Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #51 of 97 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
bustloose wrote:
don't sweat it bro, people who dis comps are the ones who have no idea what climbing is about. oh, and they're generally gigantic pussies who are scared of competing and try to hide behind "climbing is for me" statements and "purity" bullshit.

That is such a true statement! I can't believe the insight you possess!

John, do you mind pming me as to where exactly that climbing spot you were talking about is located? I'm kind of interested...

I can't exactly do that. It is on private land, and I am the only one allowed to climb there because I know the owner. That, and the place is not exactly real.

I shoulda known.

(This post was edited by PlasticHead on Mar 5, 2010, 3:18 PM)

johnwesely

Mar 5, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #52 of 97 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PlasticHead] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
bustloose wrote:
don't sweat it bro, people who dis comps are the ones who have no idea what climbing is about. oh, and they're generally gigantic pussies who are scared of competing and try to hide behind "climbing is for me" statements and "purity" bullshit.

That is such a true statement! I can't believe the insight you possess!

John, do you mind pming me as to where exactly that climbing spot you were talking about is located? I'm kind of interested...

I can't exactly do that. It is on private land, and I am the only one allowed to climb there because I know the owner. That, and the place is not exactly real.

I shoulda known.

That's life though. I was actually going to photoshop some pictures for you but never got around to it.

scottek67

Mar 5, 2010, 3:38 PM
Post #53 of 97 (3803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so its been over a week how did you do? and what did you do?

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 3:58 PM
Post #54 of 97 (3798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
so its been over a week how did you do? and what did you do?

The comp is tommorow. March 6th.
So far, I've taken it easy for the past week. I did alot stretching and ate well balanced diet. I feel great! I'll post again tommorow after the comp Tongue

scottek67

Mar 5, 2010, 4:04 PM
Post #55 of 97 (3794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cool beans. start pounding those redbulls and maybe a couple monsters just to add a variety into your diet. (last minute advice) Wink

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #56 of 97 (3792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:
Here is what i would do. Call up your friends, grab some beer, and GO CLIMB OUTSIDE! Comps are for people that don't understand the true meaning of climbing. I have competed before but never on a serious level. Rock climbing is not a competition. It is purely for intrinsic value. Don't degrade the sport buy making it a competition. But that's just me and i am sure some people would disagree. Either way just make yourself happy.

I'm sixteen and competetion is merely for fun.

Competition is never merely for fun.

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 4:14 PM
Post #57 of 97 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:
Here is what i would do. Call up your friends, grab some beer, and GO CLIMB OUTSIDE! Comps are for people that don't understand the true meaning of climbing. I have competed before but never on a serious level. Rock climbing is not a competition. It is purely for intrinsic value. Don't degrade the sport buy making it a competition. But that's just me and i am sure some people would disagree. Either way just make yourself happy.

Whenever, I go to compete, I try to just have fun..I end up doing better that way.

(This post was edited by PlasticHead on Mar 5, 2010, 4:16 PM)

gmggg

Mar 5, 2010, 4:18 PM
Post #58 of 97 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought you said this was your first comp?

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2010, 4:20 PM
Post #59 of 97 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

Whenever, I go to compete, I try to just have fun..I end up doing better that way.

Me too. But the fact that you said "I try to just have fun..." indicates there are other elements present.

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #60 of 97 (3780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

Me too. But the fact that you said "I try to just have fun..." indicates there are other elements present.

The mindset I have when I walk into the gym is: "Just have fun, don't worry where you place" I don't kick my self in the butt if I don't finish where I'd like to be. Most of my friends compete, so thats really the reason why I go compete, is to hang out and have fun with them.
I'd rather climb outside if I had the choice though.

johnwesely

Mar 5, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #61 of 97 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

The mindset I have when I walk into the gym is: "Just have fun, don't worry where you place" I don't kick my self in the butt if I don't finish where I'd like to be. Most of my friends compete, so thats really the reason why I go compete, is to hang out and have fun with them.

When I compete, on rare occasions, I do it to win. Anything else is weakness in the highest order. How do you think Sharma got where he is? He certainly didn't do it by "having fun" and "hanging out". He has the heart of a killer and of a true champion. Remember that tomorrow when you have to choice of helping your friend and losing or giving your friend fake beta and destroying the competition. Friendship is transient, but if you win, then you will be the winner forever. No one can take that away from you.

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #62 of 97 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

Then why are you worrying about how to prepare for having fun?

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 5:35 PM
Post #63 of 97 (3749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

Competition itself is what's fun. I'm preparing so I can do the best I can. 2 different things imo.

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2010, 5:42 PM
Post #64 of 97 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

Competition itself is what's fun. I'm preparing so I can do the best I can. 2 different things imo.

I'm not buying what you're selling.

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #65 of 97 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

I don't have to explain myself. You're the one asking questions.

edge

Mar 5, 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #66 of 97 (3738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

But you are the one ignoring advise from climbers who have been competing longer than you have been alive.

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 5:52 PM
Post #67 of 97 (3738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
I thought you said this was your first comp?

Go read the previous posts. I never said that. You assumed it...

This is my first comp of the season. I havn't competed in nearly a year.

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #68 of 97 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

But you are the one ignoring advise from climbers who have been competing longer than you have been alive.

It seems that rc.com has more than one definition for "advice"
I have yet to see advice from anyone besides Shockabuku. He gave me some good advice for speed climbing competition and I thank him for that.

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #69 of 97 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:
panacea82 wrote:

Sorry, it sure seemed like you were trying to explain yourself. I was just trying to make sense of what you were saying.

edge

Mar 5, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #70 of 97 (3711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:
I have yet to see advice from anyone besides Shockabuku. He gave me some good advice for speed climbing competition and I thank him for that.

Let's see... Sidepull and Lena Chita gave you great advice on the first page of responses. In your initial post, you admit to wanting to "maximize your performance during a comp." Fair enough, asked and answered. I bet you didn't even click the links provided.

Later, you admit that "competetion (sic) is merely for fun." That was before you got trolled into believing johnwesley was secretly developing an undiscovered wondercrag in Georgia. I thought that was fun watching you grab the hook and run with it against the drag.

Then you get all holier than thou, berating another climber for what is written in their profile. No one keeps those things up to date, and where exactly do you get off slamming .10d/.11a? Have you led that grade on trad?

I can't seem to find in this thread where you mention speed climbing, or where shockabuku (who is qualified to answer) replies to you.

In this thread you seem to cover all of the bases from the inexperienced n00b, to the defensive know-it-all, to the utterly gullible, and finish up with the train wreck of a thread that you helped steer. Casey Jones, you ain't...

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 7:03 PM
Post #71 of 97 (3699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations for stating the obvious. You wanna cookie?

gmggg

Mar 5, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #72 of 97 (3688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

Let's see... Sidepull and Lena Chita gave you great advice on the first page of responses. In your initial post, you admit to wanting to "maximize your performance during a comp." Fair enough, asked and answered. I bet you didn't even click the links provided.

Later, you admit that "competetion (sic) is merely for fun." That was before you got trolled into believing johnwesley was secretly developing an undiscovered wondercrag in Georgia. I thought that was fun watching you grab the hook and run with it against the drag.

Then you get all holier than thou, berating another climber for what is written in their profile. No one keeps those things up to date, and where exactly do you get off slamming .10d/.11a? Have you led that grade on trad?

I can't seem to find in this thread where you mention speed climbing, or where shockabuku (who is qualified to answer) replies to you.

In this thread you seem to cover all of the bases from the inexperienced n00b, to the defensive know-it-all, to the utterly gullible, and finish up with the train wreck of a thread that you helped steer. Casey Jones, you ain't...

Cut him a break he's 16. Although Casey Jones brings up another good bit of advice. Cocaine makes you climb faster.

johnwesely

Mar 5, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #73 of 97 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:

You realize that Edge is a corgi right? They are the most agile dogs by far, so you better watch out.

PlasticHead

Mar 5, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #74 of 97 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] 1 Week Before a Competition. How to Prepare. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
PlasticHead wrote:

You realize that Edge is a corgi right? They are the most agile dogs by far, so you better watch out.

I'm so scared.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQnrKvOTNg

edge

Mar 5, 2010, 8:12 PM
Post #75 of 97 (3671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PlasticHead wrote:

No thanks, I am currently not in my carbo loading stage.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook