RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Wall-Ninja

Jul 21, 2011, 7:54 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1795 views)
Shortcut

My arm needs your help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, yesterday, I dino'ed to a two finger hold with my left hand... I thought I could move my right arm to a better hold before I fell off that. But after sticking it I immediately let go because a semi sharp pain shot down my left ring finger down my forearm. now the forearm and palm is sore. I am unsure what I pulled but after trying to continue I knew immediately I was done for the night.. Any Idea;s of what I did to my hand and how to help it heal??? I've been climbing on off since I was 9 but never actually gotten hurt like this so I am a little clueless of what to do. Let me know.
P.S. It's not the finger it's self that hurts so probably/hopefully not a pulley tear in the finger.
Thanks ~Bryan

qtrollip

Jul 21, 2011, 8:29 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wall-Ninja] My arm needs your help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It sounds like you injured the flexor tendon of the ring finger. It is difficult to know what degree of injury it is, but the initial treatment would be rest and ice. No gripping, no climbing this weekend!
Get a towel and roll it up, rest your palm over the towel so the fingers are at a relaxed bent position. The wrist should be in neutral.
See how it feels after 5 days decent rest. If stii a lot of pain/discomfort, see your GP or physio to assess the degree of injury and suggest a prognosis.

mr.tastycakes

Jul 21, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wall-Ninja] My arm needs your help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sounds like a classic flexor tendon injury. If you've got health insurance i'd get it checked out to assess the severity of it.

I had the same injury about 1.5 years ago, took me 2-3 months to regain my pre-injury form. Don't test it, don't stretch it. Ice and range of motion exercises are good. Sorry bud, good luck.

Wall-Ninja

Jul 23, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] My arm needs your help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll take it. I had already planned to climb again today but called it off. Ya I think I'll give it at least a week and a half before testing it much. I figure I'll be a lot more careful now. I heard that as climbers our "flexor" tendons/muscles get pretty yoked but if we allow our a imbalance between them and the muscles needed to open the fingers it increases the chance of an injury. Any truth to that anyone?

Again thx for the info, i'll be careful (especially cause I don't have health insurance right now) >.<

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook