Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

TJGoSurf

Oct 16, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #51 of 88 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of the climbing selection at the store in Greensboro. I was in the market for a new harness, this was my selection: BD Alpine Bod, BW kid harness, BD momentum, the female momentum, Petzl Adjama or the Petzl luna. But my complaint is gear, not shoes. I pick mine up from a local shop.

climbsomething

Oct 16, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #52 of 88 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Just so you guys don't think it's only for you bigger sizes.

I can't even try on shoes at REI. Any time I've been in they don't carry ANY model in a size 4 women's. I guess it's just not the average climber's size.

Damn, cause I sure feel like an average climber...

That being said, there are perks. My "small feet discount" makes up for the cost of shipping the wrong fit back.

But it means that REI will only get my money in other ways...their kid's shoe/sock section can be awesome!

ls
What she said.

A 45 in Sportivas is huge, especially their unlined leather stuff. I wear a size 33 in Miuras and a 32 in Mythos, and a 35 or 35.5 in other brands. And those size 2s and 3s cost the same as Size Normally Developed Human.

Having weird sized feet just isn't fair. I've always known this.

marc801

Oct 16, 2009, 7:25 PM
Post #53 of 88 (2645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
At any rate, I just saw a 20% off coupon for Backcountry.com on the New Hot Deals thread. They are shipping a pair of Galileos directly to my house for free.

Suck on that, REI.
Gee. I wonder where Backcountry might have obtained their stock.....
And 20% off? That and the free shipping pretty much chewed up all their margin on those shoes.

unrooted

Oct 16, 2009, 8:46 PM
Post #54 of 88 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photoguy190] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just order the shoes in your size, then return em when you wear em down to the rand.

Partner macherry

Oct 16, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #55 of 88 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
cracklover wrote:
charley wrote:
Don't confuse me with facts. I just bwant what I want.
This is kinda funny since I believe I remember DMT knocking rei bad one time. They pretty much lost my business when I ask them about the difference in the auto belay function between a guide and a reverso. They told me they couldn't tell me. If I didn't know how to use the device they wouldn't explain it to me. I almost told that guy what an asshole he was but bit my tongue, was polite, and got to talk to the climbing guy when he got off the little wall. He did not sound like he knew what he was talking about so I didn't buy either. I did not buy the gift card for my friends birthday that I came in for either. Screw em. I'll shop elsewhere.

What a ridiculous story. You want to actually learn something from talking to an REI sales clerk? Why? If you want knowledgeable clerks, go to a local climbing store. If you want chain outdoor retail, you know where to go.

No need to get disgruntled about it.

GO

I just happened to stop in rei and thought I would ask. I got my answer by asking on rc.com. I also get disgruntled easy. I also bought most of my gear from climbing shops. I don't have a local climbing shop but I stop at the ones at seneca and the nrg when there. I bought most of my rack at pburgh climbing shops, mountain dreams and exkursions.

if you go to a store and they carry an item, they should be able to explain their product. And i will bitch to management if i don't get good service.

chossmonkey

Oct 18, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #56 of 88 (2574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
I was looking forward to using my 20% off coupon on a new pair of Galileos, but they don't carry them any longer.

Their shoe selection sucks balls right now. WTF happened?

Insofar as I can tell, they've realized that their biggest market is with people who have no intention of actually putting their products to their intended use. For that end, quantity beats quality.

They're well on their way to becoming another Eddie Bauer.
You are just now realizing this?

I thought this had been common knowledge for nearly the last decade?

Partner camhead

Oct 18, 2009, 2:26 PM
Post #57 of 88 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
I was looking forward to using my 20% off coupon on a new pair of Galileos, but they don't carry them any longer.

Their shoe selection sucks balls right now. WTF happened?

Insofar as I can tell, they've realized that their biggest market is with people who have no intention of actually putting their products to their intended use. For that end, quantity beats quality.

They're well on their way to becoming another Eddie Bauer.
You are just now realizing this?

I thought this had been common knowledge for nearly the last decade?

Yeah, I really think that Brittney Spears has sold out recently. I miss back in the day around 2000, when she was more of an underground indie phenomenon.

rtwilli4

Oct 19, 2009, 6:42 PM
Post #58 of 88 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Aside from the fact that you'd have to have a giant foot to need a size 45 in that shoe, think about the fact that you are going to a huge corporately owned outdoor sports retailer in which about 5% of the merchandise is climbing related.

Secondly, you are going to one in a part of the state that is at least two hours from any climbing and 4 hours from the bulk of the climbing.

Finally, don't forget that while REI is pretending to be a cool local non-profit "co-op," they are like the Wal-Mart of outdoor stores. They hire anyone who has a pair of hiking shoes and needs a job, and pay them $8 bucks and hour while their Pres. makes over $6 million a year.

nivlac

Oct 19, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #59 of 88 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Aside from the fact that you'd have to have a giant foot to need a size 45 in that shoe, think about the fact that you are going to a huge corporately owned outdoor sports retailer in which about 5% of the merchandise is climbing related.

Secondly, you are going to one in a part of the state that is at least two hours from any climbing and 4 hours from the bulk of the climbing.

Finally, don't forget that while REI is pretending to be a cool local non-profit "co-op," they are like the Wal-Mart of outdoor stores. They hire anyone who has a pair of hiking shoes and needs a job, and pay them $8 bucks and hour while their Pres. makes over $6 million a year.

You have facts to support that last statement? The CEO makes a pretty penny, but not nearly that much. Check out their financials:
http://www.rei.com/...trei/REIComp2008.pdf

TarHeelEMT

Oct 19, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #60 of 88 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

REI as a company does not carry the shoe above a 45 (standard for stores generally is to carry up to 48 in shoes) and will not honor their discount on it.

It has nothing to do with store location.

rtwilli4

Oct 20, 2009, 4:04 PM
Post #61 of 88 (2452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nivlac] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nivlac wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

You have facts to support that last statement? The CEO makes a pretty penny, but not nearly that much. Check out their financials:
http://www.rei.com/...trei/REIComp2008.pdf

Wow, you are right. I could have swore I had looked that up before and been surprised to see $6 mil and I was sure it was REI. Must have been another store. Thanks for the correction, now I look like an idiot.

Partner cracklover

Oct 20, 2009, 5:12 PM
Post #62 of 88 (2431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had an interesting experience last night at the Denver REI. The guy behind the climbing desk was fantastic! More experienced than I, friendly, open to an exchange of information.

Professional and knowledgeable. Impressive! Kudos to REI!

GO

pfwein

Oct 20, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #63 of 88 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

REI as a company does not carry the shoe above a 45 (standard for stores generally is to carry up to 48 in shoes) and will not honor their discount on it.

I'm not a bigfoot, but I call BS on the above. From what I see, size 48 equates to 15 US. I kind of doubt you can walk into Neptune's (or wherever) and try on a bunch of size 15 rock climbing (or any other) shoes. If I'm wrong on this, I apologize and I'll chalk it up to "you learn something new everyday."

TarHeelEMT

Oct 20, 2009, 5:30 PM
Post #64 of 88 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

I'm not a bigfoot, but I call BS on the above. From what I see, size 48 equates to 15 US. I kind of doubt you can walk into Neptune's (or wherever) and try on a bunch of size 15 rock climbing (or any other) shoes. If I'm wrong on this, I apologize and I'll chalk it up to "you learn something new everyday."

LaSportiva sizing chart:

A 48 is smaller than a 14.

photoguy190

Oct 20, 2009, 5:43 PM
Post #65 of 88 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
pfwein wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

LaSportiva sizing chart:
[image]http://www.sportiva.com/images/sizechart.gif[/image]

I wouldn't believe that, did you even try anything on? You seem to know what you want they didn't have it you didn't get a discount get over it. Not ever store has everything. Just so you know I have a pair of Lasportiva's that are 43.5 and I wear a 12. I think you should have tried them on.

pfwein

Oct 20, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #66 of 88 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
pfwein wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

LaSportiva sizing chart:

Interesting, my quick Internet search gave a different conversion, but La Sportiva's is the one that counts for La Sportiva shoes.
Nevertheless, I did a quick search of Neptune's shoe selection and didn't see many 48s (I saw exactly one out of a check of maybe 10 shoes).

I think maybe you're holding REI up to an unrealistic standard. But since I don't wear anything like that size, I'm sort of an observer on this and I'll go back to lurking now.

TarHeelEMT

Oct 20, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #67 of 88 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
pfwein wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

LaSportiva sizing chart:

Interesting, my quick Internet search gave a different conversion, but La Sportiva's is the one that counts for La Sportiva shoes.
Nevertheless, I did a quick search of Neptune's shoe selection and didn't see many 48s (I saw exactly one out of a check of maybe 10 shoes).

I think maybe you're holding REI up to an unrealistic standard. But since I don't wear anything like that size, I'm sort of an observer on this and I'll go back to lurking now.

I've worn a size 14 since I was 13. I've also worn a 48 since I was 13.

sidepull

Oct 20, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #68 of 88 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the OP about honoring the coupon. I don't agree they need to have every size imaginable, although I empathize with his frustration. Considering the point about the coupon, did you try talking to them? I'm surprised at how many people will give you a discount (even without a coupon) just by talking kindly. REI wants happy customers, Walmart of outdoorsmanship or not and 20% really doesn't hurt them much.

In fact, why can't you order it online where the coupon can be applied and then have it shipped to the store free of charge?

Partner cracklover

Oct 20, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #69 of 88 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
In fact, why can't you order it online where the coupon can be applied and then have it shipped to the store free of charge?

Because they don't sell it online.

Reading comprehension FAIL.

GTongue

mikewong

Oct 26, 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #70 of 88 (2309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, REI is no longer a shop for climbers.

I live in the Seattle area and they moved their climbing section from the front of the flagship store to the back about 3-4 years ago.

I think their main goal is to sell expensive outerwear. Of course, I still buy stuff from them, but they really are no longer just a climbing shop. There is more selection on the internet.

Mike

Khoi

Oct 26, 2009, 2:04 AM
Post #71 of 88 (2291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikewong] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikewong wrote:
I agree, REI is no longer a shop for climbers.

I live in the Seattle area and they moved their climbing section from the front of the flagship store to the back about 3-4 years ago.

Mike

I was in there yesterday, back in March, and last October. The climbing section was in the same place each time: the FRONT of the store, towards the right, directly next to the "The Pinnacle" 60' artificial climbing structure they got.

That's very very far from the back of the store.

newriverE

Oct 26, 2009, 2:28 AM
Post #72 of 88 (2286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not in anyway sticking up for REI, especially because I work at a core climbing shop, BUT... I don't think it's necessarily true that the standard is to carry up to 48 in all shoes. We do have some models that big, the other day I sold a pair of Spire's to a guy who wears a size 18 street shoe. He left with a pair of 48's and we had one pair the next whole size up... But, on average we carry up to 45 or 46 in most shoes. Sneakers and hiking shoes we carry up to 13's, but that's it. And, I think that our store has a very much above average climbing shoe selection. Don't forget that your favorite small shop will often send you what you're buying from rei or backcountry.com. We will regularly waive shipping costs to our repeat customers. It's nice to have your favorite shop still be in business when you travel to your destination crag. Racking up your member points doesn't make that happen.

marc801

Oct 26, 2009, 3:39 AM
Post #73 of 88 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikewong] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikewong wrote:
If you went to an REI in a more intensive climbing area, you'd see a big difference. In Salt Lake the climbing counter is up near the front - that would be in the big SLC store, the one that's bigger than Seattle. In the other SLC valley store (that's right, there are two here), the climbing counter (not section) is a bit more mid store.

mikewong wrote:
I think their main goal is to sell expensive outerwear.
Compare the margins and calculate where profit originates.

mikewong wrote:
...but they really are no longer just a climbing shop.
Yeah, that happened a few decades ago.

dingus

Oct 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #74 of 88 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Re: What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

REI is REI and it hasn't changed markedly in the +25 years I have done business with them. They haven't been 'a climbing shop' in 30 plus year or more.

They are an adventure outdoor retailer. One of their jobs is to maximize the use of sales floor space and to reduce the supplu of goods that don't sell. Unsold good carry not only the cost of the floor space to store them but the capital to purchase them is locked up at what, 10% depreciation, that capital could go to buying more pink snowboarding parkas.

Too, the REI-house brand of outter wear is the best it has ever been.

The thing that rubs some the wrong way is this... REI is selling to their paying customers, not to those who try-on shoes and buy elsewhere (you know who you are)

Now they don't hate you for fondling their climbing gear but buying online. No. They just don't plan their day around you or your perceptions.

DMT

sungam

Oct 26, 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #75 of 88 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does REI stock ptftws? I heard somewhere that you can only get those online.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook