Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Getting the smell out of climbing shoes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

l3uddy789

Mar 29, 2011, 6:17 AM
Post #1 of 35 (26287 views)
Shortcut

Getting the smell out of climbing shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey RC, so my climbing shoes have always smelt rank and I just thought it was because they were old. I got a new pair of shoes last week and have climbed in them about five times. They already smell dreadful and make me feet smell for hours after I wear them if I don't shower. So my question is, is there some type of really powerful cleaner I can use to get the smell out? My gym has some random brand spray they use for all their rental shoes but when I tried it on my shoes it made no difference in smell.

squierbypetzl

Mar 29, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #2 of 35 (26268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [l3uddy789] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the odor is really, really bad maybe the problem isn't the shoes? Thankfully I've never had smelly troubles with any of my shoes, but I have found that leather shoes tend to foster that problem more than synthetics, but that may be because I subject the latter to a harder wash. If your feet sweat a lot, that could be what's causing your problem, try different materials or foot powder (or anti perspirant if you're desperate). Non-oily climbing chalk also works well to help keep your toes dry, but excess use could easily cause your skin to crack, and hellooo infections.

I always open my shoes and leave them to dry for a while after use, preferably outside though not always directly in the sun (that tends to shrink the shoes a bit, which can either feel good or annoy me depending on my mood). I store them stuffed with newspaper, and occasionally give the insides a good hard scrub with liquid soap and a plastic brush. One of my students puts a little baggie made of a woman's stocking filled with potpourri in each of her shoes.

Bats

Mar 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #3 of 35 (26238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Baking soda...its cheap. Leave it in a couple days, and knock the excess soda out. If you don't you will a paste in your shoes the next time you climb.

scottek67

Mar 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #4 of 35 (26224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
If the odor is really, really bad maybe the problem isn't the shoes!

spikeddem

Mar 29, 2011, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 35 (26200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try showering before, rather than after.

FWIW, if they're evolv shoes, you will not get the smell out. I no longer buy evolv shoes. I've had four different brands, and evolvs are the only ones to ever stink.

Read about it from an OP rep on this board (do a search for stinky evolv shoes).

Rudmin

Mar 29, 2011, 2:41 PM
Post #6 of 35 (26184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have sweaty feet and have had good success rubbing crystal salt deoderant on my toes before climbing. You can find it in most any hippie supply store and some drug stores. As I understand it, the idea is to basically turn your sweat into a salty brine that cannot sustain bacterial life.

ENARE

Mar 29, 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #7 of 35 (26167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:
Hey RC, so my climbing shoes have always smelt rank and I just thought it was because they were old. I got a new pair of shoes last week and have climbed in them about five times. They already smell dreadful and make me feet smell for hours after I wear them if I don't shower. So my question is, is there some type of really powerful cleaner I can use to get the smell out? My gym has some random brand spray they use for all their rental shoes but when I tried it on my shoes it made no difference in smell.

Cleaning your climbing shoes with water and soap should not be a consideration. The trick to getting rid of the smell is to clean your shoes without damaging the leather. As a disclaimer, you should not have high expectations for your shoes to smell like roses and anything you decide to do will probably not work as well as we would like, and I think it is good to expect that your climbing shoes are going to smell no matter how much work you put into them. But, this is definitely one of the joys of being a climber, and the worse your shoes stink the better a climber you probably are.

1. Pull your climbing shoes out of your bag after climbing and let them air out -bacteria grows less in drier environments.

2. Use a disinfecting and deodorizing spray but make sure you let them completely air out before wearing them again.
Lysol Disinfecting Spray or a bowling shoes disinfectant .
A more natural option is McNett MiraZyme (a naturally occuring enzyme based odor eliminator; requires you to purchase a a spray bottle sand mix the solution before hand )

3. Do not leave your shoes in your car.

4. Some people have recommended a sock ball of cedar chips – this will not kill the bacteria but it will help mask the smell effectively.

5. Wear thin socks or liners with your shoe -not recommended for aggressive shoes.

6. Do not wear open toed shoes on your approach – more bacteria and dirt will get on your feet and spread when you wear your climbing shoes.

7. Not always practical once you have climbing shoes, but unlined leather shoes or shoes lined with natural materials seem to smell the least and look out for shoes with synthetic liners, they smell the worst.

8. If none of these work, try not smelling the shoes – this may be your best bet.

9. Have a little fun with it and next time you have a passenger in the car play some Lyryrd Skynyrd “That Smell”.
I hope that this helps, you will likely still have problems with the smell even if you did everything here. But it may help ease your mind if you try them.
Remember, you can always smell a good climber.

From: http://breakinginmyshoes.wordpress.com/...climbing-shoe-smell/

tower_climber

Mar 29, 2011, 3:14 PM
Post #8 of 35 (26166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try storing them with a dryer sheet inside each shoe.

lithiummetalman

Mar 29, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #9 of 35 (26143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

-Freeze them to kill bacteria.

-Dryer sheets to make them smell fluffy.

(This post was edited by lithiummetalman on Mar 29, 2011, 3:51 PM)

l3uddy789

Mar 29, 2011, 4:38 PM
Post #10 of 35 (26121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice guys. I might have made this unclear but when I do not think the problem is my shoes, I know it's my feet...

csproul

Mar 29, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #11 of 35 (26105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

lithiummetalman wrote:

This does not work. I have tried it several times. If anything, it made my freezer smell, and the smell in the shoes did not go away.

lithiummetalman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #12 of 35 (26100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
lithiummetalman wrote:

This does not work. I have tried it several times. If anything, it made my freezer smell, and the smell in the shoes did not go away.

Freeze the freezer!Wink

dudlej01

Mar 29, 2011, 5:49 PM
Post #13 of 35 (26071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried all of the traditional fixes (baking soda, freezing, etc.) on my old (5.10 synthetic) shoes, none of them worked.

I even tried this: http://www.mcnett.com/...Eliminator-P170.aspx
Which seemed to help a bit, but not enough, in the end I gave up and threw the shoes out.

I've found that leather shoes are better (less smelly), and what I do now with my shoes is give them a spray with this after each climb
http://www.mcnett.com/...Eliminator-P170.aspx
and then store them out of the bag with a shoe plug inside (you could also use a chamois, newspaper, just anything to absorb the moisture). So far that has done the trick.

I think in this case, as usual, prevention is better than cure. Smile

(This post was edited by dudlej01 on Mar 29, 2011, 5:50 PM)

aprice00

Mar 29, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #14 of 35 (26049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
lithiummetalman wrote:

Why would you do this?
#1 its not going to take the smell away.
#2 As far a bacterial growth, freezing just slows down their metabolism, or makes them go dormant.

After you stink up your icecream samiches the condition of your shoes is going to be virtually unchanged.

Edit to elaborate

(This post was edited by aprice00 on Mar 29, 2011, 6:19 PM)

lithiummetalman

Mar 29, 2011, 9:37 PM
Post #15 of 35 (25992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand corrected! (Shearing of cells can occur from freezing but not the most effective method)

Though, drying shoes out to reduce aW potential and then freezing them afterwards works, I can attest since my shoes don't stink to me...well...ehhh....food on the other hand...

Thank goodness for Appendix A!

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/fr/95033f-a.htm

Happy eatings.

(This post was edited by lithiummetalman on Mar 29, 2011, 9:45 PM)

warrenw

Mar 29, 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #16 of 35 (25970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:
So my question is, is there some type of really powerful cleaner I can use to get the smell out?

Just throw them in the washing machine with a small amount of mild soap. I use roughly a 1/8 cap of Woolite because I think it's mild. Not sure why I think that, though. Any shoe stink has gone away.

You just have to allow time for them to dry. Put them on a fan and they're dry in 12 hours. Hang them up and they're dry in 48 hours. (May vary with local humidity.)

I've never had problems with shoes shrinking or growing or getting funky-shaped. I've washed these at least twice each:

Evolv Optimus (synth)
Scarpa Vision (leather+synth)
Acopa Spectre (canvas-lined leather)
Scarpa Techno (leather+synth)
Sportiva Testarossa (leather+synth)

I have never washed a completely leather unlined shoe, so I cannot attest to that being a good idea.

Also, some say wash them in a mesh bag cuz the rubber marks up the washer a bit. I used to but stopped cuz the marks are few, disappear over time, and seem harmless to clothes washed later.

w

special_blend

Mar 29, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #17 of 35 (25932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The answer is Tea Tree Oil. All the other suggestions here are just crappy, dryer sheets use perfume, lysol smells horrible and is bad for the environment. Lots of other solutions like washing them can also damage the suede and rubber in your shoes.

Put a few drops of TeaTree oil into a spray bottle with water and spray the inside of your shoes with it. It's natural, cheap, kills bacteria and actually smells nice without being perfumey.

(This post was edited by special_blend on Mar 29, 2011, 11:28 PM)

robx

Mar 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #18 of 35 (25924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Try showering before, rather than after.

FWIW, if they're evolv shoes, you will not get the smell out. I no longer buy evolv shoes. I've had four different brands, and evolvs are the only ones to ever stink.

Read about it from an OP rep on this board (do a search for stinky evolv shoes).

absolutely agree. I don't buy leather so I bought a pair of evolv shoes, and they are, by far, the worst smelling shoes I've ever owned. They started smelling faster than any pair of shoes, and they've kept the smell longer than any shoes.

milesenoell

Mar 29, 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #19 of 35 (25917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ENARE wrote:
1. Pull your climbing shoes out of your bag after climbing and let them air out -bacteria grows less in drier environments.

I'd amend the first one to keep your shoes out of bags (clip 'em to the outside), but these two practices have made a huge difference for my shoes.

WoogieMonster

Mar 30, 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #20 of 35 (25911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

washing machine. cold water, NEVER THE DRYER> NEVER. you do not want the shoe to heat up it will cause the glue to delaminate. This method is what I do for my shoes. Never had a delamination. The contact cement should not weaken do to water. Heat is a different story.... Your friends will thank you for it.

JokerRick

Mar 30, 2011, 1:43 PM
Post #21 of 35 (25839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't remember where I read it, but when searching I came a cross a guy who said that he got the idea from a ballerina friend: stuff wads of newspaper in the shoes after climbing. My feet sweat a good bit, and I tried that. It apparently helps soak up the moisture.

My Evolvs still smell, but only if I put them close enough to my face to intentionally sniff-test them. They don't stink up a 30' radius at the gym anymore.

ENARE

Mar 30, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #22 of 35 (25825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [special_blend] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

special_blend wrote:
The answer is Tea Tree Oil. All the other suggestions here are just crappy, dryer sheets use perfume, lysol smells horrible and is bad for the environment. Lots of other solutions like washing them can also damage the suede and rubber in your shoes.

Put a few drops of TeaTree oil into a spray bottle with water and spray the inside of your shoes with it. It's natural, cheap, kills bacteria and actually smells nice without being perfumey.

I have never heard of using tea tree oil but that is definitely a good idea. I have also heard that McNett MiraZyme works as well.

byran

Mar 30, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #23 of 35 (25782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience there's only two things that help the stinky shoes problem:

1. Wear socks while climbing
2. Don't wear Evolves

WoogieMonster

Mar 30, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #24 of 35 (25763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

byran wrote:
In my experience there's only two things that help the stinky shoes problem:

1. Wear socks while climbing
2. Don't wear Evolves

truth!

fxgranite

Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 PM
Post #25 of 35 (25754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Getting the smell out of climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
ENARE wrote:

I'd amend the first one to keep your shoes out of bags (clip 'em to the outside), but these two practices have made a huge difference for my shoes.

I actually wrap my shoes in my rope back and stick them in the trunk specifically so they stay damp. It's much easier for me to get them on again next time. Do not ask me how they smell Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook