New Nemo Guidebook
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

fastkite

Oct 4, 2008, 1:37 AM
Post #1 of 60 (18284 views)
Shortcut

New Nemo Guidebook  (North_America: Canada: Ontario: Golden_Horseshoe: Mount_Nemo)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am in the process of assembling a new guidebook for Mount Nemo.

The basis for this book is aerial photos & use of colour and other aids to make route selecting and finding an enjoyable activity.

I would like to collect any information about undocumented routes to properly give credit where due. Please reply to this, or send me a PM if you have any new information.

Cheers!

granite_grrl

Oct 6, 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #2 of 60 (18243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fastkite] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting....I hope this works out well for you. The old guide book is terribly hard to figure out certain lines. There are many routes in the Milton area that I have tried to climb but have no idea if I did the route (or ANY route).

Sorry that I don't have any information for you, I just want to with you luck and give this thread a bump.

chossmonkey

Oct 6, 2008, 1:58 AM
Post #3 of 60 (18234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There shouldn't be many undocumented routes since there is a moratorium on new routes.

The current book definitely could use an upgrade though.

geezergecko

Oct 6, 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #4 of 60 (18216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why stop at Nemo? How about a new guidebook for all the Milton crags (Nemo, Buffalo, Bottleglass, Rattlesnake, Kelso) and then a separate guidebook for the northern crags (Metcalfe, Baldy, Lionshead, etc.). Oh, to be able to dream...

I applaud your effort. The ambiguous descriptions in the current guidebook have lost their charm with me.

armsrforclimbing

Oct 6, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #5 of 60 (18211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a great idea. I would tread carefully though. I have heard rumors over the battles fought out in the pages of the Escarpment Guidebooks. I'm somewhat fuzzy on the details, but apparently the authors of the various guides were taking shots at each other via the FA listings in the guide. Any one know the real story? Is a forum search hopeless? Am I to wrapped up in the microcosm of Escarpment climbing?

Anyway I haven't been out there for the entire summer, so I don't have much to add.

fastkite

Oct 7, 2008, 8:16 AM
Post #6 of 60 (18178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the support.

So far my project has been received well from both the OAC and local climbers alike.

I believe the old guidebook did a good job of describing routes without the use of any visual tools. I certainly could not have done a better job.

To be completely honest, there are some routes which have taken me months to locate. The combination of high resolution ground, aerial and satellite photos combined with GPS has allowed me to find most of them. Fortunately, I have enlisted the help of an excellent professional photographer & climber (http://www.trostimages.com/) who has been successful at capturing most of the Mount Nemo walls in such a way that I can lay the routes over top.

We should be taking a few photos of Nemo this weekend (weather permitting) to put on the cover page. The hope is the leaves, visibility and light will allow for some great shots.

Some of the routes we will have to repeat in the winter when the leaves have fallen.

I have considered creating a guidebook for the rest of Milton, but as of yet, I have not started anything. I might take photos of the areas this weekend and put them aside until the winter. I have however created the basic framework for a new guide for Cape Croker/Indian Ladder, and Lions Head. Unfortunately, getting aerial photos of these areas requires a significant financial investment so this has been on hold for a while.

Cheers!

-Joe

chossmonkey

Oct 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #7 of 60 (18157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fastkite wrote:

I believe the old guidebook did a good job of describing routes without the use of any visual tools. I certainly could not have done a better job.

Not to be rude, but if you think that the current descriptions are good perhaps another person might be better for the job.

Adding pictures would help the current guide books, but I find the biggest problem with them is the shitty and or worthless route descriptions. I don't have the books with me to give you specific examples.

armsrforclimbing

Oct 7, 2008, 2:03 PM
Post #8 of 60 (18136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who will be translating from Canadian to French and English? Wink

armsrforclimbing

Oct 7, 2008, 2:07 PM
Post #9 of 60 (18133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armsrforclimbing] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, all joking aside, GPS coordinates of the starts seem to be helpful. I know that Nemo is far from wilderness climbing, but its somewhat helpful to have when you want to know if you are within 15-30 ft of the start. Consider it while you are in the planning stages.

a-e-jones

Oct 7, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #10 of 60 (18127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about a glen guidbook too :P

that is naturally if they dont close the place down

jaydenn

Oct 7, 2008, 7:12 PM
Post #11 of 60 (18097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geezergecko wrote:
The ambiguous descriptions in the current guidebook have lost their charm with me.

Whatever do you mean?
"climb pleasant face past bolts to anchors." isn't a good description?
Tongue

geezergecko

Oct 7, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #12 of 60 (18081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

armsrforclimbing wrote:
Also, all joking aside, GPS coordinates of the starts seem to be helpful. I know that Nemo is far from wilderness climbing, but its somewhat helpful to have when you want to know if you are within 15-30 ft of the start. Consider it while you are in the planning stages.
This would beat the current scheme of "Where the hell is number...?" painted numbers on the rock face. Many of these numbers have become faded, generally quite difficult to spot, and give a new meaning to "route finding".

armsrforclimbing

Oct 7, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #13 of 60 (18076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaydenn] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jaydenn wrote:

Nice, I think I climbed route of that description at every crag I have ever been to.Cool

armsrforclimbing

Oct 7, 2008, 9:17 PM
Post #14 of 60 (18073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The painted numbers is a little ridiculous. Have you seen this anywhere else? I am surprised the land managers allowed it originally. They must have since put a stop to it, which is a good thing.

chossmonkey

Oct 8, 2008, 1:12 AM
Post #15 of 60 (18054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaydenn] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jaydenn wrote:
geezergecko wrote:
The ambiguous descriptions in the current guidebook have lost their charm with me.

Whatever do you mean?
Tongue
There are far worse descriptions. My favorites are the ones that tell you everything about naming the route, but nothing to find it

fastkite

Oct 8, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #16 of 60 (18041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Glen is a possibility, but I would need some help from the bouldering community. I have little experience in the area.

a-e-jones

Oct 8, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #17 of 60 (18026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm sure that wouldn't be a problem anything is better then the guides taht are available right now anyways

fastkite

Oct 9, 2008, 2:37 AM
Post #18 of 60 (17997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could actually make a French version of the guidebook, but to be really honest with you. The photos and icons tell the story. The route descriptions are not that important for most routes.

If I made a French version I would not make printed copies, it would just be a print-your-own PDF online.

They become more important when talking about descent gullies.

fastkite

Oct 9, 2008, 2:58 AM
Post #19 of 60 (17994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the topic of painted numbers.

They are not that difficult to find once you know where to look for them.

The guidebook shows aerial photos of the area with the painted numbers in the correct locations to within 3 feet. I do not believe you will need the painted numbers, but they are confirmation.

I've attached an example topo for Morphine ledge as an example. I apologize for the resolution I was limited to 150k uploads.

The topo, conveniently shows the location of High Society, which for me personally was a difficult route to find.
Attachments: morphine ledge.jpg (131 KB)

ninjaclimb

Oct 9, 2008, 3:12 AM
Post #20 of 60 (17989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a new guidebook for the area is a great idea, I've always wanted to get off my ass and do it myself. The colour photo topos will be an amazing improvement. However, being a person who knows the area (I had no trouble finding any of those routes marked on the picture), I'm having difficulty recognizing any route on the picture - and I don't think its a question of picture size or quality. While the aerial photo is very nice, I would personally recommend a picture taken from a climber's angle.

I've been scribbling some info into and out of my Escarpment guidebook. Including some "newer" bolted lines that I've spotted but not yet tried. I could get back to you with this info.

Justin

fastkite

Oct 11, 2008, 1:01 AM
Post #21 of 60 (17963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninjaclimb] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Justin,

You are correct, in most cases a ground based photo makes locating the bottom of a route easier. However, in situations where there are many trees, it is very difficult to get a photo which shows the top of the route in any meaningful way.

The second problem is it takes a lot of photos to cover all the climbs. At $0.50-$2.00 / per page I am trying to make an efficient use of space.

That said, I have included ground photos for most popular climbs, especially where the aerial shots are not as obvious.

-Joe

a-e-jones

Oct 11, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #22 of 60 (17956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any idea for a release date?

fastkite

Oct 11, 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #23 of 60 (17942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The guide will be available before climbing next spring.

There are 'beta' copies of the guidebook floating around with friends and those helping on the project. Given the high cost of printing each prototype, there are not that many around.

Janet and I will be flying over Nemo this morning taking some more photos, hopefully a cover page and a usable shot of Alfred's Gully.

-Joe

granite_grrl

Oct 11, 2008, 3:21 PM
Post #24 of 60 (17921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninjaclimb] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ninjaclimb wrote:
However, being a person who knows the area (I had no trouble finding any of those routes marked on the picture), I'm having difficulty recognizing any route on the picture - and I don't think its a question of picture size or quality. While the aerial photo is very nice, I would personally recommend a picture taken from a climber's angle.

Agreed on all these points. I haven't been down to that wall in a little while, but I've climbed a bunch of the routes in the photo and the aerial shot doesn't make the recognizable. I understand the space constraints, but you'll need to add some periodic "from the ground" shots if you want to make the aerial shots usable.

shockabuku

Oct 12, 2008, 6:24 AM
Post #25 of 60 (17875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] New Nemo Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, just an experiment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook