Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

panacea82

Feb 26, 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #26 of 97 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PlasticHead] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

"I won't do that great? You're the one that is misinformed. & Nice profile you got there. V4 and 5.10-5.11a? What a laugh. Wanna compete against me and see if I won't do that great? "
THIS is what im talking about. climbing is not about what you can climb its about enjoying the OUTDOORS and pushing yourself if you want. Me personally will be pushing myself on El Cap this year. If you want to know what real climbing is come to Yosemite this spring-fall and i will take you out climbing.

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #27 of 97 (3607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glahhg] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

glahhg wrote:
marc801 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
All I asked was for some opinions.
That's exactly what you got. Don't cry if someone thinks you're a moron, in their opinion.

You are a douchebag.

You are a moron.

PlasticHead

Feb 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #28 of 97 (3600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [panacea82] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I only said that because he was being offensive. I personally love climbing outdoors. It's the whole reason I got into climbing; but there's nothing wrong with some healthy competition every now and then. It's pure fun.

I made this thread for the purpose of seeing how those who compete "prepare before a comp." The rude and offensive remarks from some people are truly unneccesary. Unimpressed

MS1

Feb 27, 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #29 of 97 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
glahhg wrote:
marc801 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
That's exactly what you got. Don't cry if someone thinks you're a moron, in their opinion.

You are a douchebag.

You are a moron.

Maybe this can help bridge the divide between the two of you: http://tinyurl.com/ycqpn8e

johnwesely

Feb 27, 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #30 of 97 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
glahhg wrote:
marc801 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

You are a douchebag.

You are a moron.

Maybe this can help bridge the divide between the two of you: http://tinyurl.com/ycqpn8e

Helped a little.

gmggg

Feb 27, 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #31 of 97 (3574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
I only said that because he was being offensive. I personally love climbing outdoors. It's the whole reason I got into climbing; but there's nothing wrong with some healthy competition every now and then. It's pure fun.

I made this thread for the purpose of seeing how those who compete "prepare before a comp." The rude and offensive remarks from some people are truly unneccesary. Unimpressed

Sack up. There was not one offensive comment in this thread.

Potts875

Feb 27, 2010, 4:05 PM
Post #32 of 97 (3536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:

I agree....where else is one supposed to ask a climbing question? No matter what anyone posts here in the form of a question usually gets some moronic reply.

Good luck in the comp!

PlasticHead

Feb 27, 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #33 of 97 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Potts875] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Potts875 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

I agree....where else is one supposed to ask a climbing question? No matter what anyone posts here in the form of a question usually gets some moronic reply.

Good luck in the comp!

Thanks! I'll let everyone know how it went after the comp. Smile

Bats

Feb 28, 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #34 of 97 (3512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plasti,
I have been in several comps...what is really great is competitors are sometimes give you the best beta. Really one year I told a girl who I knew could do this route to do it, well she did and beat me. I didn't care because we still climb together and are friends. Its not so much a competition between individuals as it is between you and the rock. You get groovy t-shirts, beer(in your case since you are underage), food, new friends, and memories.

younggun

Feb 28, 2010, 3:32 PM
Post #35 of 97 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plastic head,

Have fun at the competition, rest the day before. Training starts months before to really prepare well. Climbing is evolving as a sport and maybe there are 2 sports now, one indoors and one outdoors. All the negative comments about "what real climbing means" are just opinions. Climbing can be whatever you want it to be and what it means to you. It is too bad there is so much negative energy around the sport, mostly from those who do not want change, and want to keep the sport "the way it was".

Younggun

sp00ki

Feb 28, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #36 of 97 (3460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

panacea82 wrote:
Here is what i would do. Call up your friends, grab some beer, and GO CLIMB OUTSIDE! Comps are for people that don't understand the true meaning of climbing. I have competed before but never on a serious level. Rock climbing is not a competition. It is purely for intrinsic value. Don't degrade the sport buy making it a competition. But that's just me and i am sure some people would disagree. Either way just make yourself happy.
Trust me when i say that it's not for anyone-- especially not some mediocre "climber" on the www-- to define what climbing is or should be for anyone else.
Attempting to tell someone else what climbing "really means" is the most absurdly laughable sentiment one can possibly find on this forum.
The kid is sixteen years old and wants to enter a comp.
Trust me when i say your best place in this conversation is a silent bystander.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Feb 28, 2010, 4:52 PM)

panacea82

Mar 1, 2010, 2:28 AM
Post #37 of 97 (3434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know your probably right. I should have just said nothing at all. The kid likes comps and FAR be it to me to be the all knowing all seeing climber to tell him what mindset to be in about climbing. I mean no harm of it and did state " But that's just me and i am sure some people would disagree. Either way just make yourself happy." But i hold true to my statement about climbing not being about comps or grades but purely for an intrinsic benefit. Either way its all about having fun and being with friends.

panacea82

Mar 1, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #38 of 97 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also spOOki, not trying to be agro here just extending an offer to you. Come to Yosemite this spring-fall (ill be working there for 8 months) ill even give you a free place to stay and feed you, and you can see how a "mediocre" climber spends his time climbing. Now i am sure you know nothing about big wall climbing so we can even just boulder if that what you would want to to do in Yosemite.

scottek67

Mar 1, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #39 of 97 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
glahhg wrote:
marc801 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

You are a douchebag.

You are a moron.
speaking of douchebag morons what the deal with this..."It is about 13d/14a. It is 8 feet" how can you rate something 13/14 when I can reach up to 8 feet?? back to the question... you're outa time. day of comp smoke a joint and drink 6 redbulls and you'll climb like sharma apparently.Cool climb barefoot, shirtless and don't forget the shades!

johnwesely

Mar 1, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #40 of 97 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
glahhg wrote:
marc801 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

You are a douchebag.

You are a moron.
speaking of douchebag morons what the deal with this..."It is about 13d/14a. It is 8 feet" how can you rate something 13/14 when I can reach up to 8 feet?? back to the question... you're outa time. day of comp smoke a joint and drink 6 redbulls and you'll climb like sharma apparently.Cool climb barefoot, shirtless and don't forget the shades!

Reading comprehension FTL.

ceebo

Mar 1, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #41 of 97 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats the typical grade u should be at for sport climbing comps?

i wouldnt mind trying to get in one some time down the line.

johnwesely

Mar 1, 2010, 5:33 PM
Post #42 of 97 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Comps almost always have divisions, so you could probably enter at almost any level.

PlasticHead

Mar 1, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #43 of 97 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Comps almost always have divisions, so you could probably enter at almost any level.

yes, comps usually are split up into skill level categories such as. Recreational, Intermediate, Advanced, and Open. You enter the category based on your current skill level.

desertwanderer81

Mar 3, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #44 of 97 (3305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:

I'm sorry, but you really do need to relax. I know you're 16 and ready to go, but everything I've seen from you screams an anxious teenager who is hard charging! This is great. Most of the folks here are very enthusiastic.

Really though, just relax. You're going to have a hard time with people as a whole if you're so high strung all of the time. What did you think would happen coming in here with your opening? Of course people are going to act dismissively towards you. Of course when you flame back people are going to come down you like a hammer.

Just... relax!

bustloose

Mar 3, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #45 of 97 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't sweat it bro, people who dis comps are the ones who have no idea what climbing is about. oh, and they're generally gigantic pussies who are scared of competing and try to hide behind "climbing is for me" statements and "purity" bullshit.

climbing is anything you want it to be and that includes comps.

comp preparation is pretty personal. when your last training day beforehand will depend a lot on how quickly you recover from a gym session, and what you do in that last session. most people i climb with will give themselves 3 or 4 days rest.

carbo loading is not the right approach either, just eat consistently smart and healthy and don't make major changes prior to a comp, you'll throw your body a curveball.

johnwesely

Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #46 of 97 (3280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
don't sweat it bro, people who dis comps are the ones who have no idea what climbing is about. oh, and they're generally gigantic pussies who are scared of competing and try to hide behind "climbing is for me" statements and "purity" bullshit.

That is such a true statement! I can't believe the insight you possess!

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 3:29 AM
Post #47 of 97 (3245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
bustloose wrote:

John, do you mind pming me as to where exactly that climbing spot you were talking about is located? I'm kind of interested...

guangzhou

Mar 5, 2010, 7:23 AM
Post #48 of 97 (3224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

I'm sorry, but you really do need to relax. I know you're 16 and ready to go, but everything I've seen from you screams an anxious teenager who is hard charging! This is great. Most of the folks here are very enthusiastic.
The world could use a few more dedicated and hard charging teenagers. Especially in climbing. I was sixteen when I did my first big wall, my partner turned 17 on the wall. I'm very happy to hear other teenagers are eager to push themselves. It's a trend that is disappearing in today's American society.

In reply to:
Really though, just relax. You're going to have a hard time with people as a whole if you're so high strung all of the time. What did you think would happen coming in here with your opening? Of course people are going to act dismissively towards you. Of course when you flame back people are going to come down you like a hammer.
Just... relax!

Why should he relax. If someone doesn't like competitions, do attend and don't respond to the question.

Personally, I don't compete. Never been interested. When I saw this question, I thought it might give me some insight on how to prepare for hard climbing project in a week. I would think some of the techniques used a week prior to competing would cross over to climbing on rock.

One thing about comps becoming more popular is that people will be able to earn a living at it. Coaching or competing. As more people compete and become more serious about competing at their best level, more research and data will become available on how to climb harder. This information will flow into the non-competition side of climbing help us recreation climbers improve even more if we choose too.

I don't enjoy climbing artificial walls, but I built a bouldering wall in my garage. For the first time in over a decade, I don;t live close enough to the crag to do my after work visits, so I now have to boulder indoors during the week. I enjoy the workout and the reward. Climbing walls have made climbing more accessible for climbers and are a great way to play. Whether or not you venture outdoors is an individual choice.

I am shocked at how many of you are talking to this 16 year old. I wonder how many of you would accept an adult talking to your son or daughter in the same fashion. Straight up rude. I don't have kids, but I kow better.

airscape

Mar 5, 2010, 8:07 AM
Post #49 of 97 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
How do you prepare for an indoor competition in 1 week?

Discontinue training and start "Carbohydrate Loading."

What kind of super five day marathon fuck you up competitions do you go to that you need a week off and carbo loading?

johnwesely

Mar 5, 2010, 1:04 PM
Post #50 of 97 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
bustloose wrote:

John, do you mind pming me as to where exactly that climbing spot you were talking about is located? I'm kind of interested...

I can't exactly do that. It is on private land, and I am the only one allowed to climb there because I know the owner. That, and the place is not exactly real.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook