Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bvdeenen

Nov 13, 2007, 9:42 AM
Post #1 of 13 (8953 views)
Shortcut

Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all

I've been struggling with a golfers elbow for about 2.5 years now. Have been to the doctor, have had some tests, and anyway, the orthopedic surgeon is offering to surgically fix it. This operation involves cutting out the diseased tendon plate, and letting scar tissue take its place. The results of this are "excellent" for 95% of the patients, so that looks pretty good.

I'm looking for athletes that have had this surgery done, to see if they were able to perform at the same level as before the injury and surgery. I'm still in doubt if I should have the surgery done, obviously I worry about the strength of this 'replacement' tendon, which is just scar tissue.

Thanks

Bart

tommez

Nov 21, 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #2 of 13 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bvdeenen] Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the same problem and would also like to know.

k.l.k

Nov 21, 2007, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 13 (8875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I had severe medial epicondylitis successfully treated with cortisone injections. This was back in the very early '80s, when they still injected the cortisone directly into the tendon. I also had shots for triceps tendonitis, but they were less successful. I was able to avoid surgery, and although I have occasional bouts, I have largely learned how to avoid serious flare-ups.

Jerry Moffatt had the surgery and returned to elite climbing, but I don't know the details. Things may have changed in the last few years, but the last time I reviewed the literature, in 2000, there was still concern that the surgery could create as many problems as it alleviated. One of the major challenges is that the medial epicondyle is not well supplied with blood, which seems to create a predisposition to tendonitis, but also poses challenges for surgery and rehab. I would look at the more recent literature and consult with a second surgeon who also specializes in sports medicine.

Whether or not you elect for the surgery, you need to consult with a really good pt/trainer who is familiar with climbing, since the initial condition was probably brought on by overuse or muscle imbalances that you will need to address before you can return to climbing.

Good luck-- elbow tendonitis is a pain in the ass. Just ask Jerry Moffatt, or John Gill, or John Bachar, or....

lonequail

Nov 21, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #4 of 13 (8852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had tendonitis in both elbows - had one operated on and not the other. Both are now totally functional. The tendonitis was different in my two elbows though, so I am not suggesting that surgery can be avoided. In my opinion it depends on how the elbow is responding and whether or not you feel there is progress.

For my right elbow, the tendonitis was more severe. More importantly it did not seem to respond to other treatments, and I eventually had surgery. It was probably 6 months until I was back to being reasonably strong, and maybe a year before I really felt like I could push it without fear of re injury.

For my left elbow I used several treatments including ultrasound, electroknesis (spelling?), and a cortisone injection. What seemed to finally work was heat before a work out, stretching, massaging, frequent light workouts, not overstressing the tendon, and ice after workouts. Massaging and especially cross-tendon massaging seemed to make a significant difference in contrast to the other measures which helped to a lesser degree. The one cortisone shot I had was the final touch that accelerated and finished the process. Throughout the process I could feel the improvement, although it was measured in months, not weeks. It was probably about 2 years before it was mostly healed, and 4 years for complete elimination of pain.

I am now very careful with both arms and diligently follow the above regime to avoid future problems.

bvdeenen

Jan 8, 2011, 7:00 PM
Post #5 of 13 (8581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lonequail] Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I managed to heal the golfers elbow through eccentric training exercises in early 2008. Effectiveness 100% and costs almost nothing. I (finally) decided to put my method on the web, in the hope that some other rockclimbers might benefit.
http://sites.google.com/site/healgolferselbow/

dugl33

Jan 8, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #6 of 13 (8566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bvdeenen wrote:
Hi all

I've been struggling with a golfers elbow for about 2.5 years now. Have been to the doctor, have had some tests, and anyway, the orthopedic surgeon is offering to surgically fix it. This operation involves cutting out the diseased tendon plate, and letting scar tissue take its place. The results of this are "excellent" for 95% of the patients, so that looks pretty good.

I'm looking for athletes that have had this surgery done, to see if they were able to perform at the same level as before the injury and surgery. I'm still in doubt if I should have the surgery done, obviously I worry about the strength of this 'replacement' tendon, which is just scar tissue.

Thanks

Bart

I'm confused. Your touting 100% effectiveness healing your golfers elbow (medial epicondyilitis) with eccentric training but now considering surgery(?)

What's up?

hbusch

Jan 8, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #7 of 13 (8557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I often get medial epicondylitis during a climbing season and that peaks mainly in August/Sept. I tried stretching and also the eccentric training mentioned by bvdeenen without success.
Then I tried with a cortisone injection. Pain disappeared within one hour and the elbow stayed 'calm' and painless until next year.
So my recommendation is: Try it with cortisone; it is a lot less invasive than a surgery. I am pretty sure it will help.
Good recovery.
AgeBee

bvdeenen

Jan 8, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #8 of 13 (8549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mixing up the old and the new. I considered surgery halfway in 2007, saw an orthopedic surgeon, who warned me of only a 50% success rate.

I did the eccentric excercises in the first half of 2008, and have been healed since then.

dugl33

Jan 9, 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #9 of 13 (8528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bvdeenen wrote:
Mixing up the old and the new. I considered surgery halfway in 2007, saw an orthopedic surgeon, who warned me of only a 50% success rate.

I did the eccentric excercises in the first half of 2008, and have been healed since then.

Whoops, didn't notice the original thread date...Tongue

onceahardman

Jan 13, 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #10 of 13 (8447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bvdeenen wrote:
I managed to heal the golfers elbow through eccentric training exercises in early 2008. Effectiveness 100% and costs almost nothing. I (finally) decided to put my method on the web, in the hope that some other rockclimbers might benefit.

Hmmm...

Wow! 100% effectiveness! For a "chronic injury"! That's really impressive.

Sorry for being snarky. It may have been "100% effective" for your specific case, and eccentric exercise is indeed among the most effective treatments for tendinitis (tendinosis) used today. I'm pretty sure I have posted up about it before on this forum.

But "100% effective" is a specific claim, which really requires some supporting empirical research.

I hope you really have found the cure for a condition which has eluded some of the great minds in physical medicine for generations. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Jan 13, 2011, 12:08 AM)

altelis

Jan 13, 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #11 of 13 (8434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
bvdeenen wrote:

Hmmm...

Wow! 100% effectiveness! For a "chronic injury"! That's really impressive.

Sorry for being snarky. It may have been "100% effective" for your specific case

60% of the time...it works EVERY time.

bvdeenen

Jan 13, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #12 of 13 (8408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Medial epicondylitis surgery experiences? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

100 % effective for ME. I'm climbing harder than ever, without any pains, and I don't stretch or do anything specific for my formerly injured elbow.

I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm just telling MY story. Do with it whatever you like.

onceahardman

Jan 14, 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #13 of 13 (8384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bvdeenen wrote:
100 % effective for ME. I'm climbing harder than ever, without any pains, and I don't stretch or do anything specific for my formerly injured elbow.

I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm just telling MY story. Do with it whatever you like.

I watched your video, and liked it. I have a couple of comments.

1) You are doing an eccentric contraction of the pronators. This would naturally include pronator teres, which originates from the common flexor tendon at the elbow. This same muscle was at fault in my own case of medial epicondylitis, which I healed effectively with manual techniques. I'm glad your way worked for you, and i'm not surprised it did.

2) In the video, where you point to your elbow, and then finger trace down your forearm, showing, "this is where the tendon and muscle is", you are really showing where the wrist and finger flexors are. Your exercise is really an isometric contraction of the wrist and finger flexors, and eccentric only for the pronators, which helps with the diagnosis, but is a bit misleading.

Thanks for sharing it, and it may well be helpful to others!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook