Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #1 of 32 (15250 views)
Shortcut

Broken Toe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not a troll, serious question.

So, I kicked the living fucking shit out of heavy chair a little less than a week ago whilst walking to the kitchen in the dark. Stubbed toes normally feel OK the next day, but this is lingering. It was swollen the next day, but not black and blue. I assume it is broken. (just the toe, not my foot).

Now then, I've always heard that there's nothing one can do regarding broken toes. The bones are too small and all that one should do is tape the toe to another toe so that they are together. I was even told not to go to the doctor because I'm going to end up shelling out duckets for the same answer when I could just do this for free.

However, a friend recently told me that he had a friend who broke his toe and didn't go to the doctor. He wasn't sure on the details, but the general idea was that the toe didn't heal correctly, that somehow it wasn't the bones that "reattached" but only the cartilage (don't shoot me, I don't know the anatomy of a toe and neither did he).

The final obstacle isn't much of one: If I go to the hospital then I need to go with a friend to translate, even though most doctors down here in Chile studied in the US. However, the receptionists probably didn't.

So, do I go to the doctor or not? Doctors? Folks with horror stories?

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #2 of 32 (15249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and oh yeah, I tried to climb on it yesterday and it was a no-go. It was slab and crack, so there was a lot of pressure on this one toe (right foot, second one in from the pinky). I figure I can climb overhanging stuff if the hands or feet are reasonable, but that's pretty limited to a couple of areas in Santiago.

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #3 of 32 (15248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mods, if you think this would work in injuries and treatment then please move it there. I put it here just because I wasn't sure.

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #4 of 32 (15247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko

Feb 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #5 of 32 (15244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Mods, if you think this would work in injuries and treatment then please move it there. I put it here just because I wasn't sure.

It's an injury, and it's affecting your climbing. Seems like a good fit to me.

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #6 of 32 (15218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Thanks!

blondgecko

Feb 14, 2011, 1:01 PM
Post #7 of 32 (15210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Thanks!

No worries. I wish I had an answer on the toe, but anything I came up with would be straight from the Université de Google. Good luck with it!

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 1:08 PM
Post #8 of 32 (15209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Thanks!

No worries. I wish I had an answer on the toe, but anything I came up with would be straight from the Université de Google. Good luck with it!

Yeah, went to school there and didn't graduate with any useful skills.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 14, 2011, 1:09 PM
Post #9 of 32 (15208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My son (10) did just about the same thing, only he was chasing a dog around inside a friends house. Fortunately for us, the friend is an ER doc. He did the quick protocol check and said "yup broken". Since the kid is 10, we did nothing but wrapped it (mostly to slow him down). Six weeks later he was running full speed again.

My wife (40+) in all likelihood is walking around with a broken foot. She injured it while doing kicking drills in Krav. It is eight weeks into the injury and she isn't 100% healed. She also broke her foot years ago, and limped around for about 8 weeks.

Given your situation, you should be able to find (in English) the protocol to check your foot. You are right, that there isn't much that is done for broken bones in the foot.

Broken or not, you will need to let it rest to let it heal. Sorry 'bout your luck.

Gmburns2000

Feb 14, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #10 of 32 (15200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
My son (10) did just about the same thing, only he was chasing a dog around inside a friends house. Fortunately for us, the friend is an ER doc. He did the quick protocol check and said "yup broken". Since the kid is 10, we did nothing but wrapped it (mostly to slow him down). Six weeks later he was running full speed again.

My wife (40+) in all likelihood is walking around with a broken foot. She injured it while doing kicking drills in Krav. It is eight weeks into the injury and she isn't 100% healed. She also broke her foot years ago, and limped around for about 8 weeks.

Given your situation, you should be able to find (in English) the protocol to check your foot. You are right, that there isn't much that is done for broken bones in the foot.

Broken or not, you will need to let it rest to let it heal. Sorry 'bout your luck.

Cool, thanks.

The research that I've done so far suggests not going to the doctor. The break isn't compound (or open), there isn't any tingling or numbness, no black and blue, and once I get going, it doesn't really hurt to walk. It is a little sore to walk, and it is painful in the very beginning once I put shoes on, but once I get going either the pain subsides or I get over it. I couldn't however, get over the pain of a particular edge I had to use at the start of climb yesterday.

I'm trying to not e-mail my doctor at home because he's going to play it safe and say go anyway. That's why I'm trying to get a feel for what others have done.

traddad

Feb 14, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 32 (15171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My son (10) blah blah.

You have kids? (shudder)

rock_fencer

Feb 14, 2011, 4:02 PM
Post #12 of 32 (15159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonder if you could find a thing stiff piece of plastic to put under the big toe to transfer weight onto your midfoot so you can still climb

walkonyourhands

Feb 14, 2011, 4:11 PM
Post #13 of 32 (15156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

So, I kicked the living fucking shit out of heavy chair a little less than a week ago whilst walking to the kitchen in the dark. Stubbed toes normally feel OK the next day, but this is lingering. It was swollen the next day, but not black and blue. I assume it is broken. (just the toe, not my foot).

Now then, I've always heard that there's nothing one can do regarding broken toes. The bones are too small and all that one should do is tape the toe to another toe so that they are together. I was even told not to go to the doctor because I'm going to end up shelling out duckets for the same answer when I could just do this for free.

However, a friend recently told me that he had a friend who broke his toe and didn't go to the doctor. He wasn't sure on the details, but the general idea was that the toe didn't heal correctly, that somehow it wasn't the bones that "reattached" but only the cartilage (don't shoot me, I don't know the anatomy of a toe and neither did he).

The final obstacle isn't much of one: If I go to the hospital then I need to go with a friend to translate, even though most doctors down here in Chile studied in the US. However, the receptionists probably didn't.

I did the exact same thing some years ago (kicked a heavy chair) and hurt my right pinkie. It was swollen and a bit numb. I put ice on it and later taped it to the toe next to it. Went climbing (taped up) the next days, small, granite crystals, and was more or less OK. Didn't go see the doc. Everything was fine after a week or so.

That being said, I'm not even sure it was broken, but I strongly suspect it. I had heard the same thing about a treatment not making sense, but I've also heard that fat or protein from the marrow (?) leaking into blood vessels being dangerous (Thrombosis ?).

Of course, that doesn't help with your decision, but it's some input at least. Hope in heals up soon.

(This post was edited by walkonyourhands on Feb 14, 2011, 4:14 PM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #14 of 32 (15116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
wonder if you could find a thing stiff piece of plastic to put under the big toe to transfer weight onto your midfoot so you can still climb

It's actually the second toe in from the pinky, but maybe that would work. Interesting enough to try.

The only thing is that my shoes are kind of tight, so I wonder what kind of discomfort I'd feel with the extra object in there.

Gmburns2000

Feb 15, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #15 of 32 (15115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

walkonyourhands wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I did the exact same thing some years ago (kicked a heavy chair) and hurt my right pinkie. It was swollen and a bit numb. I put ice on it and later taped it to the toe next to it. Went climbing (taped up) the next days, small, granite crystals, and was more or less OK. Didn't go see the doc. Everything was fine after a week or so.

That being said, I'm not even sure it was broken, but I strongly suspect it. I had heard the same thing about a treatment not making sense, but I've also heard that fat or protein from the marrow (?) leaking into blood vessels being dangerous (Thrombosis ?).

Of course, that doesn't help with your decision, but it's some input at least. Hope in heals up soon.

I finally e-mailed my doc and he said to give it 7-10 days to see if the pain goes away. If it does, he says it's just a simple break and isn't serious (based on the lack of color and disfiguration).

Taping is a bit of a pain in the ass. The two larger toes next to this one are webbed together, so taping to three toes is the only option.

caughtinside

Feb 15, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #16 of 32 (15098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amputacion!

Gmburns2000

Feb 15, 2011, 2:15 AM
Post #17 of 32 (15086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Amputacion!

Tried that, but the toe has apparently built an arsenal of weapons so large that I'm going to need to give Janet Reno a call if I want to go that route. It shot off my right arm earlier in the day...that's going to make that route I've been working even harder now.Unsure

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 15, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #18 of 32 (15022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
My son (10) blah blah.

You have kids? (shudder)

Be afraid, be very afraid.

My wife was so happy when someome recognized her in this photo.

enigma

Feb 16, 2011, 7:03 AM
Post #19 of 32 (14977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
walkonyourhands wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I finally e-mailed my doc and he said to give it 7-10 days to see if the pain goes away. If it does, he says it's just a simple break and isn't serious (based on the lack of color and disfiguration).

Taping is a bit of a pain in the ass. The two larger toes next to this one are webbed together, so taping to three toes is the only option.

I think you should find a popsicle stick or similiar and tape the three toes together if it hurts.
Once my foot fell through a hole and turned all purple and blue it hurt so much, I could barely walk but it healed .
You suppose to be a strong man climbing , not so whiney.
Don't you have any locals to chat with, and have coffee ? Tongue
Most people would love to be on a climbing vacation in Chile and you are complaining????
Over a boo boo on your toe.Laugh
Its not like a boulder fell on top of you and now you have to cut off your arm or die !!!!!

(This post was edited by enigma on Feb 16, 2011, 7:05 AM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #20 of 32 (14951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
walkonyourhands wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I think you should find a popsicle stick or similiar and tape the three toes together if it hurts.
Once my foot fell through a hole and turned all purple and blue it hurt so much, I could barely walk but it healed .
You suppose to be a strong man climbing , not so whiney.
Don't you have any locals to chat with, and have coffee ? Tongue
Most people would love to be on a climbing vacation in Chile and you are complaining????
Over a boo boo on your toe.Laugh
Its not like a boulder fell on top of you and now you have to cut off your arm or die !!!!!

BUT IT HURTS!!!!FrownFrownFrown

Yeah, bought tape the other day. Taping it makes it feel odd. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

What the hell does coffee have to do with anything?

sp115

Feb 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #21 of 32 (14944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

I've broken a few bones (hands, fingers, feet, and toes, and even my back years ago.), and I'm recovering from a either a minor fracture/severe sprain of two toe toes right now. Normally I go for a quick x-ray if the pain is intense and doesn't dissipate after a few days. There isn’t much they've ever done, but as I understand it if appears the bones may not heal properly without surgery then it's best to get in there sooner rather than later.

Gmburns2000

Feb 16, 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #22 of 32 (14940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I've broken a few bones (hands, fingers, feet, and toes, and even my back years ago.), and I'm recovering from a either a minor fracture/severe sprain of two toe toes right now. Normally I go for a quick x-ray if the pain is intense and doesn't dissipate after a few days. There isn’t much they've ever done, but as I understand it if appears the bones may not heal properly without surgery then it's best to get in there sooner rather than later.

Yeah, mainly because there's no discoloration or bones poking through, I was told to wait about 7-10 days with it taped to see how it responds. After that, then go to the doctor.

We'll see. Walking is easier for sure now than it was, but that maybe me simply getting used to the pain better.

spikeddem

Feb 16, 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #23 of 32 (14912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
My son (10) blah blah.

You have kids? (shudder)

Blue Mounds!

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 16, 2011, 6:28 PM
Post #24 of 32 (14905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Broken Toe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
traddad wrote:
My son (10) blah blah.

You have kids? (shudder)

Blue Mounds!

Bing bing bing, right the first time. Right around the Kanarazi corner.

ilikepargo

Feb 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #25 of 32 (14872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm laughing (in a bad way) at your reason for not e-mailing your doctor.

You don't really know what's going on with your toe. Getting it X-Rayed can resolve that. If it's really messed up, you many need surgery to make it right again. If not, at least you can have a better sense of confidence in that knowledge. It may not even be broken. If it isn't, knowing will help you to feel better and to make better decisions.

Either way, don't climb. Stay off of it in general. If you keep working it, it will heal more slowly.

Any bone that is broken takes weeks rather than days to heal. A bone in the foot takes longer because the blood flow is lower. Elevate your foot as much as possible. That improves blood flow and makes healing quicker.

BTW - I'm not a doctor. Instead, I'm a guy who broke his 5th metatarsal in a lead-fall. It didn't hurt much, so I put on my pack and hiked two miles out to my truck, drove the 2 hours home, and didn't get the X-Ray 'till the next day. Even then, it didn't hurt much so I climbed a ladder to harvest bananas a couple of days later. It broke worse while I was climbing back down the ladder. It took surgery, 2 screws, and a loop of wire (still in my foot) to fix things. Crutches for two months and out of climbing for four.

"Better safe than sorry" = WISDOM. If you really think it might be broken, then go to a doctor, get an X-Ray, stay off of it, and give it time. It's better to be out of climbing for a few weeks than to let it heal wrong and be hampered by it for the rest of your life.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook