Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sed

Feb 11, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 33 (2007 views)
Shortcut

Is there a glue-in for a leader?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm curious if anyone knows of a glue-in bolt designed that is appropriate for use on lead? All the glue-ins I'm familiar with are strictly adhesive anchors but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a combination mechanical/adhesive bolt that would be useful for doing ground up first ascents?
I much prefer doing ground up work, especially for longer lines but unfortunately I also like choss/sandstone. If I could find a hybrid bolt that would protect me on the first ascent but also use epoxy that would be ideal. I would only be interested if it was superior to a strictly mechanical bolt.

imnotclever

Feb 11, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #2 of 33 (1966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sed] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No. You get one or the other. Otherwise you've got to have a super fast set time on the glue.

Unless you want something like this:
http://www.williamsform.com/..._core_spin_lock.html

But the smallest they come is 1" dia

hafilax

Feb 11, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #3 of 33 (1939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If only Putty Nutz were still around.

Even 5 minute epoxy requires 24 hours to cure AFAIK.

I don't think crazy glue would be appropriate.

miklaw

Feb 11, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #4 of 33 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In soft rock you can use this combo: a 4" 3/8" stainless coachscrew in a hole that is 7/16" for the first 1.5" and 5/16" for the remaining 2.5". Put in fast setting (polyester resin) glue and tap the bolt in till it bites in the narrow hole, then screw that in to full depth. This setup is very dependent on rock hardness.
In hard rock a stainless trubolt with some sealent will be overkill

Partner cracklover

Feb 11, 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #5 of 33 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about drilled angles with epoxy? The angle would be plenty strong enough on its own to hold your falls. Then after you've left, the epoxy cures.

GO

USnavy

Feb 11, 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #6 of 33 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sed wrote:
I'm curious if anyone knows of a glue-in bolt designed that is appropriate for use on lead? All the glue-ins I'm familiar with are strictly adhesive anchors but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a combination mechanical/adhesive bolt that would be useful for doing ground up first ascents?
I much prefer doing ground up work, especially for longer lines but unfortunately I also like choss/sandstone. If I could find a hybrid bolt that would protect me on the first ascent but also use epoxy that would be ideal. I would only be interested if it was superior to a strictly mechanical bolt.

Well I can tell you one thing. We use all glue in anchors here in Hawaii. We have many hundreds of them installed throughout the island. If there is one thing I have learned its, preparation of the bolt and hole are absolutely crucial to the holding strength of the bolt. In tests, glue in bolts that have not been prepared properly pulled out with as little as .75 kN. On the other hand the very same bolt, when properly prepared, held almost 50 kN in cement.

Cleaning the hole and using the right adhesive is vital to the strength of the placement. Also preparing the bolt by threading it (if its not already threaded) is equally imperative. Installing glue in bolts is a lengthy process. Using some cheap ass quick set epoxy is a sure way to get you a dangerously weak placement. Those cheap quickset epoxies have a much lower tensile strength then industrial anchoring epoxy and they do not stand up to the elements like professional epoxies do. Do it right. Get the right epoxy. I can recommend you a specific brand and model that we use that’s known to stand up to a corrosive atmosphere if you would like.

sed

Feb 11, 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #7 of 33 (1826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover, I have considered the drilled angle but first, the price really adds up and second they are not stainless, and I would really like to use stainless as long as I'm placing with epoxy which will last about forever. Usnavy, I agree with you about surface preparation, hole cleaning, and glue. Those three factors are critical to the strength of the bolt and i don't intend to use quick setting glues.

Partner angry

Feb 11, 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #8 of 33 (1797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I don't think it's responsible at all to put up a route on lead with glue ins.

I understand the desire to place your bolts on lead, I've managed to avoid ever placing a rap bolt myself. Still, it's almost certain to screw it up on lead.

If I were the guy establishing the route, I'd place 5/16" powerbolts on lead then come back down after sending the route and place glue ins using the same hole on rappel. Powerbolts come out fairly easy, if the cone gets stuck, no problem, you'll be widening the hole and it'll be easy to dig out. Especially on soft rock.

acorneau

Feb 12, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #9 of 33 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I
If I were the guy establishing the route, I'd place 5/16" powerbolts on lead then come back down after sending the route and place glue ins using the same hole on rappel.

I was thinking the same thing but using the Fixe Triplex bolts instead, since they are very easy to remove.

sed

Feb 12, 2009, 4:39 AM
Post #10 of 33 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry, I'm curious. Why do you feel it's not responsible? If you're going to return and place glue-ins in the same hole/spot then why not do it that way the first time? I mean no rudeness - just inquiring.
Scott

Partner angry

Feb 12, 2009, 4:50 AM
Post #11 of 33 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the very few times I'll agree with usnavy. It's too easy to screw up.

I've never placed a glue in but I have placed a lot of bolts on lead. It's hard to get the hole at the perfect angle, it's hard to clean the hole enough, almost certainly you're going drop your straw or forget your brush. If you're using wedge bolts or to a lesser extent sleeve anchors, these little things are minor and the bolt will be great. Too much fucking up with epoxy and you've got a dangerous bolt.

See where I'm going? If you don't fall, you'll have no idea it's a bad bolt.

My current fave is powers 3/8" stainless steel wedge for power drilling. 4000lbs shear, 4-6000 pullout depending on rock. Never spinner, ok if you don't go in deep, no parts to drop. Of course they aren't removable.

For hand-drilling the 5/16 powerbolt gets the job done and is quite removable for upgrades.

clc

Feb 12, 2009, 4:58 AM
Post #12 of 33 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sec it would be difficult do do all the prep for the hole. You might rush it and botch the glue-in if on lead.
This Hilti glue http://www.hilti.ca/...uctpic.jsp?OID=31871
cures in aprox 30minutes. So it will have to be a pretty easy route to hang out for half an hour between bolts.

Just do it properly and bolt on rappell. If you going to fuck the rock anyway by placing bolts you may as well do it right and leave your ego at the trailhead. What is the benefit to others if you bolt a route on lead?

Partner angry

Feb 12, 2009, 5:15 AM
Post #13 of 33 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
Just do it properly and bolt on rappell. If you going to fuck the rock anyway by placing bolts you may as well do it right and leave your ego at the trailhead. What is the benefit to others if you bolt a route on lead?

To this, I disagree.

I hear this whole "bolting on lead is screwing up" argument all the time and I don't buy it.

The benefit, to answer your question, is to Sed. It's to the climber. Don't forget, not for one second, that climbing is a self centered sport. No matter what justification anyone makes, no matter how generous they are, no matter how many other climbers they've helped, a first ascensionist is self centered. It's way more fucking fun to bolt on lead, let him have his fun. If you don't enjoy bolting on lead, I posit that you don't enjoy route establishing, and should therefore not be establishing routes. It's not for everyone.

If it's too much work to go up and bolt it once then rap down and bolt it again, well then, maybe he's not cut out to do this route.

It's possible to do both, to relish in the gore of establishing a route ground up and to give the masses another sanitized park ride, all on the same route. It's only one more day of work, big deal. Don't give him shit for actually enjoying climbing... look, there's not a line at the roller coaster!!!

clc

Feb 12, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 33 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

To this, I disagree.
I was mostly referring to placing glue-ins on rappel, I wasn't really really talking about wedge bolts. My ground up stuff is usually on granite slab so I don't have to worry about messy with glue.

My question " What is the benefit to others if you bolt a route on lead?". The others meaning not the route setter but all the climbers who will do the route. ( nothing to do with the Lost TV show)
your right on the self centered stuff. I've been setting routes for about 15 yrs now, So I think its for me, I still usually do rap bolting. And I fully agree that ground up is way more fun and engaging just not the best for glue-in.

jman

Feb 12, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #15 of 33 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if anyone has used this kind of anchor for climbing, but in the construction industry we are using more self drilling anchors in concrete, where you drill a smaller hole and then use an impact wrench to set the anchor...Its like a large kwik con screw. Check out Hilti HUS-H system. Link to technical data.
http://www.us.hilti.com/..._Anchor(353-358).pdf

In looking up this information I also found a Hilti product that they call a OneStep self-drilling rock anchor with integrated adhesive cartridge, which is geared towards mining use. Couldn't locate any technical data in my quick search, but looks interesting.
http://www.hilti.com/...tep%20en%20w2989.pdf

jman

Feb 12, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #16 of 33 (1596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never mind about the OneStep product because it is wet installed and too large for climbing use.

billcoe_

Feb 12, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #17 of 33 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Need too much machinery and specialized installation tools for both of those. Angry nailed this one. There is no glue in for a leader. A removable bolt is the way to go if you must do it on lead and want a glue in for those who follows safety.

Partner angry

Feb 12, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #18 of 33 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"clc wrote:
angry wrote:

To this, I disagree.
I was mostly referring to placing glue-ins on rappel, I wasn't really really talking about wedge bolts. My ground up stuff is usually on granite slab so I don't have to worry about messy with glue.

My question " What is the benefit to others if you bolt a route on lead?". The others meaning not the route setter but all the climbers who will do the route. ( nothing to do with the Lost TV show)
your right on the self centered stuff. I've been setting routes for about 15 yrs now, So I think its for me, I still usually do rap bolting. And I fully agree that ground up is way more fun and engaging just not the best for glue-in.

Granite slab and basalt for me, no glue ins.

There is no advantage to the other climbers if a route is put in on rap or lead.

I do think that a route put in correctly on lead can be done just as well as on rap, if this is the case there is no disadvantage to anyone. I'm just sick of the rap bolters whining about how we should all only rap bolt.

For the record, if a route needs a bolt that I absolutely cannot place on lead, then I'd place it on rap. I've never come across this situation though.

Partner cracklover

Feb 12, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #19 of 33 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
"clc wrote:
angry wrote:

To this, I disagree.

My question " What is the benefit to others if you bolt a route on lead?". The others meaning not the route setter but all the climbers who will do the route.

There is no advantage to the other climbers if a route is put in on rap or lead.

I disagree. In general, I think it hurts the quality and meaningfulness of the route for the bolts to be placed on rappel afterwards.

While I have no problem with a FA coming back and improving their bolts, I would much rather have the number of bolts stay a constant after the FA. Unless the FA party was doing something *way* under their lead ability, with the express purpose of adding bolts later.

Basically, if the leader could bolt the route ground up, at the edge of her ability, then I should either be able to lead using the same set of bolts, or else I'm not ready to lead that route.

GO

yodadave

Feb 12, 2009, 5:58 PM
Post #20 of 33 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about the leader using those liberty mountain removable bolts on lead and then placing the glue ins later.

Note: I've never used those removable bolts but always thought this scenario would be perfect for them.

Anyone used them for this??

Partner angry

Feb 12, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #21 of 33 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
angry wrote:
"clc wrote:
angry wrote:

To this, I disagree.

My question " What is the benefit to others if you bolt a route on lead?". The others meaning not the route setter but all the climbers who will do the route.

I disagree. In general, I think it hurts the quality and meaningfulness of the route for the bolts to be placed on rappel afterwards.

While I have no problem with a FA coming back and improving their bolts, I would much rather have the number of bolts stay a constant after the FA. Unless the FA party was doing something *way* under their lead ability, with the express purpose of adding bolts later.

Basically, if the leader could bolt the route ground up, at the edge of her ability, then I should either be able to lead using the same set of bolts, or else I'm not ready to lead that route.

GO

I agree with your disagreement with me. (new sig for you boku)

It's all in the definitions. By quality, I meant good bolts that would hold and a route that someone at the edge of their ability could lead. Basically, something that isn't a death route.

I believe you meant quality in terms of what the route is as a whole and as a testament to the style of climbing and to the climbers themselves. Bolts placed on lead totally lower the quality of a route in that definition.

JimTitt

Feb 12, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #22 of 33 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We did make some lead glue-ins once for use on long alpine routes where bolt-ins arenīt such a good long term solution because of freeze/thaw issues but they arenīt that easy. The problem with normal bolt-ins is there is not enough room for the glue mass so it doesnīt harden properly so we machined spiral grooves in the bolt which worked well.
BUT with the added cost of this and the cost of wasting glue and a nozzle every time the price got out of hand, you could be fitting 16mm bolts by this time plus all the hassle of carrying glue, cleaning etc.
We looked for convenient small dosed glue systems but they just arenīt out there, the mixing is the problem. We also tested the epoxy putty that you get from hardware stores and knead together- itīs utterly useless.
Basically you either have to risk climbing on a not very safe bolt untril the glue sets or do as the others say and use removable bolts until you get a belay then abseil and glue properly, or of course just use removable bolts and strip the route.
And , as has been pointed out, good drilling and cleaning is vital.
Leaving crap gear in the cliff for others to take care of is not my idea of responsible climbing.

Jim

yodadave

Feb 13, 2009, 2:11 PM
Post #23 of 33 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just a wee bump to see if anyone had any opinions on the use of those liberty mountain removable bolts i mentioned ????

acorneau

Feb 13, 2009, 3:49 PM
Post #24 of 33 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
just a wee bump to see if anyone had any opinions on the use of those liberty mountain removable bolts i mentioned ????

I don't think they sell them any more, at least I can't find them on their website.

If you have ~10 bolt placements on a pitch, that's ~$350 worth of removable bolts (at $35 each) versus $90 for Fixe Triplex bolt/hanger combos ($7.25 + $1.75 x 10).
Unimpressed

clc

Feb 13, 2009, 4:18 PM
Post #25 of 33 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Is there a glue-in for a leader? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They are called RB's. I know a few people that use them for aid climbing. Then if they want to free the pitch you can drill it deeper and place a real bolt.
Big problem though the RB can get permanently. stuck if you fall on it. Then you have an inferior placement. An expensive shitty bolt.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook