Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #1 of 97 (7245 views)
Shortcut

1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you prepare for an indoor competition in 1 week?

Discontinue training and start "Carbohydrate Loading."

My plan is..
1 week prior to competition: Discontinue strenuos excercise and start stretching and drinking plenty of water. Doing some light aerobic excercise to keep the blood flowing.

3 days prior: completely discontinue any excercise? I've read that any excericse at this point will deplete your glycogen stores? At this point start eating nothing but carbs (90% of diet should be carbs?)

Morning of Comp: eat a carb breakfast, I'm thinking bagels? Tongue

So the questions is: How do some of you prepare in order to maximize your performance during a comp?
Opinions?

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #2 of 97 (7223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PlasticHead] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:

My plan is..
1 week prior to competition: Discontinue strenuos excercise and start stretching and drinking plenty of water. Doing some light aerobic excercise to keep the blood flowing.

3 days prior: completely discontinue any excercise? I've read that any excericse at this point will deplete your glycogen stores? At this point start eating nothing but carbs (90% of diet should be carbs?)

So the questions is: How do some of you prepare in order to maximize your performance during a comp?
Opinions?

I think you might be over thinking this.

west_by_god_virginia

Feb 26, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #3 of 97 (7212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i think you should not be eating anything and that you should be subsisting only upon beer, which is a great source of carbohydrates!

Grizvok

Feb 26, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 97 (7203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

My plan is..

Opinions?

That and his "plan" is pretty bad.

(This post was edited by Grizvok on Feb 26, 2010, 4:51 PM)

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2010, 5:56 PM
Post #5 of 97 (7184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grizvok] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grizvok wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

My plan is..

Opinions?

That and his "plan" is pretty bad.

Even by putting it in quotes, I think you give it too much credit.

panacea82

Feb 26, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #6 of 97 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what i would do. Call up your friends, grab some beer, and GO CLIMB OUTSIDE! Comps are for people that don't understand the true meaning of climbing. I have competed before but never on a serious level. Rock climbing is not a competition. It is purely for intrinsic value. Don't degrade the sport buy making it a competition. But that's just me and i am sure some people would disagree. Either way just make yourself happy.

cornstateclimber

Feb 26, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #7 of 97 (7164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [panacea82] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

id go with beer! not only is it full of carbs it also makes everyone better looking!

sidepull

Feb 26, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #8 of 97 (7150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hah, google is just amazing! I entered, "preparing for climbing competition" and lo:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/comp_preparation.html

http://www.mikedoyle.ca/...coachingdoc_10.shtml

http://books.google.com/...petition&f=false

My personal feeling is that if you're asking when it's a week a way then you've blown it - you should have asked 2 months ago. My other thought is that you should have searched and then asked a more specific, educated question tempered by some information about your level of activity. My final notion is that this is just a troll like 90% of the recent posts on this forum, and, unlike the past, it's not a funny one since you've cut and pasted information from the first URL I mention above. So you're either a thieving, plagiarizing troll, a well-intentioned moron who doesn't plan well, or just a moron. Take your pick and good luck at the comp.

gmggg

Feb 26, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #9 of 97 (7140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here is a revision to your basic plan, I think it will work well for you...

1 week prior to competition: Discontinue strenuos excercise and start stretching and drinking plenty of water. Doing some light competitive eating, vomit, give up, and realize that you are not a "winner"

3 days prior: completely discontinue any exercise. I've read that any exercise at this point will deplete your glycogen stores? At this point start eating nothing. Play Donkey Kong for 6 hours. You do not get past level 3. Realize you are, in fact, a "loser".

Morning of Comp: eat a carb , I'm thinking(no you're not)? Prepare to get fallen on and defeated over and over again.

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #10 of 97 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [panacea82] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

panacea82 wrote:
Here is what i would do. Call up your friends, grab some beer, and GO CLIMB OUTSIDE! Comps are for people that don't understand the true meaning of climbing. I have competed before but never on a serious level. Rock climbing is not a competition. It is purely for intrinsic value. Don't degrade the sport buy making it a competition. But that's just me and i am sure some people would disagree. Either way just make yourself happy.

I'm sixteen and competetion is merely for fun.

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 7:35 PM
Post #11 of 97 (7118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:

1 week prior to competition: Discontinue strenuos excercise and start stretching and drinking plenty of water. Doing some light competitive eating, vomit, give up, and realize that you are not a "winner"

3 days prior: completely discontinue any exercise. I've read that any exercise at this point will deplete your glycogen stores? At this point start eating nothing. Play Donkey Kong for 6 hours. You do not get past level 3. Realize you are, in fact, a "loser".

Morning of Comp: eat a carb , I'm thinking(no you're not)? Prepare to get fallen on and defeated over and over again.

this thread shows how rude and misinformed some people are. Go ask your moms to reteach you some etiquette.

All I asked was for some opinions.

lena_chita

Feb 26, 2010, 7:42 PM
Post #12 of 97 (7112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
I'm sixteen and competetion is merely for fun.

here is what you do:

1. Forget carboloading, or any other bullshit like that. You are not running a marathon, O.K.?

2. Climb as usual for most of the week. Skip climbing the day before the comp. (E.i. if the comp is on Saturday, don't climb after Thursday)

3. Get a good night sleep, eat a good breakfast on the day of the comp, pack some snacks and water with you, and have fun.

Even all of the above is not really crucial. I just went to a comp last Saturday. Didn't get enough sleep the night before, because I have other things in my life. Climbed pretty well, anyway. The guy who went with me climbed hard the night before the comp-- and still climbed really well in the comp.

It is really, really not a big deal, O.K.? Remember, you said it was for fun?

marc801

Feb 26, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #13 of 97 (7102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
That's exactly what you got. Don't cry if someone thinks you're a moron, in their opinion.

gmggg

Feb 26, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #14 of 97 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
gmggg wrote:

this thread shows how rude and misinformed some people are. Go ask your moms to reteach you some etiquette.

Misinformed? Only one of us has been to a competition. Trust me, you won't do that great, and some one will fall on you. Save the training regimen for later when you know what you need to do. Just have fun.

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #15 of 97 (7092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
gmggg wrote:

Misinformed? Only one of us has been to a competition. Trust me, you won't do that great, and some one will fall on you. Save the training regimen for later when you know what you need to do. Just have fun.

I won't do that great? You're the one that is misinformed. & Nice profile you got there. V4 and 5.10-5.11a? What a laugh. Wanna compete against me and see if I won't do that great?

gmggg

Feb 26, 2010, 8:23 PM
Post #16 of 97 (7077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
gmggg wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
gmggg wrote:

I won't do that great? You're the one that is misinformed. & Nice profile you got there. V4 and 5.10-5.11a? What a laugh. Wanna compete against me and see if I won't do that great?

Sure. But we have to compete outdoors. What does onsighting V4's in the wild translate to in the gym anyway?

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2010, 8:34 PM
Post #17 of 97 (7072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:

Yet you still have not accepted my invite to come climb at the crag I am developing. I just put up a short new route. It is about 13d/14a. It is 8 feet of v10 sandwiched between 10 feet of v8 and 15 feet of v6 with not rests. I use it as my warm up.

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #18 of 97 (7068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

Yet you still have not accepted my invite to come climb at the crag I am developing. I just put up a short new route. It is about 13d/14a. It is 8 feet of v10 sandwiched between 10 feet of v8 and 15 feet of v6 with not rests. I use it as my warm up.

Yet you still have not told me where it is. I'd love to see it and try it.

gmggg

Feb 26, 2010, 8:43 PM
Post #19 of 97 (7062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

Yet you still have not told me where it is. I'd love to see it and try it.
Laugh

Seriously though... Good luck with the competition. It can be a lot of fun. Even if you do suck it up you still will probably get a chalk bag - or other shwag - and some pizza.

glahhg

Feb 26, 2010, 8:48 PM
Post #20 of 97 (7058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
That's exactly what you got. Don't cry if someone thinks you're a moron, in their opinion.

You are a douchebag.

glahhg

Feb 26, 2010, 8:49 PM
Post #21 of 97 (7058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
gmggg wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
gmggg wrote:

Sure. But we have to compete outdoors. What does onsighting V4's in the wild translate to in the gym anyway?
Probably not much.

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #22 of 97 (7052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. It should be alot of fun. Even If I play donkey kong for 6 hours realizing I'm a "loser"

gmggg

Feb 26, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #23 of 97 (7051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glahhg] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

glahhg wrote:
gmggg wrote:

Probably not much.
Tongue

Sure feels that way sometimes.

shimanilami

Feb 26, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #24 of 97 (7033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that Chris Sharma's pre-comp regimen is something along the lines of, "I smoke two joints ..."

It seems to have worked out well for him. And for me too (except for the competition part.)

gmggg

Feb 26, 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #25 of 97 (7030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
Thank you. It should be alot of fun. Even If I play donkey kong for 6 hours realizing I'm a "loser"

Have you ever tried Donkey Kong? That game is hard. Almost everyone is a loser at it. And my advice was serious. I think it's important to realize that there is always someone better.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook