RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Furious420

Dec 23, 2010, 8:14 AM
Post #1 of 23 (23476 views)
Shortcut

building a treadwall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, so i thought the idea of the tread wall was awesome but i dont have 6G's to shell out, but i'm pretty sure i could build it for at least half.
has anyone attempted such a feat? and if so how did it go? tips?

gmggg

Dec 23, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #2 of 23 (23428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Furious420] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense, but you can't do it. You can build one, sure. But you probably can't do it for less than buying one.

A while back in Climbing there was an artist who made there own that was hooked up to some sort of spirograph that drew pictures while he climbed. You could try to track him down and ask for advice.

ebag17

Dec 23, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #3 of 23 (23383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You can. And you will. And if at all possible. Gas powered.

gmggg

Dec 23, 2010, 5:24 PM
Post #4 of 23 (23381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebag17 wrote:
You can. And you will. And if at all possible. Gas powered.

Or better yet, gas refining.

darkgift06

Dec 23, 2010, 5:32 PM
Post #5 of 23 (23373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet you could do it, & if you worked in an industry where you could get materials cheep, or free it will be less expensive. Like someone who might have a motor collecting dust on a shelf in there shop. I think the key would be to make it simple at first, starting by just building frame with a rotating sheet of material strong enough to support holds, then start adding extra's like sensors that stop the rotation when you get to the bottom or sensors that tell if you fall off.

crazy_fingers84

Dec 23, 2010, 6:25 PM
Post #6 of 23 (23342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think spending 3gs on your own woody would be a better investment... better yet, spend it on your rack.

Furious420

Dec 23, 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #7 of 23 (23332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
I bet you could do it, & if you worked in an industry where you could get materials cheep, or free it will be less expensive. Like someone who might have a motor collecting dust on a shelf in there shop. I think the key would be to make it simple at first, starting by just building frame with a rotating sheet of material strong enough to support holds, then start adding extra's like sensors that stop the rotation when you get to the bottom or sensors that tell if you fall off.

good idea, the sensors bit would be a bit over my head i think though. do you think it's possible to, once frame and wall rotate ok, i could get it so i dont need the motor at all, and have the top and bottom, or just top, rotate slowly...the only problem i see is that the ideal speed for working on it would be linked with my weight and others couldnt use it properly.
this way i could belt it to a "gas generater" and it would be gas generating.. haha

spikeddem

Dec 23, 2010, 6:33 PM
Post #8 of 23 (23331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Furious420 wrote:
Hey, so i thought the idea of the tread wall was awesome but i dont have 6G's to shell out, but i'm pretty sure i could build it for at least half.

troll.

Have I become cynical? I don't know...

gmggg

Dec 23, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #9 of 23 (23318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Furious420 wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:

good idea, the sensors bit would be a bit over my head i think though. do you think it's possible to, once frame and wall rotate ok, i could get it so i dont need the motor at all, and have the top and bottom, or just top, rotate slowly...the only problem i see is that the ideal speed for working on it would be linked with my weight and others couldnt use it properly.
this way i could belt it to a "gas generater" and it would be gas generating.. haha

If simple electrical sensors are over your head then you probably shouldn't hold onto much hope for other areas of the project...

StuMsg

Dec 23, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #10 of 23 (23318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'm an engineering student, i think this sounds like a really good project idea. I think with some research into basic electronic circuits and mechanics (gears and structures) it could be awesome!
Also the idea about gravity based motion is likely to be harder to build and maintain. Attaching a generator is a great idea but not sure how useful it would be in practice.
If you would like some more info i could draw up some ideas

billcoe_

Dec 23, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #11 of 23 (23283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Furious420 wrote:

I don't know why you can't just buy an el cheapo treadmill that someone discards 15 min after NewYears resolution is forgotten when they realize that they have no will power after all and will remain 300# until they finally hit 400# and give up, turn it upright, screw on some holds and volia!

Instant sit starts.

Get yourself a new harness thinggy like this and Bob's your uncle!

It's not rocket science! Good luck.

bill413

Dec 23, 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #12 of 23 (23253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Furious420 wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:

I remember an early treadwall that was gravity powered. You wore a tether that was connected to brake mechanism, so if you drifted down the wall, it applied more braking force, and as you moved up further from the floor it opened the brake. The net effect was to keep you in one place. It wasn't smooth, but it worded without motors.

Partner rgold

Dec 24, 2010, 1:57 AM
Post #13 of 23 (23224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

None of the Treadwalls use motors. From the site (emphasis mine)

"The Treadwall operates by the weight of the climber. There are no electric motors. A hydraulic brake controls the speed of descent and maintains the climber at the proper height. The Treadwall cannot move after the climber steps off."

(This post was edited by rgold on Dec 24, 2010, 3:41 AM)

Furious420

Dec 24, 2010, 3:20 AM
Post #14 of 23 (23194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
None of the Treadwalls use motors.

actually they do though.... although its not to power the tread, its for the sensors that stop it or break it when your foot goes too low.

and dude if you drew up some designs for any reason i would love to take a look at em, especially from an engineer to be, (i'm a math major)
i'm still not sure when i'll be able to start this project, it'll probably have to wait till summer... has anyone climbed one?

acorneau

Dec 24, 2010, 3:20 AM
Post #15 of 23 (23192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

The one I tried out 5 or 6 years ago was gravity driven with an adjustment for resistance.

If you can get basic materials (steel, wood, etc.) at a reasonable cost and have access to the necessary tools (welding gear, etc.) then think you could make one for about $1k including holds.

Furious420

Dec 24, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #16 of 23 (23188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
rgold wrote:

The one I tried out 5 or 6 years ago was gravity driven with an adjustment for resistance.

If you can get basic materials (steel, wood, etc.) at a reasonable cost and have access to the necessary tools (welding gear, etc.) then think you could make one for about $1k including holds.

thats awesome! two of my good buddies back home are welders actually, so i could get some help with that. in your estimate what do would you use to hold the boards the holds would go in? like a cable?

tower_climber

Dec 24, 2010, 6:25 AM
Post #17 of 23 (23148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There aren't any electronic sensors in a Treadwall either. The Auto-Stop setting uses the levering action of your foot on the hold to lock the wall in place. Basically the tack dips in, and if one of the slats has weight on it when it gets to the dip a wedge locks in place and won't allow the track to rotate around the bottom end of the wall.

Furious420

Dec 24, 2010, 9:57 AM
Post #18 of 23 (23127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tower_climber wrote:
There aren't any electronic sensors in a Treadwall either. The Auto-Stop setting uses the levering action of your foot on the hold to lock the wall in place. Basically the tack dips in, and if one of the slats has weight on it when it gets to the dip a wedge locks in place and won't allow the track to rotate around the bottom end of the wall.

i see,
clever

acorneau

Dec 24, 2010, 2:38 PM
Post #19 of 23 (23091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Furious420 wrote:
in your estimate what do would you use to hold the boards the holds would go in? like a cable?

I'd look for something like used/scrap motorcycle chains (or something larger).

Alejandro11

Jan 12, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #20 of 23 (22883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This will likely not end well. trust me if there is anyone on the internet who has researched the treadwall more than me? .... then i am astounded!

please feel free to read my blog, it will give you more info on the treadwall than anyone should ever want to know.

i am in no way associated with treadwall / brewers ledge.... (i saw you posting garnet, ha ha ha! but he aint lying.)

at the very least, read this post.

http://treadwallproject.blogspot.com/2010/09/proprietary-education.html

and if you still dont want to pay top dollar, consider buying one used off the internet, the brewers ledge models hold up. i find them somewhat regularly and there is a slow market. you can modify them to be more like a treadwall kore. see the other posts in my waste of time blog!

(This post was edited by Alejandro11 on Jan 12, 2011, 8:42 PM)

flattexas

Dec 17, 2011, 6:30 AM
Post #21 of 23 (21766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will say building a Treadwall would be damn near impossible, but at the same time, I wouldn't recommend getting a Treadwall from Brewer's Ledge.
I ordered and have received the Treadwall Kore with the galvanized option and assembly has been one disaster after another.
The two spines were bowed out by the galvanizing process so the upper shaft and shroud didn't fit. Putting it together caused the spines to bend so now the boards don't rotate freely.
If that wasn't bad enough, 8 of the 40 spines for the boards had defects that required me to use a Dremel tool to render usable. And then one of the remaining ones had an irreparable defect so I have to wait for them to ship me another one. So with those components there is an over 20% defect rate.
There's also poor communication from their end. I called when I first had trouble but got voice mail with no return call for several days.
I spent over $7,000 for my Treadwall Kore and accessories and have what I consider to be a 1,000 lbs. paperweight.
I won't even get into the hours and hours of frustration and time wasted spent putting this thing together.
Find a local rock climbing gym.

vinnie83

Dec 17, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #22 of 23 (21703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flattexas] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flattexas wrote:
Find a local rock climbing gym.

+1

If you want to do this because you want the challenge of making and working through all the issues yourself then great, but you have a long road ahead of you. If you merely want to save a few bucks you're going to be disappointed. From someone who is an engineer and an avid DIYer, making a treadwall isn't rocket surgery, but its probably not worth it in the end. I have no idea how many of these things brewers ledge sells, but it probably took them a few tries to get something that actually worked and from the sounds of it they still have quality issues. For the utility a treadwall provides 7 grand is a lot of money, even for a gym or rec center (which I imagine makes up a large portion of the sales). If brewers ledge could sell them for cheaper and stay in business they probably would. Do you really think that (with no apparent experience) you're going to be able build a working design on your first try? Even if you do it will likely have frequent issues and require frequent maintenance. Factor in the materials and the time you spent working on it (the time it apparently takes to assemble a pre made one sounds ridiculous) and finding a minimum wage job and saving up for a treadwall might be a better option, or better yet, get a job at a climbing gym and climb while you work.

(This post was edited by vinnie83 on Dec 17, 2011, 5:42 PM)

RunRocket

Dec 17, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #23 of 23 (21662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vinnie83] building a treadwall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I make prototype fitness equipment for a living. You can absolutely build it for less than 6k. If you have all the metal fabrication equipment and wood shop machines that you need. I am so proud of how cheap I can build things, but I have $50,000 in tools and equipment at my shop. I will tell you how to build it by your self if you are still interested after all the nay saying. You need a welder, a 4-1/2" angle grinder, hand drill, a horizontal band saw would help you make a kick a$$ frame, but not necessary.

The steel will cost about $200, the bearings less than $150, maybe $500 in parts for the tracks and some wood.
You can even have it powder coated for $100 to really do it cool.
One issue is they may have a patent you would be violating. I hold patents and if someone can build my machines for personal use I don't care whatso ever. In fact I would even give them some tips if they asked.
Edit-afterthought: after thinking about it for about 3 more minutes, it is 99.9% impossible that you will follow through with this. So you should probably give up.

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 17, 2011, 9:19 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook