Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

redneck

Sep 28, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 37 (5644 views)
Shortcut

the importance of anchors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

this accident happened to me canyoneering but a valuable lesson can be learned from it. i went to set up an anchor for a rappel nobody double checked that i did it right. i ended up falling 15 feet and spraining my ankle. the problem was a failed anchor. so lesson learned when setting up top ropes. double cheak your anchors. i take pride in free climbing routes but theres no point in risking the life of my unexperienced friends.

shockabuku

Sep 28, 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #2 of 37 (5634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redneck] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:
this accident happened to me canyoneering but a valuable lesson can be learned from it. i went to set up an anchor for a rappel nobody double checked that i did it right. i ended up falling 15 feet and spraining my ankle. the problem was a failed anchor. so lesson learned when setting up top ropes. double cheak your anchors. i take pride in free climbing routes but theres no point in risking the life of my unexperienced friends.

Good choice of name by the way.

sungam

Sep 28, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #3 of 37 (5614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:
Maybe a little more information on the anchor and why/how it failed could help others avoid this outcome, or worse.

alleyehave

Sep 29, 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #4 of 37 (5564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:

Yeah, problem is, I gotta wait for my second to come up and check it. uhh.... I think the better message here would be, know what the fck you're doing before doing it.

sungam

Sep 29, 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #5 of 37 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alleyehave] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
redneck wrote:

Yeah, problem is, I gotta wait for my second to come up and check it. uhh.... I think the better message here would be, know what the fck you're doing before doing it.
Rude but right.

time2clmb

Sep 29, 2008, 2:05 AM
Post #6 of 37 (5497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:

It kind of comes across that you are laying blame on your anchor not being double checked by some one else. If you need some one to double check on your setup, then chances are you are pretty green. The problem here is that you need to know what you are doing before you start pissing around by yourself with anchors. Your right, there is absolutely no point in risking the life of your unexperienced friends. Please please please get competent in the skills before taking out more begginers.

Thanks for posting this. It takes balls to post up an error on a public message board open for the hounds to attack. Not many people are willing to do that, so good for you.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 29, 2008, 2:23 AM
Post #7 of 37 (5472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for posting despite knowing you'd get insulted for being honest. Some details on what was wrong with the anchor could help others.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

coolcat83

Sep 29, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #8 of 37 (5459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

details would be good, some of those canyon anchors look pretty sketchy. most of the time when climbing you don't have someone to double check your placements and anchors, you learn and have it wired before you go and do it for real.

i_h8_choss

Sep 29, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #9 of 37 (5412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cmon. some people anchor of a #2.

majid_sabet

Sep 29, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #10 of 37 (5384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about others but this was a great information, thanks a lot man. we could learn so much if everyone like yourself remind us what to look for while setting up anchors.

god bless you and thanks again.

redneck

Sep 29, 2008, 4:22 PM
Post #11 of 37 (5304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this anchor was a clove hich anch used for canyoneering. the reason it failed was due to the fact that i was not paying attention. i had built several other anchors that day but lost focus on this one. the reason for double cheaking is because i was in a large group and this is a good example of what can happen when you get too confident and don't pay attention.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 29, 2008, 4:38 PM
Post #12 of 37 (5287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:
this anchor was a clove hich anch used for canyoneering. the reason it failed was due to the fact that i was not paying attention. i had built several other anchors that day but lost focus on this one. the reason for double cheaking is because i was in a large group and this is a good example of what can happen when you get too confident and don't pay attention.

Thanks for the reply, but it has left me guessing at what you mean. Is it this? You tied the rappel line (2 strands) to the anchor with a clove hitch, but the hitch was tied incorrectly? I'm not trying to find out about your mental laxity, but what was the actual physical status of the anchoring procedure that caused the failure.

Cheers,

Rob.calm

shimanilami

Sep 29, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #13 of 37 (5270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. You set up a top-rop anchor, went to rappel off of it, it failed and you fell 15 feet.

15 feet.

You were setting up a top-rope anchor for a climb 15 feet tall.

And then you went to rap off it.

And your anchor failed.

And you fell 15 feet.

I am speechless.

kaykogi

Sep 29, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #14 of 37 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wrong. He said CANYONEERING. That means he wasn't CLIMBING. A lot of the bolts and old glue-in anchors are sketchy and people with little or no experience CANYONEERING just assume that they are safe. I can't tell you how many times I have been stuck behind some guy with a length of rope and a harness that thinks he knows everything about canyoneering because he's been climbing before. If people are going to go and try canyoneering, please go get trained. The American Canyoneering Association offers courses. (http://www.canyoneering.net/...ex.php?categoryid=54)

sungam

Sep 29, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #15 of 37 (5246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:
I meant what was the gear involved, not who messed up.
Like, what did the anchor consist of? Trad gear? bolts? a tree?
Did you just mis-tie the clove hitch?

jdefazio

Sep 29, 2008, 5:45 PM
Post #16 of 37 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

Is that even possible?

curtis_g

Sep 29, 2008, 5:54 PM
Post #17 of 37 (5184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdefazio] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdefazio wrote:
sungam wrote:

Is that even possible?

best response yet.

sungam

Sep 29, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #18 of 37 (5160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curtis_g] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
jdefazio wrote:
sungam wrote:

Is that even possible?

best response yet.
Maybe he tied it as a italian hitch?

shockabuku

Sep 29, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #19 of 37 (5139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so surprised this thread is a complete disaster!Shocked

jdefazio

Sep 29, 2008, 6:45 PM
Post #20 of 37 (5136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
jdefazio wrote:
sungam wrote:

Is that even possible?

best response yet.
Maybe he tied it as a italian hitch?

Perhaps his knot inspector was not familiar with it.

redneck

Sep 30, 2008, 2:12 AM
Post #21 of 37 (5023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdefazio] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i did just mis-tie the clove hitch and had no knot inspecter. i admit it was my fault the anchor failed but i started this thread to encourage people to make sure they know what they're doing and that someone else who knows what they're doing double cheaks the work before useing the anchor. this thread may not be practical for lead climbs but can serve its purpose for top ropeing. as for what the anchor consisted of, it was two hangers with brand new webbing and a rap ring.

suilenroc

Sep 30, 2008, 2:42 AM
Post #22 of 37 (5005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting posts... The second you stop double checking yourself is the same second you should consider choosing another activity. Accidents do happen and should be learned from, shared, and criticized. Thanks mango for taking the time to tell us all.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 30, 2008, 3:02 AM
Post #23 of 37 (4990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redneck wrote:
i did just mis-tie the clove hitch and had no knot inspecter. i admit it was my fault the anchor failed but i started this thread to encourage people to make sure they know what they're doing and that someone else who knows what they're doing double cheaks the work before useing the anchor. this thread may not be practical for lead climbs but can serve its purpose for top ropeing. as for what the anchor consisted of, it was two hangers with brand new webbing and a rap ring.

I still do not understanding this. You have a good anchor, viz., 2 hangars (presumably on bolts) new webbing and a rap ring. It's a short rappel. So the rope goes thru the rappel ring. How does any knot enter the picture?

r.c

redneck

Sep 30, 2008, 3:08 AM
Post #24 of 37 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] the importance of anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to tie a clove hitch anchor you run the rope through the rape ring and tie a clove-hitch around a spare carabiner. this fixes one side of the rope to rappel down. the other side you pull from the bottom to retrieave your rope and carabiner from the top i tied the knot wrong and it had the same effect as if i had tied into the unfixed half of the rope

sungam

Sep 30, 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #25 of 37 (4971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the future I would just put the rope through the rap ring so the halfway point is at the ring, then rappel on two strands. There's two slots in your belay plate for a reason, it's so you can do this.
Then just pull one end of the rope.
This saves you trusting your knots that need double check- though, honestly, if you need you knots double checked you shouldn't be in the canyons, unless it's with the teacher.
Especially with a knot as easy as the clove hitch.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook