RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

whipper

Mar 2, 2010, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2482 views)
Shortcut

Knee surgery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So my meniscus is torn, I do not have health insurance, and it is a pre-existing condition even if I were to get insurance, although I dont think it is on any of my medical records. I dont have the money for surgery. I am trying to get a job with beni's, but thats not the easiest thing to do in this economy, esp in this area.
Does anyone have any resources I could look into for financial help? Really need to get cut open, and I dont want to just have my buddy do it, but it might come to that. Any ideas?

JAB

Mar 5, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipper] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
So my meniscus is torn, I do not have health insurance, and it is a pre-existing condition even if I were to get insurance, although I dont think it is on any of my medical records. I dont have the money for surgery. I am trying to get a job with beni's, but thats not the easiest thing to do in this economy, esp in this area.
Does anyone have any resources I could look into for financial help? Really need to get cut open, and I dont want to just have my buddy do it, but it might come to that. Any ideas?

Move to Canada or any other country with a working health care system. Tongue

slavetogravity

Mar 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are English speaking hospitals and operate all over the world that cater to Americans in your exact situation. Hop a cheap flight to Mexico, Cuba, Thailand, India ect. and get the surgery you need for a price that won't ruin you. You'd be surprised how many American, or American trained doctors you'll be able to choose from.

The only thing that will be demanded of you is that you'll have to abandon all that patriotic crap you've be forced fed you whole life, believing that your country has a monopoly on quality health care.

altelis

Mar 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:
There are English speaking hospitals and operate all over the world that cater to Americans in your exact situation. Hop a cheap flight to Mexico, Cuba, Thailand, India ect. and get the surgery you need for a price that won't ruin you. You'd be surprised how many American, or American trained doctors you'll be able to choose from.

The only thing that will be demanded of you is that you'll have to abandon all that patriotic crap you've be forced fed you whole life, believing that your country has a monopoly on quality health care.

We probably DO have the best quality health care. Of course there are at least 2 caveats:

You need a shite-ton of money to afford it

We don't exactly have a massive lead on top position, and this doesn't disqualify other countries from offering truly outstanding service.

whipper

Mar 5, 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have thought about the moving thing, and if there are any really hot foreign ladies out there, that would marry me.....I could be down with that. I could also marry some one with really great health insurance. There are a few ladies on this site I would consider....PM me if you are interested.

PS. just because my knee is hurt, doesnt mean the rest of me doesnt work greatWink

reno

Mar 6, 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #6 of 19 (2392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, have you done any research into medical charities in your area? Have you bothered to talk to various hospitals, explain your situation, ask what options you have?

And, not for nothing, but if you have no health insurance, how do you KNOW that your meniscus is torn? Dis you see an orthopedic surgeon? Did she say you had a positive MRI? Who paid for the MRI? Positive Ege's Test? McMurray? Appley?

whipper

Mar 6, 2010, 1:07 AM
Post #7 of 19 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont KNOW, but I have seen one of the best orthopedic knee guys in the US, and with the research I have done...we agreed that that was most likely what it was, although I might have other issues going on, it presents very classically. No MRI, I know that I would prob need that before any surgery, but who can afford that without insurance?
I have started doing research into it, and yes, this is part of my research, asking advice is usually a very important part of that

reno

Mar 6, 2010, 1:38 AM
Post #8 of 19 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
I dont KNOW, but I have seen one of the best orthopedic knee guys in the US, and with the research I have done...we agreed that that was most likely what it was, although I might have other issues going on, it presents very classically. No MRI, I know that I would prob need that before any surgery, but who can afford that without insurance?
I have started doing research into it, and yes, this is part of my research, asking advice is usually a very important part of that

OK, well, I gave you a few suggestions. I'd wonder how you saw one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the US without insurance, but whatever...

Good luck. Hope you find help and heal up quick.

whipper

Mar 6, 2010, 2:31 AM
Post #9 of 19 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Friends of friends..he saw me as a favor....but whatever, what the hell did I do to piss you off? I asked a question looking for advice, not for any one to solve my problems.

Thanks though

reno

Mar 6, 2010, 3:21 AM
Post #10 of 19 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
Friends of friends..he saw me as a favor....but whatever, what the hell did I do to piss you off? I asked a question looking for advice, not for any one to solve my problems.

Thanks though

OK. Like I suggested, look around for medical charities in your area/state, talk to local hospitals about finance options, etc.

davidnn5

Mar 7, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
slavetogravity wrote:

We probably DO have the best quality health care. Of course there are at least 2 caveats:

You need a shite-ton of money to afford it

We don't exactly have a massive lead on top position, and this doesn't disqualify other countries from offering truly outstanding service.

Actually, I hate to tell you this, but you're not in top position by a fair margin (defined by life expectancy). At last count I saw, you were #27 in the world, *just* above cuba who spend 1/25th of the amount you spend on healthcare. Japan has the top health outcomes.

*health policy analyst - much better money than teaching*

altelis

Mar 7, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidnn5] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all, i was being partly tongue-and-cheek

and life expectancy is NOT a very good predictor of a countries health care system. there are a lot of factors (including advanced neonatal and prenatal care) that actually DECREASE life expectancy numbers

there is also a very big difference between life expectancy decrease due to poor health care and due to idiotic citizens making stupid choices and due to amazing health care that most people can't access....

davidnn5

Mar 7, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Without getting this too far off topic (I promise not to respond again!), you can use disability adjusted life years, life expectancy, anything you like. The reason *why* the american health system has bad results is plain to all; as you said, a large proportion of the population are simply unable to access it.

That said, it doesn't really matter what causes poor results. More people dying earlier, whether it's due to access block, unavailability of health insurance, poor infrastructure, etc, is a bad result no matter how you cut and dry it.

That system has proven conclusively that allowing market systems to entirely control markets for humanitarian needs (health, education et al) doesn't work. You pay more, you get more for some, but less overall by far.

altelis

Mar 7, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We aren't in disagreement dude!Tongue

That's why I said there were TWO main caveats, one being you have to be able to afford the system!!!!!

There is clearly a difference between a system that affords the most amount of care to the most amount of people and a system that values advanced "craft and technology" above and beyond the population effects of denying care to those who can't pay.

Again, we are in agreement. I was being sarcastic with my post. Americans who claim our system is the best in the world often are ignoring the plight of the non rich...

reno

Mar 8, 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

davidnn5 wrote:
That system has proven conclusively that allowing market systems to entirely control markets for humanitarian needs (health, education et al) doesn't work. You pay more, you get more for some, but less overall by far.

Which would be entirely true, if the US health care system were entirely controlled by a free market system. It is not, and therefore your statement above is total bullshit.

But keep on keep on keeping on speaking lies to power. Don't let facts stop you.

skibum14

Mar 8, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
davidnn5 wrote:

Which would be entirely true, if the US health care system were entirely controlled by a free market system. It is not, and therefore your statement above is total bullshit.

But keep on keep on keeping on speaking lies to power. Don't let facts stop you.
That's very true. I love how often people point to something that is the failure of a mixed economic system and then yell about the evils of capitalism.

wonderwoman

Mar 8, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from Accident and Incident forum to Injury Treatment and Prevention forum.

Hope you find a solution. Good luck!

onceahardman

Mar 8, 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about, instead of using things like "disability adjusted life years, life expectency, anything you like", we use things like innovative surgical techniques, development of artificial heart valves, artificial skin, advanced transplant techniques, development of immunosupressant drugs, recent advances in neurosurgery, etc.

These innovations come about more often as a result of capitalism.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen many worldwide innovations coming out of the vaunted Cuban medical system.

pikeymick

Mar 8, 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Knee surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a torn meniscus once, that is until they got into my knee with the scope. Then they couldn't find any tears. The pain from surgery was a 1000% times worse than the actual pain from the MCL tear that accompanied it. Get a second opinion, or at least a second read. Explain the situation to an Ortho over the phone they may read it for free. Best of luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook