Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mrdeadpt

Apr 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #1 of 29 (11906 views)
Shortcut

ACL Reconstruction
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The writing is on the wall: I'm going to "go under the knife" to have my ACL reconstructed. Anyone had an experience with this surgical procedure, the lengthy rehab, and then returning to climbing? Any advice is appreciated!

Mr. D

onceahardman

Apr 18, 2009, 1:20 PM
Post #2 of 29 (11903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrdeadpt] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1) Make sure you have a great surgeon. You want someone who cuts professional or major college athletes.

2) Make sure he/she understands what your goals are. (Make sure you do too!)

3) 6 months is a super-exceptional outlier for professional athletes with on-staff trainers and therapists doing daily rehab, to return to playing sports at a professional level. .12-24 months to "full recovery".

4) First focus is getting full motion back for a climber. Be aware, some surgical candidates, REGARDLESS of who is doing the rehab, NEVER get full flexion back. (arthrofibrosis). This can be a considerable hindrance to your climbing.

5) Keep your hamstrings very strong, and don't do "quadriceps extensions", ever. Closed-chain only. Squats, lunges, and creative variants thereof.

Good luck, keep in touch regarding how rehab is going. Stuff like this can really improve the site.

edited due to poor counting skills.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 19, 2009, 2:59 AM)

boracus

Apr 20, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #3 of 29 (11857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr. D-
Wanted to ask what kind of graft the surgeon suggested for replacing the ACL?
I have no proof of this except anecdotes from climbers that I have worked on. They all have told me that they would not go w/ a hamsting graft since following the ACL repair all have felt that they've lost a little bit of ability to heel hook as "hard" as the non operative side.
Of course the climbers mentioning this are all people that mostly boulder, so if you're not as dependent on being able to heel hook this may have no relevance.
good luck w/ the surgery and rehab process,
BA

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 20, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 29 (11838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
5) Keep your hamstrings very strong, and don't do "quadriceps extensions", ever. Closed-chain only. Squats, lunges, and creative variants thereof.

Yes to strong quads, no to quad extensions are evil. Used within the proper range of motion, with the machine adjusted correctly for leg size, and with low to medium weights, quad extensions are a good way to target muscles that will atrophy after surgery. Combined with hamstring curls, plus the others mentioned, these open chain exercises have a valid place in routines. Around 6 months post-op, after all the PT, they can be useful getting the muscles back. Lunges the way a lot of people do them are arguably worse on the knees even though they are closed-chain. Some of the silly "funcitonal" stuff people do on a Bosu belong in a Richard Simmons video--useful for rehab, dumb for training.

Boracus, heel hooking isn't a problem at all for at least one friend who had the hamstring graft. YMMV.

onceahardman

Apr 20, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #5 of 29 (11828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Yes to strong quads, no to quad extensions are evil. Used within the proper range of motion, with the machine adjusted correctly for leg size, and with low to medium weights, quad extensions are a good way to target muscles that will atrophy after surgery. Combined with hamstring curls, plus the others mentioned, these open chain exercises have a valid place in routines. Around 6 months post-op, after all the PT, they can be useful getting the muscles back. Lunges the way a lot of people do them are arguably worse on the knees even though they are closed-chain. Some of the silly "funcitonal" stuff people do on a Bosu belong in a Richard Simmons video--useful for rehab, dumb for training.

Boracus, heel hooking isn't a problem at all for at least one friend who had the hamstring graft. YMMV.

roy, here is a six-month ACL protocol from the Steadman Hawkins Institute:

http://www.drmillett.com/pdf/acl.pdf

There are no quad extensions called for. I think (if you are familiar) you'd agree Dr. Steadman has "pretty good" stats on ACL repair outcomes.

When you talk about quads "coming back"...the context here is a rockclimber, not a bodybuilder. Extensions can certainly "build up" the quads, and make the legs appear more symmetrical. I'm sure you are aware, though, that doing extensions DOES NOT appreciably improve the ability to perform a squat lift.

Doing extensions improves...your ability to do extensions. My focus as a PT, is improving FUNCTION.

Doing squats improves your ability to high-step, heel-hook, drop-knee, hike uphill to the crag with a pack, downclimb, and probably several other things.

It's interesting you are concerned about people doing lunges "the way a lot of people do them", yet you are seemingly unconcerned about applying a similar standard to extensions. Any exercise can be done "wrong".

Also, when you say a Bosu, or "functional exercises", are "silly", but that they are "useful for rehab"...well, the context here IS rehab, from ACL repair.

osu_cowboy

Apr 20, 2009, 8:42 PM
Post #6 of 29 (11821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boracus] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had two ACL surgeries since 2002. The first was a patella tendon (Check Spelling) and the second a hamstring graft. Most Docs wont even suggest a Patella graft anymore due to the pain assoscated with the knee long term. I have total recovery in my knees as far as sports and climbing goes, but have loads of pain and arthritis in the knee where they took my patella. You will have a weak hamstring if you use a hamstring graft but with proper and diligent rehab you can fix that; you cant fix the damage to the front of the knee with the patella graft. My hamstring is as strong as ever, the only problem I have with it is that sometimes it strains a little easy if I don't stretch well.

Good luck with surgery...as long as you do what you are suppose to your recovery will be fine!

32ovy32

Apr 20, 2009, 9:05 PM
Post #7 of 29 (11808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also had my ACL reconstructed with my hamstring (my meniscus was also repaired too).
I ran out of time on my insurance for physical therapy after 4 months, and didn't have the dedication to do it on my own. Obviously because of that, it took me a long time to "fully" recover. Stick with the PT because three years later, I don't have full range of motion. Pretty close, but like 5 degrees short.
About seven months after surgery I slipped on some gravel and tore the hamstring that the graft was taken from, so don't rush your recovery. I would say it took me about a year to be comfortable to climb on.
Either way, get a good doctor and don't skip out on the PT.
Good luck man.

onceahardman

Apr 20, 2009, 9:39 PM
Post #8 of 29 (11800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [osu_cowboy] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

osu_cowboy wrote:
I have had two ACL surgeries since 2002. The first was a patella tendon (Check Spelling) and the second a hamstring graft. Most Docs wont even suggest a Patella graft anymore due to the pain assoscated with the knee long term. I have total recovery in my knees as far as sports and climbing goes, but have loads of pain and arthritis in the knee where they took my patella. You will have a weak hamstring if you use a hamstring graft but with proper and diligent rehab you can fix that; you cant fix the damage to the front of the knee with the patella graft. My hamstring is as strong as ever, the only problem I have with it is that sometimes it strains a little easy if I don't stretch well.

Good luck with surgery...as long as you do what you are suppose to your recovery will be fine!

cowboy, I respect your personal experience with ACL repair. But the bolded part really isn't true:

http://www.orthoassociates.com/SP11B35/

onceahardman

Apr 20, 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #9 of 29 (11785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [32ovy32] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
About seven months after surgery I slipped on some gravel and tore the hamstring that the graft was taken from, so don't rush your recovery. I would say it took me about a year to be comfortable to climb on.

32ovy32, Sorry your outcome hasn't gone as well as some.

IMO, a really good PT would have given you a solid education regarding the importance of exercise and progression of rehab. Of course, if you just don't do it. it's on you.

Your case does illustrate something interesting and relevant, though. The kinds of exercise that are designed to minimize the chance of a hammie tear like yours are called "proprioceptive retraining". After a major trauma like ACL surgery, neurological pathways get disrupted. Your brain no longer gets as much information from your injured lower extremity regarding it's position in space, the amount of tension in various muscles and tendons, etc.

Proprioception exercises include apparently "silly" exercises like high-level balance activities done in single-leg stance on a Bosu. They have been clinically shown to reduce accidental falls.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 20, 2009, 10:37 PM)

boracus

Apr 20, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #10 of 29 (11774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roy and OSU-
glad to hear some positive hamstring graft results.
BA

osu_cowboy

Apr 21, 2009, 1:13 AM
Post #11 of 29 (11759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a surgeon, but the three to five that I have experience with all say that the "gold standard" of Patellar tendon graphs is changing in the field. They do admit that this graft is usually stronger than the hamstring, but say that because of the pain most surgeons are moving away from it. Either way I believe that you can make a full climbing recovery from either surgery if you do everything right during recovery. My advice to anyone getting the surgery would be to do anything you can, with doctors permission, to keep your leg strong pre-surgery. I can also say that when they use the Patellar graph there is much more deteriation in the muscle around the knee. Good Luck all.

lauriezeller

Apr 21, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #12 of 29 (11722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there, thanks for the background - you have clearly put a lot of thought and research into this. Here is my question for the forum. My son, 17 years old and interested in extreme sports, tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus in January and had surgery that month at Steadman-Hawkins. Since he can't ski this summer, he is looking for a new sport and would like to try a NOLS course that includes rock climbing. He is a good athlete and is doing a good job on his rehab, but obviously I am concerned since my knowledge of climbing is pretty sparse. Any thoughts? Thanks!

onceahardman

Apr 21, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #13 of 29 (11712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lauriezeller] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Laurie...

In reply to:
My son, 17 years old and interested in extreme sports, tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus in January and had surgery that month at Steadman-Hawkins. Since he can't ski this summer, he is looking for a new sport and would like to try a NOLS course that includes rock climbing.

"The Terrible Triad of O'Donahue"...(These things are always named for the doctor who characterized the injury, rather than the patient)

Regarding your son...rock climbing is a tremendous activity, often very addictive. It's really not a super "knee-friendly" kind of sport.

Was his meniscus repaired, or did he have a meniscectomy? That answer is critical. 6 months is probably too soon to begin climbing after a meniscus repair. It would still be on the very early end of the scale for a simple meniscectomy. It's really best to discuss it with the surgeon, although you'll likely have a difficult time finding a surgeon who will recommend rock climbing during rehabilitation from a terrible triad surgery.

If he was my son, I'd try to get him to do a bunch of cycling this summer. If he needs an adrenaline rush, he could probably get started climbing mid-late August, with the surgeon's OK. Maybe kayaking would "feed the rat".

Best of luck.

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 21, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #14 of 29 (11704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
When you talk about quads "coming back"...the context here is a rockclimber, not a bodybuilder. Extensions can certainly "build up" the quads, and make the legs appear more symmetrical. I'm sure you are aware, though, that doing extensions DOES NOT appreciably improve the ability to perform a squat lift.

Doing extensions improves...your ability to do extensions. My focus as a PT, is improving FUNCTION.

Doing squats improves your ability to high-step, heel-hook, drop-knee, hike uphill to the crag with a pack, downclimb, and probably several other things.

It's interesting you are concerned about people doing lunges "the way a lot of people do them", yet you are seemingly unconcerned about applying a similar standard to extensions. Any exercise can be done "wrong".

Also, when you say a Bosu, or "functional exercises", are "silly", but that they are "useful for rehab"...well, the context here IS rehab, from ACL repair.

For pre-surgery strengthening of muscles that atrophy severely, extensions are useful. As post-PT (IOW after you have done your job) exercise, again extensions can be very helpful at strengthening muscles that have atrophied. I'm talking about the time before and after an ACL victim works with you (2 months before surgery and starting around 6 months after).

As you probably know, "functional training" has been quite the fad in the past decade. They stole a bunch of ideas from you PT types and then applied them to non-injured people. What works great in your application is now proving lousy for sport conditioning. The studies coming out in the past couple of years show that training combining instability/balance challenges/multi-planar movement are not as effective as the hypesters want people to believe. Making the muscles strong, no matter what the exercise, and then working on sport specific movement is most productive.

In that context, extensions are just as valid part of a training program as squats. It isn't an either/or, it's another tool in the quiver but a lot of the claims are made about extensions being bad. Personally, having had operations on both knees, I think just about all lunges are worse for training and especially rehab.

Laurie, ditto the comments about road cycling as a better option than rockclimbing. Plus, depending on the NOLS course in question, carrying a heavy pack off-trail could be a very bad thing for a knee. Boating itself is great but all the walking around on slick rock can also be less than knee-friendly.

onceahardman

Apr 21, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #15 of 29 (11692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

For pre-surgery strengthening of muscles that atrophy severely, extensions are useful. As post-PT (IOW after you have done your job) exercise, again extensions can be very helpful at strengthening muscles that have atrophied. I'm talking about the time before and after an ACL victim works with you (2 months before surgery and starting around 6 months after).

As you probably know, "functional training" has been quite the fad in the past decade. They stole a bunch of ideas from you PT types and then applied them to non-injured people. What works great in your application is now proving lousy for sport conditioning. The studies coming out in the past couple of years show that training combining instability/balance challenges/multi-planar movement are not as effective as the hypesters want people to believe. Making the muscles strong, no matter what the exercise, and then working on sport specific movement is most productive.

In that context, extensions are just as valid part of a training program as squats. It isn't an either/or, it's another tool in the quiver but a lot of the claims are made about extensions being bad. Personally, having had operations on both knees, I think just about all lunges are worse for training and especially rehab.

Laurie, ditto the comments about road cycling as a better option than rockclimbing. Plus, depending on the NOLS course in question, carrying a heavy pack off-trail could be a very bad thing for a knee. Boating itself is great but all the walking around on slick rock can also be less than knee-friendly.

roy, I've tried to be clear. The context here IS ACL rehabilitation. Kevin Wilk may well be the most famous and well-known orthopedic PT in the world. His research has revealed the following regarding shear forces at the knee for quad extensions vs squats:

In reply to:
Anterior/posterior tibiofemoral shear forces(Wilk):

Knee extension(OKC): 100-45 degrees load PCL ligament until 40-0 degrees which is ACL load
Knee flexion (OKC): 0-40 degrees ACL load
Squat and leg press (CKC): peak PCL load at knee flexion 90 degrees, no load on ACL.

There is NO ACL load (ie, NO anterior shear force on the tibia relative to femur) in closed kinetic chain. There IS anterior shear force during open chain. This is very well-known in ACL rehabilitation, and your reluctance to accept it is telling.

Using exercises which SPECIFICALLY shear the tibia forward in a pre-operative ACL-deficient knee will damage meniscus, and articular cartilage. Tibia will move anteriorly, because there is no ACL to counter the motion, and hamstrings will not be firing in open chain. Quadriceps is firing unopposed.

I only work with injured people, so I'm not terribly interested in your personal bias about an exercise fad which apparently has "stolen" ideas from PT. As I said, quad extensions will make your quads bigger, but they won't help you squat significantly more, or help you run a faster 40 time, or jump higher. They will improve your ability to perform quad extensions.

justroberto

Apr 21, 2009, 7:28 PM
Post #16 of 29 (11689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had ACL reconstruction 11 years ago, but I wasn't climbing then. If I recall correctly, it was about 6 months before I could do light running off the treadmill, a year and a half before I started kicking a soccer ball again. I never got to the point where I felt confident going full speed again, but the aftermath hasn't seemed to affect my climbing any. I am definitely achy after long hikes (particularly downhill), multipitch slab, and sitting at a desk all day.

The only bit of advice I can offer is to be sure to go to your physical therapist as often as he/she recommends. Don't take a day off here and there just because you don't feel like going - it will hurt you in the long run.

I don't know where the technology is these days, but if I had it all to do over again, I'd be sure to ask the surgeon and PT just one question: Is there anything you or I can do to minimize the amount of pain I'll have later in life? Then I'd write it all down and try to do it without fail.

Have fun trying to get your range of motion back.Wink

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 21, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #17 of 29 (11685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I'm talking about leg rehab after the ACL rehab. PTs quit when there is still a lot of work to be done getting back into shape. It isn't as simple as open chain versus closed chain. In particular the higher compressive forces of back squats is rough on the meniscus so it isn't a great choice (http://tinyurl.com/dhq4zl). Leg presses also fall into that category and there people can do all sorts of weird angles. Yes there is a shear force in extensions and curls but that is why low to moderate loads and specific ranges (Wiilk used extreme examples that aren't relevant) are recommended.

onceahardman wrote:
quad extensions will make your quads bigger, but they won't help you squat significantly more, or help you run a faster 40 time, or jump higher. They will improve your ability to perform quad extensions.

And this is where you are simply wrong. OK you'd be right if they only did extensions and nothing else but that isn't the way it works. Combined with other exercises, they can help you get stronger faster and without injury.

onceahardman

Apr 21, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #18 of 29 (11661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Actually I'm talking about leg rehab after the ACL rehab. PTs quit when there is still a lot of work to be done getting back into shape. It isn't as simple as open chain versus closed chain. In particular the higher compressive forces of back squats is rough on the meniscus so it isn't a great choice (http://tinyurl.com/dhq4zl). Leg presses also fall into that category and there people can do all sorts of weird angles. Yes there is a shear force in extensions and curls but that is why low to moderate loads and specific ranges (Wiilk used extreme examples that aren't relevant) are recommended.

onceahardman wrote:
quad extensions will make your quads bigger, but they won't help you squat significantly more, or help you run a faster 40 time, or jump higher. They will improve your ability to perform quad extensions.

And this is where you are simply wrong. OK you'd be right if they only did extensions and nothing else but that isn't the way it works. Combined with other exercises, they can help you get stronger faster and without injury.

So, Kevin Wilk, who did one of MANY biomechanical sudies showing the shear forces in the knee in open vs closed chain, is suddenly "extreme", and "not relevant"?

Did you notice the study you linked noted shear forces during both front and back squats? and that the net shearing is posterior in closed chain, thus confirming Wilk's work? Is the study you linked also "extreme and not relevant?"

Kevin Wilk publishes often, and usually with Dr. James Andrews as a co-author. Perhaps you've heard of Dr. Andrews. He's the guy the pros go to when they difficult surgeries, or a second consult. Try googling both Wilk and Andrews.

Your unsubstantiated dismaissal of Wilk's well-known and respected research stands as "hand-waving".

Likewise, when you say I am "simply wrong" about using open-chain exercises with ACL-comprimised patients. It seems simple enough to find a study, SOMEONE who agrees with you. I did a google search of "ACL quad extensions shearing rehab" in various combinations, and couldn't find a single study which agrees with you. Show me a comparitive study, in which ACL patients performing exercise in open chain return to sport either: more quickly, faster, stronger, more explosive, or any other relevant parameter.

Unless the chosen sport is bodybuilding, in which case I'd probably agree with you.

If your way worked, it would be mainstream. There are millions of dollars to be made returning athletes to function at the highest level, and quickly, following ACL disruption. It's Big Business.

Or, do your own study. I'm sure the research dollars are available.

Edited to make your link clicky. Hopefully now others will look at it too.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 21, 2009, 10:59 PM)

aerili

Apr 22, 2009, 5:28 AM
Post #19 of 29 (11624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

OAHM is totally right on this one.

Quad strength doesn't play into limiting jump height or running speed in a healthy athlete. That is so, so far from the issue. Never, never will you see a strength coach specifically training quad strength (especially with an isolation-type exercise) to improve this.

Training in closed-chain motion will improve both closed-chain and open-chain strength and function, but open-chain only appears to transfer over to open-chain.

Leg extensions also cause delayed firing of the vastus quad muscles--they fire rectus femoris first! This is totally the opposite of what you want and what is required to create powerful, functional knee extension movements in real life.

I would certainly say it does not appear leg extensions can functionally contribute toward improved performance at all.

roy wrote:
In particular the higher compressive forces of back squats is rough on the meniscus so it isn't a great choice.

Except that back squats are and can be a great choice considering they build more functional hip extensor strength--which is the biggest contributor of force generation that drives our bodies into forward motion.

Front squats require more technique and are harder to learn; people are much more likely to do them wrong. But both kind of squats can be beneficial to previously-injured knees. There is also plenty of research and anecdotal stories showing that back squats can and do improve knee function and stability in injured people.

Stiene HA, Brosky T, Reinking MF, Nyland J, Mason MB. A comparison of closed kinetic chain and isokinetic joint isolation exercise in patients with patellofemoral dysfunction. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996 Sep;24(3):136-41

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 22, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #20 of 29 (11607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
OAHM is totally right on this one.

Sorry, he isn't. He is merely stuck in his dogmatic world of rehab and either/or think. His dismissive hand-waving is based on this limited viewpoint. I'm talking about post rehab, where there is still a lot of re-conditioning, and I'm suggesting it's all good. You seem to fallen into that trap too of mono-think and over-hyped functional training to the exclusion of everything else.

The reality is that anyone will get stronger faster by doing a combination of closed and open chain exercises instead of just closed (and I have never, ever implied do just open). The way studies are conducted, they never compare an AB routine to A and B, only A versus B (they are also limited in time frame due to cost). But muscles aren't lab studies and ultimately it comes down to how hard and frequently they are challenged. Trying to train motor skills at the same time as strength is dumb since you won't get optimal results for either. It's a fad to diss machines these days but they have their place and can be as valuable as freeweights if used wisely.

OAHM when i said Wilks used extreme examples to prove his point, I was specifically referring to taking the knee past 90 to 100 and past 15 to 0. It's those extremes where the majority of the shear occurs yet most of the muscle activation is between 80 and 20.

For the lurkers, after the ACL operation and after PT and after the surgeon has cleared you for vigorous exercise, then it's time to rebuild the leg muscles and correct imbalances. If you want to get back faster, then use all the tools in the shed and don't limit your options. So get on the bike, go for hikes and runs, lift freeweights and use machines. Open chain exercises are a useful tool too, despite claims to the contrary. And if you want to prevent another ACL repair, focus on strengthening the hamstrings.

onceahardman

Apr 22, 2009, 3:28 PM
Post #21 of 29 (11604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roy, I understand completely that you are saying:

Open + Closed chain strengthening > Closed chain strengthening. You have been clear on that.

The problem you have is, the literature does not support your view. I assume if you had any supporting literature, you would have provided it.

In particular, when you say:

In reply to:
If you want to get back faster, then use all the tools in the shed and don't limit your options.

it depends on exactly what you mean by "get back". If you mean "restore the diameter and appearance of quadriceps", then I agree. But if you mean, "Restore your previous 40 time" (or any other functional measure), then I disagree, and my position is supported by the literature.

You accuse me of hand-waving, yet the only literature you provided was irrelevant to your cause, while providing support to my position.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 22, 2009, 3:30 PM)

onceahardman

Apr 22, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #22 of 29 (11587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You seem to fallen into that trap too of mono-think and over-hyped functional training to the exclusion of everything else.

Roy, multi-million dollar athletes return to the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, and other top-end leagues faster when they train in closed chain. If your way is better, do a study, and market it to the pros. You'll be rich and famous.

In reply to:
and I have never, ever implied do just open

Well, you did impugn one of the best closed chain exercises when you said:

In reply to:
In particular the higher compressive forces of back squats is rough on the meniscus so it isn't a great choice

How telling it is, when you talk about doing very limited, low weight, sub maximal, limited range open chain training, and make a comparison to 12 rep max back squats. Do you suppose it's possible to lower the weight a bit for meniscus-compromised patients?

In reply to:
The way studies are conducted, they never compare an AB routine to A and B, only A versus B (they are also limited in time frame due to cost).

Who are "they". May I suggest "they" are people with backgrounds much like you, except "they" have done the research, and found open chain lacking in transfer to improved function. I suggest YOU design a study. For now, how about a (true) anecdote about how one of your ACL patients plateaued in pure closed chain, yet broke through that plateau when adding in open chain?

It really needs to have some objectivity to it, though. Something like a pro or very active amateur athlete improving his/her 40 time, or standing long jump, or vertical jump. I'm not just talking about someone looking better with no clothes on.

In reply to:
OAHM when i said Wilks used extreme examples to prove his point, I was specifically referring to taking the knee past 90 to 100 and past 15 to 0. It's those extremes where the majority of the shear occurs yet most of the muscle activation is between 80 and 20.

Not true. Anterior shear occurs betwwen 40 and 0 degrees. Read the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

EDIT: this reminds me of the old Monty Python "spam" skit...

I don't want ANY spam.

"Well have the Spam, eggs, sausage and spam, there's not much Spam in that."

But I don't want ANY Spam!

"I'll take yours then. I love it!"

Except in this case, it's:

I don't want ANY ACL shearing.

"Well, do some open chain extensions, but stop at 15 degrees, there's not as much shearing then."

But I don't want ANY ACL shearing!

In reply to:
For the lurkers...

...And if you want to prevent another ACL repair, focus on strengthening the hamstrings.

And avoid quad extensions, as reflected in the current literature.

http://www.orthojournalhms.org/.../html/articles16.htm

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 22, 2009, 7:08 PM)

aerili

Apr 22, 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #23 of 29 (11559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry, roy, but this time I think you are really out of your league on understanding the literature and the practical application, not to mention I have no reason to believe you have any hands-on experience training athletes (which I do--which is not rehab, although I have worked with athetes who are post-rehab).

You and I often see eye to eye on many things (more of the time than not), and you provide many good opinions, but neither the rehab nor the sport conditioning scientific or practitioner community would stand in consensus behind you on this one.

roy wrote:
The reality is that anyone will get stronger faster by doing a combination of closed and open chain exercises instead of just closed
When measuring quad strength as a stand-alone, it may improve faster when you combine both, but the research shows that when measuring the functional chain of strength the quad is part of does NOT improve from open chain exercises. And that is what matters! If open chain doesn't transfer to closed chain function, and the quad muscles are trained to fire in the wrong order required for closed chain movement, then who cares how strong the quad muscle is when tested on some isokinetic leg extension machine? It has little practical application.

In reply to:
Trying to train motor skills at the same time as strength is dumb since you won't get optimal results for either.
Exercises that require some level of motor skill and which build strength are taught like this: learn skill first with little to no weight. As skill becomes high, add weight. Add a lot if you wish, depending on your desired outcome. Pretty straightforward. We're not advocating to train strength during actual sport skill practice, which is entirely different.

In reply to:
You seem to fallen into that trap too of mono-think and over-hyped functional training to the exclusion of everything else.
I think it's very presumptuous of you to tell me my training style when you've never seen me work with anyone.

I do not use circus tricks. Also, I do not think and have never said machines are useless. In fact, I used one just the other day while working out.

Functional training has been over-hyped, but mostly in the form of standing on thera-balls while squatting and similar such exercises that do not carry over into any useful situation. Other forms of functional training are exactly what their label implies.

Hammertoes

Apr 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #24 of 29 (11521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Pissing match!Sly

mrdeadpt

May 5, 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #25 of 29 (11340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boracus] ACL Reconstruction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've consulted one surgeon so far. He does patellar tendon grafts exclusively. But now, I'm reading about this being painful--and having lasting pain--it's enough to scare me off.

Mr. D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook