control past several knots while in control off of 2 strands of core material.

Your rope will break. I promise.

WVUCLMBR

May 13, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #40 of 145 (3942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is getting good......hold on a second guys.....................................................................

Ok, popcorn is done.......please continue.

(This post was edited by WVUCLMBR on May 13, 2008, 6:07 PM)

majid_sabet

May 13, 2008, 6:09 PM
Post #41 of 145 (3935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry

What is your personal problem with this setup

is it

A- The distance
B- The friction?

Gmburns2000

May 13, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #42 of 145 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

And let's not forget about tying knots at the end so you don't rap off the ends of your rop...strands.Tongue

But seriously, I think this was a good test, as I've thought of this as an end-all action to take if I had no other options. But even then, I'd still try to find as many other ways as possible before I cut my rope up. Seriously, once you do that, there's no going back. I'd much rather sit for a couple of days without food or water with a healthy rope thinking of what to do next than break apart my most useful piece of equipment. There has to be a way to get out of a situation without tearing apart your rope. I mean, you got to that point, right? Surely you can get somewhere else. There's a reason why we Mainers say "you can't get theah from heah" as a joke. If you're stuck where you are, get to another location and keep moving until you aren't stuck any more. That may not be easy, and may require several trials and errors, but there has to be a solution somewhere.

Nice work Angry.

austin.timm

May 13, 2008, 6:14 PM
Post #43 of 145 (3924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
trophy!

Oh hell yeah! The man really came around on this one...Wink

irregularpanda

May 13, 2008, 6:15 PM
Post #44 of 145 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Angry

is it

A- The distance
B- The friction?

If you read what he said..... its both. And the fact that the strands don't hold up to multiple rappels. And your math.

An interesting point was roy hinkleys (i think) about doing multiple wraps around a biner instead of a munter to increase friction.

majid_sabet

Post #45 of 145 (3921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
angry wrote:

And let's not forget about tying knots at the end so you don't rap off the ends of your rop...strands.Tongue

But seriously, I think this was a good test, as I've thought of this as an end-all action to take if I had no other options. But even then, I'd still try to find as many other ways as possible before I cut my rope up. Seriously, once you do that, there's no going back. I'd much rather sit for a couple of days without food or water with a healthy rope thinking of what to do next than break apart my most useful piece of equipment. There has to be a way to get out of a situation without tearing apart your rope. I mean, you got to that point, right? Surely you can get somewhere else. There's a reason why we Mainers say "you can't get theah from heah" as a joke. If you're stuck where you are, get to another location and keep moving until you aren't stuck any more. That may not be easy, and may require several trials and errors, but there has to be a solution somewhere.

Nice work Angry.

The original discussion was not about a healthy 60 meter rope but a freaking rock fall cutting your rope where you end up with short section of a rope in your hand on the ledge.

You still want to sit hopeless on a ledge waving hand for condors till their meal is ready or you want to rap?

SubPrime

Post #46 of 145 (3919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why are there rainbows shooting out of that guy's crotch? Wait, I think I saw Def Leppard do this at the Meadowlands during the '87 Hysteria tour.

irregularpanda

May 13, 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #47 of 145 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SubPrime] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SubPrime wrote:
Why are there rainbows shooting out of that guy's crotch? Wait, I think I saw Def Leppard do this at the Meadowlands during the '87 Hysteria tour.

The drummer from def leppard's only got one arm!

majid_sabet

May 13, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #48 of 145 (3915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Bluejays debunked, Majid-Busters!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Angry

is it

A- The distance
B- The friction?

If you read what he said..... its both. And the fact that the strands don't hold up to multiple rappels. And your math.

An interesting point was roy hinkleys (i think) about doing multiple wraps around a biner instead of a munter to increase friction.

I never said this will do multi rap. Any one with a little IQ knows that.

You guys are taking this in a wrong direction.This SOL was for one time use as the last resource and not to rap off ELCAP

come on guys

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 13, 2008, 6:19 PM)

irregularpanda

May 13, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #49 of 145 (3908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you should read the bluejay scenario.
The naked ornithologist is more than one rappel off the ground, for one. And for two, he is using an ATC, not a modified rescue 8.

I'm curious by the way, is this bungee cord?

Gmburns2000

May 13, 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #50 of 145 (3902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Nice work Angry.

The original discussion was not about a healthy 60 meter rope but a freaking rock fall cutting your rope where you end up with short section of a rope in your hand on the ledge.

You still want to sit hopeless on a ledge waving hand for condors till their meal is ready or you want to rap?

OK, so I didn't get the original topic. My bad, sorry about that. But my point remains the same; rapping is not the only alternative. You've got gear on you, right? Plug it and move. If there are no pro opportunities, move until you find some. I'm not saying it is easy, I'm just saying that rapping isn't the only solution, even if you you've only got five feet of rope available. There has to be something nearby, or else how did you get there in the first place?

I wouldn't wait for the condors to eat me. I'd play dead and catch them when they flew in for a meal, break their necks and eat them raw off the bone. PirateGrrrrrr...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook