RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Jun 30, 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1133 views)
Shortcut

Finally healed!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For the past 3 months I have not been climbing due to a ruptured pulley in my right hand (ring finger area). When it initially occurred, I felt a sharp twinge in the injured area but shrugged it off and kept climbing for about 5 minutes until a sharp pain shot from near my elbow all the way to my dam finger.

My outlook was optimistic to begin with, thinking I would only be out for 4-5 days, maybe a few weeks max. Turns out 3 months have gone by and I wasnt able to even touch the rock til yesterday!!

Yesterday was D-day for me, the first day of the rest of my life. Even after 3 months I could still feel the injured area, although it didnt hurt much if at all. I said "fuck it". I pondered a "what if question". What if I found that my finger was still useless, or that it hadnt healed for shit? A brief wave of depression hit me along with a hot flash and a nauseating feeling.

Now I have only been climbing seriously for a year, and for something to hit me that hard was devastating. I have fallen head over healhook in love with climbing and it doesnt seem to be diminishing. Well, I got out there and decided to do some yoga/meditation for about 30 minutes to make sure nothing would hinder me and I could truly deduce the severity of the injury. I warmed up on some V0's which went well. So I finally got to business and hopped on a burly V4 that I had flashed prior. Started out, matched, locked the knee bar and shot for the top of the inverted flake...

Nothing....nothing but pure satisfaction, as I felt no pain or hindrance stemming from my injury. I climbed all day long, flashed a couple v5s and freesoloed two 5.7s only 25-30 feet off the ground. I cant explain to you the feeling that came with the realization that I could continue climbing at my previous or even higher difficulty. The only way I could even come close to conveying the feeling is if you too have experienced a debilitating injury and recovered to find yourself climbing at your previous level or greater. Pure elation, exuberance, euphoria, whatever you wanna call it. I was stoked.

Thanks for all the support that I have received from this site. I did a lot of research on similar injuries through forums here, and have retained a good deal of knowledge regarding rehabilitation and injury assessment. You guys sure are full of pertinent knowledge and most have no qualms about sharing this. Thanks again, I now can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My condolences to all who are currently injured and cant climb, I feel your pain (mentally, not physically), keep your hopes up and dont quit. If anything, I have learned how important climbing is to me. Not that I ever did, but I will make sure never to take it for granted.

UNTIL NEXT CLIMB.......

onceahardman

Jun 30, 2008, 2:57 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Finally healed!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad you are doing well.

A couple questions:

Were you getting professional guidance/PT/hand therapist?

If not, how did you decide this was d-day? Did you just go for it, or had you reached some personal benchmark?

Again, congrats.

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Jun 30, 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Finally healed!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine is a physical therapist, she said surgery could take a while to heal and recommended that I just do light physical rehab, I just used a squishy ball (dont know tech. term)

Yea, I just decided saturday was the day as a group of my friends were going to Enchanted rock for some kick-ass bouldering, I couldnt resist.

Thanks for the concern.

UNTIL NEXT CLIMB......

boulderer420

Jul 1, 2008, 9:05 PM
Post #4 of 5 (956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Finally healed!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mecalekahi-mekahidyho wrote:
I climbed all day long, flashed a couple v5s and freesoloed two 5.7s only 25-30 feet off the ground.

Hmmm, I must have missed the flashing of V5's.....and I'd put those 5.7's more between 15-20 feet. But it was nice to have you out climbing again. Now if you can just get away from work and the girlfriend maybe you can start flashing v5's Tongue

mrswix

Jul 3, 2008, 1:36 AM
Post #5 of 5 (914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderer420] Finally healed!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here here!

I was just injured 2 weeks ago and I can't wait to be in your place. I have the same feelings with climbing and I'm literally forcing myself to stay off the rock.

Although I do occasionally grab the top of my door frames walking around my house daydreaming of the day I return... :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook