Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

ACJ

Oct 26, 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #76 of 88 (1095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, if it helps any, They don't carry the Mythos below a 40 either... at least not in the mens that I have seen.

I think their shoe selection sucks for a reason. More and more I know of crappy people (in my opinion) who just wear through a pair of shoes and return them. This even happens with REI employees who are climbers.

acorneau

Oct 26, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #77 of 88 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Does REI stock ptftws?

Not for you, they don't!

Laugh

wmfork

Oct 26, 2009, 4:12 PM
Post #78 of 88 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people I know size their sportiva climbing shoes 1-1.5 US size down from their street shoe size.

silascl

Oct 26, 2009, 5:06 PM
Post #79 of 88 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
Most people I know size their sportiva climbing shoes 1-1.5 US size down from their street shoe size.

Did this really turn into a shoe sizing thread?

I wear a 10.5 street shoe and thought size 43 mythos were too big when new.

That sizing chart is bunk.

OSUbuckeye

Oct 26, 2009, 5:12 PM
Post #80 of 88 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [silascl] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes my favourite bar stops serving a certain beer and I only wish there was a message board for me to complain about. If you want detailed specific shoe selection, go to a climbing store or buy it online somewhere, or try a different REI. In Austin, certain stores will have better selection on certain items than others. If you only have one REI in your town, move.

Gmburns2000

Oct 26, 2009, 5:39 PM
Post #81 of 88 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

silascl wrote:
wmfork wrote:

agreed. For Katanas I can go down about 2.5 shoe sizes, but I have to go UP about three sizes for any Five Ten shoe to fit.

moose_droppings

Oct 26, 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #82 of 88 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:

Depends on the model.
I go down a half size for the Megas and a full size for the Mythos

TarHeelEMT

Oct 27, 2009, 3:40 PM
Post #83 of 88 (998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OSUbuckeye] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OSUbuckeye wrote:
Sometimes my favourite bar stops serving a certain beer and I only wish there was a message board for me to complain about. If you want detailed specific shoe selection, go to a climbing store or buy it online somewhere, or try a different REI. In Austin, certain stores will have better selection on certain items than others. If you only have one REI in your town, move.

I'm not sure how it could be any more plainly laid out in the thread that it isn't an issue of a single REI store not carrying the shoe, but rather the entire company.

dingus

Oct 27, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #84 of 88 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its an entire thread about a company not carrying one specific SIZE of climbing shoes.

A great wringing of hands, gnashing of teeth. The natives are in the streets carrying torches, they are beating on the gates now...

they are coming....

dm

TarHeelEMT

Oct 31, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #85 of 88 (929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

silascl wrote:
wmfork wrote:

Just got my new Mythos from the local shop. Sizing chart was pretty accurate. 47 was too small to even consider, 47.5 was short but doable, and 48 fit like my old shoes (5.10 coyote size 14) did when new. I opted for the 47.5.

Stumpy_Paws

Nov 2, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #86 of 88 (896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

charley wrote:
Don't confuse me with facts. I just bwant what I want.
This is kinda funny since I believe I remember DMT knocking rei bad one time. They pretty much lost my business when I ask them about the difference in the auto belay function between a guide and a reverso. They told me they couldn't tell me. If I didn't know how to use the device they wouldn't explain it to me. I almost told that guy what an asshole he was but bit my tongue, was polite, and got to talk to the climbing guy when he got off the little wall. He did not sound like he knew what he was talking about so I didn't buy either. I did not buy the gift card for my friends birthday that I came in for either. Screw em. I'll shop elsewhere.

First off, the sales people at REI told very specifically not to give any instruction in how to use lifesaving gear. Imagine for a bit the legal liability if improper information is given about a belay device, or information is misheard. The sales staff at REI is there to inform a customer why one device might be better for your needs than another, but specific instruction on how to use it is forbidden by management. He wasnt being an asshole to you. Besides, the BD Guide and the Petzl Reverso have no "auto belay" function, theyre both tube devices.

I think you may have been referring to the autoblocking belay functions of the Guide and the Reverso.

(This post was edited by Stumpy_Paws on Nov 2, 2009, 3:47 PM)

petsfed

Nov 2, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #87 of 88 (878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stumpy_Paws] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stumpy_Paws wrote:
charley wrote:
Don't confuse me with facts. I just bwant what I want.
This is kinda funny since I believe I remember DMT knocking rei bad one time. They pretty much lost my business when I ask them about the difference in the auto belay function between a guide and a reverso. They told me they couldn't tell me. If I didn't know how to use the device they wouldn't explain it to me. I almost told that guy what an asshole he was but bit my tongue, was polite, and got to talk to the climbing guy when he got off the little wall. He did not sound like he knew what he was talking about so I didn't buy either. I did not buy the gift card for my friends birthday that I came in for either. Screw em. I'll shop elsewhere.

First off, the sales people at REI told very specifically not to give any instruction in how to use lifesaving gear. Imagine for a bit the legal liability if improper information is given about a belay device, or information is misheard. The sales staff at REI is there to inform a customer why one device might be better for your needs than another, but specific instruction on how to use it is forbidden by management. He wasnt being an asshole to you. Besides, the BD Guide and the Petzl Reverso have no "auto belay" function, theyre both tube devices.

I think you may have been referring to the autoblocking belay functions of the Guide and the Reverso.

Now, when I ask about the difference between the soles of two boots, I'm not asking how to walk, I'm asking which one does what better. He asked about the DIFFERENCE between the two. If that's being misconstrued as instructional, then the sales staff really does know nothing about their products.

Stumpy_Paws

Nov 2, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #88 of 88 (869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] What the crap, REI? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The only one who can answer this particular question is the OP. If he asked, "how does this work", then the sales staff is not allowed to answer that, even is the staffer is Lynn Hill. If the OP specifically asked "whats the difference", that they can answer. Frustrating as the legal BS is, an entity as large as REI is a giant bullseye to an ambulance chaser should something happen.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook