Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

rtwilli4

Sep 9, 2008, 3:54 AM
Post #1 of 237 (6455 views)
Shortcut

Do you wear "climbing clothes"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you wear special clothes to climb? I mean the really expensive clothes that make you climb better. I climb in Thailand most of the time, and whenever I come back here I can't help but laugh at the guy who has a brand new pair of Prana pants for every day of the week.

Now, I understand if your big walling, ice or alpine... sure, you need to wear some stuff that is gonna hold up and let you breath, etc. But come on, at a sport crag? Why the hell does it matter what you wear? As long as you can move, why do you have to have $$ pants. More importantly, why not spend your money on gas or gear that saves your life... or some instruction on how to not scream beta and not step on my rope. And if you really have enough money to buy all that stuff that the pro's wear (they get it free guys), then you should probably quit your job and climb more. If you STILL have money left over, then help finish the purchase of the Pendergrass-Murry Reserve, Quees Creek, or one of the thousand or so climbing areas that will be gone before I die.

Sorry, just kind of weird. To me if you have money to spend on climbing, you use it to climb more. Not $70 pairs of pants and $30 beenies.

So... what do you wear when the weather is good??

time2clmb

Sep 9, 2008, 4:06 AM
Post #2 of 237 (6442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh fer fuck sakes. Yeah another "I am so miffed about what other people are wearing thread". Climb more and stop worrying about what people are wearing.

chossmonkey

Sep 9, 2008, 4:11 AM
Post #3 of 237 (6428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Do you wear special clothes to climb? I mean the really expensive clothes that make you climb better. I climb in Thailand most of the time, and whenever I come back here I can't help but laugh at the guy who has a brand new pair of Prana pants for every day of the week.

Now, I understand if your big walling, ice or alpine... sure, you need to wear some stuff that is gonna hold up and let you breath, etc. But come on, at a sport crag? Why the hell does it matter what you wear? As long as you can move, why do you have to have $$ pants. More importantly, why not spend your money on gas or gear that saves your life... or some instruction on how to not scream beta and not step on my rope. And if you really have enough money to buy all that stuff that the pro's wear (they get it free guys), then you should probably quit your job and climb more. If you STILL have money left over, then help finish the purchase of the Pendergrass-Murry Reserve, Quees Creek, or one of the thousand or so climbing areas that will be gone before I die.

Sorry, just kind of weird. To me if you have money to spend on climbing, you use it to climb more. Not $70 pairs of pants and $30 beenies.

So... what do you wear when the weather is good??
I were $90 baggy jeans.

My $40 t-shirt works well for wiping my feet before I climb.

climbsomething

Sep 9, 2008, 4:27 AM
Post #4 of 237 (6408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I wear "climbing clothes." Sometimes just to piss off the DURRRbots in their pegged Carhartts and Goodwill man-blouses.

This weekend I went to teh sport crag in $100 techy pants and an old pitted-out T-shirt with the logo of a local brewery. Even though I'm a halfassed boulderer who drinks pink martinis.

I'm a walking contradiction and I ain't got no right.

jakedatc

Sep 9, 2008, 4:39 AM
Post #5 of 237 (6386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Yes, I wear "climbing clothes." Sometimes just to piss off the DURRRbots in their pegged Carhartts and Goodwill man-blouses.

This weekend I went to teh sport crag in $100 techy pants and an old pitted-out T-shirt with the logo of a local brewery. Even though I'm a halfassed boulderer who drinks pink martinis.

I'm a walking contradiction and I ain't got no right.

but we love ya anyway... despite the froofy pink drinks ;)

i wear usually light weight 3/4 length pants or prana/TNF pants rolled up (get your pants snagged on your shoe during a heel hook or high step on lead and you will roll your cuffs up too) I gave up cotton shirts for doing sports stuff.. wicking breathable "performance" fabric shirts all the way. Find them on clearance (or super discount when i worked at EMS)

OP.. does what other people wear hurt you? that's sad.

currupt4130

Sep 9, 2008, 4:49 AM
Post #6 of 237 (6367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Typically I don't even climb with a shirt unless it's below 50ish. Other than that I have some shorts I like to climb in, but shit, they're surf brand... Probably because I surf too.

Chappy76

Sep 9, 2008, 4:50 AM
Post #7 of 237 (6361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear Wal-Mart's version of UnderArmour shirts. 6 bucks and they are actually more comfortable, well at least to me. Plus, they are just going to get messed up so why would I spend the money on the expensive stuff. Now shoes and safety gear are a whole different story.

shockabuku

Sep 9, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #8 of 237 (6341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I have a $150 pair of shoes that I wear to go climbing. Oh, and yes, I have the rest of the clothes too. Just like I buy good gear, I buy good clothing, and since it's my money I do what I like with it, just as you apparently do with yours. One use is as valid as the other.

I suppose you're a damn Republican/Democrat. Take your pick, they both like to tell me what to do with my money.

rtwilli4

Sep 9, 2008, 5:10 AM
Post #9 of 237 (6340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OP.. does what other people wear hurt you? that's sad.

na it doesn't really bother me i was (and still am) just bored. I know everyone can where what they want and it shouldn't bother the rest of us.

Just a commentary on how even climbers get wrapped up in irresponsible consumerism.

the_leech

Sep 9, 2008, 5:10 AM
Post #10 of 237 (6338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
WAAAHHHHH!!!

You're poor.

And bitter.

And can't buy nice things.

That sucks.

I know how it is. I've been there before.

You'll feel better once you upgrade your socioeconomic status.

rtwilli4

Sep 9, 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #11 of 237 (6333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
WAAAHHHHH!!!

You're poor.

And bitter.

And can't buy nice things.

That sucks.

I know how it is. I've been there before.

You'll feel better once you upgrade your socioeconomic status.

I'm poor... and I'm better off that way. I'm certainly not bitter... just aggravated when I see how much money people spend... on anything, not just clothes.

I really don't plan on upgrading my "socioeconomic status" any time soon. Haven't paid taxes in over a year and don't see a reason for that to change.

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Sep 9, 2008, 5:15 AM)

donald949

Sep 9, 2008, 5:17 AM
Post #12 of 237 (6330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryeveezy wrote:
avid climbing is a new climbing apparel company who is offering sponsorships to 10 ppl who think theyve got what it takes to be sponsored. go to avidclimbing.com for more info

NEVER LET UP!

I was trying to get avid to send me some of their dope shit panz, but alas they didn't.

So I wear whatever I've picked up at Walmart/Target.
Unsure

rtwilli4

Sep 9, 2008, 5:55 AM
Post #13 of 237 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Yes, I have a $150 pair of shoes that I wear to go climbing. Oh, and yes, I have the rest of the clothes too. Just like I buy good gear, I buy good clothing, and since it's my money I do what I like with it, just as you apparently do with yours. One use is as valid as the other.

I suppose you're a damn Republican/Democrat. Take your pick, they both like to tell me what to do with my money.

it's a waste of time to be either one of those.

asiaclimber

Sep 9, 2008, 6:06 AM
Post #14 of 237 (6297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wear Prana clothes because i like the fact that most of the stuff is organic cotton poly blend, it's comfortable and cut well for climbing, i like the way it looks and because i can buy last years designs for the price of regular clothing. i also don't own any clothes i don't climb in.

rtwilli4

Sep 9, 2008, 6:09 AM
Post #15 of 237 (6292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asiaclimber] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

asiaclimber wrote:
i wear Prana clothes because i like the fact that most of the stuff is organic cotton poly blend, it's comfortable and cut well for climbing, i like the way it looks and because i can buy last years designs for the price of regular clothing. i also don't own any clothes i don't climb in.

i like that answer

timd

Sep 9, 2008, 8:10 AM
Post #16 of 237 (6255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Concentrate less on what people are wearing and concentrate more on your spelling.

PatMcGinn

Sep 9, 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #17 of 237 (6204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timd] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatevers comfortable and doesn't get in the way of my feet for pants and for shirts (who cares?)

brownie710

Sep 9, 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #18 of 237 (6200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nope.
i'd rather spend my cash on cams and ropes

i wear whatever, cotton, synth, i rarely do backcountry climbing so the car is usually 30 minutes away at most. i'm married so i don't need to impress the ladiesWink

tb69hikeclimb

Sep 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #19 of 237 (6194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear a one piece skin tight suit made from "sticky rubber". It allows me to throw myself at the rock and stick to it. I can then undgulate up the face like a giant black slug. I must admit it does have some draw backs... I once got stuck in an off width and had to have a partner lower some vasaline and a giant nut tool down to me so I could get unstuck.Tongue

jmvc

Sep 9, 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #20 of 237 (6192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tb69hikeclimb] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tb69hikeclimb wrote:
I wear a one piece skin tight suit made from "sticky rubber". It allows me to throw myself at the rock and stick to it. I can then undgulate up the face like a giant black slug. I must admit it does have some draw backs... I once got stuck in an off width and had to have a partner lower some vasaline and a giant nut tool down to me so I could get unstuck.Tongue

LOL!

OP, I more or less agree with you, although I do own one pair of decathlon brand climbing shorts (25 euros I seem to remember), and they certainly are comfortable. They don't make me climb any harder though Wink

timd

Sep 9, 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #21 of 237 (6185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tb69hikeclimb] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tb69hikeclimb wrote:

Kinky

rhythm164

Sep 9, 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #22 of 237 (6156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
As long as you can move, why do you have to have $$ pants.

how ya gonna get laid without $$ pants? seriously though, it sort of depends on the area. the local crag that we go to on the weekend, the 'approach' is about a 3 minute walk up a paved road, any shirt will do. for some of the areas up in the Adirondacks, the appraoches can be pretty long and sweaty, so yea, at least a Capilene shirt or something helps you stay comfortable all day.

Partner lwilson

Sep 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #23 of 237 (6147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I'll bite....

Yes, I do wear "climbing clothes", when I am not climbing and when I am climbing. When I have to go to work, well then that's a different story. I turn old work clothes into "climbing clothes" as well. So why buy expensive "climbing clothes"? Cause I found them on a great sale, they fit my big hips and bubble butt, and I still have money left over to give to the Red, Farley Ledge, and Al Hospers who runs NEClimbs.com.

And why does it make a difference if I like to put on crampons, freeze my ass off, and hike up iced-over scree to climb a piece of beautiful ice? Does that make me more privileged to wear these brands? Just curious.

sungam

Sep 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #24 of 237 (6145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only own 3 paits of jeans and "climbing clothes" so unless I wanna wear jeans...
Oh, I also wear my Marmot M3 trousers to work. They look good as suit trousers, no one ever notices.
Very comfy.

sungam

Sep 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #25 of 237 (6145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Do you wear "climbing clothes" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
ryeveezy wrote:
avid climbing is a new climbing apparel company who is offering sponsorships to 10 ppl who think theyve got what it takes to be sponsored. go to avidclimbing.com for more info

NEVER LET UP!

I was trying to get avid to send me some of their dope shit panz, but alas they didn't.

So I wear whatever I've picked up at Walmart/Target.
Unsure
I laughed, man. That whole thing was funny.
NEVER LET UP.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook