RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ceebo

Dec 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #1 of 20 (8200 views)
Shortcut

Joint pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is this a normal phase to go through? im on alot harder routes now and the past months ive had some really nasty pains, somtimes its that much that my hand shakes by itself.

I dont know if anti flamitry pills would do more harm than good for this?. Ive tried resting and downgrading to give them a brake but as soon as i step it up and push myself the pain starts lingering again Frown

(This post was edited by ceebo on Dec 20, 2009, 12:35 AM)

rjroeger86

Dec 20, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #2 of 20 (8185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

where are you having the pain? and what kind of pain is it (i.e. sharp pains or more of a radiating soreness)? Is the pain occurring while you are climbing? After? Both?

Myxomatosis

Dec 20, 2009, 1:33 AM
Post #3 of 20 (8177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If its actually 'joint pain' take a look at your diet and consider eating more food's that help joint repair. (I think its collagen rich foods?)

Also there is glucosamine supplements.

But to me it sounds more like an over use injury..

onceahardman

Dec 20, 2009, 2:10 PM
Post #4 of 20 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Is this a normal phase to go through? im on alot harder routes now and the past months ive had some really nasty pains, somtimes its that much that my hand shakes by itself.

I dont know if anti flamitry pills would do more harm than good for this?. Ive tried resting and downgrading to give them a brake but as soon as i step it up and push myself the pain starts lingering again Frown

NO. Joint pain is not "normal." You are putting too much strain on them.

bothomsen

Dec 21, 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #5 of 20 (8071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try to climb more varied routes. like - don't just climb one type of routes/holds.

karmiclimber

Dec 21, 2009, 1:56 AM
Post #6 of 20 (8063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap. This exactly what my dr. told me. Followed by "lose weight to reduce strain." I'm 5'5 and 135 lbs. And I already exercise and watch my diet. Anorexia, ho.

ceebo

Dec 21, 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #7 of 20 (8007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its only in the elbos, its just a deep pain like theirs small stones in their or somthing. It hurts when i come off a rout but the pain goes away the moment i climb again.

It seems to be easing off though the past weeks, We climbed for a good 4-5 hours today and i got slight pain at the begining but it just went away and never came back. That got me wondering if i just had to kinde brake them in so to speak.

If the pain is as severe as it use to be are anti inflams a possible fix?

onceahardman

Dec 21, 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #8 of 20 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Do you honestly believe that the only problem with your elbows is a shortage of anti-inflammatory drugs in your system?

karmiclimber

Dec 21, 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #9 of 20 (7989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My dr. Said that they do normally treat it with nsaid's (I'm allergic), cortisone shots (do not want) and wrist and elbow excercises that I will be demonstrating on my vlog. Yippee:-) also I take msm, glucosamine chondrotin and use arnica on pains. I'm hoping to lose 10 to 15 lbs to alleviate strain also.

ceebo

Dec 21, 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #10 of 20 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:

Do you honestly believe that the only problem with your elbows is a shortage of anti-inflammatory drugs in your system?

If i believed it then i would not be asking the advice of climbers who may have been in the same situation.. i would just be poping pills?. Is it not worth asking befor i consider cuting back on the thing i love to do??

onceahardman

Dec 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #11 of 20 (7933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:

If i believed it then i would not be asking the advice of climbers who may have been in the same situation.. i would just be poping pills?. Is it not worth asking befor i consider cuting back on the thing i love to do??

ceebo,I dont want to belabor this too much...

OF COURSE you can mask your inflammatory pain with anti-inflammatory meds. If you were a pro athlete, and your million-dollar contract depended on you playing on Sunday, I might even recommend it.

On the other hand, if you would like your body to age normally, and still be able to move when you are 70, you might consider taking care of your joints, which are already warning you of trouble.

granite_grrl

Dec 23, 2009, 2:36 PM
Post #12 of 20 (7921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Crap. This exactly what my dr. told me. Followed by "lose weight to reduce strain." I'm 5'5 and 135 lbs. And I already exercise and watch my diet. Anorexia, ho.
Depending on your build, this isn't heavy at all!

karmiclimber

Dec 23, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #13 of 20 (7905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a tank, woman. No, really, it's not heavy. Honestly, it's pretty ideal for my medium build, as far as I'm concerned. The point my dr (who is my height, female and has 50 lbs on me) was trying to make was that the less weight I had, was less weight I was putting on my joints while climbing...so if I wanted to continue climbing, it would be helpful to take off what I could.

troutboy

Dec 23, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #14 of 20 (7902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Well, I'm not a doctor and it's rarely possible to make a confirmatory diagnosis without a additional data even if I were one, but the described symptoms are almost certainly tendonitis or some similar overuse injury.

Ice and anti-inflammatories will start the healing process by reducing the inflammation, but rest will likely be the only cure (that means NO climbing, or perhaps only very easy, non overhanging routes that will put little stress on your elbows). Cortisone is a possible help, but it depends on severity and personal choice.

For the future, incorporate some exercises for antagonistic muscles in the forearms, such as reverse curls, push-ups, planks, Yoga, etc.

A visit to the doc should confirm everything for you. If you lack insurance, one of the walk-in clinics can diagnose and confirm for very little money.

Google tendonitis and you will find mucho info, including the mentioned exercises.

The important thing is REST the joint, i.e. NO climbing. Hard to do I know, but it could save you much future misery.

TS

(This post was edited by troutboy on Dec 23, 2009, 5:00 PM)

nate2006

Dec 23, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #15 of 20 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Don't take the anti inflammatories unless you have to or try to use Tylenol. If you are really in that much pain and especially as of late then I suggest you take a break. Two weeks minimum, to let your joints heal back up. Longer resting is the key.

I'm have been on a 6 week break at the moment to heal back up. I was really starting to hurt at the end of fall. If you want to stay active during the break make it easy stuff. Minimal stress. Stretch out when you can and try to just stay active without the sorts of stress that climbing generates on the body. If you do climb make it short and sweet but not to tough. Just enough to keep you stretched out.

I have recently started climbing regularly again and I am only having minor pains. They don't linger and I have been giving myself 3 rest days a week. Hope that helps.

onceahardman

Dec 23, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #16 of 20 (7837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

troutboy wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Well, I'm not a doctor and it's rarely possible to make a confirmatory diagnosis without a additional data even if I were one, but the described symptoms are almost certainly tendonitis or some similar overuse injury.

Ice and anti-inflammatories will start the healing process by reducing the inflammation, but rest will likely be the only cure (that means NO climbing, or perhaps only very easy, non overhanging routes that will put little stress on your elbows). Cortisone is a possible help, but it depends on severity and personal choice.

For the future, incorporate some exercises for antagonistic muscles in the forearms, such as reverse curls, push-ups, planks, Yoga, etc.

A visit to the doc should confirm everything for you. If you lack insurance, one of the walk-in clinics can diagnose and confirm for very little money.

Google tendonitis and you will find mucho info, including the mentioned exercises.

The important thing is REST the joint, i.e. NO climbing. Hard to do I know, but it could save you much future misery.

TS

A minor nit to pick...

Inflammation is the necessary first step in the healing process. If there is no inflammation, there is no chemical signal for fibroblasts to begin building scar tissue to stabilize and heal the damage.

Otherwise, I generally agree. Rest is pretty clearly what is called for in this case. Taking a pill is not the answer, unless you are looking for a very temporary fix.

troutboy

Dec 24, 2009, 3:34 AM
Post #17 of 20 (7816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

A minor nit to pick...

Inflammation is the necessary first step in the healing process. If there is no inflammation, there is no chemical signal for fibroblasts to begin building scar tissue to stabilize and heal the damage.

But by definition tendonitis is inflammation in the joint, so he already has inflammation (i.e. your "first step").

But I'm not really qualified to delve deeper into this. More curious about your response than trying to argue a point.

TS

Myxomatosis

Dec 24, 2009, 4:46 AM
Post #18 of 20 (7811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup sounds like you got tendonitis.

Do some research and you will find all your looking for. There a few different types so check out www.climbinginjuries.com to figure out which one you have. Then start doing all the exercises listed on that website and a few more you can find around.

Then do not climb hard for next four months, only gentle climbing. I know you will be like me and feel better in two weeks then go train and make it worse.... but just try to hold back on the over hanging routes and take it easy for awhile.

If you got any more questions, shoot me a PM, I've had it for 18 months now, not able to shake it no matter what I do..

onceahardman

Dec 24, 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #19 of 20 (7790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] Joint pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

troutboy wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

A minor nit to pick...

But by definition tendonitis is inflammation in the joint, so he already has inflammation (i.e. your "first step").

But I'm not really qualified to delve deeper into this. More curious about your response than trying to argue a point.

TS

It's really not my "first step", it is the first step in the biochemical cascade that is healing.

"inflammation of the joint" is the definition of arthritis.

Inflammation of tendon is tendinitis.

This case could be either, or neither.

I'm through picking nits, sorry about that.

ceebo

Dec 24, 2009, 2:12 PM
Post #20 of 20 (7778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the replys, its very helpful.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook