Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Couple Questions about Owens
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ShibbyShane

Feb 16, 2009, 4:57 AM
Post #1 of 8 (4793 views)
Shortcut

Couple Questions about Owens  (North_America: United_States: California: Bishop_and_Eastern_Sierra: Owens_River_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I'm planning on heading over to Owen's at the end of this coming week, around the 19th or so, and I have a few questions:

1. I was wondering what the conditions are like over there right now? Snow around the rim or anything?

2. Camping. Does the guide book cover where to camp? I know you can camp along the rim (anywhere?), and at "the pit," but I don't know where that is.

3. Is there any/much top roping? I'm perfectly willing to do some easy lead climbing (read: 5.4-5.8), but I'm curious if you can toprope anything. Although, if top roping it means hiking up and out of the canyon, I'm not likely to do that.

4. About how many quickdraws should I take? 6? 8? 20?

Thanks for any info.

ShibbyShane

Feb 17, 2009, 5:40 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ShibbyShane] Couple Questions about Owens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaanyone?!?

A-Bowl

Feb 17, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check local weather... but should expect some snow on rim and hike in. The snow on the hike makes it interesting. you won't be hiking around to set top ropes.... too tall and rediculous. bolts are close enough so push yourself. There are plenty of quality easy routes and many do share anchors or are close to harder ones. Bring 20 if you got em... they're just draws, but you can get by with 12 if that's all you have. The pit is a good winter camping place cause it drops you down out of the wind. I can't remember the name of the road but it is the same one you take to the Happy's boulders off of 395. After getting on that road you take an un marked left off of that road after about a quarter mile or less... it might be the first left... and it is before the happys road descends to the little valley floor. Sorry if this just gets you lost but Im sure you can look this up. Enjoy.

ShibbyShane

Feb 17, 2009, 6:26 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [A-Bowl] Couple Questions about Owens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet, thanks.

spoon

Feb 17, 2009, 7:22 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm jealous. I went to Bishop over thanksgiving to boulder but fell in love with Owen's River Gorge. Here's a map with the pit marked on it, along with a few other places worth noting.

http://maps.google.com/...0046317deb25c01ad88b

spoon

Feb 17, 2009, 7:31 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also just wanted to mention that abitafun (5.9) at the pub wall was one of my favorite climbs at the grade of all time. A looooooooooooong route on interesting rock with consistently fun moves. The guide book says it's 32.5m but I lowered off just fine with a 60m rope.

ShibbyShane

Feb 17, 2009, 7:32 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spoon] Couple Questions about Owens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spoon wrote:
I'm jealous. I went to Bishop over thanksgiving to boulder but fell in love with Owen's River Gorge. Here's a map with the pit marked on it, along with a few other places worth noting.

http://maps.google.com/...0046317deb25c01ad88b

Awesome man, thanks for the map.

Yeah I've actually been to Owen's before, and to Schat's too! I was going geology field mapping near Big Pine over this last summer and some of the guys took me to Owens to climb. I wasn't even a climber then!

Now that I do climb, it'll be interesting to look at the gorge in a new light! Maybe find some of the climbs I did before and compare.

edit: spelling

(This post was edited by ShibbyShane on Feb 17, 2009, 7:39 AM)

ShibbyShane

Feb 17, 2009, 7:34 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spoon] Couple Questions about Owens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spoon wrote:
I also just wanted to mention that abitafun (5.9) at the pub wall was one of my favorite climbs at the grade of all time. A looooooooooooong route on interesting rock with consistently fun moves. The guide book says it's 32.5m but I lowered off just fine with a 60m rope.

I'll keep that one in mind. I remember climbing a fun arete that they said was a 5.6 I think. Not sure what wall it was on but I think it was in the central gorge. I climbed it three times and even talked them into letting me clean the anchors. Good times.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook