Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Jul 16, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #76 of 241 (6445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
welle wrote:
I think I saw you on one in one of your photos ;) It has it all - airy traverse, cool arete, clean face and a thin fingercrack. Also Dick Williams last summer favored one particular balancey face climb that's in the High E vicinity - he recommended it to a friend visiting from out of town. Does GGG in the Nears have 3 stars? I forget... but it has interesting moves and finishes with a great jug haul as well.

I really didn't like Moonlight. Greg will vouch for me.
Ursula?
I never got on GGG. It seems like no matter how long the trip, you can never do everything.

yeah, he felt a little uncomfortable was seriously going to fall on the crux. I never realized before then that the traverse was harder for taller people.

5.6+++++

not a good place to fall either. gear isn't that great just before the traverse.

I noticed that.

welle

Jul 16, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #77 of 241 (6436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
welle wrote:
I think I saw you on one in one of your photos ;) It has it all - airy traverse, cool arete, clean face and a thin fingercrack. Also Dick Williams last summer favored one particular balancey face climb that's in the High E vicinity - he recommended it to a friend visiting from out of town. Does GGG in the Nears have 3 stars? I forget... but it has interesting moves and finishes with a great jug haul as well.

Ursula?
I never got on GGG. It seems like no matter how long the trip, you can never do everything.

yeah, he felt a little uncomfortable was seriously going to fall on the crux. I never realized before then that the traverse was harder for taller people.

5.6+++++

not a good place to fall either. gear isn't that great just before the traverse.

I noticed that.

true dat. to me the crux was the runout arete after the traverse and tiny fingerlocks with your feet smearing on blank face! The 5.6 Dick Williams recommended to my friend is "The Last will be first". I'm with you on High E though - something about that steep and exposed wall on incut but overchalked greasy jugs cause a mild pump to scale up the pucker factor!

johnwesely

Jul 16, 2010, 6:47 PM
Post #78 of 241 (6435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

welle wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
welle wrote:

Ursula?

5.6+++++

I noticed that.

true dat. to me the crux was the runout arete after the traverse and tiny fingerlocks with your feet smearing on blank face! The 5.6 Dick Williams recommended to my friend is "The Last will be first". I'm with you on High E though - something about that steep and exposed wall on incut but overchalked greasy jugs cause a mild pump to scale up the pucker factor!

Now you spoiled it. You were being so cryptic before.

welle

Jul 16, 2010, 7:00 PM
Post #79 of 241 (6425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, sorry! That's because at first I thought 3 stars were meant to keep tourists away from good climbs. But thinking back, not many would enjoy these climbs since they're a tad harder and/or more sustained. People like getting on climbs with short cruxes - the way everyone loves Arrow...

rangerrob

Jul 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #80 of 241 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best 5.6 in the Gunks that doesn't have 3 stars.......The Last Shall Be First.

The hardest 5.6 in the Gunks......Wisecrack.

Moonlight blows away High E or Shockleys's. The best 5.6 overall.........Madame G's

johnwesely

Jul 17, 2010, 1:30 AM
Post #81 of 241 (6370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What exactly makes moonlight better than High E?

losbill

Jul 18, 2010, 2:50 AM
Post #82 of 241 (6326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What the hell?!?!?! Gail, weren't you feeding the poor boy?!?!?! John if I had known you were such on short rations Bob and I would have invited you out to dinner and filled you up the Saturday we met you at the base of CCK. Very much enjoying the write ups. Fun to compare and contrast them after my exposure to your dry wit and "insightful" commentary on various issues over at the Bonnie's Roof area.

gblauer

Jul 18, 2010, 4:28 AM
Post #83 of 241 (6314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
What the hell?!?!?! Gail, weren't you feeding the poor boy?!?!?!

Bill, of course we fed the poor boy! We even showered him too! And let him do his laundry. Alas, his nutrition was awful when I was not around. LIttle Debbie peanut butter snack cakes, pudding cups; high calorie. empty calorie snacks. Without a cooler he had to stick to non perishable foods. He claims he gained weight on the trip (muscle), that may be true, but I sure didn't see it. He was skinny as a rail when he left.

charley

Jul 18, 2010, 1:11 PM
Post #84 of 241 (6294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the best tr's I have read here. Good writing and good story. Congrats on the growth and getting back to climbing rock. I can't wait for more.

(This post was edited by charley on Jul 18, 2010, 1:13 PM)

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 1:43 PM
Post #85 of 241 (6282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
losbill wrote:
What the hell?!?!?! Gail, weren't you feeding the poor boy?!?!?!

Bill, of course we fed the poor boy! We even showered him too! And let him do his laundry. Alas, his nutrition was awful when I was not around. LIttle Debbie peanut butter snack cakes, pudding cups; high calorie. empty calorie snacks. Without a cooler he had to stick to non perishable foods. He claims he gained weight on the trip (muscle), that may be true, but I sure didn't see it. He was skinny as a rail when he left.

I gained almost 10 pounds during the trip. It is a medical fact.

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 1:43 PM
Post #86 of 241 (6281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
One of the best tr's I have read here. Good writing and good story. Congrats on the growth and getting back to climbing rock. I can't wait for more.

Thank you.

Gmburns2000

Jul 18, 2010, 2:11 PM
Post #87 of 241 (6273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #88 of 241 (6271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

Maybe if you are 4 foot 2 inches.

Gmburns2000

Jul 18, 2010, 4:02 PM
Post #89 of 241 (6252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

hey, that's 4 foot 6 inches to you buddy! Mad

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 4:08 PM
Post #90 of 241 (6247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

I really liked your last blog post, but if you keep exaggerating your height like that, I am going to have to change my mind.

Gmburns2000

Jul 18, 2010, 5:00 PM
Post #91 of 241 (6241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

I really liked your last blog post, but if you keep exaggerating your height like that, I am going to have to change my mind.

you'd better watch it buddy. those georgian cliffs don't look nearly as stable as the Trapps once did, and we know how that ended up.

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 5:27 PM
Post #92 of 241 (6234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

you'd better watch it buddy. those georgian cliffs don't look nearly as stable as the Trapps once did, and we know how that ended up.

Did you just one star blitz me?

Gmburns2000

Jul 18, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #93 of 241 (6220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

no, but I saw that and was afraid that you'd think it was me. it wasn't.

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #94 of 241 (6217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

It was probably climber photo bum. I one starred one of his pictures, and he sent me 3 pms telling me to change it. I changed it to a two star.

Gmburns2000

Jul 18, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #95 of 241 (6215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

everything.

just sayin'

It was probably climber photo bum. I one starred one of his pictures, and he sent me 3 pms telling me to change it. I changed it to a two star.

well, now you know your nemesis at least.

sungam

Jul 18, 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #96 of 241 (6201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

John. Get a jorb, work fuck-sick hours for 2 weeks, tell them to fuck off then get your ass to the RED!

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #97 of 241 (6197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
John. Get a jorb, work fuck-sick hours for 2 weeks, tell them to fuck off then get your ass to the RED!

By the time I got that done, I wouldn't have any more time to go to the Red. The Red is too hot now anyways. There are some north facing granite monsters that are in my sights though. We will see.

sungam

Jul 19, 2010, 8:24 AM
Post #98 of 241 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

By the time I got that done, I wouldn't have any more time to go to the Red. The Red is too hot now anyways. There are some north facing granite monsters that are in my sights though. We will see.
Dooettttttttttttttt.

johnwesely

Jul 19, 2010, 2:21 PM
Post #99 of 241 (6120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

Dooettttttttttttttt.

My financial woes are over. My father paid back some of the money he owed me. Time to rock climb.

boymeetsrock

Jul 19, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #100 of 241 (6111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who's sister did you screw to get one starred on every one of your posts?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook