RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ffred

May 21, 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Wrist POPPING!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was out bouldering today, felt a bit of pain in wrist but nothing severe. The next hold i grabbed my hand popped out of my wrist, i know it sounds dumb, but it's like when you pull your finger an it pops, it doesn't exactly hurt but feels uncomfortable and makes my hand real weak. Any suggestions as to what it could be or what to do?
cheers
f

(This post was edited by ffred on May 21, 2009, 4:30 PM)

czo

May 21, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ffred] Wrist POPPING! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had that problem before. It actually started when I was making a large throw to a big sloper grab. The hand usually stays in the wrist unless I'm in some weird angle on a sloper hold.

I never figured out exactly what it was. I'd think it's unnaturally stretched tendons, but I'd imagine that would hurt a lot more.

ffred

May 21, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [czo] Wrist POPPING! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If i recall the route i was trying was packed with slopers and not much else, i figure rest is gonna be the best course of action i guess?
cheers

ford4x4

May 22, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had this same problem about two years ago. went to the doc only to find out its carple tunnel. still an issue

sungam

May 22, 2009, 4:49 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same thing happened to me. Effects lasted about 3 days, never heard from it since. Long sideways throw from a sloper.

ffred

May 22, 2009, 9:36 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Wrist POPPING! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, all sounds very encouraging...feels a little stiff an saw today, gonna rest up and see what happens, I've had tendon problems and things before from guitaar playing and I'm fairly sure it aint carpal tunnel, the sawness i got today feels like its the muscles around the wrist as opposed to inside it.
and it was indeed throwing for a dodgy sloper!
cheers

shoo

May 22, 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the same thing, except it's been going on for about a month now. Any info on this would be sweet.

sungam

May 22, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ffred wrote:
hmmm, all sounds very encouraging...feels a little stiff an saw today, gonna rest up and see what happens, I've had tendon problems and things before from guitaar playing and I'm fairly sure it aint carpal tunnel, the sawness i got today feels like its the muscles around the wrist as opposed to inside it.
and it was indeed throwing for a dodgy sloper!
cheers
I warmed it up gently and stretch, btw. I felt this reduced any stiffness/dull pain that had been hanging around.
If it lasts longer then it could be Carpal tunnel, then your farked...

rock_fencer

May 22, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Wrist POPPING! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have this after developing a fluid pocket in the joint a number of years back. For me if it starts poping is a sign that its time to ease off for a few days or else it will start hurting. I'll usually tape the area right above the bone that sticks out of the wrist tihgtly and have no problems then.

czo

May 23, 2009, 2:45 AM
Post #10 of 11 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking about this some more and I'm pretty sure it's just over-stressing the joint in an untrained position. Whenever I crimp, my hand is either in alignment with or slightly bent back, whereas with slopers my hand is usually bent forward. I think it's just a point of weakness if you're not climbing a lot of slopers (and if your gym or even local outdoor spot is like mine, there aren't a lot of slopers).

Really, I'm sure* with some rest it will be fine.

*I'm not a doctor.

(This post was edited by czo on May 23, 2009, 2:47 AM)

redsolarearth

May 31, 2009, 6:54 AM
Post #11 of 11 (4129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [czo] Wrist POPPING! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a wrist tendon injury about 6 months ago, I kept doing this v7, it was my first v7, so I did it a bunch, maybe even to showboat, and my wrist tendon got worn badly, and my wrist started popping, and clicking quite often. I did some research online, lots of goood and or useless info out there. the wrist is relatively complicated, so what actually happened to your wrist is hard to know without seeing a medical professional. When I realized that my wrist was seriously fucked, I took a month of from climbing, I also read a section of the book "A tooth from the tigers mouth" (an amazing book on chinese sports medicine) about wrist injuries, I rubbed "tendon lotion" (which is a super badass chinese herbal lotion for tendons) into my wrist every day, and I got those balls with bells inside (actually I got 2 round amethyst stones, cuz I love rocks) these you roll around in your hand, you try to roll them without them clacking together for a while, then roll them around each other, while they are in full contact. This builds up the strength of the wrist. With this regimen, my wrist is now back in full effect, I have read ALOT of stories of people whose wrists never went back to normal, and while some people may have had unhealable injuries, my guess is that many people had injuries they could have healed, but they never tried to rehabilitate their wrist. Dont let this happen to you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook