Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Chappy76

Sep 1, 2008, 1:25 AM
Post #1 of 27 (4528 views)
Shortcut

Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well weekend was going great. Today I was the first and only one climbing at my favorite crag. Was using my Petzl micocender. Was on my fourth climb, something told me to relax, but I didn't. Long story short, I fell 30ft! The ascender didn't catch that time due in part because it didn't self feed due to it not being weighed down. So I got a nice trip to the ER. My right wrist/hand are splinted and I have a concussion. What's worse is, since I'm Air Force, the butt chewing I'll get for going solo. My body is starting to really hurt but hey, I got good pain meds. P. s. Typing with one hand is a pain and so is wiping your butt with your non-dominant hand. I'm ready to go back out and climb when I'm all healed up.

ja1484

Sep 1, 2008, 2:14 AM
Post #2 of 27 (4499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chappy76] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much should it weigh?

Chappy76

Sep 1, 2008, 2:22 AM
Post #3 of 27 (4489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure but enough to put some tension on it? I thought the coiled up rope on the ground was enough to weigh it down, boy was I wrong.

Partner angry

Sep 1, 2008, 2:23 AM
Post #4 of 27 (4486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chappy76] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, I'm sorry you got hurt. That sucks man, hope you heal.

Second, from the first time I used a solo TR to the 100th, I always could directly look at the slack in front of me.

How did that kind of slack build up? Whether grigri, soloist, mini-trax, or micro, you have the device right in front of you and you can either watch it feed or pull rope through if it doesn't.

It feeds better when weighted (I tie the extra rope into a coil that hangs just above the ground) but this accident was due to not paying attention, not the unweighted rope.

Sorry to harsh you in your condition, I'm sure with all those pain killers you can take it.

Chappy76

Sep 1, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #5 of 27 (4472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No hard feelings. I definately wasn't watching the slack at all. Also, did your locking gate seem to come undone 2. I've heard of others taping it closed.

Partner angry

Sep 1, 2008, 2:38 AM
Post #6 of 27 (4464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not on TR but on lead it has not only come undone, but has unclipped from my belay loop and just swung out in space (I still had a backup knot). I just neurotically give it a little twist a few times every pitch now.

And tie backup knots. They give you practice stopping en route and screwing with gear and they allow you to look at your slack and manage it.

Chappy76

Sep 1, 2008, 2:50 AM
Post #7 of 27 (4452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the much needed advice. I will definately learn from this. Thanks.

moose_droppings

Sep 1, 2008, 3:12 AM
Post #8 of 27 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chappy76 wrote:
Well weekend was going great. Today I was the first and only one climbing at my favorite crag. Was using my Petzl micocender. Was on my fourth climb, something told me to relax, but I didn't. Long story short, I fell 30ft! The ascender didn't catch that time due in part because it didn't self feed due to it not being weighed down. So I got a nice trip to the ER. My right wrist/hand are splinted and I have a concussion. What's worse is, since I'm Air Force, the butt chewing I'll get for going solo. My body is starting to really hurt but hey, I got good pain meds. P. s. Typing with one hand is a pain and so is wiping your butt with your non-dominant hand. I'm ready to go back out and climb when I'm all healed up.

Way sorry to hear this. Well its going to be some time, but sounds like you'll mend up, and that part is good.

Hard to believe that much rope can build up with out noticing. It definitely will not catch if rope isn't sliding through it going up. I wonder if the practice of putting a backup knot in your system would of let you seen that it wasn't feeding in time to keep you from decking?

Guess this another call to everyone to double check your setups.

Thanks for posting up.

Edit:
Didn't see that angry covered the knot thought.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Sep 1, 2008, 3:16 AM)

ja1484

Sep 1, 2008, 3:14 AM
Post #9 of 27 (4435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chappy76 wrote:
Not sure but enough to put some tension on it? I thought the coiled up rope on the ground was enough to weigh it down, boy was I wrong.

Never mind. I'm losing my edge.

moose_droppings

Sep 1, 2008, 3:22 AM
Post #10 of 27 (4429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
Chappy76 wrote:

Never mind. I'm losing my edge.

Naw, I caught it.Wink

I just remembered another guy posted he almost screwed the pooch because he had rigged the device (rescucender) with the retainer cable over the rope, keeping it from feeding. Could this of been a possibility?

majid_sabet

Sep 1, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #11 of 27 (4409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tie short

zeke_sf

Sep 1, 2008, 5:08 AM
Post #12 of 27 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've definitely done unplanned soloing for several different reasons while using a solo TR system. I've managed to catch my mistakes before anything terrible happened, but your story is definitely a cautionary tale. The biggest thing about having a belayer is that you have an extra pair of hands, pair of eyes, and (hopefully) an extra brain on your side; be careful and double-check your system when doing solo TRing.

Good luck on the mend, Chappy!

coolcat83

Sep 1, 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #13 of 27 (4277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just switched to a microcender for soloing, I've gotten my self into the habit of checking the slack often, I clip my boots to the line and it has so far worked well. I've been using it with a belay master biner, i played with it falling in all different ways close to the ground and it's pretty much impossible to make it crossload (with the microcender on the small end of the biner), the other benefit is that the plastic keeper snaps over the screwgate so it can't unscrew. plus you can't lock the keeper unless the gate is locked to begin with, so it's sort of a automatic reminder to lock the gate. first few times i backed it up with a ropeman above the microcender, now i that i trust it(as much as could be expected anyway) if the pitch is less than half a rope length i just tie backup knots in the other half, if longer i use the ropeman backup, it rodes fairly well above the microcender (clipped to a short sling girthed to my harness) and doesn't get in the way.

Partner bear829

Sep 3, 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #14 of 27 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe if you got the business in front and party in back you wouldn't have fallen so hard. hehehehe. I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh, and I know that its really bad of me. I do feel bad that you did get hurt though. Did you get an air splint or ridgid? And what grade level did your concussion land at? I always hated getting those too. I've had 14. How I don't have brain damage is amazing. Well, depends on who you ask ;) Poor thing. Get better soon.

Chappy76

Sep 3, 2008, 6:44 PM
Post #15 of 27 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear829] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a rigid splint for now, waiting to see what the radioligist says. If I would have had the mullet rockin, I probably would have glided down while singing "Wheel in the sky".haha

healyje

Sep 3, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #16 of 27 (4056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bummer - but yeah, lead or TR, you have to watch the device like a hawk when free climbing. I basically do a momentary glance before each sequence of moves and sometimes even move-by-move under some circumstances. It's easy to get ahead of yourself and not notice things are going awry.

skinner

Sep 3, 2008, 7:04 PM
Post #17 of 27 (4052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear829] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bear829 wrote:
..what grade level did your concussion land at? I always hated getting those too. I've had 14. How I don't have brain damage is amazing. Well, depends on who you ask ;).

Yikes.. I'm sorry, but I have to ask, htf does one go about getting 14 concussions? (You should consider contacting Guinness, it has to be a record of some sort!)
Unsure

chadnsc

Sep 3, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #18 of 27 (4034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bear829 wrote:
And what grade level did your concussion land at? I always hated getting those too. I've had 14. How I don't have brain damage is amazing.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. At least it explains a few things about you. Tongue

milesenoell

Sep 3, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #19 of 27 (4029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was 16 I got three concussions in one summer. But that's only part of what I had to say.

Weight your rope with a nalgene bottle. They're heavy, bullet-proof, big enough to keep the clove hitch you clipped the bottle in with off the rock, and you can pull the water up to you after a particularly ragin' pitch. Using gear, packs, shoes or the rope puts abrasive wear on things you care about, so just let the nalgene take the abuse.

Partner bear829

Sep 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #20 of 27 (3964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Make sure to weigh the end of rope when using microcender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How does one get so many concussions? I used to figure skate and play hockey. The boards were definately not my friends. I was a defenseman and craptacular goalie. I also jumped about four feet into the air on my jumps. I'm still trying to figure out how the tiny girls can get in all their rotations when they're only getting a foot off the ice. lol

Chappy76

Sep 4, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you don't like being ridden on the boards? HahahaShocked

Partner bear829

Sep 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #22 of 27 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know it baby! lol But I like it on a stretcher better. They have built in straps. muahahaha

Chappy76

Sep 7, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #23 of 27 (3810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being tied up with the psych straps are better!!!!! hahahaha

Partner bear829

Sep 8, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #24 of 27 (3725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope that you are talking the leather ones. The ones break too easily. lol

billcoe_

Sep 8, 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #25 of 27 (3677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chappy76 wrote:

should we also tie into the end of the rope?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook