Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bustloose

Nov 8, 2010, 7:24 PM
Post #26 of 48 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
I'm only going to address the water vs coke issue. Caffeine is a diuretic.
Well, the physiologists are disagreeing on that theory now.

Would you have a link for that ?

There's a link in the second reply in this thread for what you seek.

Looks like Coke is sponsoring them.

That's what I thought at first glance, but it seems more like Coke is just referencing the study. The study itself seemed to be independent of any suspect funding.

Go look up what Dr. Colgan has to say about caffeine and performance. in essence he notes that all tests on caffeine and athletics are done with couch potatoes, not true athletes which greatly skews the findings.
He suggests that the diuretic effect of caffeine in normal doses will have no effect on a properly hydrated athlete. He also notes that you will receive no performance benefits from normal doses of caffeine, especially if you intake caffeine regularly.

kachoong

Nov 8, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #27 of 48 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

That's what I thought at first glance, but it seems more like Coke is just referencing the study. The study itself seemed to be independent of any suspect funding.

Go look up what Dr. Colgan has to say about caffeine and performance. in essence he notes that all tests on caffeine and athletics are done with couch potatoes, not true athletes which greatly skews the findings.
He suggests that the diuretic effect of caffeine in normal doses will have no effect on a properly hydrated athlete. He also notes that you will receive no performance benefits from normal doses of caffeine, especially if you intake caffeine regularly.

You'd be surprised how good for you couch potatoes are. With the skin is supposedly better.

bustloose

Nov 8, 2010, 8:31 PM
Post #28 of 48 (1865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

You'd be surprised how good for you couch potatoes are. With the skin is supposedly better.

provided you bake them instead of deep fry of course!

jt512

Nov 8, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #29 of 48 (1863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [K-Tanz] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

K-Tanz wrote:
High fructose corn syrup is burned especially fast . . .

No it isn't.

In reply to:
. . . and will spike things like insulin faster than table or "real" sugar.

No it won't. If by "real" sugar you mean sucrose, then I would expect the insulin response of high fructose corn syrup and "real" sugar to be similar.

Jay

jt512

Nov 8, 2010, 8:51 PM
Post #30 of 48 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
theextremist04 wrote:
From my endurance mountain biking background, eating food that tastes good is really important. But try to find balance- PB&J is good, Poptarts, Snickers, etc. instead of just pure sugar.

How is a Snickers balanced? What's keeping it off the "pure sugar" side?

Well, it's 44% fat.

Jay

bearbreeder

Nov 8, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #31 of 48 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just eat .... dont worry about it too much as long as you get enough carbs and protein

its not like yr going out for a multiweek expedition anyways

when yr burning 4000-5000 calories a day or more ,,,, the bigger danger is not eating or hydrating enough

jt512

Nov 8, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #32 of 48 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

I don't know who Dr. Colgan is, but if he said that then he doesn't know what he is talking about. There have been dozens of studies of the effect of caffeine on well-trained to elite athletes.

That said, where do most climbers fall on the couch-potato–true-athlete continuum, anyway.

Jay

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 9, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #33 of 48 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP - Tucjer Tech, who puts up routes in JTree, in a swami, has never pulled any snack from his pack other than cans of beer, from what I have witnessed. Whiskey Mike, a local Gunkie, seems to subsist on ...whiskey...and pretzels and Twizzler licorice, and he leads 10's.

If you're into the concept of maximizing performance and nutrition is one of the tools, that's fine(and then yeah...maybe soda and chips isn't the best plan). But it seems to me plenty of climbers have gone pretty far with not such a focus on food....

bustloose

Nov 9, 2010, 8:31 PM
Post #34 of 48 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

I don't know who Dr. Colgan is, but if he said that then he doesn't know what he is talking about. There have been dozens of studies of the effect of caffeine on well-trained to elite athletes.

That said, where do most climbers fall on the couch-potato–true-athlete continuum, anyway.

Jay

I promise you Jay, that he knows what he is talking about. But i refuse to argue it with you, for obvious reasons

sbaclimber

Nov 9, 2010, 9:01 PM
Post #35 of 48 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

I promise you Jay, that he knows what he is talking about. But i refuse to argue it with you, for obvious reasons
I don't know (or care) what Jay thinks about this guy or your opinion of him, but one look at his website makes me 100% skeptical of anything he might have to say convinces me that is only trying to sell me something....Pirate

Edit for clarification Wink

I suspect there is *plonk* about to be heard...

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Nov 9, 2010, 9:06 PM)

spikeddem

Nov 9, 2010, 9:06 PM
Post #36 of 48 (1723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

I don't know (or care) what Jay thinks about this guy or your opinion of him, but one look at his website makes me 100% skeptical of anything he might have to say convinces me that is only trying to sell me something....Pirate

Edit for clarification Wink

I suspect there is *plonk* about to be heard...

And a +1

silascl

Nov 9, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #37 of 48 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

Not to be pedantic, but the claim you've made, that there are no studies on the effects of caffeine in true athletes is dead wrong. I reference such a study halfway down the first page of this thread.

hafilax

Nov 9, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #38 of 48 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [silascl] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IIRC, caffeine aids in converting fat into energy.

jt512

Nov 9, 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #39 of 48 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

Nice innuendo: "for obvious reasons." The only obvious reason you don't want to "argue" is that you're been caught dead wrong and have no argument to make.

You can make all the promises you want, but you've already demonstrated one of two things: Dr. Whats-his-name doesn't know what he's talking about (or he just lies), or you've misrepresented what he said. Like I said, there are dozens of studies of the effect of caffeine intake on athletic performance in highly trained athletes; and anybody who says otherwise is either grossly misinformed or lying.

Jay

bustloose

Nov 10, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #40 of 48 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [silascl] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

silascl wrote:
bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

Not to be pedantic, but the claim you've made, that there are no studies on the effects of caffeine in true athletes is dead wrong. I reference such a study halfway down the first page of this thread.

yes, i should have qualified that this comes from older literature. you have pointed out that there has been more recent research done on the subject, i have not ever looked for it. the point is that points he makes are still valid, and i would imagine that they are in line with recent studies on the effects of caffeine and performance.

and jay, you can just f*ck off, for obvious reasons.

sbaclimber

Nov 10, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #41 of 48 (1636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
silascl wrote:
bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

yes, i should have qualified that this comes from older literature. you have pointed out that there has been more recent research done on the subject, i have not ever looked for it. the point is that points he makes are still valid, and i would imagine that they are in line with recent studies on the effects of caffeine and performance.

...and yet another example of a spectacularly flawed understanding of how science works....
Anyone could still claim that the sun revolves around the earth is still a "valid" point if they choose to ignore the "more recent" research....Crazy

Edit: what's the max number of sub-quotes? Tongue

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Nov 10, 2010, 9:01 PM)

jt512

Nov 10, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #42 of 48 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
silascl wrote:
bustloose wrote:
jt512 wrote:
bustloose wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
aerili wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Jay

That was completely uncalled for.

Jay

hafilax

Nov 10, 2010, 9:06 PM
Post #43 of 48 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that good food will help you recover better especially the next day but you might not feel much difference the day of. If you struggle to eat real food while climbing then empty calories are probably better than none. Some sugar post climb should help a bit with glycogen replenishment.

real food > just calories > nothing

sspssp

Nov 11, 2010, 9:35 PM
Post #44 of 48 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
I'm only going to address the water vs coke issue. Caffeine is a diuretic. Your coke isn't hydrating you.

So when I spent three weeks traveling abroad and drank nothing but coke out of a can, I actually died of dehydration and I have been in hell ever since (chained to a keyboard/internet).

sspssp

Nov 11, 2010, 9:39 PM
Post #45 of 48 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
when i am climbing though i essentially just try to consume water, carbs, and a bit of other stuff during the day. i find that i eat more if i want to eat what i bring, so instead of pure water fresh sprung from a virgin mountain, i drink coke. instead of an organic rye sandwich with wild ham and free range mustard, i eat a packet of corn chips and a chunk of salami.

is this actually so bad?

I find it hard to eat enough calories, especially in really warm or cold conditions. I agree totally that bringing stuff, that you might not want as part of your permanent diet, that you enjoy more can help.

I can understand those who claim that downing a liter of soda and a chocolate bar will lead to a sugar crash. But for me, low sugar is a problem. I find sipping sugary drinks over the course of the day helps me stay active/energetic. Although I usually go sports drink like gatorade.

I don't know about you, but I drink so much coffee that the caffeine in a coke is irrelevant.

bill413

Nov 12, 2010, 1:27 AM
Post #46 of 48 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] "Real food" vs "Just calories" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
I'm only going to address the water vs coke issue. Caffeine is a diuretic. Your coke isn't hydrating you.

So when I spent three weeks traveling abroad and drank nothing but coke out of a can, I actually died of dehydration and I have been in hell ever since (chained to a keyboard/internet).

Well, there's your proof right there.

onceahardman

Nov 12, 2010, 1:59 AM
Post #47 of 48 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I agree, this was completely uncalled for. If you want to argue nutrition or exercise physiology as it relates to caffeine, have at it. Defend the science.

When you instead argue ad hominem,or "against the man", you make a logical error. This weakens the rest of your point.

Likewise, when you "appeal to authority" without being familiar with the literature.

I'm not saying you have to "like" Jay, I'm saying you have poorly defended your opinion.

theguy

Nov 12, 2010, 2:47 AM
Post #48 of 48 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
That was completely uncalled for.

Jay

Since the last post bemoaning the current state of the site, the tone seems to have improved, and I think I have to give much of the credit to Jay, since he had been responsible for much of the tone prior to that post.

So I believe Jay's right: let's encourage current good behaviour, rather than tar people for past bad behaviour, particularly when the tarring itself exemplifies that sort of behaviour.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook