Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

canadiac

May 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #1 of 13 (7054 views)
Shortcut

Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions  (North_America: Canada: Alberta)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Everyone,

I'm coming out to Alberta for my cousins wedding the end of June. While I'm somewhat familiar with the area, I've never climbed there.

I'm really looking to do some a) multipitch sport climbing (as I've never been around trad) and/or
b) some one-day mountains to climb

It will be me and my girlfriend, I climb usually 11's and she is more 9 and 10s so ideally I suppose a long 10a or b with a good view (possibly a summit top-out) is what im looking for.

or just a classic hike in the rockies. She has never been to western canada before (being a yankee) and I want to show her how awesome our country is.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

(This post was edited by canadiac on May 12, 2010, 4:59 PM)

canadiac

May 13, 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #2 of 13 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [canadiac] Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No help?

Partner j_ung

May 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #3 of 13 (7000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [canadiac] Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there's a ton of Alberta climbers on here. There are a few, though. Keep bumping your thread. Smile

canadiac

May 13, 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm beginning to realize this...but i mean it doesnt make sense! i just googled banff national park and this is the first picture that comes up
good gosh that makes me want to climb! I cant imagine living anywhere near there and not climbing.

i still have faith though, someone here has the beta
Attachments: banff-moraine-lake.jpg (84.9 KB)

canadiac

May 18, 2010, 2:16 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just going to keep replying to myself until someone helps me out here.

sungam

May 18, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What, no input from chossoholics anonymous?
Jeeze. Try having a wee look at the routes database on this site, maybe PM whoever is the routes editor for the area?

summerprophet

May 18, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Head to Lake Loise or Canmore for cragging,

For longer stuff, Check out Yamnuska, or Mt. Rundle's East side. You are likely to find that most of the mutipitch in this area use gear to augment the sport routes. (That may have changed in the ten years since I climbed there)

Sysiphus summits at one time was the longest sport climb in the world at 22 pitches. If I remember it was mid to hard 5.10.

Alberta is a big place....... Perhaps you you narrowed down where you were looking at, you may have a little more advice.

olderic

May 18, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BINGO - EEOR (East End of Rundle) has 3-4 multi pitch sport routes that fit your criteria and end on a summit (sort of). Summits of S is a LONG day. Not sure how agressive hikers you are - the easy route up Temple starts out with a beautifull hike through meadows and past ponds but where the trail ends (goes over a pass actually) you need to go up several 1000 feet of endless scree to hit the summit. Lots of work but surprisnly quite popular.

markcarlson

Jun 9, 2010, 5:24 AM
Post #9 of 13 (6819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Walk of Ages / Flirting with the Bosch would make for a nice day.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Creek/Bourgeau_Rock/

They are not too long, but the atmosphere is better than many crags (Back of the Lake not included, of course.)

Cardiac Arete is on my tick list for this summer. I don't know if it will be in condition by the end of June this year, however.

Ballista is another that comes to mind.

Sea of Dreams might be worth looking into as well.

You could also stop by a climbing shop in Canmore or Banff and ask them.

canadiac

Jun 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markcarlson] Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi guys,
thanks for all the help so far! im coming friday the 18th and staying for a week. if anyone is going out let me know!

im looking into all these routes now.

thanks again

the_climber

Jun 16, 2010, 3:08 AM
Post #11 of 13 (6748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Summer Classics-looking for route/craig suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I don't think there's a ton of Alberta climbers on here. There are a few, though. Keep bumping your thread. Smile

There are lots of us here in Alberta online... most of us check the Canada forum more than the Regional.

sungam wrote:
What, no input from chossoholics anonymous?
Jeeze. Try having a wee look at the routes database on this site, maybe PM whoever is the routes editor for the area?

See above Magnus.
We're always on the rock and drinkin' the beers [trad]... BigRock Traditional that is, and Trad[itional] climbin'

canadiac, drop a line in the BVX thread in the Canada Forum and stop by on Pub night for all the info.

granite_grrl

Jun 26, 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure hope the wedding is in Calgary instead of Edmonton or even Ft. Mac. You never specified and Alberta is quite a bit bigger than Texas.

granite_grrl

Jun 26, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll find most of the Alberta posters on this site hanging out here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook