Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Feb 4, 2011, 1:41 AM
Post #26 of 136 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Woo! Motivation PTFTW!

Partner camhead

Feb 4, 2011, 1:42 AM
Post #27 of 136 (11684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think that one-starring JT's posts actually works even futuristically. I went to the gym tonight, sent my proj, then came home and one starred him! And scored the PT, too!

snoopy138

Feb 4, 2011, 1:47 AM
Post #28 of 136 (11682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Woo! Motivation PTFTW!

I'm curious as to whether one-starring your posts helps zend, but I'm afraid it will confuse the results, so for today I'm just one-starring jt's posts. I've gotten around 10 so far, hopefully this will translate into better climbing.

I plan on testing different factors, such as number of jt512 posts one-starred, timing of the one-starring compared to my climbing, recentness of the one-starred posts, etc., to see what translates best into better climbing.

Hopefully we'll have numerous people involved in the testing, so we can get better results.

tripperjm

Feb 4, 2011, 1:49 AM
Post #29 of 136 (11680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
camhead wrote:
I've found that climbing with internet jerks does not help me send. I climbed with Caughtinside and he slipped ibuprofen in my drink so that I could not jam my fingercrack proj. I climbed with Snupe and Donny, and I fell off Kansas City. I climbed with Arrogant Bastard and I couldn't toprope an offwidth. I climbed with granitegrrl and she made me clean a route that she bailed on. Ok, I guess that last one was a send.

What really motivates me to send is doing lots of pullups and eating good, lean protein, like in ramen noodles.

Yeah, AB had a similar impact on me. I couldn't climb shit with him.

Oddly, my motivation is not wanting to fail in front of certain people. Some people, I simply don't care, others I do. I don't care that much about success with myself, so that's why I don't push myself for my own benefit (It's simply not why I climb), but some people do actually impact how hard I push things.

AB kept me off the deck in the morning, but by the afternoon I stopped caring. shrugs.

A_B did what? That's knot what we sent him down there to do...

Gmburns2000

Feb 4, 2011, 1:52 AM
Post #30 of 136 (11672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
camhead wrote:
I've found that climbing with internet jerks does not help me send. I climbed with Caughtinside and he slipped ibuprofen in my drink so that I could not jam my fingercrack proj. I climbed with Snupe and Donny, and I fell off Kansas City. I climbed with Arrogant Bastard and I couldn't toprope an offwidth. I climbed with granitegrrl and she made me clean a route that she bailed on. Ok, I guess that last one was a send.

What really motivates me to send is doing lots of pullups and eating good, lean protein, like in ramen noodles.

Oddly, my motivation is not wanting to fail in front of certain people. Some people, I simply don't care, others I do. I don't care that much about success with myself, so that's why I don't push myself for my own benefit (It's simply not why I climb), but some people do actually impact how hard I push things.

AB kept me off the deck in the morning, but by the afternoon I stopped caring. shrugs.

A_B did what? That's knot what we sent him down there to do...

It's OK, though. I almost got him soon after with a large projectile dislodged during the descent.

We both have one more chance to knock each other off, except he's at a disadvantage because I know where the food poisoning is.

jt512

Feb 4, 2011, 1:57 AM
Post #31 of 136 (11664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Woo! Motivation PTFTW!

I'm curious as to whether one-starring your posts helps zend, but I'm afraid it will confuse the results, so for today I'm just one-starring jt's posts. I've gotten around 10 so far, hopefully this will translate into better climbing.

I plan on testing different factors, such as number of jt512 posts one-starred, timing of the one-starring compared to my climbing, recentness of the one-starred posts, etc., to see what translates best into better climbing.

Hopefully we'll have numerous people involved in the testing, so we can get better results.

Let me know if you need help analyzing the results. I'd participate in the study as a subject myself, but alas am precluded from rating my own posts, which is unfortunate, since I'm the one who needs the training effect the most around here.

Jay

tripperjm

Feb 4, 2011, 2:10 AM
Post #32 of 136 (11656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
camhead wrote:

Do you actually have to get on the climb before it's considered that you bailed?

Defeated before I even started......but I was thinking of starting to one star JT512's post to see if that helps.

Oh it's gunna help awlrite... I guarantee it! Soon ewe'll be sending like never before...

and that monkey on yore back at nite? Yea, he'll finish that kitchen... or he'll be looking sumwhere else to hide teh salami.

I'm telling ewe won staring JT512's posts is teh answer to awl of lifes woes.

Partner j_ung

Feb 4, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #33 of 136 (11634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Woo! Motivation PTFTW!

Let me know if you need help analyzing the results. I'd participate in the study as a subject myself, but alas am precluded from rating my own posts, which is unfortunate, since I'm the one who needs the training effect the most around here.

Jay

Register a new account!

drivel

Feb 4, 2011, 2:57 AM
Post #34 of 136 (11627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
jt512 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Woo! Motivation PTFTW!

Jay

Register a new account!

haha, then they can banz your original won and you can watch it languish!

tripperjm

Feb 4, 2011, 3:02 AM
Post #35 of 136 (11623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
camhead wrote:

Do you actually have to get on the climb before it's considered that you bailed?

Defeated before I even started......but I was thinking of starting to one star JT512's post to see if that helps.

I five starred one of his posts and I tore my acl ... definitely go for the one star

I'm just saying...

I had to find out teh hard way two.

Been werking on this new thing, tring to get teh bolts in and learning sum moves, but teh holds kept breaking on me and I wood be back to square won. This went on for a few weeks, so I wus getting pretty fuking pissey. So after an especially difficult day, in a really bad mood, I came across several of JT512's condecending posts... ewe noes teh wons, where he is kicking teh shit out of sum beginner. Anyways is a fit of rage I won stared awl of his posts in that thread. Next day, I managed to finish getting awl teh bolts in and figured out a few sections.

So things were going gud, my spirits were high, I was close to sending teh rig. And for sum stupid reason, that I blame on my gud mood... I came across a useful post by JT512, I noes I couldn't believe it either, but in my haste and I guess to encourage this seemingly gnu behavior, I gave teh post 5 stars. Next day at teh crag, I tore my biceps, two days later while getting out of my car I wus side swiped by another car and broke my wrist, and my dog pissed on my leg.

Still I didn't get it. For weeks I sat and sulked, hating everything and everyone in my life. I wus so dispondent, I woodn't even go into teh BET. Things were spiraling downward fast...

Finally, in a drug and alcohol induced stupor, I made teh connection. I imeadeately started won staring JT512's posts.... and things started to turn around. next weekend I got back on teh project and actually did teh hardest move first try. I wus hooked, I started won staring every post I saw of his. Within weeks, my blort wus under control, my arm didn't hurt anymore and I ended up sending the gnu gig.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

chossmonkey

Feb 4, 2011, 3:05 AM
Post #36 of 136 (11618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Its a well know fact that you can't climb shit irregardless of who ewe are doing nature hikes with.

tripperjm

Feb 4, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #37 of 136 (11615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
Motivation by hatred of yore enemies to send, is powerfull. Winning teh free shoes, well that just AWESOME!

Like most, I have had my ups and downs and have used many things to motivate my climbing preformance. To bout my buddies, win teh girl, get sponcership... ect.

Recently, even using awl the tricks in teh book, I have struggled...

... a year ago I wus weke, hurt, blorted and with no motivation to climb. Sure, I wood get to teh crag enough, but when I wus there awl I wanted to do wus shoot myself in teh fase. My climbing sucked and I hated myself and everyone around me.

Then I started to won star JT512's posts and things started to turn around. Soon I had a smile on my fase, I lost sum blort, my arm started hurting a little less and I actually wanted to go climbing. And when I wus at teh crag... I wus redsighting, tronpoynting, werking moves, getting shit done.

At first I wusn't sure about teh coralation, so I stop won staring JT512's posts... and almost immediately fell back in to my slump.

Still, won staring JT512's posts, is like sum kind of wonder drug. I'm sending several grades harder than before and awl my injuries seem to have gone away. I don't even have to go to teh gym anymore to stay in shape. I just sit down every nite and go tru a bunch of JT512's posts and give 'em awl a won star and BAM! I gets results.

Sure, I've read teh Self Coached Climber, Performance Rock and Rock Warrior's Way, but none of them wus as effective at improving my climbing, as won staring JT512's posts.

So If yore finger hurts, feeling a little fat or yore just not happy with yore climbing... Try won staring JT512's post. It werked for me, just might werk for ewe too.

I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks, so I may try this and see how I climb tonight.

If I remember correctly... didn't ewe won star a bunch of JT512's post just before ewe lost awl that baby blort and then went on to send teh Warm Up?

Gmburns2000

Feb 4, 2011, 3:12 AM
Post #38 of 136 (11606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Its a well know fact that you can't climb shit irregardless of who ewe are doing nature hikes with.

while this is true, it doesn't remove the fact and emperical evidence has begun to pile up.

tripperjm

Feb 4, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #39 of 136 (11603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
I think that one-starring JT's posts actually works even futuristically. I went to the gym tonight, sent my proj, then came home and one starred him! And scored the PT, too!

I have it on gud authority, tha Sharma won stared a bunch of JT512's posts, just prior to sending Jumbo Love.

snoopy138

Feb 4, 2011, 3:44 AM
Post #40 of 136 (11578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
camhead wrote:

Oh it's gunna help awlrite... I guarantee it! Soon ewe'll be sending like never before...

and that monkey on yore back at nite? Yea, he'll finish that kitchen... or he'll be looking sumwhere else to hide teh salami.

I'm telling ewe won staring JT512's posts is teh answer to awl of lifes woes.

I wonder if moderators get 5x teh effect on they're climbing?

k.l.k

Feb 4, 2011, 3:51 AM
Post #41 of 136 (11573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
This is a story about trying hard. . . .
A little more than two years ago, I quit my jorb to go climbing. . . . Motivation for me turned out to be a two year process. Do you have any motivational secrets?

Yes.

After three years of life as essentially a pro climber, you managed to "flash" a 5.11 sport climb with running beta. For that, your father figure rewarded you with free gear.

That was a shameful display of just what is wrong with America today.

I blame declining standards. I blame sport climbing. I blame Dr. Spock. I blame the loss of American pride in craft. I blame lax parenting.

And above all, I blame Preble for rewarding you with the patriarchal love that you clearly hadn't earned. (And which you repaid by posting semi-naked, homoerotic and insufficiently ironic moderate choss blort jpegs which drove the entire deal way out of the realm of victimless crime by punishing the rest of us even though we weren't complicit in tripper's inappropriate gifting of shoes.)

Nice story, though.

(This post was edited by k.l.k on Feb 4, 2011, 3:59 AM)

Partner camhead

Feb 4, 2011, 4:08 AM
Post #42 of 136 (11555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
A little more than two years ago, I quit my jorb to go climbing. . . . Motivation for me turned out to be a two year process. Do you have any motivational secrets?

Yes.

After three years of life as essentially a pro climber, you managed to "flash" a 5.11 sport climb with running beta. For that, your father figure rewarded you with free gear.

I blame declining standards. I blame sport climbing. I blame Dr. Spock. I blame the loss of American pride in craft. I blame lax parenting.

And above all, I blame Preble for rewarding you with the patriarchal love that you clearly hadn't earned. (And which you repaid by posting semi-naked, homoerotic and insufficiently ironic moderate choss blort jpegs which drove the entire deal way out of the realm of victimless crime by punishing the rest of us even though we weren't complicit in tripper's inappropriate gifting of shoes.)

Nice story, though.

KLK clearly did not get teh free shooz.

k.l.k

Feb 4, 2011, 4:15 AM
Post #43 of 136 (11550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Yes.

Nice story, though.

KLK clearly did not get teh free shooz.

If someone wants to give me free Testarossas or Merlins for flashing a 5.11 sport climb in my 'hood, I'll collect.

Actually, I'd like a free Das Parka.

But I'm not driving for it when I can order online.

Partner cracklover

Feb 4, 2011, 4:43 AM
Post #44 of 136 (11536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone has take to one-starring all my posts in this thread. I can't tell if that's punishment for answering a BET style thread with an earnest response, or a test to see if the JT effect works for my posts too.

Either way I guess I've proven myself to be one of the uncool kids, yet again.

GFrown

boymeetsrock

Feb 4, 2011, 5:39 AM
Post #45 of 136 (11519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] A story of motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I can vouch for this. I belayed gmburns while he didn't climb shit.

Admittedly, though, I had a hard time following the not shit. Unsure

snoopy138

Feb 4, 2011, 6:50 AM
Post #46 of 136 (11504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
Motivation by hatred of yore enemies to send, is powerfull. Winning teh free shoes, well that just AWESOME!

Like most, I have had my ups and downs and have used many things to motivate my climbing preformance. To bout my buddies, win teh girl, get sponcership... ect.

... a year ago I wus weke, hurt, blorted and with no motivation to climb. Sure, I wood get to teh crag enough, but when I wus there awl I wanted to do wus shoot myself in teh fase. My climbing sucked and I hated myself and everyone around me.

Then I started to won star JT512's posts and things started to turn around. Soon I had a smile on my fase, I lost sum blort, my arm started hurting a little less and I actually wanted to go climbing. And when I wus at teh crag... I wus redsighting, tronpoynting, werking moves, getting shit done.

At first I wusn't sure about teh coralation, so I stop won staring JT512's posts... and almost immediately fell back in to my slump.

Still, won staring JT512's posts, is like sum kind of wonder drug. I'm sending several grades harder than before and awl my injuries seem to have gone away. I don't even have to go to teh gym anymore to stay in shape. I just sit down every nite and go tru a bunch of JT512's posts and give 'em awl a won star and BAM! I gets results.

Sure, I've read teh Self Coached Climber, Performance Rock and Rock Warrior's Way, but none of them wus as effective at improving my climbing, as won staring JT512's posts.

So If yore finger hurts, feeling a little fat or yore just not happy with yore climbing... Try won staring JT512's post. It werked for me, just might werk for ewe too.

I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks, so I may try this and see how I climb tonight.

If I remember correctly... didn't ewe won star a bunch of JT512's post just before ewe lost awl that baby blort and then went on to send teh Warm Up?

Well, I am back from teh gym, and ... that shit works! Hadn't bouldered in there in ages, and was cruising white porblems and even zent a brown porblem. Looks like I have a lot of one-starring of JT512 posts in my future.

jt512

Feb 4, 2011, 7:35 AM
Post #47 of 136 (11493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
tripperjm wrote:

Well, I am back from teh gym, and ... that shit works! Hadn't bouldered in there in ages, and was cruising white porblems and even zent a brown porblem. Looks like I have a lot of one-starring of JT512 posts in my future.

That's pushing the plausibility envelope a bit too far.

Jay

enigma

Feb 4, 2011, 8:15 AM
Post #48 of 136 (11486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Deep down I am a lazy climber. I have a tendency to climb the stuff that I'm good at, and not try very hard. This is a story about trying hard.

A little more than two years ago, I quit my jorb to go climbing. I had high hopes of meeting lots of cute girls and bagging the classics. Well, a week after I gave my notice but before I was actually done working I met my girlfriend. So the hotties were out the window, and it was going to be about bagging the classics.

Then the gauntlet was dropped, and the shoes thrown. I was challenged by another climber to head down south and climb a steep physical training route known as the $20 hooker. The grade of the hooker was somewhat in doubt. Going with the laugh grade, ie, what you can call it without actually laughing, it goes at .11b. Other sources put the Hooker as high as .12b.

The bet was as follows: I send the Hooker in one day, and I win a pair of shoes. Free shoes! I love free stuff.

I fail to send the Hooker in a day, and I dance for the camera in my grots. Now, I don't fear other people looking at this porcelain adonis, but the pointing and laughing I just couldn't bear.

So I fled. I didn't get within 50 miles of the $20 Hooker for two years. I had climbed 5.12 in the past, before a couple hand injuries set me back. I hid on the low angle dummy domes. I cowered in the pillow soft grades of indian creek. Before long, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror.

What to do? I couldn't hide any more. During this time I had been mocked and ridiculed by those who knew of the bet, despite my tales of AWESOMENESS about the creek, the red, the high sierra, the needles and those other needles.

I needed to motivate. To face my fears of the mockery. So I went to the gym and started to pull.

After three sessions, I realized the answer wasn't in the gym. It was the faces of my enemies! Arrogant_bastard, snoopy and jim. I began to train again secretly. I could see them laughing at me in my mind, and I could pull harder. I could visualize them crying the real tearz as I sent, and I felt weightless, effortlessly moving up the overhang.

My hatred fully channelized, and my fingers the steel hooks bachar spoke of, I loaded up the car with my dog and my self respect when my girlfriend said it was ok, and drove down to challenge myself on the Hooker.

Snoppy and Jim weren't going to make it easy, plying me with several margaritas the night before. But it was do or die, and I was primed to kill.

I should mention that despite his unseemly desire to see me do the grots dance, Jim did give me the full beta spray down on the Hooker. Got the full walk through on the beta, with the crux location and secret, and an in depth description of each grip.

I stood below the Hooker. I gathered my thoughts. If I sent, I could vanquish my foes. With any luck, they would even quit climbing.

The route was easy!! The pump didn't even hit me until after I clipped the chains I was so focused!! I had Onflashed the $20 Hooker!! I had won the boots!! The boys would be pissed!! My girlfriend wouldn't care!! I had found the motivation I needed to climb hard!!

[IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/caughtinside_bucket/photo-9.jpg[/IMG]

Motivation for me turned out to be a two year process. Do you have any motivational secrets?

What do you think?

The motivation worked, you got the ruby slippers.
Now put them on and never take them off they are magic.
The secret is believing in yourself. Along with opportunity, time, and ability and some luck.
Good Story!! What's next on your hit list?

imnotclever

Feb 4, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #49 of 136 (11465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Woo! Motivation PTFTW!

This may be all I need to keep my hand on that sloper!

sungam

Feb 4, 2011, 1:36 PM
Post #50 of 136 (11462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still think it's moar likely you just cupped 'em real good and the jak gave you some shooz to not tell anyone.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook