Forums: Community: Campground:
Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Jul 8, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #26 of 44 (710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PTFTW!!!

Partner camhead

Jul 8, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #27 of 44 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I carpool.

Partner camhead

Jul 8, 2008, 3:28 PM
Post #28 of 44 (704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and ride my bike everywhere in the city.

Partner camhead

Jul 8, 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #29 of 44 (702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so that I can still spend money for gas on climbing trips.

sungam

Jul 8, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #30 of 44 (694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A cunning plan. I bike everywhere in the village and have no car, which helps me save money even more!!!

pbnjonny

Jul 8, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #31 of 44 (686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I tend not to drive to the crags by myself anymore, I usually carpool with friends that have more fuel efficient cars. Most weekend trips are down to the New or to Seneca, both 3.5-4 hour drives. Which in a jeep wrangler now gets pretty expensive, and it saves me a good bit of money to carpool. (444 miles /20 mpg at best = 22.2 gallons * $4 = $88.8 round trip to the New).

slablizard

Jul 8, 2008, 8:26 PM
Post #32 of 44 (668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
Its not about what you drive but HOW you drive...

I can get my little 1500cc to the crag and back (250km's/three hours one way) for under $50nz.

Then we usually car pool up... 50 / 4 = $12.50 each to go climbing... well worth the price.

Sure...try to hypermile on a ford 250 extended....Laugh

brewer19

Jul 8, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #33 of 44 (663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.
Gas here is still 4 times what you pay.

It's only about double now, and most of that is tax.
no, it's like quadruple still.mind the exchange rate and the l to gallon thingy.

no, it's about £1.15 a liter in Edinburgh, and by my calculations that is around £4.35 for a US gallon, roughly $8.60

the price in Philadelphia right now is about $4.20, so it's closer to double.

you might be paying a bit more up north but I don't think you're up to £2.25/Liter yet.

Myxomatosis

Jul 8, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #34 of 44 (657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:

I can get my little 1500cc to the crag and back (250km's/three hours one way) for under $50nz.

Then we usually car pool up... 50 / 4 = $12.50 each to go climbing... well worth the price.

You got a long board... tie a rope to your mates tow bar and you get there for free LaughLaugh

Not to sure what kind of condition you will be in tho Tongue

sungam

Jul 8, 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #35 of 44 (654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brewer19] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

no, it's like quadruple still.mind the exchange rate and the l to gallon thingy.

no, it's about £1.15 a liter in Edinburgh, and by my calculations that is around £4.35 for a US gallon, roughly $8.60

you might be paying a bit more up north but I don't think you're up to £2.25/Liter yet.
Out here in the middle of nowhere we pay niegh on 2 quid a litre and where my GF is in NC, she's paying 4.07 bucks, so it's nearing there by the info I was running on :). shoulda thouht about where I was, though.

slablizard

Jul 9, 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #36 of 44 (643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
slablizard wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:

You got a long board... tie a rope to your mates tow bar and you get there for free LaughLaugh

Not to sure what kind of condition you will be in tho Tongue

Me coming back from Tahoe...about 70 MPH

Myxomatosis

Jul 9, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #37 of 44 (633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice pic lizard Tongue

Personally I think we should go back to horse's.... Pick up a old one from the cat food factory for cheap ($150? my mates dad couldn't give one away a few months ago!!!) and how much food does it really eat in a year compared to petrol in a car?

You wouldn't need to transport it around anywhere, as it is the transport.

We all got barns (a garage) the only up keep would be cleaning up the shit... but could be sold off as fertilizer.

curt

Jul 9, 2008, 2:41 AM
Post #38 of 44 (632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

Out here in the middle of nowhere we pay niegh on 2 quid a litre and where my GF is in NC, she's paying 4.07 bucks, so it's nearing there by the info I was running on :). shoulda thouht about where I was, though.

Holy shit, that's expensive. I was in London about a month ago and prices briefly went up to 1.31 pounds/liter--which is around $10/gallon. I thought that was bad enough.

Curt

sungam

Jul 9, 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #39 of 44 (619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
sungam wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

Holy shit, that's expensive. I was in London about a month ago and prices briefly went up to 1.31 pounds/liter--which is around $10/gallon. I thought that was bad enough.

Curt
Well, what can I say. It's the middle of the highlands (which for some reason is an excuse to hike the prices on EVERYTHING) and the petrol station has a monopoly.
Oh, and most of the people that drive through here are tourists (read: suckerz).

kyote321

Jul 9, 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #40 of 44 (616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldandintheway] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

where are the electric cars and why is the government suppressing them? the technology and desire are there. even if only for commuting.

thomasribiere

Jul 9, 2008, 8:16 PM
Post #41 of 44 (606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes it has. And ecological concerns as well. And tendonitis too.

shorty

Jul 9, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #42 of 44 (598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Going to Italy tomorrow, so I'd have to answer a resounding "No." Tongue
Dude -- you suck. But anyway, enjoy the climbing. Climbing overseas is a trip you'll never forget. Just remember one thing about limestone / dolomite towers -- if the hold is big and sharp, you probably don't want to use it (it may be a "portable" hand hold). If the hold is small, polished, and greasy -- that's the one you should use.

As for those of us remaining State-side, high gas costs aren't helping with my crag development. Add to that the increasing costs of drill bits and SS bolts, new bolted pitches can cost me as much as $150 or $200.

New trad routes are looking better and better.

Partner macherry

Jul 9, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #43 of 44 (597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shorty wrote:
reno wrote:
Going to Italy tomorrow, so I'd have to answer a resounding "No." Tongue
Dude -- you suck. But anyway, enjoy the climbing. Climbing overseas is a trip you'll never forget. Just remember one thing about limestone / dolomite towers -- if the hold is big and sharp, you probably don't want to use it (it may be a "portable" hand hold). If the hold is small, polished, and greasy -- that's the one you should use.

As for those of us remaining State-side, high gas costs aren't helping with my crag development. Add to that the increasing costs of drill bits and SS bolts, new bolted pitches can cost me as much as $150 or $200.

New trad routes are looking better and better.

if you let people know where the crag that won't be name is located, you could put up a donation boxWink

shorty

Jul 9, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #44 of 44 (591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
if you let people know where the crag that won't be name is located, you could put up a donation boxWink
Good point, marge. But I can just see it now, when someone wanders across the donation box, broken open by a crazed bull elk during the rut:

"Du-u-ude, check this out. It's like booty for the taking -- bolts, hangers, and dollar bills. Maybe some looser will buy the hardware from us, then we are so going to the strip club for some beers."

In reality, the gas and hardware costs are only the tip of the iceberg. The real investment in developing new routes is human time and effort. More than a few people are willing to help put up a sport route 2 minutes from the car, on a cliff that has easy access to the top of the new route. But the process gets a little more "interesting" when you're hauling ropes, rack, cleaning tools, drill, hardware, food, water, and extra clothes up a few pitches, knowing you're going to be up there all day to scratch out one new pitch.

So-o-o-o, when ya wanna road trip to this neck of the woods again and lend a hand?Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook