Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Cliffhanger
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

 


nothinglikesun


Sep 22, 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3490 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 22, 2010
Posts: 2

Cliffhanger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know that story behind the Cliffhanger movie? I know the credits list Stallone, Michael France, and John Long, but their is also this pesky fact:

"Three writers claimed that Cliffhanger was their idea. To avoid jeopardizing the film's release, they were paid $250,000 each to drop the case. "

And I know it resembles a novel by Jeff (not John) Long, which resembles a story by Lynn Hill, which is based on an actual incident in Yosemite.

Anyway, does any know or can anyone direct me to the complete story of this? Huge thanks.


Express


Sep 23, 2010, 8:06 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3411 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 15, 2010
Posts: 64

Re: [nothinglikesun] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, so the bolt gun is real, eh?


bill413


Sep 23, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #3 of 12 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [Express] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Express wrote:
Oh, so the bolt gun is real, eh?

Yes. Unfortunately, it is kept in Area 51.


skiclimb


Sep 25, 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3327 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Posts: 1936

Re: [nothinglikesun] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

it is VERY loosely based on a plane wreck of marijuana in tuolumne.


bennydh


Sep 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #5 of 12 (3307 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2005
Posts: 368

Re: [nothinglikesun] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"lockheed lodestar weed"

google it, and/or use the search function of the various climbing forums.


BhamClimber5


Dec 14, 2010, 3:42 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2942 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2010
Posts: 3

Re: [bill413] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I thought they had bolt guns?


Express


Dec 15, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 15, 2010
Posts: 64

Re: [BhamClimber5] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

BhamClimber5 wrote:
I thought they had bolt guns?

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.


bill413


Dec 15, 2010, 5:51 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [Express] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:
I thought they had bolt guns?

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.

So it's possible that one could turn up on EBay occasionally, but you really want to know the condition.


dolphja


Dec 15, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 18, 2001
Posts: 298

Re: [bill413] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:
I thought they had bolt guns?

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.

So it's possible that one could turn up on EBay occasionally, but you really want to know the condition.

Pirate


bill413


Dec 15, 2010, 6:52 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [dolphja] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:
I thought they had bolt guns?

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.

So it's possible that one could turn up on EBay occasionally, but you really want to know the condition.

Pirate

That's not the bolt gun. Typical bait & switch - dolphja, you should be ashamed.


(This post was edited by bill413 on Dec 15, 2010, 6:52 AM)


kachoong


Dec 15, 2010, 6:58 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [nothinglikesun] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nothinglikesun wrote:
"Three writers claimed that Cliffhanger was their idea. To avoid jeopardizing the film's release, they were paid $250,000 each to drop the case. "

It was actually three cases and $100,000,000




dolphja


Dec 15, 2010, 7:09 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 18, 2001
Posts: 298

Re: [bill413] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
dolphja wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:
I thought they had bolt guns?

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.

So it's possible that one could turn up on EBay occasionally, but you really want to know the condition.
[image]http://www.filmcritic.com/features/images/badcomm.jpg[/image]
Pirate

That's not the bolt gun. Typical bait & switch - dolphja, you should be ashamed.

DAMN! IT! now i gotta watch this movie again? Mad maybe the prop-master will que in on this thread and give us a little insight on how we can attain one of these fine items


Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.55 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)
$80.06 (10% off)
$217.76 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook