Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #1 of 43 (15223 views)
Shortcut

The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Balance, Flexibility, Strained Muscles, Stretching , and Overall Positive Energy for your body and mind.
Just to name some.
I was doing yoga for several months and it seems to relieve tightness and help with relaxation and sleeping.
I haven't done hot yoga but I've heard its wonderful for climbers.
Have you combined yoga with climbing? What is the result? Which type and your experience?

airscape

Jan 19, 2011, 8:29 AM
Post #2 of 43 (15214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Combining yoga and climbing is called a figure 4.

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 9:07 AM
Post #3 of 43 (15200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
Combining yoga and climbing is called a figure 4.

[image]http://home.messiah.edu/~ro1167/f4.jpeg[/image]

Wow, that's a great pose! Excellent Smile

JAB

Jan 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #4 of 43 (15134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Balance, Flexibility, Strained Muscles, Stretching , and Overall Positive Energy for your body and mind.
Just to name some.
I was doing yoga for several months and it seems to relieve tightness and help with relaxation and sleeping.
Have you combined yoga with climbing? What is the result? Which type and your experience?

It's about as useful as running or swimming. I.e. somewhat useful as an addition to the actual climbing in promoting a good general health, but that's about it.

granite_grrl

Jan 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #5 of 43 (15127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:
enigma wrote:
Just to name some.

It's about as useful as running or swimming. I.e. somewhat useful as an addition to the actual climbing in promoting a good general health, but that's about it.

I agree. I makes me feel good, and it really helped for my recovery after breaking my pelvis and femur, but I don't see how it directly helps your climbing.

jape

Jan 19, 2011, 1:31 PM
Post #6 of 43 (15111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to do more yoga, but in the last years I have found that pilates is based on more functional movement which, to me, is more helpful in climbing harder.

I also throw in the CORE program by Mark Verstegen, again, functional and ranged/coordination which improved my climbing much more than yoga.

But it's kind of where you are at and what you are climbing....

Heed the words of masters like Dave Macleod and Mike Anderson, if you are really looking to improve, ****most**** climbers need to climb more(!!!!)

jupiter

Jan 19, 2011, 4:36 PM
Post #7 of 43 (15037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jape] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I would agree that the best way to get better at climbing is to climb more, it is not good for your body to climb every day. Yoga is a good cross training activity for your non climbing days. Last winter in Vegas was pretty crappy and I ended up getting very little climbing done, so I did a ton of Bikram yoga, between 5-9 classes a week. Once the weather cleared and I could get back out on the rock, I ended up doing the hardest sport route I had ever done, and in a very short time.

I find that the increased flexibility and core strength are the most noticeable benefits. However, there are other benefits as well, including increased ability to focus and breathe while your body is at maximal effort.

One last benefit of Bikram or other hot yogas, hot girls in small outfits.

troutboy

Jan 19, 2011, 4:44 PM
Post #8 of 43 (15031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jupiter] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to the already mentioned:

1) Increased flexibility
2) Breathing and calming during lead climbing
3) Increased core strength (big plus here)

There is also:

4) Antagonistic muscle training to help prevent overuse injuries. Down dog, plank, up dog, basically anything using the "push" muscles of the arms will help prevent overuse injuries from all that pulling.

I would say (in my uneducated opinion, of course, which may be 100% incorrect Wink) yoga is one of the better cross training things you can do for climbing for these reasons. Maybe one of the exercise physiology/trainer people can provide some professional opinions.

TS

(This post was edited by troutboy on Jan 19, 2011, 4:44 PM)

Jooler

Jan 19, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #9 of 43 (14983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jupiter wrote:
While I would agree that the best way to get better at climbing is to climb more, it is not good for your body to climb every day. Yoga is a good cross training activity for your non climbing days. Last winter in Vegas was pretty crappy and I ended up getting very little climbing done, so I did a ton of Bikram yoga, between 5-9 classes a week. Once the weather cleared and I could get back out on the rock, I ended up doing the hardest sport route I had ever done, and in a very short time.

I find that the increased flexibility and core strength are the most noticeable benefits. However, there are other benefits as well, including increased ability to focus and breathe while your body is at maximal effort.

5-9 classes a week!? Jesus I wish I had a job like you to pay those bills...

bearbreeder

Jan 19, 2011, 7:52 PM
Post #10 of 43 (14970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

girls in tight yoga pants ....

or in underwear (hawt yoga)

Partner cracklover

Jan 19, 2011, 8:38 PM
Post #11 of 43 (14950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jupiter wrote:

+1

GO

jupiter

Jan 20, 2011, 3:45 AM
Post #12 of 43 (14875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jooler] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:

5-9 classes a week!? Jesus I wish I had a job like you to pay those bills...

It isn't cheap that's for sure. I've made it a priority and budget for it. I also have a yoga teacher for a girlfriend so I that helps too.
I used to have a back injury that I treated with 800-1600mg of ibuprofen a day for about two years, that is now gone, I weigh less than I did when I graduated high school, and I can touch my toes again.

enigma

Jan 20, 2011, 6:45 AM
Post #13 of 43 (14840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

troutboy wrote:

1) Increased flexibility

There is also:

4) Antagonistic muscle training to help prevent overuse injuries. Down dog, plank, up dog, basically anything using the "push" muscles of the arms will help prevent overuse injuries from all that pulling.

I would say (in my uneducated opinion, of course, which may be 100% incorrect Wink) yoga is one of the better cross training things you can do for climbing for these reasons. Maybe one of the exercise physiology/trainer people can provide some professional opinions.

TS

I agree I have heard it has helped so many people prevent injuries and help recover. Its quite soothing, and you do feel more into the mind-body connection.
Do you think the hot yoga is better? Which is your favorite one?
I did go once to a yoga retreat for a weekend in upstate New York. It was very intense , but cheap and good. It was Savanunger-Misspelled.
Jupiter-Lucky you have a yoga girlfriend.
Jooler- So which yoga were you doing? Sounds like you really did it alot. I think some places you just pay by the month, and you can go as much as you want.

jbk641

Jan 20, 2011, 1:08 PM
Post #14 of 43 (14798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great excercise for rest days
Great for clearing the mind of stressors that might impede top performance in your climbing.
Great for facilitating egoless climbing
If you have tight hips/hipflexors or adductors this can really help.
It does work core, maybe not exactly climbing specific but core none the less.
Strengthens your feet and proprioception
If your nursing an injury its a great alternative to fall back on while your recovering

shockabuku

Jan 20, 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #15 of 43 (14780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

troutboy wrote:

1) Increased flexibility

There is also:

TS

+3 for 1, 3, and 4 above.

2 may be valid as you get better at yoga.

jupiter

Jan 20, 2011, 3:25 PM
Post #16 of 43 (14764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"enigma[/quote wrote:

I agree I have heard it has helped so many people prevent injuries and help recover. Its quite soothing, and you do feel more into the mind-body connection.
The type of yoga that is best for you depends on what you are looking for. here are a few of the types I am familiar with
Iyengar - uses props to help inflexible students (blocks, straps etc.) focus is on precision in postures and proper alignment, not hot
Ashtanga - more of a flow style of yoga, focus is on postures and moving between the postures, also not hot
Power yoga - more of a fitness type of vinyasa flow yoga
Bikram yoga - can be very hot, depending on the studio, 26 posture series same every time, tough workout
I mostly do the Bikram yoga, it seems to be the most popular here in vegas.

cmagee1

Jan 21, 2011, 8:28 AM
Post #17 of 43 (14649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jape] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jape wrote:

But it's kind of where you are at and what you are climbing....

Agree. Currently Im super inflexible. Inflexibility tends to represent an overall imbalance in the body at least at some level (at least thats what Im told). Yoga is currently helping me with that and im seeing direct improvements in my climbing as a result. Its helped both my balance and flexibility while also conditioning my muscles and tendons a bit through stretching.

enigma

Jan 21, 2011, 9:14 AM
Post #18 of 43 (14643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jupiter wrote:
"enigma[/quote wrote:

The type of yoga that is best for you depends on what you are looking for. here are a few of the types I am familiar with
Iyengar - uses props to help inflexible students (blocks, straps etc.) focus is on precision in postures and proper alignment, not hot
Ashtanga - more of a flow style of yoga, focus is on postures and moving between the postures, also not hot
Power yoga - more of a fitness type of vinyasa flow yoga
Bikram yoga - can be very hot, depending on the studio, 26 posture series same every time, tough workout
I mostly do the Bikram yoga, it seems to be the most popular here in vegas.

Thanks for the descriptions, I heard Ashtanga is the hardest. The women I know from the regular gym can do these splits, and put her leg behind her head. She goes to India for the real thing, She said I wouldn't be able to do it.Frown
I do want to try Bikram, in California, they do some power yoga sort of.Unimpressed
There are these guys who are yoga teachers and they do have these particular type body. Something between a gymnast and a dancer. Guys are all of a sudden really into yoga.

(This post was edited by enigma on Jan 21, 2011, 9:18 AM)

enigma

Jan 21, 2011, 9:40 AM
Post #19 of 43 (14634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
troutboy wrote:

1) Increased flexibility

There is also:

TS

So the guys at Westpoint are doing yoga? Pretty Impressive. Do they do it before or after their marching?

krusher4

Jan 21, 2011, 2:20 PM
Post #20 of 43 (14592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guys are all of a sudden really into yoga.
yeah doing yoga is great...but girls in yoga classes alone are enough of a reason to go.

CinnamonJohnson

Jan 21, 2011, 6:02 PM
Post #21 of 43 (14554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so first of all, I agree. Yoga does benefit your climbing.

But the thing you are all failing to realize is that it only works because of the inordinate amount of time that you spend in yoga in PUSHUP POSITION!!!

Thats right, folks. By falling for this mystical yoga craze, you have *finally* been training those antagonist muscles like I have been urging you to do for all these years.

Downward facing dog?....Modified pushup
Dolphin plank pose?.....sissy pushup
Upward plank?....backwards pushup
crow? vertical crunchy pushup

You see, people?
You know, I might not always be around to help with indispensable advice. So, make sure you heed my $.02 about this. You can only go on climbing for so long without paying the pied tricep piper. Life moves fast, you could wake up and 10 years will have gone by in a blink, and all the antagonistic training will have passed you by. I hope you'll make the right choice.

Science Bless,

Cinnamon

shockabuku

Jan 21, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #22 of 43 (14537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
troutboy wrote:

1) Increased flexibility

There is also:

TS

So the guys at Westpoint are doing yoga? Pretty Impressive. Do they do it before or after their marching?

I suppose it depends on the individual. Usually most of the marching occurs at lunch time so it could go either way.

And women were allowed to attend West Point a long time ago - so not just guys.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Jan 21, 2011, 7:12 PM)

spikeddem

Jan 21, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #23 of 43 (14519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CinnamonJohnson wrote:

But the thing you are all failing to realize is that it only works because of the inordinate amount of time that you spend in yoga in PUSHUP POSITION!!!

Thats right, folks. By falling for this mystical yoga craze, you have *finally* been training those antagonist muscles like I have been urging you to do for all these years.

Downward facing dog?....Modified pushup
Dolphin plank pose?.....sissy pushup
Upward plank?....backwards pushup
crow? vertical crunchy pushup

You see, people?
You know, I might not always be around to help with indispensable advice. So, make sure you heed my $.02 about this. You can only go on climbing for so long without paying the pied tricep piper. Life moves fast, you could wake up and 10 years will have gone by in a blink, and all the antagonistic training will have passed you by. I hope you'll make the right choice.

Science Bless,

Cinnamon
You are such a visionary. I can't believe we didn't all listen to you sooner!

enigma

Jan 24, 2011, 6:36 AM
Post #24 of 43 (14315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
enigma wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
troutboy wrote:

1) Increased flexibility

There is also:

TS

I suppose it depends on the individual. Usually most of the marching occurs at lunch time so it could go either way.

And women were allowed to attend West Point a long time ago - so not just guys.

Share a photo of Westpoint Yoga if you can, thanks

jt512

Jan 24, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #25 of 43 (14311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] The Benefits of Yoga for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CinnamonJohnson wrote:

That's so coool! Not only does correlation equal causation, imaginary correlation equals causation! Who knew???!!!1111

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook