Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beginner Bouldering in NorthEastern PA?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Longie18

Dec 26, 2010, 5:40 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Bouldering in NorthEastern PA?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region: Emmaus_Boulders)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I'm trying to get started rock climbing, specifically bouldering. My biggest problem so far is finding a place to climb that's close to me. The nearest gym is about an hour away, and I guess that'll have to work for the winter. I was wondering, are there any good beginner routes at the South Mountain Emmaus boulders, or anywhere near Allentown that would be good to start at when the weather gets better?

michael1245

Dec 27, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Longie18] Beginner Bouldering in NorthEastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Delaware Water Gap

dbogardus

Dec 27, 2010, 2:15 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Longie18] Beginner Bouldering in NorthEastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Longie18 wrote:
So, I'm trying to get started rock climbing, specifically bouldering. My biggest problem so far is finding a place to climb that's close to me. The nearest gym is about an hour away, and I guess that'll have to work for the winter. I was wondering, are there any good beginner routes at the South Mountain Emmaus boulders, or anywhere near Allentown that would be good to start at when the weather gets better?

Lots of good bouldering all over the area. Check out some of the other areas in the routes database and talk to people at your gym. I'm sure they'll be helpful and you'll make some friends to climb with. Another good resource is paclimbing.com.

Haycock is one of my personal favorite spots. It's best if you go with someone who knows the area though as it's easy to lose the trails.

Good luck.

joeforte

Dec 27, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Beginner Bouldering in NorthEastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a lot of good bouldering in Allentown, and within a half-hour's drive. Emmaus, Bauer rock, South mountain, and Patriot boulders are all within 10 mins of center city. Outside of that you have the Delaware Water Gap, Haycock, various Appalachain trail crags, Lehigh Gorge, Big boulder, FE Walter Dam, Mocanaqua areas, Stover, etc...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook