Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner angry

Nov 21, 2008, 6:10 AM
Post #26 of 42 (821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superory] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

superory wrote:
churningindawake wrote:
Go to school.

stfu n00b!!!111!! ive been a member of higher education for the better half of a decade! (and im still not going to be a doctor...)

just tells us your day job, no need for the life advice. i gets enough of that from my mom.Crazy

You realize he is 14 right?

irregularpanda

Nov 21, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #27 of 42 (809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

superory wrote:

grow drugs???

sell pancakes???

I sell crack actually. No seriously, I just got into nursing school, so for 18 months I will not have a life, or much outdoor climbing, but after it's all over I should get paid pretty fucking well.

rockie

Nov 21, 2008, 6:59 AM
Post #28 of 42 (803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
superory wrote:

grow drugs???

sell pancakes???

seriously, I just got into nursing school, so for 18 months I will not have a life, or much outdoor climbing, but after it's all over I should get paid pretty ... well.

That's about right. Though if it's a valid course, e.g. degree, it will be more like 3 yrs at least where you won't have a life, not 18 months. But it'll be worth it.

(This post was edited by rockie on Nov 21, 2008, 7:00 AM)

suilenroc

Nov 21, 2008, 7:09 AM
Post #29 of 42 (799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Full time student and I retired(read: closed indefinitely) from managing a gear shop... so glade i p.d. a lot of stuff, who pays retail anyway?Smile

kriso9tails

Nov 21, 2008, 8:29 AM
Post #30 of 42 (780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
who pays retail anyway?Smile

I guess you do now.

I take product images for MEC. If I had my way, I'd draw the entire catalog myself in crayon instead of wasting time waiting for samples and taking photos, but for some reason no one ever listens to me.

Still, at least I don't pay retail.

suilenroc

Nov 21, 2008, 8:53 AM
Post #31 of 42 (775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
who pays retail anyway?Smile

I guess you do now.

I take product images for MEC. If I had my way, I'd draw the entire catalog myself in crayon instead of wasting time waiting for samples and taking photos, but for some reason no one ever listens to me.

Still, at least I don't pay retail.

WRONG. In this world, it is all about who you know and NOT how hard you climb(work for, steal from, buy online((assholes)), or route booty)... Tongue

jimo

Nov 21, 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #32 of 42 (766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a self employed carpenter. I do have a lot of time between big projects and finding days to work to lunch and climb is pretty sweet, but with the current financial hysteria, a steady job is getting more appealing. Winter is especially slow for business but I am not a fan of the cold, I have very little interest in ice climbing or skiing. I find myself wasting a lot of time on the internet...

fatoomchk

Nov 21, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #33 of 42 (756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work too much and climb too little.

However, I have two friends that do have it worked out to maximise climbing time. One is a professional fire fighter, the other works as a life guard at a sports training facility.

Both guys have the same deal - 12 hour shifts, 4 days on, 4 days off. And in both cases using the in house bouldering facilities is considered "work".

bayinghounds

Nov 21, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #34 of 42 (755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I deliver pizzas in a college town. On a closing shift I generally take home around $100 in unreported tips. Usually wont get home until 3 or 4 in the morning. Only end up working about 4 days a week. Some nights are more lucrative, i.e. Halloween i left with about $175. Only pays minimum wage though.

duncanlennon

Nov 21, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #35 of 42 (753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the summers I work 7-3 as a trail maintenance worker in NH. They put me up, feed me, and pay me minimum wage. Each day, I take off at 3 and climb till 8, return, sleep, and repeat. No complaints beyond the fact that I have no money.

jaablink

Nov 21, 2008, 1:52 PM
Post #36 of 42 (749 views)
Shortcut

jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Done too many jobs list …Notable… From partners with a family owned construction co. . To volunteer work building trails in AK for 6 month spikes. (work hard get paid little) have lots of fun … working with at risk youth 2nd 6 month spike AK ... Having a degree in CIS, now I code for a company on contract. I get paid for the assignments I complete , I also choose the assignments from a list. For instance, the software I code is being updated constantly. These updates cause problems (bugs) , I choose a bug to work on , find where the conflict is and do my best to correct the conflict so it flows. I put in 10 to 50 hours a week depending on the time of year and weather. I do all my work from a laptop and can do it from any ware in the world. I only need to update with the source safe 3 or 4 times a year, so I do not need to go to the main office often. This gives me lots of time to take ,plan trips, and train. Most recently my girlfriend and I have been traveling and climbing all over with many more trips planned. This will be her first season on ice…

kriso9tails

Nov 21, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #37 of 42 (718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
WRONG. In this world, it is all about who you know and NOT how hard you climb(work for, steal from, buy online((assholes)), or route booty)... Tongue

While I'm glad to hear that you're still managing to pay cost or discounted prices, it's not really a pro deal anymore if you aren't still working in the industry. I'm told the unofficial term is bro deal. In my case (which happens to be taking place in this world), it certainly is whom I work for and not whom I know.

Feller

Nov 21, 2008, 9:26 PM
Post #38 of 42 (704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at an ad agency 9-5, M-F....I have a kid, a social life, a small freelance web design business, and an addiction to video games. This leaves me ~20-30 minutes a week to climb. I generally spend it putting my shoes on, and applying chalk to my hands. Then I come back here and talk about how hard I climbed.

but srsly weekend warrior here....seems to be a pretty common story I'm seeing. now with the snow and cold, I get out even less =\ its actually really depressing. I hate gyms.

superory

Nov 21, 2008, 9:34 PM
Post #39 of 42 (697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

woha that post came off as way dick and im sorry.

posting drunk has gotten people in trouble before but i wasnt even drinking!

i may have taken too much of my glaucoma medicine on the other hand...

sorry bout that churning, didnt mean to jump all over you. no hard feelings.

justalli

Nov 21, 2008, 9:53 PM
Post #40 of 42 (685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and my friend Tania sell hugs on South Beach, Miami.

slavetogravity

Nov 21, 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #41 of 42 (660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great question.

I asked by self the same question during my 20's when I was living out of my truck, traveling across the globe, climbing and living .99 cents short of dollar.

What's the secret? I would always see guys who always seamed to have more money and more time then I did to climb then I did. So I started to ask, what do you do for money?

The answer that I heard time and time again.......

Brace your self....

Nurse. Specifically Registered Nurse.

I'm now 3 years through a 4 year Nursing degree. Don't ask my why, but nursing and climbing seam to go hand and hand. No less then two of my instructors are avid climbers, and a great many of my climbing partners today are Nurses.

Who new, but there you have it.

rockie

Nov 21, 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #42 of 42 (655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] jobs... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:
Great question.

I asked by self the same question during my 20's when I was living out of my truck, traveling across the globe, climbing and living .99 cents short of dollar.

What's the secret? I would always see guys who always seamed to have more money and more time then I did to climb then I did. So I started to ask, what do you do for money?

The answer that I heard time and time again.......

Brace your self....

Nurse. Specifically Registered Nurse.

I'm now 3 years through a 4 year Nursing degree. Don't ask my why, but nursing and climbing seam to go hand and hand. No less then two of my instructors are avid climbers, and a great many of my climbing partners today are Nurses.

Who new, but there you have it.

And we are short of Registered Nurses, so there you have it. If you are lost for a job and climbing time, go and become a nurse, I recommend it, just not hospital politics bull sh*t, but go through that anyway, then get out of the hospital setting altogether, that's what I did, couldn't be happier. Smile
My friends an anaesthetist, docs get less time off, he is always working, I am glad I didn't continue and head into that as I did at one time contemplate doing.

I know you are probably thinking, money there for studying, but if you train in the U.K, like some from Boston, U.S did on our course, you get a bursary as we all did, and they pay for you (means tested bursaries are common in nursing programmes in the U.K), at least it will cover your accomodation. I worked weekends, and studied and focused on my course solidly in the week, would burn out at the end of each term, but be ready after the rest for the next term. Just that way I didn't take a student loan either, I managed to live on what I earned, and you only needed food really, when the accomodation was covered. Those who lived at home with their parents were worse off as it happened, they got no financial support. Also, student loans were available if you really needed that, which you'd repay back once you started working (after you qualified), hard work, but if you focus hard and make that your priority, you'll swim through.

(This post was edited by rockie on Nov 21, 2008, 10:49 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook